Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am on break from the train room and just finished lunch. All 48 carbs and 260 calories of it!

The huge fricking 8’ long corrugated double wall box the last new piece of furniture ordered in July of 2021 is cut up and in the recycling bin for tomorrow. I was safe!

The rain is also on break as per the weather TV guesser and the WeatherChannel app the rain is here till Monday morning. Almost 4” of falling sky water in the manual gauge since 10 last night when I made sure it was empty.

Working on finishing up some weathering of rolling stock.

This is an All Door Thrall lumber car. Build from the 1970’s into the late 80’s of the pictures I found none were rustbuckets. That’s not to say there weren’t any, they just weren’t in the pictures I reviewed. Since I model 2005 I thought a touch more dirty then the pictures should do.
85A02CD3-1A1E-4011-89CA-0D68DF2E3819.jpeg
4AE235B1-8FA1-4631-93E5-545381E08C96.jpeg

Next as a contrast showing another lumber car out of the box
93B56902-9653-4D80-8209-E434ECA863C0.jpeg

The overhead drone shot shows a new toy, an Auger to be painted and put into use in the transload yard. Iam not looking forward to digging a pit that the cars unload into and the Auger moves to a waiting transport
13A55607-B723-49A1-A09E-697756FEDBED.jpeg

enjoy the day

Afternoon All,

Ran a couple of errands for Dad before he returns tomorrow. In the train room I ballasted the spur for the new freight house after shortning the spur by 6" so there is room for a road in and out. I'm trying to decide to model concrete or asphalt. Whatever I decide it's going to be a pain because of all the involved outside curves. Probaly no train time tomorrow or post here. If not I'll be back on Tuesday...sorry to threaten you. 😂

Terry- I"m very sorry to hear about your friend. Great layout shot.

Gary- Pretty flowers. What kind are they? I know almost zero about flowers since MOH doesn't plant them.

Smudge- There is always someone better than you (not you specifically), the trick is to pick up the bits that make your modeling better so that you improve. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm blessed with 2 local friends that are top-notch modelers.

Guy- Like you my initial thought was I don't like the color, but the more I look at it I think that it is good the way it is.

Dave- Happy Birthday to your wife and Mother. That is a lot of wood. I have had a detail part that I couldn't figure out what it was (given to me) but now I know it's a wood stack like yours. Nice layout scene.

TomO- Very nice weathering.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Tell me about it, there are so many I don't know where to look, all great builds, all with very realistic scenery, (I loved Willie's chickens). Then I look at my attempt and want to curl up on a corner, but having said that, they also all give me inspiration and a "one day, that'll be me" attitude towards my MRR.
Your layout is great Smudge, I am using your hard work as a template to help me.

Smudge- There is always someone better than you (not you specifically), the trick is to pick up the bits that make your modeling better so that you improve. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm blessed with 2 local friends that are top-notch modelers

Oh I know, couple of months ago, I didn't know a fig about weathering a structure, I was always too scared to try, now, after seeing what can be done, and some encouragement from members here, I've now done 5, not perfect by any means, but every one I do is better than the previous one, as you said, Rome wasn't built in a day.

As I promised Guy, I am back with a brief description of how I do ground cover. Note that this is just the way that I do it, others may do it differently and I don't claim that this is the best way.
I have a spray bottle of water/isopropyl alcohol mixture at 60:40. I also have a water/glue mix in a bottle of Elmer's White Glue, also mixed at 60:40 with a few drops of Dawn Liquid Dishwasher Liquid. Use White Glue or Glue All and not School Glue which is much more dilute.
IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG

First, I use Woodland Scenics Green Blend foam. I use it as a base for everything. Sometimes I add some Dark Green or Yellow to it for variety. Today I am just using it right out of the can so to speak. I actually transfer it to a small condiment cup from restaurant pick up orders for ease of handling; partially visible on the right of the above picture.
IMG_1437.JPG

Next a brief shot of the target area between the two industries in my current project area.
IMG_1436.JPG

First, that loose ballast was swept back to the spur where it will receive glue when I do the adjacent ground foam.
After tracing the building outlines, I wet the whole area with the water/IPA mixture. I took a picture, but you can't see any difference.
Then I spread the ground foam over the area, since this is between two industrial buildings, it is not spread as evenly as if it was a lawn.
IMG_1440.JPG

That small area in the top right corner with the gravel leads to a stairway at the back of the Coffee Distributor.
After it is in place, I thoroughly wet it wet it with the water/IPA, holding the spray bottle at least 12" away to avoid scattering the foam.;
IMG_1442.JPG

Then I use the glue bottle to dribble the water/glue mixture over everything. One could use an eyedropper to do this, but it is one more tool that has to be cleaned.
IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG

In the top of this picture, you can see that I spread some coarse foam closest to the tracks to represent a more rough and seldom mowed zone.
It looks sloppy right now, but the glue dries clear. At this stage, I can add more foam to any thin spots without any other treatment. In this case I added a few sprinkles of brownish foam to the surface. With this much glue, capillary action soaks the foam that you add. I generally wipe the rails with a paper towel to remove any water/IPA. This is not necessary but it kinda cleans the rails if needed.
This is what it looks like three hours later.
IMG_1452.JPG

Any stray material can be removed with a single-edge razor blade after it dries. Any touch-up I usually do a day later. In this case some of the voids will be filled in with field grass or weeds; or more foam can be added if the bare spots bother you. Since this area is about 3.5' from eye level, it is not as critical to be perfect. I will see today when I look at it and return the buildings.
I hope that this is useful to anyone who has any apprehensions about ground cover. It's relatively easy, but can't be rushed. Practice in a far corner of the layout first.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 38
Out to Birthday dinner for the Spousal Unit with the "kit n kaboodle" family!
CURT, Don't fret - the wife does flowers and I still don't know squat! Fact is we spent an amount of time at HD getting yeard supplies and flowers to plant.

SRIRACHA arrived from Amazon today; I am a happy camper!

Chad or anyone who can tell me. There was a time not so long-ago diesel was cheaper than gas. What caused the flip?

I don't really know, but will prognosticate:

In the US, gasoline is the main refining product, while diesel is a by-product (not strictly speaking but they set up and optimize for gasoline and everything else comes as part of the process -- I've heard that Europe is different and optimizes for diesel -- or at least did). Diesel is a lot simpler to refine, as I understand it so you'd think it would be cheaper. It probably is in some parts of the country. I know here in Utah it would sometimes be cheaper and sometimes more expensive. The last couple of years it has been more expensive.

Because the refining process is optimized for gasoline it may be that that drives down the cost of refining or that they make a lot more of it so there is more supply. Don't really know. Then each state taxes it differently so some states may have higher taxes on diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back