Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

It warmed up a bit this afternoon getting to a toasty 33 degrees. Guess it's time to head home but before I head out, here's a photo for Toot.

We do a lot of four wheeling in Montana, but eight wheelin' ain't so hot.

BLOG-MRL-17-2 Billings.jpg

Later

It warmed up a bit this afternoon getting to a toasty 33 degrees. Guess it's time to head home but before I head out, here's a photo for Toot.

View attachment 59662

Later

Must've been during a slack time in the yard and they told the engineer he'd have to do some weeding if he wanted to keep his job.

B]Good evening Rail Setters & Spike Drivers,[/B]

Five days late and $5.00 short.
Hi Flo & Francine, my two favorite waitresses here at Jeffreys' Dinner.
Have either of you seen the running bear's go by? Some coffee and a Apple Fritter if you would.

The Weather here is down right cold with a lot of moisture in the air, last night dropped down to about 32* and think it will do the same tonight. I'll check WW. Lets see what they say?

Mostly Cloudy 47.3 °F - Feels Like 47 °F
Wind Variable Wind from SSE 0.0 [?]
Precip. -- in
Pressure 30.14 in
Visibility 6.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Windchill 47 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 98%
Rainfall 0.00 in 12-10/11 -- 1.12"
Snow Depth Not available.

I didn't get quite as much as I planed on doing done but did get the wood pile covered with some fairly heavy black plastic to keep it dry and I cut it long enough to cover a full cord of wood fairly well. Just in time too a my buddy Joe from about 25 miles away is going to bring over a load of wood tomorrow afternoon. He did and gave me quite a workout stacking it and he even helped too.

I wanted to get the starter put back on my tractor but a young fellow who is 14 and very interested in trains stopped by so I wound up talking with him and let him borrow a couple of RMC magazines as well as giving him other information that will hopefully be helpful to him.

You may appreciate this short story ...

Garry:[B/] Love the joke! LMAO and everyone I've told it too!

Afternoon All,

I have been thinking about adding a passenger station back onto my layout. The siding I want to put it on is currently a passing siding in front of my yard. It can hold 4-65' passenger cars and motive power without obstructing the main. In this photo the tracks going under the station would change to the T/O would go away and the thru track would become a short stub that stops in the area of the yard office. I have a series of 4 photos and I'm not sure if the station is too large for the area. What are your thoughts?

20161207_112309_zpscpwxusku.jpg

In this photo the track under the platform goes away. The track to the left of that is partially removed and bends to the left to join the track with the red cardboard "switch"

20161207_112343_zps8usxjzjk.jpg

Here is a dry run.

20161207_113657_zpsxqyxmhh9.jpg

Curt - rather than sacrificing any of your existing track, have you thought about the possibility of bolting-on 6"x18" extension over the fascia and putting the station building & parking lot on that? I probably need to draw a diagram to describe my idea, but I don't have time to do that right now since I'm at work...

Ken: That's a good suggestion and one I've used also to gain needed space.

Good morning everyone. Not as cold here in South Carolina but I manage a food warehouse and just got done in a -1 degree freezer so its cold! It's supposed to only get in the 40's here this weekend. Sounds like a good time for coffee, Netflix and our dogs. The basement isn't heated yet so its a good thing I'm still in my track planning stages!

Sauced: Sherrel's suggestion is fairly good option.

Just a quick suggestion on the heat. Consider electric baseboard.

Sherrel: Baseboard heating does work very well but if used much it sure does run up the electric bill, and mine are the 220 type which are supposed to be a lot more cost effective.

Good Morning Everyone. It's 32 and mostly cloudy here. Frost everywhere. Minor cold front tomorrow then back to the 60's by Sunday. Coffee Shop is busy this morning , good to see everyone.
Let's all take a minute to remember that today is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Give thanks to all of those brave servicemen who gave their lives, and those that came home for the country as we know it today.
In the train shed, I continued cleaning and organizing. Got the benchwork lumber cut and I'll start assembling today.

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Willie: Thank you for your Patriotism in remembering all those brave soles who went through that day! Sorry for being so late in posting this. Glad to hear you got the needed lumber and supplies you need for your layout.

Good evening. This is my fourth attempt to post this reply, SWMBO got home early and the diversions were many...

Bruce - sounds like Seasonal Affective Disorder, caused by not getting enough sunlight. I suffer from it myself. It's one of the reasons I often don't get much of anything done on my layout during the prime mrr season, I simply don't have the energy...

Thanks for the tip Curt, I'll look into that... Could be a game-changer! BTW Your loco terminal photo looks quite "real", that's what I hope to achieve on mine one of these years.

Ken -Bruce: It possibly could be a lack of Vitamin D which various supplements have in them.

Continued:

Garry

St. Peter ....... "God, there are 20 souls from Detroit who just arrived at the Pearly Gates. We have never had any come from there before. Should I let them in?"
God ..... "Yes, St. Peter .... Go back to the Pearly Gates, and let them in."
St. Peter ..... "Yes, Sir. I shall do so."
..... Later ...... St Peter runs back to God ..
St. Peter ..... "God ! They are gone !"
God ........ "The souls from Detroit ?"
St. Peter ....... "No Sir. The Pearly Gates are gone!"

Garry: LMAO Too funny!!

> > >

Good morning. 28*F and sunny with a westerly breeze in central MD.
Thanks Curt and Willie!

I did a test install in the same F-unit #4546 that I've been working on since I started this project. Snapped a lot of cell phone pix, was up past midnight getting them cropped and uploaded to my website - here are two of them. The first one shows what it looks like with the clear styrene "glass" cover and the light turned off. It actually is countersunk, it just looks like it isn't in all the way. The second photo shows a closeup with the headlight turned on.

F7_4546_headlight_off.jpg

F7_4546_almost_here.jpg

I've decided to start a separate thread to avoid hijacking the Coffee Shop with this topic!

Ken: The head light lenses look great as well as the mounting discs. I was going to suggest trying a hole punch but was a little too late as you already thought of that.

....another one that I picked up,
still waiting for its delivery....

View attachment 59631

E29A at Piedmont, MT, in June '69!
Photo by Jim Ozment

Thought that I'd post this one that I bought....photo is by Mike Cleary and it's Milwaukee Road's enginehouse at Green Bay, WI, in May '79!

View attachment 59627

Mel: Interesting shot of the well used engine house.

I'm back. Still in one piece. Golly, ERIC! we are just going to have to put you in a straight jacket for you own safety! I know a little of what you are going through. My daughter, Stacy, who passed away back in September, had a feeding tube inserted into her stomach for a little longer than one year right after she was born. Wife and I had to change it on a weekly basis - it had a small balloon that held it in place which had to be inflated/deflated each time it was changed. I always dreaded even helping to change it. Not only was I scared of screwing it up, but the smell of the digestive fluids was not very nice.

Garry. Sorry, I thought it was funny, but in all honestly, I had heard it quite a while ago. Don't give up on us .. It's a busy time of year. BTW .. Congrats on your recent procedure .. Think I failed to mention that as we'll.

Here's one that made me Spit my coffee!

This guy brings his best golf buddy home, unannounced, for dinner at 6:30, after enjoying a day of golf. His wife screams her head off while his friend sits open mouthed and listens to the tirade.

"My hair and makeup are not done, the house is a f****** mess, and the dishes aren't done. I’m completely exhausted! I didn’t get enough sleep last night. Can't you see I'm still in my f****** pajamas?? I can't be bothered with cooking tonight! Why the f*** did you bring him home without letting me know ahead of time, you stupid idiot?"

“Because he’s thinking of getting married."

Sherrel: So much for making a favorable impression on his buddy! LoL

Good Morning ...... Coffee, please.

Curt and Ken (MD) ..... I do not like Curt's proposal of placing a station between tracks like that because, there is no place for people to drive up to the station in cars of places for Railway Express trucks etc. ..... I defiantly like Ken's idea of an extension on the side of the layout to accommodate passenger trains. .... I assume passenger trains are running on the main line and stop long enough for people to get on and off the train. I also assume the trains will not be parked at the station for more time than is needed for that.

New Guy .... You said 12 years ago you lost your Dad. .. I know losing our parents is hard. We never get over it.

A neighbor and friend here had multiple bi-pass heart surgery yesterday. As of this morning, he is doing as well as can be expected.

The lack of response to my Detroit joke suggests people did not read it, did not get it, or did not like it. Sorry.

I was at my model train friend's house yesterday and we worked on his layout and also on two of my locomotives.

Have a nice Thursday, everybody.

Garry: About your St. Petter story/joke, funny as hell to me!! LoL
Continued:

Bruce: As Garry above said to you, loosing our parents is a tragic situation. I lost my dad January 9th, 1989 and I still think about him often as well as my Mom whom I lost in August 10th, 2011

Continued:

Afternoon All,
Did several chores around the house this morning and later was up in the train room staring...staring...staring. I think I found another possible location for the station. The downside for me is that it is on the main. I'll take a picture of the location later in the week.

The left side of the station has been cut off (freight house side)

20161210_121402_zpsjds3e954.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt:

You may appreciate this short story ...

Garry:[B/] Love the joke! LMAO and everyone I've told it too!

Afternoon All,

I have been thinking about adding a passenger station back onto my layout. The siding I want to put it on is currently a passing siding in front of my yard. It can hold 4-65' passenger cars and motive power without obstructing the main. In this photo the tracks going under the station would change to the T/O would go away and the thru track would become a short stub that stops in the area of the yard office. I have a series of 4 photos and I'm not sure if the station is too large for the area. What are your thoughts?

20161207_112309_zpscpwxusku.jpg

Curt: I think Garry makes some good points with what he says about needing more space around the station.

In this photo the track under the platform goes away. The track to the left of that is partially removed and bends to the left to join the track with the red cardboard "switch"

20161207_112343_zps8usxjzjk.jpg

Curt: That's a possibility but are you trying to crowd in too much?

Here is a dry run.

20161207_113657_zpsxqyxmhh9.jpg

Curt - rather than sacrificing any of your existing track, have you thought about the possibility of bolting-on 6"x18" extension over the fascia and putting the station building & parking lot on that? I probably need to draw a diagram to describe my idea, but I don't have time to do that right now since I'm at work...

Ken: That's a good suggestion and one I've used also to gain needed space.

Good morning everyone. Not as cold here in South Carolina but I manage a food warehouse and just got done in a -1 degree freezer so its cold! It's supposed to only get in the 40's here this weekend. Sounds like a good time for coffee, Netflix and our dogs. The basement isn't heated yet so its a good thing I'm still in my track planning stages!

Sauced: Sherrel's suggestion is fairly good option.

Just a quick suggestion on the heat. Consider electric baseboard.

Sherrel: Baseboard heating does work very well but if used much it sure does run up the electric bill, and mine are the 220 type which are supposed to be a lot more cost effective.

Good Morning Everyone. It's 32 and mostly cloudy here. Frost everywhere. Minor cold front tomorrow then back to the 60's by Sunday. Coffee Shop is busy this morning , good to see everyone.
Let's all take a minute to remember that today is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Give thanks to all of those brave servicemen who gave their lives, and those that came home for the country as we know it today.
In the train shed, I continued cleaning and organizing. Got the benchwork lumber cut and I'll start assembling today.

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Willie: Thank you for your Patriotism in remembering all those brave soles who went through that day! Sorry for being so late in posting this. Glad to hear you got the needed lumber and supplies you need for your layout.

Good evening. This is my fourth attempt to post this reply, SWMBO got home early and the diversions were many...

Bruce - sounds like Seasonal Affective Disorder, caused by not getting enough sunlight. I suffer from it myself. It's one of the reasons I often don't get much of anything done on my layout during the prime mrr season, I simply don't have the energy...

Thanks for the tip Curt, I'll look into that... Could be a game-changer! BTW Your loco terminal photo looks quite "real", that's what I hope to achieve on mine one of these years.

Ken -Bruce: It possibly could be a lack of Vitamin D which various supplements have in them.

Garry

St. Peter ....... "God, there are 20 souls from Detroit who just arrived at the Pearly Gates. We have never had any come from there before. Should I let them in?"
God ..... "Yes, St. Peter .... Go back to the Pearly Gates, and let them in."
St. Peter ..... "Yes, Sir. I shall do so."
..... Later ...... St Peter runs back to God ..
St. Peter ..... "God ! They are gone !"
God ........ "The souls from Detroit ?"
St. Peter ....... "No Sir. The Pearly Gates are gone!"

Garry: LMAO Too funny!!

> > >

Good morning. 28*F and sunny with a westerly breeze in central MD.
Thanks Curt and Willie!

I did a test install in the same F-unit #4546 that I've been working on since I started this project. Snapped a lot of cell phone pix, was up past midnight getting them cropped and uploaded to my website - here are two of them. The first one shows what it looks like with the clear styrene "glass" cover and the light turned off. It actually is countersunk, it just looks like it isn't in all the way. The second photo shows a closeup with the headlight turned on.

F7_4546_headlight_off.jpg

F7_4546_almost_here.jpg

I've decided to start a separate thread to avoid hijacking the Coffee Shop with this topic!

Ken: The head light lenses look great as well as the mounting discs. I was going to suggest trying a hole punch but was a little too late as you already thought of that.

....another one that I picked up,
still waiting for its delivery....

View attachment 59631

E29A at Piedmont, MT, in June '69!
Photo by Jim Ozment

Thought that I'd post this one that I bought....photo is by Mike Cleary and it's Milwaukee Road's enginehouse at Green Bay, WI, in May '79!

View attachment 59627

Mel: Interesting shot of the well used engine house.

I'm back. Still in one piece. Golly, ERIC! we are just going to have to put you in a straight jacket for you own safety! I know a little of what you are going through. My daughter, Stacy, who passed away back in September, had a feeding tube inserted into her stomach for a little longer than one year right after she was born. Wife and I had to change it on a weekly basis - it had a small balloon that held it in place which had to be inflated/deflated each time it was changed. I always dreaded even helping to change it. Not only was I scared of screwing it up, but the smell of the digestive fluids was not very nice.

Garry. Sorry, I thought it was funny, but in all honestly, I had heard it quite a while ago. Don't give up on us .. It's a busy time of year. BTW .. Congrats on your recent procedure .. Think I failed to mention that as we'll.

Here's one that made me Spit my coffee!

This guy brings his best golf buddy home, unannounced, for dinner at 6:30, after enjoying a day of golf. His wife screams her head off while his friend sits open mouthed and listens to the tirade.

"My hair and makeup are not done, the house is a f****** mess, and the dishes aren't done. I’m completely exhausted! I didn’t get enough sleep last night. Can't you see I'm still in my f****** pajamas?? I can't be bothered with cooking tonight! Why the f*** did you bring him home without letting me know ahead of time, you stupid idiot?"

“Because he’s thinking of getting married."

Sherrel: So much for making a favorable impression on his buddy! LoL

Good Morning ...... Coffee, please.

Curt and Ken (MD) ..... I do not like Curt's proposal of placing a station between tracks like that because, there is no place for people to drive up to the station in cars of places for Railway Express trucks etc. ..... I defiantly like Ken's idea of an extension on the side of the layout to accommodate passenger trains. .... I assume passenger trains are running on the main line and stop long enough for people to get on and off the train. I also assume the trains will not be parked at the station for more time than is needed for that.

New Guy .... You said 12 years ago you lost your Dad. .. I know losing our parents is hard. We never get over it.

A neighbor and friend here had multiple bi-pass heart surgery yesterday. As of this morning, he is doing as well as can be expected.

The lack of response to my Detroit joke suggests people did not read it, did not get it, or did not like it. Sorry.

I was at my model train friend's house yesterday and we worked on his layout and also on two of my locomotives.

Have a nice Thursday, everybody.

Garry: About your St. Petter story/joke, funny as hell to me!! LoL

Bruce: As Garry above said to you, loosing our parents is a tragic situation. I lost my dad January 9th, 1989 and I still think about him often as well as my Mom whom I lost in August 10th, 2011

Afternoon All,
Did several chores around the house this morning and later was up in the train room staring...staring...staring. I think I found another possible location for the station. The downside for me is that it is on the main. I'll take a picture of the location later in the week.

The left side of the station has been cut off (freight house side)

20161210_121402_zpsjds3e954.jpg

Curt:

View attachment 59662

Later

Afternoon All,

Back from Patrick AFB. Always a boring drive. Not much else planned for the week. I should make a decision about the passenger station tomorrow after some more staring...staring...staring and some measuring.

Chet- Nice job on the crossings. I will give that a try. You know you have bullet proof track when you can do that with a train.

Karl- I have been known to do that before.

Justin- Going anywhere special on vacation?

Milw113- Outstanding video.

Johnny- No problemo. See, I speak a second language.:eek: I wonder if part of the decoupler problem is that the magnets are too close together? I see a experiment in the future!

Here's another Blue painted Locomotive #12.

View attachment 59663

Just as well they had the forethought to put in carrier deck restraining cables.

Good evening guys

Chet
, nice grade crossing work, and you seriously forgot the trains were running?? Better double up on the Geritol!

Went to HD today, got molding, came home, brainfarted and cut it wrong, so I said screw it til tomorrow. Napped a bit of the day!

View attachment 59653

Time to hit the sack, and "coal up" for tomorrow!

Good morning,
2 Splenda, no cream please.

I saw some footage of the Army /Navy game, got a big smile watching our next President and his involvement. A rare sight indeed.
BBL gang, every one have a goodun! :D

Karl: Our New Patriotic President and the Army/Navy game. Finally, someone we can be proud of to lead Our Nation!! Hoorah, Hoorah!! !! !! The last one was a TrueBrainFARTY.

*Be 'very cautious' about the use of Splenda and it's toxic side affects.* A couple of links to review, especially Dr. Mercola:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ormation-about-potential-harmful-effects.aspx

http://www.livestrong.com/article/333994-does-sucralose-have-digestive-side-effects/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning my friends....

Another two slides arrived today, need to get myself a scanner soon, unless Santa....eeerrmmmm....never mind! lol

First one is GP20 #981 leading a westbound freight with three sisters at Davis Jct IL in '83....

IMG_20161213_113253.jpg

....and this one, SD40-2 #156 in Milwaukee, WI, no date....

$_3 (2).JPG

As I said, need to get a scanner, so that I can do the slides justice....

38 degrees in King George, VA.
Feeling kinda stuffy this morning. Had a hacking cough yesterday, I think from smoking a few cigars on Sunday while watching football in a friends mancave.
I might just take my laptop and go back home so I don't spread whatever this might be to others who have families.

Afternoon All,

Back from Patrick AFB. Always a boring drive. Not much else planned for the week. I should make a decision about the passenger station tomorrow after some more staring...staring...staring and some measuring.

Chet- Nice job on the crossings. I will give that a try. You know you have bullet proof track when you can do that with a train.

Karl- I have been known to do that before.

Justin- Going anywhere special on vacation?

Milw113- Outstanding video.

Johnny- No problemo. See, I speak a second language.:eek: I wonder if part of the decoupler problem is that the magnets are too close together? I see a experiment in the future!

I wish I wasn't going anywhere however I will be going to the in-laws this weekend and my mother's on the 23rd. I have a full slate of stuff on my vacation.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning fellers. It's a brisk start this morning. Next two days are going to be brutal as the highs will be in the 20s with wind chills in the teens. Added some more trees yesterday around the camp houses. Ofcourse when I moved one the front steps and porch support fell off. Irked me a little bit. I still have yet to build up my dwarf signals. I've played around with them some. They are 3mm LEDs I kinda wish they were 2mm instead as they just seem a little out of scale to me. I really like the Stewart F7 as well. I would take it over the Atlas one. I may add another GP35 or two to my fleet. I like the small nature of them. Still waiting on a determination from Athearn on what is going on with my RTR locomotives. Found out yesterday I have a 10 year span amongst my models. I didn't even know that. To my knowledge only one is used and that is my C&O unit. The other two were purchased new. Learn something new everyday.

Morning gang.
SWMBO'S birthday today, started the day with a cold shower, water heater died.
Guess who's getting a water heater for her birthday.:rolleyes:

Good morning fellers. It's a brisk start this morning. Next two days are going to be brutal as the highs will be in the 20s with wind chills in the teens. Added some more trees yesterday around the camp houses. Ofcourse when I moved one the front steps and porch support fell off. Irked me a little bit. I still have yet to build up my dwarf signals. I've played around with them some. They are 3mm LEDs I kinda wish they were 2mm instead as they just seem a little out of scale to me. I really like the Stewart F7 as well. I would take it over the Atlas one. I may add another GP35 or two to my fleet. I like the small nature of them. Still waiting on a determination from Athearn on what is going on with my RTR locomotives. Found out yesterday I have a 10 year span amongst my models. I didn't even know that. To my knowledge only one is used and that is my C&O unit. The other two were purchased new. Learn something new everyday.

There was a transition from the Blue Box models to the later RTR DCC ready with Quick Plug. I had a GP40-2 with grabirons etc factory fitted which still had the openings in the pilots so the shell lifts off without removing the couplers, same as the BB's, and a GP35 that was from the Quick Plug variety, both painted in the Kodachrome SP colors. Looked identical as far as details were concerned, but obviously from different production runs (still have the GP35). The original Genesis line used the same shells as the RTR's when they first appeared, have some from each too, can't tell the difference just looking at them.

Back