Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
dang Sherrel, an aneurism? Seems you would want to stand down from your moderator job with a condition like that.
Well folks, I cancelled my trip west due to my recurring back condition. I left Detroit area yesterday morning about 7am. My leg wasn't feeling to good but I pressed on assuming it would correct itself. Not so. I kept getting worse as though it were asleep. I stopped several times trying to walk the feeling out of it but no dice. I was west of Indianapolis about 40 miles when I had to stop again due to the pain. Decided I just can't continue the trip like this if it's going to get worse, so I turned back east and headed home.
Drove all night and pulled into the driveway at 5am, about 950 miles for the drive.
Called the doc but still no return call.
Try a warm bath with Epsom salt, it may do no good,but it won’t do any harm. Relaxes muscles relieves pain.

At one time, Popeyes also owned Church’s Fried Chicken.
My favorite fast food is KFC. No matter what you say it's the best tasting chicken of all. Having said that I will also say I'll never eat there again. My last adventure in Fried Chicken dining was a total disaster. It had been quite awhile since I last visited the local coop and this time I was very disappointed. The chicken was done the usual way but it was such small pieces that I really thought I was eating a canary. My four piece dinner cooked in the original manner along with cold green beans and a biscuit that would have cracked the concrete floor had I dropped it just turned me off. If I could have molded the four pieces of chicken together they would have made one drumstick on one decent sized chicken. If that wasn't bad enough the stupid dinner cost me $20. I call that Chicken $%#t robbery. Since KFC is the only chicken joint in our little town I now either fry my own which is edible at best or go without. Rotisserie chicken at the local Publix Market is good too.

Regarding spam political texts:

I got an interesting one a week or two ago. It came from an AZ number supporting a candidate from AZ (and I am not in AZ). It was addressed to a name other than mine. What is interesting is that my brother DOES live in Arizona and the name it was addressed to is his first name, though not the name he goes by. I surmise they somehow linked my telephone number with his voter registration (he is, sadly, registered for "the other guys"). The guy who sent the text identified himself by name and as someone representing that candidate's campaign. I replied to the text, asking how he could support the disgusting policies of that candidate and party. (I went into more detail with him). I did finally get one reply apologizing for bothering me and pointing me to the candidates website if I ever thought I would be interested in supporting him.

I've continued intermittently to text him back, by name, and poke him about the various disgusting policie, and saying that by his silence he is confirming his support for them, etc. I'll keep texting him off and on. After all, he thought it ok to spam me, so it must be ok for me to spam him.

It won't do any good but gives me a chuckle now and then.
Love it….lol

Gorgeous pictures Gary.

It’s too bad Terry and I have so many places in the USA yet to visit. Canada has always been a favorite of mine and I loved both Ottawa and Montreal. But we need to see stuff here before venturing North.
Found out from my family that I am a Mi'kmac Indian from many generations back. My recent DNA confirmed that at what is now 1% native.

My favorite fast food is KFC. No matter what you say it's the best tasting chicken of all. Having said that I will also say I'll never eat there again. My last adventure in Fried Chicken dining was a total disaster. It had been quite awhile since I last visited the local coop and this time I was very disappointed. The chicken was done the usual way but it was such small pieces that I really thought I was eating a canary. My four piece dinner cooked in the original manner along with cold green beans and a biscuit that would have cracked the concrete floor had I dropped it just turned me off. If I could have molded the four pieces of chicken together they would have made one drumstick on one decent sized chicken. If that wasn't bad enough the stupid dinner cost me $20. I call that Chicken $%#t robbery. Since KFC is the only chicken joint in our little town I now either fry my own which is edible at best or go without. Rotisserie chicken at the local Publix Market is good too.
Okay I have a ‘kentucky’ recipe around somewhere unless someone else pops one up. I LoVE fried chicken. Herbs no bread required, skin on, thighs are best. Yum yum

Afternoon All,

Got another inch of rain last night from thunderstorms passing across the peninsula. Started out painting 5 new pieces of fascia and mounting them to the right "wing" of the layout. After some errands I finished up the 5 coal hoppers and placed them on the layout. Tomorrow we need to put Dad's car in the shop for a oil change and alignment. He flies back in on Monday. After that I think I will just run trains for awhile (something different and maybe a mini ops session.

Chet- The club photos look great but that's way too many people around the layout IMO.

Gary- Beautiful scenery.

TomO- I hope you get the issue resolved quickly.

Willie- The flat will give some nice depth to the scene.

Hughie- Gas here is $3.75-3.85. Great photo. Does the RR crossing flash? I know you can't catch that in a photo.

View attachment 149582

The coal load is WS Mine Run Coal
View attachment 149583

I hope everyone has a good night.
Do you fill the whole car with coal or is there a space under the pile?

TomO: I used to be a certified digital forensic analyst and worked on computer/network breaches a few times. I haven't done a forensic investigation in 6 years or so. I let my certification expire after I retired from the PD.

It's certainly possible to do a forensic exam and find evidence of a "hack". Given that your Mac was open for remote connections could certainly make that easier. It's also entirely possible that you weren't hacked, so to speak but that the people you trusted with the login credentials to remotely connect to your system were the ones who were actually hacked and your login credentials were stolen from them. Also possible that the bad guys were in your contractors system and then pivoted to yours from theirs. Lots of things that could have happened here.
Ken, I was going to ask you about this. The Sheriff Deputy called tonight and said it is at least 2 weeks before his people can dig into the computer. He asked a bunch of questions about the contractor as he said he got the same feeling I had when the contractor basically freaked out twice. 1st when I told him I called the County Sheriff and again when the Deputy showed.

I am not sure wasting the SheriffDepartment time is worth finding out exactly what happened, even if they really can. I do appreciate the quick response they gave us. The hacking is based on the Contractor comment that, “you’ve been hacked”. We didn’t get a ransom text or email but the system doesn’t contain any of our personal info. So they couldn’t contact us if they tried!

While I really don’t know if we were hacked or not I do have the gut feeling someone at the Contractors office did something. Either on purpose (doubtful), as an experiment (forgot to go back to the previous setting) or accidentally. We have had quite a few problems with hardware and did again last week. It’s possible something was toggled that should not have been. The kid reinstalling all the programming to the new computer showed me where I can delay the turn on of the back up generator from 5 minutes to 60 minutes after shutdown. He set it at 5 minutes per my request. All our back up generators have been set that way for the last 12 years or so. When he spoke to the service techs at Tesla (for the Powerwalls) they are unaware of any mischief (their words) with individual homeowner installations.

As of 8:30pm we are still on the backup generator. While the system is generating and storing power it is not powering the house or stable. If we are not running tomorrow I need to manually over ride the systems at the wind power source. That is climb 12‘ on the wind generators and throw a switch on each. Since I got home I have turned off the solar panels and the heat pumps, those are at ground level.

It’s a real muck

As I wrote before Terry and I went for a ride. Ended up on the Merrimack Ferry between Okee, Wi. amd Merrimack Wi on the Wisconsin River/
FD91584B-520B-4554-9DA6-9CAF7EA67392.jpeg
Lake Wisconsin. It holds 12 vehicles and the ferry boat captain just lowers the ramps and turns the lights red or green to drive aboard. Cable pulled across the water and it was a free ride.

Yes those are hills in the background of the picture

Good morning all! 68 heading for a humid 89 and sunny. Made it through all the storms yesterday unscathed other than a few limbs down around my property. Had a busy day at work and need to finish up a few thing before moving on to other projects today. I have a new student worker starting today. Seems like a good kid. I knew his dad when he was a little kid but lost touch with him over the years after that. He was killed in a traffic accident a few years ago. The kid seems to have a great attitude and willingness to work so I'm optimistic he's going to work out well.

Ken, I was going to ask you about this. The Sheriff Deputy called tonight and said it is at least 2 weeks before his people can dig into the computer. He asked a bunch of questions about the contractor as he said he got the same feeling I had when the contractor basically freaked out twice. 1st when I told him I called the County Sheriff and again when the Deputy showed.

I am not sure wasting the SheriffDepartment time is worth finding out exactly what happened, even if they really can. I do appreciate the quick response they gave us. The hacking is based on the Contractor comment that, “you’ve been hacked”. We didn’t get a ransom text or email but the system doesn’t contain any of our personal info. So they couldn’t contact us if they tried!
Yea, the contractor's reaction and saying "you've been hacked" just sounds suspicious to me. I would definitely be asking for some proof of your being hacked. My first question for him would be what did he see that made him come to the conclusion your system was hacked?
Glad to hear you've had a good experience with the sheriff's office. It really just depends on where you are as to how capable local law enforcement is with digital investigations. The cost of getting people trained can be staggering, though there are some good quality free trainings available to LE. Standing up a digital forensics lab is not inexpensive either. I wrote grants to obtain the hardware and software so I could start our lab. Sadly, no one was interested in taking over my duties when I retired so the lab died.

Sherrel: My best wishes to you on your health issues. Hoping the docs can get you fixed up without any further problems.

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited:
Good morning gang!

The circus comes to town today. Chevrolet is bringing a new Z06 Corvette and all the hoopla and display paraphernalia that comes with it to the dealership today. I am going to try my best to stay in the back away from all this today. GM's corporate clowns annoy me to no end. I'd rather them build real quality cars for the masses and stop building limited production headaches. If Toyota can do it, so can GM.

BTW, I am getting another S10 tonight. Very straight 2003 2wd extended cab. The 4 cylinder runs great, but will be sporting a V8 soon enough, and will be my "toy".

BBL

Morning from the Office:

Coffee please, Thanks Flo!

Went home with a migraine yesterday, and the wife made me take a C19 test to make sure it wasn't covid. Seems a worker at her place of employment had C19 and the headache was her worst symptom. So she wanted to make sure I didn't have covid.

Karl: Congrats on the new acquisition. I'm looking for a 1st Gen S10 myself. Not fond of the 2nd gens as they feel smaller than the first. I should have never traded my '93, although I do like the 1st Gen Colorado's. I've owned 2... 🤣

Sherrel: Hope all goes well with your upcoming surgery.

Couple of pictures from the workspace the other day:

Fillers to raise the crossings above the tie plates.

20220731_131701.jpg

Testing on the work bench:

20220731_131629.jpg

I've changed the width on the final one to 1/2" instead as that seem to be where the re-railer crossings seem to be. I only have one re-rail section on the whole layout. It didn't help that my used material wasn't cut squarely.

Morning from the Office:

Coffee please, Thanks Flo!

Went home with a migraine yesterday, and the wife made me take a C19 test to make sure it wasn't covid. Seems a worker at her place of employment had C19 and the headache was her worst symptom. So she wanted to make sure I didn't have covid.

Karl: Congrats on the new acquisition. I'm looking for a 1st Gen S10 myself. Not fond of the 2nd gens as they feel smaller than the first. I should have never traded my '93, although I do like the 1st Gen Colorado's. I've owned 2... 🤣

Sherrel: Hope all goes well with your upcoming surgery.

Couple of pictures from the workspace the other day:

Fillers to raise the crossings above the tie plates.

View attachment 149610

Testing on the work bench:

View attachment 149611

I've changed the width on the final one to 1/2" instead as that seem to be where the re-railer crossings seem to be. I only have one re-rail section on the whole layout. It didn't help that my used material wasn't cut squarely.

Nice with the crossing fillers, I never considered that method for my home made crossings.

Good morning all, 70° and sunny, headed for only 74? Strange weather we are having.

Not much excitement around here, had our first Zucchini from our garden last night, fried in a little butter with some cherry tomato and black pepper. Mmmmmm Gooood

Went through totes and picked out a couple more box cars for the layout. Looks like I have several that should go on ebay, will save that project for winter, I think. It looks like I did some weathering on one of them, I don't think these have ever operated on a layout:

IMG_2462.JPG

These were not in a box but wrapped in bubble wrap.

more later, Dave LASM

Good humid morning from the south deck in So, central Wisconsin. The WeatherChannel app and Terry’s weather spokesperson on TV have been hyping since Saturday how hot in the mid 90’s today was to be. The app this morning says 84 for the high but super storms at noon.
A9E6C4F2-F153-4C4B-BF93-518A1D52995F.png

The power is back and operating as normal for the house. Seems Jason the tech went home sometime after 7 and caught his partner in a compromised situation and came back here to work. Around 11 he informed us the back up generator turned itself off and the house was operating off the batteries as it should. So around 11:30 last night spotlight in hand I turned on the heat pumps and the solar panel connections ready for today. The stable is still on its backup generator but he will fix that this morning. Terry made him stay in the guest room last night as little Miss Rescue seems now to have adopted a human project instead of a horse. He did talk to Terry for awhile last night and she says he has a idea what happened. He will talk to me this morning but he is still sleeping.

There is nothing on my agenda today. Terry has more medical stuff tomorrow that I will tag along for, so until then nothing. Unfortunately after Mondays tests it maybe my turn to be taking care of her for a while. They scheduled those yesterday. As we drove off the ferry her phone rang and they scheduled the tests then. Yesterday was a really stressful day around here.

enjoy the day

Not sure what muscle relaxers are going to do for internal spinal cord pressures. As I said, most of the problems are from the spinal stenosis which is an inflammation of the sheath that encloses the spinal nerve and the 3 bone spurs which are stabbing into the spinal nerve.
Gonna be another hot one today. Left the windows open last night as the temps went down to low 70s. Captures the cool air. Will button things up this afternoon and turn on the A/C till about 9pm.
Since I'll be home the rest of August, I guess I'll plan another op session for the club. I'll poll them first to see what Saturday would be best. No shows to set up for until October so I'm sure some of the guys are starving to run their trains.

Good Morning All. Clear and 84°, a bit warm for this early. A bit cooler yesterday at just 101°, expecting 103° later today. We are not on pace with our record setting summers of 2011 and 1980, yet. So far this year we have had 46 days of triple digits. In 1980 there were 69 days and in 2011 there were 71 days.

The follow up visit to the cardiologist yesterday was uneventful. He was pleased with his work! He removed one more medication from my daily routine, a diuretic. Happy for that as it didn't seem to be doing me much good anymore, except to pee a lot. He had reduced the same one about a month ago. He did direct me to drink about another quart of water a day on top of the 100+ ozs that I normally drink.
Stopped by the local Target store on the way home for a few items, there was quite a bit of sweet eye candy there.
Got home too late to preserve any tomato sauce, but I did pick more tomatoes earlier. Total yield is now finally going down. Plants are however overhanging their cages and dipping back to the ground; thus making it difficult to walk through the rows. I should prune some of them back, but it is just too damn hot by the time I do other essential things outdoors.

Thanks to all who liked or commented about my latest minor progress; Chad, Karl, Patrick, Sherrel, Jeff, Hughie, Chet, Dave B, James, Tom O, Curt, Louis, Gary, Tom, OB Ken, Jaz.

I did get some stuff done yesterday out in the train shed. Painted the DPM background structure.
IMG_1415.JPG

That was the easy part. Next I'll add the mortar wash, and other weathering.
Meanwhile I also ballasted about 24" of the spur.
IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

I'll move to the left and finish up to the turnout today. I might commence with ground cover if I have time after making the delayed tomato sauce.

Gary - I am still enjoying your travelogue. You're opening my eyes to a part of the continent that I haven't seen before and may not see any time soon. Thanks.
Patrick - Fortunately the only political dribble that I get comes from Beto O'Rourke, who is now running for governor, after his failed campaigns for Senator and President. It is because the previous owner of my cell number was an ardent Democrat donor.
Tom O - Something is indeed fishy about your electric control system. Hope that you can get it figured out and straightened out. Good luck. Interesting that the Sheriff is taking such an active interest.
Sherrel - Prayers and best wishes to you regarding the aneurysm.
Ken (D&J) - Bad deal about having to cancel the trip. Smart thinking though. Take care of yourself.

Everybody have a great day.

Greetings all, still lurking about.

Not much train work of significance done lately. Progress, but unimpressive stuff.

I have been putting serious thought into TO switches and controllers. Trying to decide between Cobalt DigitalIP, Walthers LCS, Blue point, or maybe even the former Tam Valley Depot products now offered by Quad_LNS. Tough to evaluate in terms of comparative costs and ease of installation/operation.

Flying with wifeykins to WIchita, KS Friday morning, returning Monday morning for a seminar. We have Sat. night free so if anyone as a recommendation for a nice meal there . . . We will be on the NE side of the city in Bel Aire?

Hope to install the last piece of fascia today as I got the inside edge painted the other evening. Then maybe some accessory elelctrical work.

Have a blessed day all! - - - Steve J

Greetings all, still lurking about.

Not much train work of significance done lately. Progress, but unimpressive stuff.

I have been putting serious thought into TO switches and controllers. Trying to decide between Cobalt DigitalIP, Walthers LCS, Blue point, or maybe even the former Tam Valley Depot products now offered by Quad_LNS. Tough to evaluate in terms of comparative costs and ease of installation/operation.

Flying with wifeykins to WIchita, KS Friday morning, returning Monday morning for a seminar. We have Sat. night free so if anyone as a recommendation for a nice meal there . . . We will be on the NE side of the city in Bel Aire?

Hope to install the last piece of fascia today as I got the inside edge painted the other evening. Then maybe some accessory elelctrical work.

Have a blessed day all! - - - Steve J

Steve: Several good places near there, most off of Rock Road or Greenwich. Stroud's on North Hillside, south of 37th, used to be really good. Wife and I don't eat out as much (we do get takeout) since Covid hit, so we haven't been there in a couple of years. Depends on what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back