Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

EXCELLENT! I knew it had to be something small and from what I've seen of your abilities I was very confident it would be no trouble for you to have it ship shape in no time. It was during a "mass movement" when many were running that it went kerflooey.

Had that happen the last time I was running a distributed power consist after a track short (not mine), the 2 in the middle wouldn't respond on start back up, no sound, nothing. In desperation I set them to CV19=0 and killed the consist and rebuilt it. Good to know it just wasn't me.

Afternoon All,

Changed the water filter in the refrigerator today and vacuumed the couches. In the world of MRR'ing I had a major achievement. I finally got the first signal head lit! I know you guys thought I would never get to this based on how long it took (19 hours). The soldering went well, and I tested the lights before placing in the target head and after gluing. I can't completely finish each head until the black styrene shows up (should of ordered it earlier). The real pain was fitting everything inside the head.

Louis- I used a single sided razor to scrape the wire. My hands were fine but my right elbow was sore.

Beady- Great pictures.

NG- Have fun on your ride.

Garry- Good luck tomorrow.

Karl- I will have to respectfully disagree. As I have mentioned several times on here, I have horrible soldering skills (getting better) and it is getting harder to crawl under the layout. I started my layout 5 years ago and I would say that 99 out of 100 electrical issues are either a bad solder on the track or I hookup to power incorrectly. In my case these connectors are heaven sent. I will say my layout is in my loft (house) and as such has a steady temp, very little humidity, and no vibration. I do agree about MRR magazine. To me it seems like a glossy advertisement for the manufacturers.

20161116_135112_zps97t27lck.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

AND damn bright too!
Nice job, Curt, I don't understand the "strange" pattern ... But maybe you will explain - unless I missed it somewhere?

Is that snow in the background?

Karl- Thanks. A new soldering iron and a training session with my friend Jon did wonders.

Sherrel- Thanks. The indication is Stop-Then Proceed. This is what I will use for leaving sidings onto the main. Yes a snowy towel! LOL.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. I came across a most amazing video. CSX local with an original painted C&O caboose.
https://youtu.be/damd4-J92o8

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Stopped by the fairgrounds in EAGLE Mi. and thought I would get a shot of this one and I come home to see someone has beaten me to it!
DSCF4384.jpgDSCF4385.jpg

I finally managed to get a shot of that gondola with the weeds growing in it.
DSCF4382.jpgDSCF4383.jpgIt's been there for a while.

Requesting help from one of the electrical wizards here: If I solder 2
1 K ohm 1/4 watt resistors in series, will it lower the brightness of the LED's?

Don't get too down new guy. If it's C&O I'll usually find it somewhere. I'm glad you got your gondola shot though. I wished I had gotten a shot of that chessie caboose here in the Charleston yard. It's what I get for not taking an opportunity when I had the chance.

Requesting help from one of the electrical wizards here: If I solder 2
1 K ohm 1/4 watt resistors in series, will it lower the brightness of the LED's?

When connecting resistors in a series circuit the resistance will be the sum of each resistor in the circuit.

If you add them to the circuit you already have shown working it will dim the light, how much I can't say without knowing all the specifications.

you can use alligator clips (or something similar, electrical tape even) to temporarily connect the resistors to see how it looks.

Back