Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good morning folks.

It's raining and cool this morning. Good! That brings people into the furniture store!

Day 18 was yesterday. I honestly never thought I'd do it. I've had my moments so far but the boat is getting up on plane now. Every day is a little different, but a little better for me, and my relationship with my wife. Thank you God!

No modeling this week so far. Now that I have more time, I'm finding more things to do around the house! That's okay. I have some remodeling projects that need to be finished up finally.

Time for work. Have a good day everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl, I see you're peddling some stuff on that evil auction site...

Yes I is. I got talked into peddling some HO trains for a buddy of mine. His mom had inherited from her brother's estate. I went to his house to pick them up. I was surprised to find my pickup truck was filled!!!! Looks like I'll be selling for quite a while :rolleyes:

Good Morning All. 70° and mostly clear this morning. Pool temperature finally got back up to 86° Thursday after falling to 80° on Monday. This is probably the coolest, wettest August that I have experienced. Sorry Sherrel! In the train shed I did some preliminary benchwork for my "turnback" loop for the upper deck. The plan is to have it 64" across so I can comfortably make the radius 30" or so. Cantilevering it over the lower deck seems to be workable, otherwise I will have to add a disguised 2" x 2" support post.
Chet - Enjoyed all of the pictures that you posted yesterday, from the platform to the car dealership. I have to agree with your take on Obamacare. Wait, Obamacare, isn't that an oxymoron? On the other hand, insurance companies have been screwing patients with "pre-existing" conditions for far too long.
Justin - 91° - That ain't nothing here in TX.
Curt - Even though I think I have seen the fueling rack photo before, It was a pleasure seeing it again.
Garry - Time for some infrastructure upgrades, is it? I look forward to your results.

Everyone here have a great day.

Willie
Oh I know my 91 ain't got nothing on the heat of Texas. I'd take dry heat though over humidity anyday

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Afternoon All,

Watched the Tampa game last night. Not much going on this way. MOH and Son are working on a costume for him. He is going to Megacon (or whatever it's called) in Atlanta in about a week with friends.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words on my photo yesterday. I also took a wider version yesterday that I will post today.

Louis- Nice photo.

Chet- Great photos. I purposely did not model a town. I did not think I could do anything near as nice as Chet , Garry and others here.

Garry- Great photo. I look forward to seeing your progress photos.

Corey- That's great news about you and your wife.

20160826_130646_zpsdexftwy2.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Gosh, it's still morning!

Been away from the coffee shop for the last couple of days, there was just a lot of stuff around here that had to get done.

Thanks for the great pictures posted lately.

Corey- there is going to be some days that are going to be not so great, a person sometimes just has to step back and take a deep breath and consider if all the hassle is worth getting all upset about. Day 19 is super!!!! Today is my 41st AA birthday, gosh how time flies!

We have a government healthcare program here in BC. Each province has it's own health care scheme, they are pretty much the same though. Everybody in this province is covered, even if a person is not contributing, no Canadian is turned away at the ER. Premiums are based on income and family size, for instance a family of two making more than 30K a year would pay $136.00 a month. There is no deductible. The Pharmacare program for prescriptions has a deductible, ours is $1000.00. The median wait for all surgery in Canada is 18.2 weeks. Some are much less such as cardiac which is 2.1 weeks . On the other end of the scale, knee and hip surgery can be 14 to 24 weeks. I personally do not know anybody that has gone to to the USA for surgical procedures. There are some very wealthy Canadian that do not want to wait here for surgery and are willing to pay a huge amount for surgery at a private clinic in the USA. There are some specialized treatments that are only offered below the 49th.

Our car insurance is a government scheme, we are one of two provinces in Canada with it. The others are smart enough to keep the government out of the insurance business. Our insurance corporation in BC is a huge fiasco, it almost borders on a police state, they have way to much power. Premiums are far too high and settlements are almost always settled in the courts. They are into stuff that are far beyond the scope of automobile insurance. Government schemes are not always better.

This is more than 50 pounds of Italian plums that we picked from one tree this morning.

161.jpg

Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon ...

Curt ... That is another great photo.

Karl ... Sounds like a lot of HO to sell.

Corey ... You are doing fantastically well. I bet you will be rewarded many times over during the rest of your life because of what you are now doing.

Mel.... The plums look very good.

Below is my rebuilt bridge. It was not very difficult. I had extra Atlas trusses to glue onto the roadway. I made a simple pier from a block of wood. I was not trying to win a prize with this bridge which meant I could work quickly.

DSCN6329_zpsodnvknki.jpg

Corey, I have that same fueling station!
In fact I just sprayed on a coat of dulcoat on the fuel tank.

Some news to report.
Just talked to my Dad. He's planning on leaving his place tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon and be here Monday.
It's not that terribly long of a drive and he may in fact be here tomorrow night.
Then again Dad is 77+ and has had both knees replaced so he might just take his sweet time.
No problem either way!!
E

Just checking in quickly. I have been trying to keep up with the forum while finishing our remodeling work. Got the last of the base board in. I had under estimated and had to pick up a few more pieces. They were painted and installed and all of the electrical outlets and switches were replaced. We also installed LED ceiling lights instead of the common place ceiling fixtures. They look like can lights but can be installed in any ceiling fixture. Are these suckers ever bright.

IMAG0848.jpg

I also finally got my model railroad work bench back. Now I can finally get working on some of the projects going that I have planned. Spent part of the morning enhancing my vocabulary building a couple of wall cabinets to store supplies in and got them installed also. It's sure nice to have it back.

IMAG0847.jpg

It's not fancy, but it gets the job done. Notice the magnifiers are close at hand on top of the right parts bin. All of this was being done while entertaining and feeding three grand kids. A fourth one was out mowing the yard. Two others were left at home.

Garry - A really nice photo (as usual). Always enjoy your urban photos.

Curt - As good as you are on your coal loading facility and engine facility I don't thing you would have any problem with a town.

Corey. Keep up the great work.

Karl - What are you selling. Anything I could be interested in? Sounds like you'll be at it for a while.

Mel - Quite a harvest. We have a couple of plum trees, but we have yet to get any plums. The growing season is apparently too short up here.

Eric - Glad to hear that your dad is paying you a visit. Hope everything goes well for you.

Gotta get out of here and put the last of the power tools away and probably have a beer.

Catch you later.

Evening fellers. Been trying to clean up my mine disaster today. Going to put down regular ballast and top it off with coal on top coming away from the load out. Figure that's the best approach at the moment. I didn't even realize that I had used the entire shaker bottle on my loadout. Well needless to say I have a full shaker bottle of coal again.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Chet - Very nice work area. Time to get moving with the projects, that workbench just looks too clean! I just put away the power tools from building benchwork and I am going to enjoy that first beer in the pool!

Willie

Thanks Willie. There is on project already on the table. I have a Milwaukee Road box car I got from Greg on the bench. That might be the first project. I have already been informed by the other half that there will not be "crap all over the place and that I will keep it neat". Won't want to push my luck.

The police I know focus on violent criminals for the most part. I would say 99.99% of them really do believe in their motto "to protect and serve" The police are amazing, even if those low life gang bangers call 911 they come to help. Blue lives matter, all lives matter, but the men and women in blue are special people.

I wasn't able to do more than glance at a few posts yesterday (getting ready for a large picnic for some old teacher freinds that I tasught with back many years ago.) But I did want to make a bit of a comment on this.

A quote from an other place I get stuff from had this quote in it:

“I am a retired police officer. After 26 years collectively, as a sworn and non-sworn officer, I have seen firsthand the interaction between police officers and our community. Our uniform shoulder patch reads: "To Serve and Protect with Integrity". During my 17 years, I stood by that creed. However, I am not that ignorant or so jaded to believe that all officers are perfect and don't make mistakes. I also know that there are officers out there that should never be officers.” C. from ..........

I know most of the police in my small city. Most every one of them are great people and take their service seriously and do their job with true caring! Heck, about half of them were students mine way back when. I also know of some incidents of profiling right here and in the area. One good friend of mine is a Pastor of a Black Baptist Church here in the city. He was once stopped in the next town over for driving 5mph over the posted speed limit. The officer got out of his car and pulled his service revolver out and pointed it right at the guys head. Screamed just about every offensive racial term at him along with some "Street" language. The gents hands were carefully on the steering wheel at the top and he replied in soft gentle tones of "Yessir, nosir, head nods, and very carefully. His license and insurance got checked, the officer swore at him some more, and them let him go without issuing a ticket. I have personally driven that street at 8 or 9 mph over the speed limit right past police cars and never been stopped..... Of course I have a much lighter complexion. I could tell of a few similar incidents that I know of. One was an executive of a well known corporation in Corning, NY, (one of my students years ago and a great kid) who had a gun pulled on him just outside of Geneva. He was also well trained on how to respond to the police and stay alive.... His Mom is a close friend of mine and is one of the finest Human beings I know! His sister has a named scholarship in her name at a major University. I will repeat where I stand with these things - I also know officers out there who should never be officers! That is what needs to be solved for all of us!

Have a great night!

Karl - What are you selling. Anything I could be interested in? Sounds like you'll be at it for a while.

HERE is the link showing what is up so far, there will be 12 more items by tomorrow evening, with probably another 50-60 lots by the end of next month. Mostly Lionel Ho, Bachmann and Tyco stuff, but an occasional Athearn or Walthers piece.

And I haven't started on the structure kits yet, many of the still sealed.

View attachment 58405

Been kinda quiet around here today, like waiting on a train!

I've been busy reloading everything into my computer, after hitting a half dozen keys I couldn't really see, and doing a government wipe on my hard drive.

Most of y'all probably remember the trials and tribulations of some of the electronics in my newer locomotives suffering an inordinately high infant mortality rate. After selling off most of my BLI stuff, which was the largest group to uniformly lay down on me, I dumped my Digitrax system and got an NCE Pro Cab system. After that, roughly 4 months ago, I have had exactly one decoder fail, and that was plainly a defect in manufacturing. MTH forgot to install a part on the decoder, which of course promptly went *poof* when I put it on the track and applied power. While it's too early to tell for sure, it looks like my problems were caused by something in or about the Digitrax system. Everything checked good, but it's kind of hard to argue with the lack of problems.

I've been busy reloading everything into my computer, after hitting a half dozen keys I couldn't really see, and doing a government wipe on my hard drive.

Most of y'all probably remember the trials and tribulations of some of the electronics in my newer locomotives suffering an inordinately high infant mortality rate. After selling off most of my BLI stuff, which was the largest group to uniformly lay down on me, I dumped my Digitrax system and got an NCE Pro Cab system. After that, roughly 4 months ago, I have had exactly one decoder fail, and that was plainly a defect in manufacturing. MTH forgot to install a part on the decoder, which of course promptly went *poof* when I put it on the track and applied power. While it's too early to tell for sure, it looks like my problems were caused by something in or about the Digitrax system. Everything checked good, but it's kind of hard to argue with the lack of problems.

Terry,
I've been saying it for years, NCE über alles!:cool: Glad to see another convert. (I had Brand D for 2 weeks in 1999, been NCE ever since)

Good Morning Gang. It's 72° with clear but still dark skies here in North Central Texas this morning. Yesterday I started back on my dead tree removal process that was suspended during the summer. I removed 10 of 19 last winter and spring, only 9 more to go. Out in the train shed, I did do a bit more benchwork expansion. Too soon for pictures.
Mel - Oooh! Those plums look good.
Karl -
...before the big guy with the baseball bat wakes up...
I'm surprised that it made it as far as it did!
Corey - Keep it up.
Garry - That was a quick improvement. Looks good.
Eric - Keep us posted with your progress and Dad's visit.
Chet -
I have already been informed by the other half that there will not be "crap all over the place and that I will keep it neat". Won't want to push my luck.
Reason # 1 why my workbench is out in the train shed. She chooses not to visit out there.

Still haven't heard from David in a few days. His last post was about over-working himself moving gravel. I hope that all is well.
And Louis... baseball practice must have been heavy yesterday as we haven't heard from him yet this morning.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Back