Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Just a quick final check-in this morning before I hopefully can actually fall asleep soon.
TWC says it is 69°. First time below 70 I know of in a couple of months.
Sure was nice to get a piece of rolling stock working. Actually, just to do a little something on the trains and make some progressive makes me feel dam good. I'm still up for putting some more lights in the maintenance spur area.
Of course my recent TV bill has me a little miffed. It went from $50 to $111.
Of course you can't call them over the weekend.
So later this morning, they will either be adjusting that bill or they are will lose a customer.
They are likely to lose this customer anyhow. The channel selection sucks for the most part.

Then at some point when my lack of sleep fog clears somewhat I need to call Emory Medical and find out why I wasn't called Friday with appointment dates and time for the scans that need to be done so they/we can figure out the next course of action. I really am not terribly worried they didn't call Friday since my first visit with them was only the day before. BUT, they said they would notify me on Friday and didn't. If they would have said Monday or Tuesday, fine, no problem. I have this weird thing about believing what people tell - especially when it comes to stuff like I'm going through.

To be honest I kind of would like those appointment dates so Dad can plan on heading this way. We talked the other afternoon after my first visit and I had told him my step-dad (Doyle) was wanting his phone number to find out what his plans were with me and about all this stuff. We both found that somewhat strange but .... well.... whatever. Dad said he's probably just worried and trying to help and all that - which is true. Anyway, after some talking Dad had already decided he was coming down here when they do some surgery. He also let it be known that if I just wanted him here anyway that all I had to do was ask.
Truth be told he was waiting for me to ask him to be here and to be honest I want him to come to be with me. We've always been close. He knows I'm not one for asking - same as him.
He told me he was planning on being here when the do any surgery(s) regardless whether I asked or not. He said "son you I'll be right there if you want even if it's nothing more than to hang out and visit". I could probably call him right now and he'd be here this evening if needed.
In the end, we decided to see what Emory Medical has for scheduling and he's going to come down here for that. Not much he can do really except give me rides (which would save about $130 just for taxi). We joked about what else to be here for. No reason to take me grocery shopping since I can't eat "real" food. Even so, he dam sure can't cook for me. I'll be happy to cook him up some serious food - think I'll make a steak diane with all the trimmings.
Actually, I look forward to it !!
I'm the only child between Mom and Dad and they split when I was 3 (circa 1963). Only a time or 2 have me and Dad had just "me and him time". When I went back home in Illinois to bury Mom in 2013 I managed to get away over to Dad's for a few days. Given the circumstances of my reason for being there it wasn't all that conducive to a festive time.

Funny thing is we joke what can he really do except to hang around and be company. Well, except for giving me rides. But we both know it goes way deeper than. I do look forward for him to come visit. I'll just have to be sure to have clean sheets on the bed for him. I'll relegate myself to couch. Maybe he'll decide the couch is junk (which it is) and decide to get some big ass Lazy Boy chair and throw this couch out. Suits me fine!!

Anyway, it's all going to be good!!!
Just to spend some alone time with Dad will be fine with me.

Thanks for letting bend you all's ears.
E.

Good morning everyone. 75f , clear skies , few clouds. Little humid but not bad- YET. 94f expected later with possible showers. Looking forward to meet up with KEN .

Well doggone. I have the same B&O caboose, 2310. Needs windows and one knuckle coupler as other end has an x2f.
Need more coffee. Later-ttfn

Phil

ERIC-You can bend our ears anytime. Rant-Rave Yell or scream. If it helps, do it. We all have our own trials only some are bigger than others.

Phil

Good Morning All. 68° and partly cloudy to overcast here this morning, chance of thunderstorms around 11:00. No rain yesterday, but 4" over the preceding three days. A little local train action yesterday on the UP line about 30 miles south of here. 26 coal cars derailed and 5 went into a creek. Fortunately there were no injuries.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Train-Derailment-Spills-Cars-Coal-Into-Denton-Creek-390866921.html

In the train shed, I did some more imagineering and ran trains.
Corey - I like the scene/picture. I do like "hidden gems" in layouts like that.
Eric - Nice work on the caboose. Trains are a good therapy right now, and you haven't lost it. Bend away...that's what we do in the Coffee Shop.
Ken - Bummer about the A/C. Good to know that you are safe however. Best of luck on finding a mechanic in a new town.

All this posting about giving/not giving up cigarettes, i quit in 1970 when the price went from 30¢ to 33¢ per pack because I decided that I couldn't afford them anymore. Talk about the old days!
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning folks.

Back to mid 80's for a few days and then 70's moving forward for awhile.

Eric, I'm glad you will get to spend some time with your Dad. It sounds like that may be a silver lining in this thing you're dealing with. Pulling for you man.

Speaking of support, you guys are awesome! I really appreciate the words of encouragement. Day 13 starts today. By the end of tomorrow it will be the longest for me since 1998! Can't look to tomorrow though, have to get through today!! Thanks again!

No trains yesterday for me. I spent the evening reading a book on the couch. Not a bad way to spend some time. Maybe tonight after work I'll head down and glue something!

Have a good day everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning, 55 and sunny. It was downright chilly last night. Supposed to hit mid 80's again tomorrow, though.

We drove to Duluth Saturday afternoon for the Tall Ships festival. We boarded the El Galeon, a 16 century trader that plied the waters for literally centuries (or one like it). Very interesting stuff.

I ran trains yesterday afternoon, found another locomotive did not want to stay on the tracks in one spot (it was a Trainline GP-9) The thing only cost $49 and I guess you get what you pay for. I think I will just use it around the yard, as all the other locos negotiate that curve just fine.

It seems the lighter, cheaper locomotives do not do as well on the curves where there are inclines.

Good Morning. We're starting the day off at 52 degrees and a lot of smoke in the air from various forest fires across the northwest.

Didn't get the two room completed over the weekend as my wife decided she wanted crown moldings in the two rooms. Got all of the trim installed and finally got my computer set up, but for some reason, no internet. My grandson helped and we think he may have damaged the plug coming into the room for the internet. Guess I'll have to call my ISP and schedule a service call. All that is left now is to change out a few electrical outlets and install new LED ceiling lights and to install a few door knobs.

IMAG0846.jpg Even with all of the work going on, I did make it a point to visit the train room and run trains for a while. Needed the break.

Eric - I have no problem with your so called rants. You need to vent and I'm sure everyone here is concerned for you. Good to see you spending some time with your trains. Like the caboose. With a little work it should be ready to go. Spending some time with the hobby can take your mind off of things.

Garry - As usual, another nice photo. A nice urban scene.

Joe - More excellent photos.

Corey - Like the cow eating the laundry. May soon become steaks. Congrats on another day. Each day is another victory.

Ray - Interesting video. Thanks for the post.

Louis - You sure posted a lot of interesting photos over the weekend. Thanks.

Curt - Cool looking FM switcher.

Mel - Excellent work on the station. Well done.

I'll have to go over the posts I missed over the weekend. I'm sure that I missed somebody.

CDL - I have had one for years. Working in operations for a long haul trucking company, I don't drive any more but do have to take now drivers out for road teats. Not only do I have to take a physical for the CDL, but I also have to take one for my pilots license. I'm lucky that my doctor can take care of both at one time. Now doctors have to be "certified" for the annual physical for the CDL. I'm good for a few more years on the CDL but may not renew it the next time renewal comes up.

Good morning !

Thanks everybody for commenting on my latest photo.

Curt ... I like the FM switcher.
Corey ... I definitely like your Mankato station and a big congratulations for number 12. ... I know some people who have done what you are doing. They began as you have, one day at a time. The days have become years. I believe you will do the same.
Dave LASM ... I bet the tax ships festival in Duluth was very impressive. .... Have you been to the RR museum in Duluth? I would like seeing it some day.
Chet .... The Honey do's keep you very busy apparently.
Eric ... Good job with the coulee installation. ... Prayers continue for your cancer.
Willie .... Rain, rain go away. .... Interesting about the derailment. CSX had a derailment just south of Cincinnati in KY while we were in Cincy last week. ... Stuff happens.

Keep on Railroading !

Well, now I'm waiting to hear back from Emory about appointments.

I "think" I got the stuff squared away with the DirectTV/At&t thing. I don't know. It's kind of difficult to understand 3rd world people sometimes. Certainly when they are talking about "crEEdits" and "dEEbits" (as annunciated). You all get the drift I'm sure.

Chet, Dad gave up his pilot license after so many years. He just got tired of being tested every year for his eye sight. I'm sure he didn't like that at all. I drop-shipped one of my r/c helicopters thinking he might like it. It took me a while to learn how to fly it. He actually some really rotary hours so I thought he might "get it" better than I did. Not at all. Then I got this drone that you all know about. It took some time but I'm mighty flying this thing. That'll be some fun we can have when comes down here.
.... and speak of the devil....
Guess who just called wondering what/when the appointments are so he start making plans.
Nothing to report except that I'm waiting on them to call me with appointment schedule(s).
Hopefully, they'll call back today. No doubt I'll be napped out which I'm about to do.
E.

WOW .. This place is getting busy! We may have to call on Jeffrey to add an addition to the side of the building.
Supposed to ONLY reach 90 today - a welcome relief from the 98 area over the past several days - which was a relief from the 105 area before that. Guess that they are starting to get some of the wildfires under control. (can't be much left to burn). I know that we could use most all that water that the Louisiana folks are dealing with.

Chet: Your project looks real good - glad to hear that it's getting flanged up.

corey: keep it up! Your doing great ... won't be long before you will have trouble remembering how many days have passed.

ERIC: Always in my thoughts and prayers.

Ken: Hope you get the a/c fixed and get the daughter settled. Many, many years ago I was very close to trying that school. My parents were not able to afford it back then. I managed to work enough to get my commercial license and then my parents borrowed the money for me to attend American Flyers instrument school in Ft Worth. Three days after completing the course I landed my first paying job as a ferry pilot for Piper Corporation working out of Lock Haven, PA, and Vero Beach, Fl -- ahhh, the good old days.

SHERREL- 20 years from NOW will be "THE GOOD OLD DAYS".

Getting ready to leave home to meet CURT so we'll go together to meet KEN.

Phil

Wow! I'm almost speechless. Someone from Emory Medical called about my "case". She left a message just introducing herself and left a number and asked that I call back.
So I called back wondering what this was going to be about. I don't know quite what her title is but she about my situation somewhat and the Dr. I'm working with and stuff. Best I can figure she's kind of a social worker I guess. She asked about financial needs, emotional/psychological support, transportation needs and that kind of stuff.
I told her I had already filled out all the paper work for aid and stuff and that my Dad was going to come down to take me to the appointments for the scanning and surgery stuff and that my visit the other day cost me $135 for taxi since I apparently have no friends to depend on for that.
She really caught me off guard.
Who would have ever expected that kind of proactive service from a hospital.
Then again Emory isn't exactly your every day hospital either.
I have often referred to it as the "Mayo Clinic of the South" long before my current ordeal. Turns out they are proving me absolutely right.
She asked if there was anything she could do to help provide with me with help to quit smoking and drinking.
Also wanted to know did I have anyone around to "lean" on. I told her it was just me and these 2 cats and they are my little buddies. We chuckled about that but she understood that I was saying I have no family around here.
All I could think to ask was to follow up about the appointments and let me know because Dad is wanting to make plans to come on down.

I am most pleasantly surprise.
E

Appointment set.
Sept. 1 Thursday. 0700 for a PET, CT and MRI back to back.
They said plan on being there for at least several hours and no eating or drinking for 6 hours prior.

Ok.... I'm starting to freak a little now!
Dad is already making plans to be here.
E.

ERIC- I'm so happy that something positive in happening. This is the kind of help a person needs. It is good to hear things are starting to happen.

Your caboose looks really good, nice to have a diversion like model railroading to kind of tinker around with, a person does a lot of positive thinking when doing these things.

CHET- your reno looks nice, good workmanship. Funny, just when you think you are all done, Murphy steps in and screws thing up. Hope you didn't cut off a wire inside a wall.

COREY- You are doing fantastic! One day at a time. Sometimes I have to break it down to one minute at a time, even now after 41 years.

Spent yesterday with family and built two more bents for my trestle, two seems to be my limit and I have to put it away for a while. Today MOH wants to put down pears that we grew this year, I'm sure she is going to need some help. Next is a bunch of plums that are still on the tree, a bumper crop this year, good thing we like plums and plum jam.

I took this photo several years ago, it is a CN spur track running under highway 11.

DSCN5193_edited.jpg

Have great day everybody.
Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
LOUIS, LOUIS, LOUIS??
What's the answer to this Trivia Question??

Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest is held each year on which holiday?
New Year’s Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Columbus Day

Good afternoon. Going to post a couple of photos of an ongoing project. This salvage yard has to have the rest of the fencing installed and weathered as well as a couple of gates. A platform will go in in front of the baggage door of this old MDC car which is the office/shop and then weeds and other details will be put in.

IMAG0836.jpg IMAG0837.jpg

Gotta head home to meet the service tech from my ISP and hopefully get my internet up and running.

Later.

Back