Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new place, grab a cup, and pull up a rock to sit on. The movers haven't gotten the furniture here yet.

Good Morning All. 46° and foggy again. Had some thunderstorms after sunset yesterday, 2.75" of rain fell over a three hour span.
Had visitors to the train shed yesterday, an old co-worker who lives nearby brought his eight year old son over (been here before), to look at trains and get some minor repairs done on his brand new Athearn BNSF diesel. I adjusted the wheel gauge on the six-wheel trucks and changed the rear coupler for a Kadee #26 long shank coupler, so he wouldn't experience derailments around his tight radius curves. Mom was especially interested in structures and scenes while Dad intently watched the repairs. Later I continued wiring and track fastening and testing my work on the layout. With the addition of all of this new track and staging yard over the last six months, I have been able to remove almost all freight cars from their temporary storage shelves; and I still have room!

Beady - Jaques Demolay - It is astounding, his life summary is one of the most complex that I have ever read. Funny that I remember him as well.
I'm trainless! Sob.
Don't be so hard on yourself...Oh wait, that's sob as in crying!!!:D
Curt - Pleasant to hear that the open house was so successful. Next weekend is the winter train show in the Dallas area, put on by an association of many local clubs, many LHS's and traveling dealers. The highlight for me is the home layout tours, there are usually between 28-32 layouts in the Dallas - Ft Worth area to visit. Both clubs and private layouts. Generally only a few bargains at the over 100 dealer tables though. It may be different close to closing time, but I am long gone by then.
Justin - A little gentle filing underneath can usually fix the truck/frame problem.

No school in Texas today to commemorate Robert E Lee's birthday, although in most urban areas it's also known as MLK day.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning fellers. Happy MLK day. I actually took a personal holiday today not for MLK but because today is also my wife's birthday. So I'm shooting to make this day special to her. Willie I actually did try the file idea once. It didn't pan out either. Though when I did it I didn't know what I was doing and just went with it. I do have it running good now. Better than what it was before so I cant complain.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning. 11 above to start off the day. I will have a cup, black with a sweet roll.

Eric - Texted eric this morning and he's having a rough time right now. Chemo and radiation are on the schedule for him today. Told him that we are all pulling for him.

I did putz around in the train room yesterday both running trains and working on some scenery and other small detail items. May have to put a sound locomotive on the tracks next time. My old Atlas RS units are so quiet that I have to look around the layout to see if it is still running. Now that the driveway has been plowed and cleaned up I do have more time to spend in the train room. Here's a shot I took Saturday. Looks like I have the start of a glacier on the right side of the photo. May have to get the skis steer out and move it.

IMAG1008.jpg

Karl - Nice photo of the Chessie unit. I can see that Justin enjoyed it. Hope things work out with the union negotiations for him. Glad that the remotoring workee out for you. All of my old Athearn locomotives were remotored decades ago and they are still running almost as good as my Atlas RS units.

Garry = I run the NP business car the same way, with a Stainless sleeper between it and the rest of the train. Too bad the color isn't correct on the business car as it is a nice unit.

Curt - Those signs are from Tichy. From what I could find, they seem to be the best.

Beady - Hoping that you'll get your basement back soon.

Have a few new photos to post on my Logan Valley post. Get to them later.

Now off to work.

Good Morning - 45* going up to about 66* today with more clear and calm. They, the guessers, say that more rain is in the future - sure hope so. The Packers won by a gnats hind end, so I'm a happy camper - which reminds me that I am getting itchy to hit the road with the RV again.

Beady .. hope you get your basement back pretty quick - I hate to see a grown man cry; but rather I hope that the asbestos problem that you had will be taken care of.

CURT Hope that your daughter recovers quickly - shame that she had to have done that - scary!

WILLIE - Your a good guy to take the time to fix the younger model rr guy's engine. Good idea adding the longer shank coupler. Sorry about the Cowboys yesterday. I really began to think that they were going to win it. They sure had the momentum flowing in their direction.

CHET = Nice photo - beautiful! How thick is the crust on the ground? Glad to hear that you heard back from Eric.
My BIL starts his second week today of radiation for his prostate cancer. He is feeling the effects pretty bad and he has five more weeks to go.

Well, the asbestos is all gone, and the guy who's going to do the waterproofing just left. 2-3 weeks and $6k, he says. That's for an interior weeping tile/French drain and sump pump. It also means we'll have to hire a couple of teenagers to shift our pile of possessions into the middle of the basement. Then we have to decide whether to epoxy the floor, which would be another 2 weeks, $2k, and more shifting.

Sigh.

I need a beer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Beady - Your basement water issue is only being hidden by the guy. The real problem is water seeping through the concrete or cinder block wall. The real problem that is hidden is that the lime that holds the concrete together is being washed out of the wall. That's the white scale that you sometimes see on the wall. Without that important ingredient, you wall becomes brittle and leaks more water from the outside.
Ask your repair guy what he intends to do about the outside of the wall where the water problem begins.
I used to do basement water proofing near Detroit. Customers always wanted to go with the cheapest fix which is basically what your guy is doing for you. Just treat the symptom instead of controlling the water.
Though it may be more expensive, the best fix is to excavate the walls, reapply the tar sealant and replace crushed or blocked French drain or leach pipe. Back fill with gravel then grade the surface material so water will naturally flow away from your house. The gravel will help water flow down directly to the leach pipe and away from the house. Also, check all your downspouts and gutters. If you have water pouring out of those onto the ground right next to the house, you are only feeding the problem. Downspouts should be fed into underground drain pipes that take the water out away from the house. Leaking or blocked gutters should be repaired so all water goes to downspouts.

Beady - Your basement water issue is only being hidden by the guy. The real problem is water seeping through the concrete or cinder block wall. The real problem that is hidden is that the lime that holds the concrete together is being washed out of the wall. That's the white scale that you sometimes see on the wall. Without that important ingredient, you wall becomes brittle and leaks more water from the outside.
Ask your repair guy what he intends to do about the outside of the wall where the water problem begins.
I used to do basement water proofing near Detroit. Customers always wanted to go with the cheapest fix which is basically what your guy is doing for you. Just treat the symptom instead of controlling the water.
Though it may be more expensive, the best fix is to excavate the walls, reapply the tar sealant and replace crushed or blocked French drain or leach pipe. Back fill with gravel then grade the surface material so water will naturally flow away from your house. The gravel will help water flow down directly to the leach pipe and away from the house. Also, check all your downspouts and gutters. If you have water pouring out of those onto the ground right next to the house, you are only feeding the problem. Downspouts should be fed into underground drain pipes that take the water out away from the house. Leaking or blocked gutters should be repaired so all water goes to downspouts.
Well, I would prefer an exterior fix, like you describe, but it's not in what I laughingly describe as the budget. I have seen these interior systems before, though, and don't have a problem with them. Btw, there is no sign of water seepage from the walls, it's all from the floor. The walls are concrete, painted white.

It wasn't a really severe problem before and if we hadn't had the backup, which triggered the tile removal, I would have been content to leave it all alone.

If the water is only from the floor, then you have a high water table around your house. The sump pump is the primary item needed to take care of the problem then. There should be a layer of gravel under the basement floor which helps the flow of water to a low point. By installing a sump pump anywhere in the floor, you can lower the water level for the whole basement and not have to install the water channels at the cove joint.

Hello Everybody, You might get a kick out of this, I recently went both steam and flex track at the same time and I'm new at this. It's nothing crazy just a 2-6-0 no need for long turns right? Well I couldn't keep the thing on the track. New joints, cutting, soldering, scraping the terrain to level it. (It might as well have been prototype track) turns out (I believe) the guide wheels were on upside down. Too much play, bounce off the track and that's where the train goes. Upside down from the factory by the way. Now it seems fine. What a frustrating couple of days.

Afternoon All,

Ooh..Aah the Coffee Shop is so shiny:cool:. Did a couple of small chores around the house and then the grand kids were here. Quiet returned about 1 PM and I built, painted,and weathered the Crane Boom support pier which will go on the flat car. I will try to remember a picture tomorrow. I built it out of wood like the storage box. Next is to make up some lifting cables for storage in the box. I also rearranged my tool boxes in the train room to look at how much room I have to get around when the extension is put in.

Thursday Phil and I are going to get together at our friend Jon's house for a couple of hours. Always a fun time.

Beady- Remember, it's all the process to get you to trains, but I understand it being frustrating.

Justin- Nice video. Happy Birthday to your wife.

Willie- I was wondering if it is nice having a fellow MRR neighbor?

Chet- Nice pics on your RR thread. I find on some of their signs appear oversized (diamond RR crossing), but I do have a lot of their detail parts on my layout. By the way you can have the snow and the "mini glacier":).

Greg- We can all sympathize with you. That or something like it has happened to all of us at some point.

Louis- Terrible news about that house fire in Baltimore.

Eric- I hope you are doing OK. I keep you in my thoughts.

VA Ken- That is a lot of parts and pieces! You must have a rock solid hand. I can't do a straight line if my life depended on it.

I hope everybody has a good night.

Howdy..

Shelley and I are leaving for AZ tomorrow. We will see our younger daughter and her husband.

Cheers.

Hey Garry - Have a safe trip. I presume you are driving. Probably a couple days drive when traveling with a family. The last time I drove out to Cottonwood in 2010, I drove straight through, 2300 some miles, non-stop. Took about 33 hours from Stafford, VA.

Good evening. It's cloudy and 50.
For those that haven't heard, Hornby has announced their Rivarossi subsidiary is exiting the US/North American market. Current speculation is financial difficulties at the parent company are driving this decision.

Well, the asbestos is all gone, and the guy who's going to do the waterproofing just left. 2-3 weeks and $6k, he says. That's for an interior weeping tile/French drain and sump pump. It also means we'll have to hire a couple of teenagers to shift our pile of possessions into the middle of the basement. Then we have to decide whether to epoxy the floor, which would be another 2 weeks, $2k, and more shifting.

Sigh.

I need a beer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. We did the basement shuffle several times, from removing the carpet, to machine finishing the concrete to remove all the adhesive, then priming the floor then finally laying the new flooring, aye carumba! many a night I went to bed with aching muscles. But it looks wonderful now~!!!:D

Hmmm,,new place

Can I sit on the milk crate for a spell?

Garry, goin on a trip? Safe travels, and don't worry about a thing, we'll treat it like our own! :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPiBiMa0TU

Eric Don't feel you must appear every day, Don't worry about us, you work on you. We'll all be here when you get better.

Been fiddling with a project here a little, converting a Mehano 4-8-2 into a B&O T class.

BOT5555.jpg

Building the air pump cover has been a real pistol!

20170115_220328.jpg

Almost bedtime, catch y'all tomorrow!

Back