Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

Good Morning All. Very foggy and 43° here this morning. So foggy that I couldn't see the school bus on the road 220' away from the porch. I could see the flashing lights though. Yesterday was a beautiful day with a temperature of 58° and sunny skies with no wind. Perfect for garden and yard work. Today is supposed to be a repeat.
Out in the train shed, I only ran trains and pondered several large plywood areas.

Bruce -
Turned em all around yesterday morning and ran everybody counter clockwise most of the day,
Now for the true test, run some in each direction at the same time and try to not get cross-eyed.
Louis - The video of Stone Sour was not bad, but not as innovative as the stuff that I favor. Good for background barroom music. I prefer performance videos as opposed to artsy MTV videos...but that's just me. Give me a close-up of Eric Clapton or Joe Walsh doing a guitar solo any day.
Toot - LOL Both comments
David - Adding to your post count again...I got them all twice!!!
Ken (D&J) - Get well soon.
Karl - We just had a discussion regarding the tankless water heaters last week. Good Luck.
Ken in MD - You asked for pictures of some folded paper structures a couple of days ago. Here are a few:
12-13-16 003.JPG12-13-16 005.JPG
12-13-16 009.JPG
First one is a free download from Clever Models, it is an "O" scale that I scaled down with the computer. I believe I used 56% scaling from the original. The other two came from a State of Illinois historical website that has dozens of them. The website that I got them from no longer exists, but may be around in some other form. Original web address was https://www.illinois.gov/ihpa/preserve/pages/construct_mainstreet.aspx
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

YA "Santafe" ! I did do just that. Line 1 and 3 clockwise and 2 and 4 anti! It got a wee bit TENSE at times! Making sure everybody stayed on their line EVERY lap! Oh yes the Baldwin Shark and the SD45 went head to head and to my relief no obvious damage can be seen and they both still run! I was NOT pushing the speed at the time! No "floor models" with loco's YET! Last month, a "Fig Newton" gondola caught on my shirt, swung off the layout and EXPLODED on the floor! Things happen but I'm certainly not going to broadcast ALL my screw ups!!

Morning Gents,
It's snowing AND sticking here. I have a dr appt at 1430 so I wonder what it'll look like then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Morning Gents,
It's snowing AND sticking here. I have a dr appt at 1430 so I wonder what it'll look like then

UP he jumps! Was just wondering how you were faring and there you are!

1430?? You still on active duty operations? LOL! I suppose treating it like a "mission" is the way to go.

Take it easy out there, the half that never seen snow combined with the half that already can't drive is a bad combo!

Morning fellas. Is there any Central Vermont folks in our midst? I had a few questions from when I worked on the New England Central.

Good morning model railroaders. A strange weather morning out here. Got up at 0430 and it was 7 degrees. The winds picked up a bit and by 0530 it was degrees. Must ne some weather moving in. The weather forecast doesn't show any snow until the weekend and the radar is only showing some scattered snow.

Eric - Good to see you in here this morning. Guess you didn't see much snow in Georgia. Hope you don't have a problem getting to the doctor.

Willie - Those are some nice looking buildings. Not bad at all for paper. I never would have guessed.

113 - Enjoyed the photos.

Sherrel - Like the little blue switcher.

The Road Slug sure posted some photos of aome sweet B&) power. Sweet.

Curt - I absolutely would consider adding a small extension at the edge of the layout for the station. You would be losing a lot of yard tracks and some little 1/87 lady might get hit crossing the tracks to get to the station. It wouldn't have to be very large. It would be a shame to lose so much yard.

Sauced - Nice to see you visit the Coffee Shop.

Later.

We didn't really get much snow in GA. But i grew around here so this ain't new to me. Sure won't be any poblem getting to see the dr office.
539c76426bf7496f4799f351db573832.jpg

Good afternoon Shop dwellers! Gotta make this quick since I'm on-the-clock...

Willie, thanks for posting those photos of the printed cardstock buildings, they look great - as if they actually have surface relief! I think I'll go ahead and print some of my own corrugated metal walls and paste them onto some plain sheet styrene for my auto factory buildings. Now I need to locate a vendor who sells large styrene sheets (2'x4').

Chet - thanks for the kind words about my motive power! Are referring to my recent how-to thread? I spent 3 hours composing that thing...

Sherrell - nice pic of the little Frisco switcher, you been holdin' out on us?:D

Eric - best of luck on your Dr appt. At least you're in a northern state that is accustomed to snow and has the right equipment for clearing the roads...

See you all over in the next Coffee Shop!

Afternoon All,

I finally decided where to put the station. It is at the back of the layout and on the main. I won't run a lot of passenger trains so the location is fine. I really thought long and hard about doing the extension, but the only location that I could do it was in the front of the layout and I knew it would drive me crazy in the end.

Well I am kind of famous these days! I was reading the newest Keystone magazine that just came in. I discovered I am in the front row of a picture of the PRRT&HS business meeting at the convention held at Camp Hill, PA earlier in the year.

Milw113- The second one looks like a bicentennial paint job.

Justin- That sounds about right. We usually need a vacation to recover from our vacation.

Willie- The paper buildings look much better than I expected. The only downside I see is there is no inside depth when you look at the windows, but they should be great in the background.

Eric- Good luck with your Dr. appointment.

Ken- How about large styrene "FOR SALE" signs? They can be braced with styrene strips on the back side if needed. I know Lowe's has a larger sized one.

20161213_112008_zps07amf19d.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt - The pawn shop has cut-out windows/doors with clear styrene installed. The guitars are individual cut-outs glued to another piece of styrene. Tha building does have interior walls as well. This is not the best picture. I have contemplated doing the farmhouse over and doing the same for the windows in it. I do have PDF's of all of them and just have to re-print.
Ken in Md - I was going to suggest the "For Sale" signs also, but Curt beat me to it. They are usually available at Home Depot, or for free from a local realtor.
Willie

Willie- Please don't think I was belittling your excellent modeling. To my eyes the windows in the pictures don't look like clear styrene. But what do I know? LOL.:confused:

Hey Everybody!

I just have a minute to say hello.

Is the coffee half price today?

What can I say, I'm born and raised in southeast Baltimore and we take being cheap to another level.

Have a great night Everybody!

Good evening Rail & Tie Placers and Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, How are my two favorite waitresses to night? Things seem a bit slow here at Jeffrey Running Rears' Dinner tonight? Have you ever heard anybody say they'd seen the bears go running by the place

Per Wunderground Weather - It's Partly Cloudy at 50.5 °F - Feels Like 50.5 °F
Wind Variable Wind from East at 5.0
Pressure 30.10 in
Visibility 6.0 miles
Clouds Few 8500 ft
Dew Point 46 °F
Humidity 85%
Rainfall 0.00 in -- The total rain fall to date is 5.08"
Snow Depth Not available.

I got a late start today trying to get the starter put back on my horizontally opposed twin cylinder B&S engine but ran into a
couple of problems with the bolt slipping out from between my two fingers a I was trying to get in into the frame of the starter and then get it started in the engine mounting holes. The first time it fell to the weed covered ground and was almost hidden in the low weeds and the lock washer fell off the bolt too which was a bit more trouble to find and day light was getting rather dim. Then it decided to fall down on the shroud that goes around the flywheel and partially under the engine. I could feel it but couldn't get it to come out so tomorrow I'm going to use a Cow magnet inserted in a section of old garden hose so I can hopefully get it sucked up, so to speak and pulled out of it's hiding place. Oh well, things could be worse.

Afternoon All,

I finally decided where to put the station. It is at the back of the layout and on the main. I won't run a lot of passenger trains so the location is fine. I really thought long and hard about doing the extension, but the only location that I could do it was in the front of the layout and I knew it would drive me crazy in the end.

Well I am kind of famous these days! I was reading the newest Keystone magazine that just came in. I discovered I am in the front row of a picture of the PRRT&HS business meeting at the convention held at Camp Hill, PA earlier in the year.

20161213_112008_zps07amf19d.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: That looks like a better spot, but how about turning it around and having it share the freight house siding to keep it off the main line completely and the passengers would only have to contend with train traffic on the siding.

Good Morning All. Very foggy and 43° here this morning. So foggy that I couldn't see the school bus on the road 220' away from the porch. I could see the flashing lights though. Yesterday was a beautiful day with a temperature of 58° and sunny skies with no wind. Perfect for garden and yard work. Today is supposed to be a repeat.
Out in the train shed, I only ran trains and pondered several large plywood areas.

David - Adding to your post count again...I got them all twice!!!

View attachment 59678View attachment 59679
View attachment 59680
First one is a free download from Clever Models, it is an "O" scale that I scaled down with the computer. I believe I used 56% scaling from the original. The other two came from a State of Illinois historical website that has dozens of them. The website that I got them from no longer exists, but may be around in some other form. Original web address was https://www.illinois.gov/ihpa/preserve/pages/construct_mainstreet.aspx
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie: Yeah, this darn site was causing me fits late last night. When I first put the post together it was quite a bit too long and I needed to divide it up. I copied it and pasted it in my Open Office Word Processor and saved it there so I could see what section I was copying to move back over the forum window here to paste in place and get it posted. Would you know that in most all cases it double posted and even triple posted what I only posted, 'once'! So I was getting frustrated and a bit confused after a bit as I was attempting to delete all the additional posts. A real PIA.

Curt - The pawn shop has cut-out windows/doors with clear styrene installed. The guitars are individual cut-outs glued to another piece of styrene. Tha building does have interior walls as well. This is not the best picture. I have contemplated doing the farmhouse over and doing the same for the windows in it. I do have PDF's of all of them and just have to re-print.
Ken in Md - I was going to suggest the "For Sale" signs also, but Curt beat me to it. They are usually available at Home Depot, or for free from a local realtor.
Willie

Willie: I guess you glue the various wall sections of the building to a stiff backing and hence the mention about using for sale signs. Another thing you you might also find useful is Foam Core Board available in various thicknesses that might offer a light weight material to mount the printed building sides to. It should be available in most any art supply store.

Here's another Blue painted Locomotive #12.

View attachment 59663

Sherrel: That's a rather interesting looking medium size switcher, is that on the start of your new layout?

Back