Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Good Morning all,

Pleasant 64 degrees this morning going into the low 80s. I was noticing on the way into work this morning that it’s staying darker longer. Summer is slipping away, and it feels like it just started. Must be because I’m getting older it seems like time is flying by.

Have a splendid day.

Good morning y'all. 75 and wet. With forecasted continued wetness again today. Trying to knock out a couple of small jobs today in between the rain showers. Had to push my big job for the week back until next week. May get some time to play with trains today. Took pictures of the score of freight cars I picked up a couple of weeks back. Thought I'd share them with you guys.
20180801_192240.jpg20180801_192159.jpg20180801_192112.jpg20180801_192038.jpg20180801_191958.jpg20180801_191933.jpg20180801_191906.jpg20180801_191836.jpg20180801_191755.jpg20180801_191639.jpg

I arrived at work (exciting ride) to find the power out.
No word on when it will be restored.

Oh what fun! We lost the ability to make outgoing calls for about 4 hours yesterday. Folks could call in, but we couldn't call out.
Had to resort to our cel phones. Ain't technology grand!

There's always a deck of cards, got any fives? Oh, go fish huh?

Good Morning All. 67° and partly cloudy. Cool weather is over after this morning, high of 92° yesterday gives way to 96° today. Spent another 45 minutes with the chainsaw again yesterday, my self-imposed limit. Our propane supplier sent a crew by yesterday and they lifted, reset and repainted our propane tank. As soon as it's empty, they are going to replace the broken 64 year old gauge that's on it. Tank was manufactured in 1954 according to the info plate which is sort of like a COTS label that's on a freight car. We have no clue how much propane may be in there, although they estimated about ten gallons or less. I purchased the tank second-hand in 1981 for $50, current cost is around $600.
Life has resettled here without the constant remodeling chores/issues. That will change for one day after I pick up the special order shower door today. I think that Felix is coming back tomorrow or Saturday at the latest to finish that and the other loose ends. Picks up his final payment as well. I'll get the door on the grocery/beer trek today.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued to install the fascia in places where I didn't need any cut pieces. After Felix leaves I can retrieve my sawhorses and set them up outside the shed door and start with the cut pieces. Meanwhile the workbench sat idle for a day and I ran some more trains. I've run more in the last three days than in a month before that. Well that's what the the whole setup is there for!:cool:

Mike - Yeah! The newer "holidays" that greeting card companies have come up with since the 60's is incredible. I agree that the unexpected romancing is the best. My wife's birthday is February 12. I told her well before we were married that I would only observe one day, birthday or Valentines, not both. We've been married 46 years!
Garry - Great picture of the DT66-2000 locos.
Jesse - Good luck with maintenance and detailing projects. I've developed special fondness for some projects that brought cars back from the scrap heap. Quite a score judging from the pictures so far. Phones are for speaking to others; cameras are for taking pictures. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Sherrel - Thoughts are with your daughter, may she have a short recovery.
Terry - Very sorry to read about your wife's condition. My thoughts and prayers go out for her for a rapid resolution. I hope the medication helps.
Karl - Congratulations to your GF's son. Probably shouldn't take him on that sailboat ride though.

Fruity beer just doesn't go well for me. One of my SIL's likes it so I have to always remember to bring my own when I go to his house; although he's beginning to keep some Heineken there just for me after I repeatedly left some in his fridge.

Everybody have a great day.

Jesse,

Looks like a really nice score! Looks to be quite a nice variety there! I’m sure it’s out there, but I never seem to stumble on lots like that.

Willie - glad to hear that your remodeling adventure is nearly complete. I'm looking forward to the projects. I have a lot of work on my hands, but it will be worth it. I could save a lot of time buying new or undecorated cars for my roads, but to me that is the equivalent of paying someone to build a hot rod for you to putz around town in. My wife's birthday is Valentine's day. I usually combine the two. But lately I haven't been able to give the day the attention I prefer to.

Sherrel - must have missed that one. Hope your daughter is well.

Jesse,

Looks like a really nice score! Looks to be quite a nice variety there! I’m sure it’s out there, but I never seem to stumble on lots like that.
Lucked up on the Facebook marketplace. Got those, 4 diesels, an Amtrak light rail type car, a few buildings, and a huge pile of track with power supply. Guy was moving and had to sell. Talked him down to $80. Would have still been a steal at the $100 he was asking. Of course that blew a couple of month's worth of train budget, but it's ok. It has now plopped me right I the middle of the space conundrum. Meaning I have N scale space and less equipment, but basically an entire layout's worth of HO. So, I'm trying to figure out how to build both now. Lol.

Morning Fellows: Doctor appointment so I will be brief. Just a check-up. With all the surgerys I had, I have not visited my primary in over two years. He misses me! I don't think I really have any complaints except "older age types" where just about everything hurts!

MIKE - You think the days are moving fast now -- Just you wait -- mine are now just a blur.

Later, guys -- Good hit Jesse!

Good morning Everybody!

Terry I'm sorry to hear about your wife still having troubles, I hope and pray for the best for you both.

Quick update: it seems the pictures were bad because there was mud on my camera lens. Being in the profession of rain making and when taking into consideration that all of the earth in my little portion of it is red clay, mud becomes a fact of life and usually garners no special atattention. Willie, I do occasionally talk on my phone as well but it does seem that I use it for everything except talking. Lol

Sherrel - does you doc miss you, or your insurance company's money? Lol.

Speaking of power problems...

I had an unsual problem a month or so ago. I kept having intermittent power loss on some circuits in my house. I pulled out the old multi-meter and proceeded to become even more confused! I understand the fundamentals of electronics, E = I x R I've studied circuit approximations, communications electronics, I even built my own brand of computers in the 90s, but this had me stumped! After tracing circuits, measuring voltages and impendence I was more confused than when I started.

Finally I called BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) come to find out I had a bad connection (cracked terminal block) on one phase of my house power. The good news was the problem was at the poll and did not cost me a penny to get it fixed.

The circuit would close when one of the 240v appliances was running and all was well. When the circuit was open some power was back feeding into the dead circuits and that is where my confusion came from.

Bottom line; when you begin working on house power first thing to do is to measure the incoming voltages. Otherwise you might end up chasing your tail as I did.

Good morning .....

Sherrel ... You mentioned your daughter was in a rear-end collision, and I hope she is okay. If her aches and pains persist, she would have a doctor find out why. .... My daughter and her husband were in a rear-end collision a few days ago, too. They were in their SUV, and did not get hurt. The woman who ran into them was on her cell phone, and her small Nissan was totaled. Again, I am reminded why I prefer driving large vehicles. ....

Jesse .... It's good you acquired all of those trains. When you get to the point you are running them on the layout, the train cars may need modifications. If those were my cars, I would replace hornbook couplers with Kadee couplers mounted on the car bodies. Plastic wheels should be replaced with metal ones, or the trucks (if low quality) replaced with good quality ones. Cars may need weights added if they are too light. Check coupler height with a coupler height gauge, and check if wheels are spaced on the axles correctly with a wheel gauge. ... I think it is fun doing those things.

Willie and Mike .... Regarding "holidays" promoted by greet card companies. ... Many years ago, I moved to Detroit and found out they celebrate Sweetest Day. I was told the local candy company, Sanders, promoted the "holiday" to stimulate sales of chocolates. (The company still makes very good chocolate candy.) ...

Willie .... Good to hear you are making progress with your fascia project.

Garry - thanks for the tip. I already plan to swap out trucks and wheelsets. As with my N scale cars, I plan to use the body mount magnetic couplers. I like the idea of being able to closely simulate real operations even if it means more work (wiring, etc) and cost (doesn't everything with this hobby?).

Good Afternoon Everyone...much needed rain last night, but we need more.

Short trip to Walther's this morning. Heard rumors that the Chinese factory closing will affect many manufactures and the delay in releasing new products will be 9-12 months.

Yesterday installed a Digitrax decoder in my new Northern Pacific S4 locomotive. Easy installation. The shell is removed by simply removing the couplers and slipping the shell off the chassis. Installed the decoder, but decided later to install the decoder with a longer harness so I could mount the decoder over the circuit board where the least amount of electronics are located. The locomotive is a sweet runner and the quality of the Bachmann locomotive(s) has greatly improved.

After lunch need to load the truck for my solo trip to the cabin. Sanding and staining this weekend.

That's all for now.

Greg

################################################

Afternoon All,

Got my hairs cut today and did some errands. Tomorrow I'm taking youngest grandson to his school to get a school ID and lap top. Of course the road that runs in front of the school is still closed for construction like it has been for 6 months:mad:.

Gregjl- Welcome to the forum.

Terry- Praying for your wife. I didn't realize her condition was that serious.

Karl- Your GF's son sounds like a smart kid. Nice locomotive photo.

Migalyto- Come to FL then you can have blazing heat until mid October if not later:eek:. LOL.

Jesse- Nice looking cars.

Sherrel- I must have missed about your daughter. I hope she is doing better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back