Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!

In honor of national beer day I lift a stein with a hearty prosit for one and all!

Guy , cool cars!

Speaking of automobiles here are 2 here at the shop.
26422B41-3032-41D8-89D7-86B999503A3E.jpeg

1926 Chevy truck, it runs and drives fine, usually can be found parked in the show room.
BEA00AB5-EFA2-4F67-AD16-4A411B6D791E.jpeg

My newest “toy”. Runs good and the a/c is cold. Needs some brake work and trans lines , all fluids changes, and a full detailing.
BBL

A good mid-day to all youse guys! It's my favorite temperature of 69 degrees at the moment and for today we are advertising the following: Today: Mostly sunny. Warm and breezy , high near 89°F . We actually had a rain shower this morning at 3 AM. I opened the window as it sounded so nice hitting the aluminum patio cover beneath.
This morning I was crushed to find only, maybe, an 8th of an inch in the G-son's play pool which was left out.

TERRY - still laughing over the doughnut post - good one!
GUY - love the oil dealership, vehicles, and details - especially like the
"bulldog" faced one.
PATRICK -- neat story about the pecan tree; I hope that it does real well for you. I did not realize that the temp around Wichita was so blooming hot all the time. Going back 50 years plus - I can remember how cold it was there, but not the heat; we had a flight that overnighted there and I can remember many nights in a motel near the airport that had red velvet on the walls and shag carpet!
JOE - You did not say: Did you get the Centipede picture? Sorry about the legs, getting older sucks - I see really nothing GOLD about it?
DAVE B. Nice little "shifter" there. I hate that I did not obtain a Varney (or two) with the full valve gear years back! Your layout is looking great!

OAN .. Cannot remember if I mentioned that we did not get the house - think I did?
Spousal Unit is now thinking that we might just stay here until time for the "old folks home" ... I told her that we are already there-LOL. Now, she is talking about overhauling the kitchen - Says that she has never liked the layout! I'm not saying anything - I'm a "kept" man now .. LOL
I've had bunches of phone cals while i have been trying to type this.
MEL -FLO, Mopre coffee please!

We called them Garden Spiders. As a kid, I would spend a lot of time hiking though fields, looking for Praying Mantis, snakes, what have you.

Nothing would turn me into a Karate Master faster than walking face first into one of those webs, LOL! But it was always fun to catch a grasshopper and toss it into a web if you were lucky enough to spot the web before running face first into it.

We called them Garden Spiders. As a kid, I would spend a lot of time hiking though fields, looking for Praying Mantis, snakes, what have you.

Nothing would turn me into a Karate Master faster than walking face first into one of those webs, LOL! But it was always fun to catch a grasshopper and toss it into a web if you were lucky enough to spot the web before running face first into it.
You can't see it in the picture that I posted, but there is a grasshopper in the web. Many years these gals get as large as my hand. This looks to be one of them. There's bigger ones out and about. The males are about the size as a nickel (legs and all), are usually eaten immediately after the mating ritual. Some get away.
As Ken pointed out, there is a "zipper" effect in their webs that is unique. It's barely visible below the spider itself.

You can't see it in the picture that I posted, but there is a grasshopper in the web. Many years these gals get as large as my hand. This looks to be one of them. There's bigger ones out and about. The males are about the size as a nickel (legs and all), are usually eaten immediately after the mating ritual. Some get away.
As Ken pointed out, there is a "zipper" effect in their webs that is unique. It's barely visible below the spider itself.
Yep, we have them here in Ohio as well. Although, the biggest one I have seen is probably about 4 inches in length, including the legs. They are substantial! I like having them around. They are harmless to humans, but still startle me when I get surprised by one. I find spiders fascinating, but they creep me out too.

Mike, when I heard about Vin Scully my first thought was of you. I knew you would feel it deeply. I'm deeply sorry friend.

Sausages, I love that stuff!
I'm a man of simple tastes. Subtle is probably a better word.
I don't like lots of spices or combinations of strong flavors.

My way of eating hamburgers is a good example.
Cheeseburgers - ketchup, yellow mustard, and dill pickle chips. That is all!
Hamburger (no cheese) - lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. Nothing else needed or wanted.
I would pass on that hamburger Jaz posted. I don't even like A1 steak sauce. A good steak only needs salt in my book.

I know you are right, there are many good sausages that most other people would prefer.
I've been to the Kecskemet Market in Hungary. I have sampled many of the hundreds of sausages hanging in the market.
To be honest 9 times out of 10 I'll prefer to have a Johnsonville Jalapeno Cheddar sausage, boiled please. Add some yellow (not sweet, the onions that "talk back") onions and sauerkraut, that is what they will serve in my version of heaven!

I hope you are having a good day my friend.

Thank you for the condolences on Vin’s passing. There is going to be a public memorial before tonight’s game vs San Diego. He lived a good, long life to age 94. I told my wife when Sandi passed away last year, from ALS, that Vin wouldn’t be far behind. Vin is the one who introduced me to the game of baseball & the Dodgers, when he was doing NBC’s GOTW back in 1977.
My friend in Toledo was a chef. He once told me that steak sauce is a coverup for either a cheap cut or a bad cook.

Last edited:
I remember thos big ones around the house in Arkansas too!

Spiders come right behind snakes on my least desirable list. Very shortly after Kate and I married - I found a Tarantula in the garage - fairly large one too - I was just about ready to clobber it with a shovel when the oldest daughter, age 10, ran over and gently picked it up and carried it to the hill in back of the house!
Made me feel like an idiot!

Good morning gang!

In honor of national beer day I lift a stein with a hearty prosit for one and all!

Guy , cool cars!

Speaking of automobiles here are 2 here at the shop.
View attachment 149683
1926 Chevy truck, it runs and drives fine, usually can be found parked in the show room.
View attachment 149684
My newest “toy”. Runs good and the a/c is cold. Needs some brake work and trans lines , all fluids changes, and a full detailing.
BBL
I had an S-10 almost exact same one! At least looked the same, although wheels were a little different. Mine was a 4 speed and there was a noise came from the clutch area that drove me crazy - didn't seem to bother anyone else, though. It was a high pitched whine, maybe something like a dog whistle that only I could hear

caused me to trade it in after driving for only a year. It was especially nice in traffic cause of its size. Also pretty peppy.

Hi All.

Been busy today, landlord phoned this morning to let me know the electrician was coming today to fit a new door/intercom system, not bad, only taken him 11 years (I've been here over 12 years now). Apparently the plasterer is coming next week to plaster the ceiling in my kitchen after the tenants upstairs flooded their bathroom and caused the ceiling to collapse, only been waiting 3 years for that to be done.

In other news.

I've fitted all the new TO's and drilled all the holes for the wires, also removed all the old connectors and wiring I had from the old track and lights etc. from one half of the layout, tomorrow I need to do the other half, and work out where the new yard lights need to go on that side, the new industrial area can wait till I've built the new structures, as that side is the easiest to do anyway.

I'm going to do a total re-wire of the layout, new cabling for the TO's, yard lights and buildings etc. I've known that I needed to do this for a while, my original attempt was a nightmare to say the least, it needs to be done properly and neatly unlike the mess it is now.

I was hoping that I wouldn't need to replace the Buss wire, but there's far to many places where there are now bare wires from removing the track connectors and although I could tape them up, it's just not worth doing, it would take me two or three hours to do that, so simpler and quicker to replace the Buss cable entirely.

I'll take some photo's (before and after) while I do this, and post them in a week or two, I hope, on my layout re-vamping thread.

Last edited:
I remember thos big ones around the house in Arkansas too!

Spiders come right behind snakes on my least desirable list. Very shortly after Kate and I married - I found a Tarantula in the garage - fairly large one too - I was just about ready to clobber it with a shovel when the oldest daughter, age 10, ran over and gently picked it up and carried it to the hill in back of the house!
Made me feel like an idiot!

LOL! did you jump up on chair and squeal like a girl? I would have, and probably would have been on the ham radio requesting air support. 🤣

You are correct sir! I can attest to that.

I sometimes struggle with low sodium and potassium. I once spent a night in the hospital because of it.
Potassium plays a key role in maintaining a normal heart rhythm.
My EKG was crazy, they thought I might be having a heart attack. I had to stay the night.
The blood test showed extremely low sodium and potassium. No heart attack, I drank too much water and did not eat right.
If I remember correctly that excess water cost me about two grand!

Now I eat a green banana every day. Bananas are a good source of potassium, and they are cheap.

I must watch how much water I drink. I have been told and I learned firsthand, too much water will wash out many minerals, including sodium and potassium.
Louis- that is why I’m on a daily potassium supplement. One of the meds I take for prevention of kidney stones is a “water pill”, which in turn flushes the kidneys(& takes potassium with it).

Potassium...

A commonly prescribed ACE inhibitor, Lisinopril, can cause too high level of potassium. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic, that removes potassium. Both help lower hypertension, so it is a cocktail that many doctors prescribe to treat blood pressure without affecting potassium levels as much as using either drug alone.
I take Lisinopril, but not Hydrochlorothiazide. I take Lozol instead.

Very shortly after Kate and I married - I found a Tarantula in the garage - fairly large one too - I was just about ready to clobber it with a shovel when the oldest daughter, age 10, ran over and gently picked it up and carried it to the hill in back of the house!

Our neighbor had a large tarantula up under the garage door eave (the top of teh garage entrance doorway). I went into the house to try and find a bottle to put it in so we could take it out to the foothills nearby and when I got back out (it took awhile) someone had smashed the thing and it was lying dead in the grass between our houses... :(

This was 4 or 5 or so years ago. A year later we saw one walking on the sidewalk at our neighbors house and we also were up at the U of U at a concert at their outdoor venue and walking back to the car afterwards out in a long long dirt parking lot, by the light of the moon, we saw a really large one walking across the parking lot. As long as they don't surprise you they are really interesting to look at and watch. However, I am not sure I am brave enough to actually pick one up :)

Afternoon All,

After my morning walk SIL and grandson arrived at the house. Grandson stayed to do chores so he could earn some spending money. After MOH took him home I finished weathering the last 2 hoppers and putting loads in them.

Jeff- Great weight loss.

Troy- Maybe the Navy perfected their "Philadelphia Experiment". :rolleyes:

Joe- I also had the coughing side effect.

Dave- Nice little loco. I'm kinda set in my ways. Maybe a splash of OCD. My wife would probably say more than a splash!😂

Guy- Great looking cars. I have a bunch on my layout.

TomO- I'm glad your wife is doing better.

Willie- Good progress on the siding. Those tomato bushes (trees) are huge.

Karl- The 1926 truck is cool.

Smudge- That sounds like a major job.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I worked this morning. Amazon is a bit slow recently, but they still pay good if you are willing to get up early. I'm always up early and I need the exercise, win, win!
They only gave us six stops this morning. We had to do another run to get enough exercise. No problem, double money is always good.

We went to the grocery store for two things. Turned into $98 for a cart full. I'm as bad in a grocery store as I am in the train store, probably worse!

Took my nap and now I'm enjoying the afternoon westerns fat and happy on my couch with the beagles. 😃

Turns out I'm an old stick in the mud.
I bought my grandsons a PS5 to use when they are here. I am think its an ugly thing. My wife and grandson think it's cool. Hence I'm a stick in the mud. To me it looks like something from the Jetsons. What was wrong with the design of the PS4 Pro?
I got the PS5 with the Blu-Ray player from Amazon for $499. It was a special offer I could not refuse. This version plays PS4 disks too. No need to have the PS4 on an already overcrowded gaming center. I never would have thought there are this many gaming systems available.

That's all folks.

Have a great day Everybody!

Afternoon all,

Errands ran and grandkids visited the local museum. Small city, small museum. Took 45 minutes to see everything. Now home trying to stay cool.

Willie: Ironhorseman has the old school building with the gymnasium. I think you're correct in that he isn't currently the there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back