Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Afternoon All,

Cleaned house today then planted 9 plastic people on the layout (2 fisherman and 7 train watchers). Tomorrow I'm going up to Jon's to complete the trade (TT bridge) and Phil should be there.

Louis- I like pretty much any Pennsy ornament. Great John Wayne picture. I did not realize you were going into business. Congrats! What will you be doing?

Ken- I didn't think anything about the hotel. MOH looks at reviews when we are traveling and we usually stay at a less inexpensive hotel. Our thought process is why waste money when you are just going to sleep in the room. Of course cleanliness is a must.

Dave LASM- Congrats on the job. What will you be doing?

Chet- Nice picture.

20160824_133155_zpsr2rkcntn.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Dave LASM- Congrats on the job. What will you be doing?

Thanks, Curt; I will be Assistant General Manager at a retirement community. There are 115 apartments, dining room, and recreation areas, also vendors that provide some services under the same roof like a home health company and beauty salon. All in one huge building on a very beautiful grounds. It is called Holiday Retirement. There are several in Washington and Oregon, also scattered around the country.

I will be in charge of 35 employees, hiring, the grounds, and share some sales and other jobs as well. Nice thing is it is 4 days per week, 3 day weekends!!

...Louis- I like pretty much any Pennsy ornament. Great John Wayne picture. I did not realize you were going into business. Congrats! What will you be doing?
20160824_133155_zpsr2rkcntn.jpg

Curt the PRR is special to me and my family. My Mother's father, my grandfather worked for the PRR during the second world war. I did not get to know him very well, but I heard lots about him. I also got to see them run the rails near my home. Most of the PRR equipment had been patched or painted over to Penn Central, but I can still remember the tuscan GG1s running the northeast corridor. They were like nothing I had ever seen!

Congratulations or condolences, I'm not sure which. Either way thank you Curt :)

I was self-employed for many years, but I am retired due to health problems. My Son and his Wife want to start a business and they want my broken down old butt to help. I'll be doing management and sales from home mostly. The company will focus on home services, but I probably will expand into commercial services.

We will do anything from Cleaning to coordinating home improvements, maintenance, anything a home owner would need to have done. I will be using subcontractors for the heavy work and for other work when we get too busy, which should not take long. I am already rounding up subcontractors.

My daughter-in-law is a real go getter and willing to do what ever it takes. She has done home services for another company before her and my son got married and I said "Why not start your own business? That way you the lions share" She said "will you help me?" My son works full time for Northrup Grumman so he won't have much time. Dad would you please... So here I am.

There is a tremendous market of young and affluent new home owners, condominium and luxury apartment dwellers in my area. These young people have more money then they know what to do with and they are willing to pay for work you and I would never pay to have done. I am more than willing to take their money :) and provide a good, reliable high quality service.

My oldest daughter lives in one of those affluent neighborhoods and she said her neighbors are not willing to do most anything except for spend money. I'll be glad to help them with that.

I refer to my daughter-in-law as the "Energizer Bunny", she keeps going and going. I will be happy to work with her, but I told her "learn fast because I can't guarantee how long I will hold up" In six months I should have everything setup so she can take over most everything. "Nothing to it, but to do it"! For some reason I always hold up long enough to help my kids, thank God.

Very nice shot Curt. The details sure make a lot of difference.

Time to go out and move the rain birds to try to keep the grass green.

Here's one of my yards with the caboose track, service track and engine servicing facilities. The meat packing plant is off to the right of the icing platform.

IMAG0844.jpg

Catch you later.

ERIC TERRY And the rest of us feeling pain, Hope you all have a restful night.

Prayers for all of us. And our TROOPS . Goodnight.

Phil

Good Morning All. 73° and clear skies here this morning. What happened to all of the night-owls? Didn't feel like doing much construction on my breaks from outdoor stuff yesterday, so all I did was run trains, lots of them. Today is grocery/beer trek day, so that takes a bit of time, especially since I will visit Home Depot and Hobby Lobby while I am out.
Dave - Best of luck with the new job, the move, and the new layout. Sounds like something that you really wanted to happen.
Louis - Best wishes on your new gig as well.

Slow day in the Coffee Shop yesterday, although other parts of the forum were jumping. Several layout builds are coming along nicely, I especially like Lloyd's progress on the "MHO Junction".
Too early to walk, too dark. So I will head for the train shed for about 45 minutes.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good Morning All. 73° and clear skies here this morning. What happened to all of the night-owls? Didn't feel like doing much construction on my breaks from outdoor stuff yesterday, so all I did was run trains, lots of them. Today is grocery/beer trek day, so that takes a bit of time, especially since I will visit Home Depot and Hobby Lobby while I am out.
...Louis - Best wishes on your new gig as well.

Slow day in the Coffee Shop yesterday, although other parts of the forum were jumping. Several layout builds are coming along nicely, I especially like Lloyd's progress on the "MHO Junction".
Too early to walk, too dark. So I will head for the train shed for about 45 minutes.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Thank you Willie!

Sounds like you have a fun day ahead, can I tag along? Oh darn just too far, have a safe trip.

It sounds like you had a good day yesterday as well, not much better then the sounds of our trains running.

Good morning. 68° and sunny. Yesterday was the perfect warm, dry late summer day. I cut and trimmed the lawn and other activities, including ordering more ME flex track. Today the family arrives for a visit. Oldest son & family will be leaving Lexington, VA around 0815, meanwhile, youngest son is crawling through Stafford VA enroute up I-95 during the DC morning commute.

Curt: Great closeup photo.
L&S Dave: Good luck. Sounds like a good opportunity.
Louis: Good luck on your enterprise. O's almost blew it in the 9th, hon. Scary. And tonight, it's Ubaldo vs Scherzer...
Chet: As always, nice scene.
Willie: The pace had to slow down a bit.

Hope Eric and Terry are doing OK.

Hot Dog wise, my preference is "Sabrett" from Da Bronx. They are longer, thinner all beef and commonly sold by push cart vendors and lunch trucks. Sabrett also makes a dynamite tomato onion sauce.

Sherrel: The Hot Dog place you mentioned is in Clifton. I never spent much time in that area. Here at the shore, we have the Windmill, which is known for their dogs, burgers and fries.

Good morning folks.

Cool with a high of 73 today. Funny, I've been planning to go out on my brother's boat to water ski all summer but it has rained every day we planned. Now that it is not going to rain it may feel a little cool jumping in the lake. Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing if I can still ski!

Yesterday was day 15 of no drinking! It's been hard sometimes only because my biggest trigger is my wife. We've been trying to patch things up but have had a difficult time since we've been arguing about drinking for so long. We realize that we have other things to work on as well and I think we are starting to go down the road of fixing that part of our lives as too. Truly one day at a time for all things.

No trains yesterday but I did watch a few old videos on youtube about steam locomotives. What a relaxing way to spend some time.

Other than that, I don't know much. Have a good day everyone!

Good morning Everybody!

it's 71 with 75% humidity under partly clear skies in southeast Baltimore. They say it will return to the 90s again for the rest of the week, the humidity is already up.

Today is my youngest daughters birthday, she is 28. We are having a homemade crab cake dinner as she requested. She had threatened to boycott dinner after her melt down earlier in the week. I am thinking this new boyfriend is a bad influence. My little princess has anger management issues. All I can do is prey.

What set her off is mind boggling. She bought a house and moved in on the 1st of August. She left 3 small to mid-size boxes and 2 small bags in our living room. After a week I asked her to take them, she said she would. Two more weeks go by and they are still here. When she comes to pick up my grandson on Tuesday after work I had them on the porch to make it easier and faster to load into the car. She blew a gasket! I don't get it, but it worries me, must be something else bothering her.

I can ignore anything, I don't worry about nothing other that my family, wife, children and grandchildren. At least my grandson requested to stay with me last night. he can't go 2 days without wanting to see Poppy. Yesterday I took him to target to pick out a gift for him to get for his mother. We found some star wars toys on sale and I bought them for him as well, we had fun!

We picked up a birthday balloon for his Mom, but the wind took it from us. We went back in the store and believe it or not they gave me another one for free! I had already rang up the 2nd one at the self checkout but the thing never works for me (operator problem) the girl said "you just bought one" I told her what happened and she voided the sale and told me I could have it for free, how about that?!

We get outside and Ayden said "the other balloon flew to heaven" I said "it sure is gone" and he replied "it's ok Poppy Bessy has it now" Bessy was my beloved English Cocker Spaniel who passed away 10/11/12 the little guy remembers everything. I had tears in my eyes. :) Thank God for my boys!

Bessy & her ball.jpg
That is my Bessy when she was young, she passed away when she was only 7 from a common heart defect English Cocker Spaniels suffer from. Most that have it never see 1 year, but God had a purpose for Bessy, she was my nurse and constant companion. I really believe the little girl refused to let me go when they sent me home to die. The mysteries of faith, thank God.

Have a great day Everybody!

Boris, you got to believe hon!

Good to see Corey, 2 weeks and working on three, before you know it you will count in months and years, but keep grinding it out minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day! You can do it!!!

I love them old videos on YouTube I bought a new TV just because I could push one button to watch YouTube! I love it, a smart TV that is easy to use!!!

Louis, I would say it's the boyfriend that's at the cause of your daughter's short fuse. Keep an eye out for strange bruises etc.

Thank you Louis! Some days, like yesterday are certainly a grind. I prayed pretty dang hard to "do the next right thing". So far prayer, AA meetings, and my family's support have carried me through every time I've considered giving in. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning. A chilly start to the day at 37 degrees with high expected in the high 60's. I heard that the Beartooth Pass, which is US 212 from Cook City, MT to Red Lodge, MT was closed yesterday due to snow. I can believe it. Here a a few old photos from that highway. Guess they're around 15 years old.

beartooth pics 017.jpg beartooth pics 016.jpg

beartooth pics 021.jpg beartooth pics 020.jpg

This trip was in July and there was still snow on the ground. Temps are expected to be backup into the 80's by the weekend. Sure did enjoy the cool snap.

Louis - Liked the John Wayne poster from yesterday. How true. Hope the new venture works out for you.

Willie - I will have to agree with you on how quite it was on the forum yesterday. Must have had a lot of busy people.

Had to come into the office today because the owner is out of the office today. Guess one day of working at home is better than none.

Catch you later.

Morning All. Have been up for a couple hours, but just sitting here with my coffee - reading all the posts and daydreaming. Good to see that everyone has been busy for the last couple days.

LOUIS Toot might be on to something with your daughter. Anyway, concerning the boxes and bags, my daughter here took two large ceiling fan type boxes out of her car when she needed to take the G Kids in her car. That was almost two weeks ago and they are still sitting right inside our front door. I have asked her twice when does she plan to take them - she has told me several times that she will - then leaves without them. I finally moved them over to one side where they were not right beside the front door. I haven't said anymore, but after the G-Kids leave this Sunday .. I will help her put them back in her car. Maybe I will ask her today if she wants me to take them to her house? Good luck with the venture with your DIL. She sounds like she has her "poop in a scoop".

COREY - Hang in there, beat this demon! It's approaching three years now on my "kick the nicotine" habit. The way I won was pretty simple as I think back. After my doctor of eight years told me that he thought it was time that I quit, (I had a hacking cough and kept being sick) I walked out of his office - threw the pack in the garbage can - and told myself that if I smoke another cigarette I will die. Watching the G Kids these past two weeks is the biggest temptation I have had: MAN, I would like a smoke! Nope, it will ill me!
It's still working .. within 2-3 minutes I had forgot all about it. I won't even start on the G Kids - They have had too many toys and are always wanting more ... NOPE there too! I tell you .. They are animals in disguise. I need to send them to Louis for a stint.

JOE - I get a kick out of your accent on the locals there. Never forget the first time I was in NY and asked for a cup of coffee in a counter diner downtown. Guy says, "Regular?" - I say yes. (I thought I was getting black coffee) My GOD I still have no idea what he brought me - some type of "milky colored syrup".
I had a lot to learn about NY for sure.

Great photos everyone. As PHIL says - Keep em coming!

King Toot and Sherrel I am always on the lookout for any sign of trouble with all of my kids and grandkids, thank you for your concern, I appreciate it.

When it comes to my little princess the boyfriend should be worried. He is a little runt and my girl can be as mean as a junk yard dog. When I met him I was sure to stand up straight and get in real close when we shook hands. I wanted him to see how far he had to tilt his head backwards to look up at my face.

Afternoon All,

Back from seeing Jon and Phil. We all had a good time. Jon tried several things and could not get the bridge to rotate either. He has the issue figured to 3 possible causes. He will let me know what it ends up being.

Dave LASM- That sounds like a great job. Congrats.

Chet-Very nice modeling and beautiful countryside.

Terry- I did not know you were sick. I hope you get well soon.

Corey- I wish you the best with you and your wife.

Louis- Great story about your grandson. I hope everything works out with your daughter.

A MOW tank car next to the roundhouse.

20160824_134444_zpsqqjvqdvq.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Yesterday, AUG 24 is a special date to me. 1954 I left Miami for FT. Jackson for processing and tests. 1992 ANDREW visited and raised the roof. Special memories.
Today has new memories. JON and CURT going round and round on why the TT bridge doesn't work. I have the answer. They didn't keep it simple. It's DCC.

COREY- Keep the faith. The harder it is, the better the reward.
TERRY- Hope you and wife doing better.

CHET- RACOONS hit the nail on the head.

LOUIS- BOLO for bruises.

Phil

Back