Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still cannot find out why it gets stuck?
I just assume it's the left end bracket, but since I know how to fix it now (thx again) it's no biggie. I'll go practice it in a political forum somewhere. Or at Youtube, (where I'm spending way too much time lately).

Watching YT vids like the one about Brooman's UB (as posted above) causes a lot of background audio static if I start one from a thread like this, so I go over there directly to start vids. PC configuration issue, and restarting Firefox, then the vid from history always fixes the problem, and that takes only a few keystrokes. Easy enough.

I think I clicked a phishing link last November, and before I could say "Oh no" I'm sure this box was infected down deep. Haven't started Windows even once since. Had the emergency Linux stick at hand, so it was easy enough to get back up and running. But not entirely.

When I restart Windows, and if I do it with this disk still in place, I expect either a BSOD, or one of those nice messages: "Greetings. Send $1000 in Bitcoin to this email address within the next forty-eight hours and we will send you a decryption key for all your files. Otherwise you are SOL...".

Or there is a deeply buried key-logger...or both. The possibility of a deep keylogger worries me because the "good" ones can capture even your Windows logon password, thus compromising any online banking you might use. So I closed out all those accounts, and do all my banking at the ATM or in person now.

"Meh" isn't nearly enough a bad word to describe those problems--don't let this happen to you. And have a rescue stick or CD at the ready...just in case.

BUT WAIT! Sen Harry Reid said that taxes are voluntary? LOL :eek:
Those are voluntary like the Covid lockdowns in Shanghai were voluntary. Voluntary over there like prison is voluntary. Soon to be voluntary here at the point of a gun.
Armed IRS agents who are "willing to use deadly force" are already a crime against humanity, and I don't know if they are out there yet here or not.
I hope not to find out personally.

Peace out.

I don't know just how common this is, but I imagine it would be an eye opener.
It seems to be quite common among many of my peers, neighbors and other acquaintances of my age bracket. Why? Because they did it a lot when younger and failed to save and now get very little Social Security. One next door neighbor who is 76, only draws $1100/month and saved very little during his years of working. Between groceries, gas, utilities and medical expenses, that $1100 is not even enough. But he has an electrician's license and pays his son (off the books of course) to do the manual labor.
Many of these folks thought that SS was a consistent handout to everyone without realizing until it was too late to make a meaningful change. That realization usually came in their mid-50's when the SSA begins sending you those benefits summaries. My best man draws less than $600/mo, but he is fortunate to have started saving a little during his later years, plus his wife was a 45 year employee of ATT, with both a 401K and a pretty good SS payment each month.

Taxs are voluntary? I would suppose when an agent shows up to shake ya down for not reporting your child's lemonade stand income of $13 you could just voluntarily pay the tax, fines, penalties and administrative costs to avoid voluntarily getting shot. Tax would have been $1.97 but the other stuff adds up to 10s of thousands.

(This was a response to Boris' reply earlier on homelessness and "lack of workers. Somehow reply did not show up)

I know there are other issues, however I believe some of these are symptoms of a broken economic system.

Mental health counseling on the scale apparently necessary is unimaginable.

It took me 4 months to get into therapy, and it cost me $525 for a referral and evaluation of which insurance covered less than $40. Subsequent visits are $175, insurance covers $15. That is because I work and earn over $12,000 per year. My employer Employee Assistance Program was unable to provide any counseling.

Developing a positive work ethic can and will fill the need that is currently filled with drug use and distribution.

However, the rewards, or remuneration offered by capitalism in this day and age is soooo out of whack that many come out far ahead financially by doing nothing, plus they are not getting dumped on by co workers.

The current incentive is to not work, for many.

In my opinion.

Dave LASM

Employment: Ya, right. As y'all know we have been all over the USofA and have stopped in many restaurants, bars and shopping locations. Almost everywhere there is a shortage of help. S.Dakota is not one of them as fast as we can tell. Governor keeping them working may have had something to do with this. Ifn I remember correctly she also did not allow the continued .gov handouts either. Montana stopped them after about 9 months of it. Don't know how many other states did the same. Anyway, talking with people that we meet; yes, some not truckers, most say they have no idea of what their neighbors, family members and friends are doing to keep afloat. They know they are not going to work on a daily basis and are pretty sure they are not independently wealthy. Guess that they could be helping somebody out under the table, but that always comes to an end sooner or later and pretty much hit or miss on the work day count. So it is back to no clue. Pretty sure UA is pretty much done in all of the smart states now, probably still handouts in others.
One of the thing we never seem to figure out is the bitching some of OUR company employees do. Ya know "How am I supposed to live on 100K per year". What? When I owned my own business I delt with technician types that wanted 40K with no experience ( early 90's ), so down the street they would go.

Geesh got unloaded fast, maybe mo later...got to work!

As always, I decided to build a big (for me !) figure 8 layout using Hornby and Peco track. As usual, all your advices comments and criticisms will be greatly appreciated !

99971.jpg

I was not aware? Are yiu moving?
When we purchased the house back from the daughter we decided to list the house. That was March 2022. We have had a few lookers but it’s a big piece of property. It’s 10 acres with a 4800 sq. ft. house on multiple levels , 90% buried in a hill with a crazy long enclosed swimming pool and except for Internet, off grid. It needs a special buyer. Now that the real estate market has slacken a bit we have got more lookers but no offers worth even countering and have just said no. Other then the 1st looker who offered, this is only the 2nd offer the realtor was enthused about. We spent an hour with the realtor this morning. Then Terry and I went to the Farmers Market. Then met up with the realtor at breakfast (she paid) about the counter offer we had decided on. The realtor will put it together and email it for our final approval and electronic signatures and send it off. They wanted another 10 acres which I had planned for with our surveyor. I want a 10 year hold on developing the additional 10 acres which will help protect the development land I am working on.

We have a place to stay. Our old and empty property management offices that is the address we have always used for anything personal or business mail, packages and door knocking nut jobs is where we will stay. 401 Geneva Way have been our offices since 2014 and was originally a college rental duplex since we built it in 2007.

We will build again and I keep telling Terry this is the last build. We will build small stable if Terry can sell her stable business and move just 4 of her 6 horses. I have been weekly it seems for 2 months working with the surveyor to align everything up for selling and protecting the property the daughter has and what we will keep. Protecting 2—300+ acre developments has been secondary to family but the developers around here know if they buy from me someone else cannot buy say 10 acres and put in apartments that would hurt their projects.

I would like to move into a condo building but there is no way Terry will give up her walking access to the horses. So guess who wins that discussion…

It seems to be quite common among many of my peers, neighbors and other acquaintances of my age bracket. Why? Because they did it a lot when younger and failed to save and now get very little Social Security. One next door neighbor who is 76, only draws $1100/month and saved very little during his years of working. Between groceries, gas, utilities and medical expenses, that $1100 is not even enough. But he has an electrician's license and pays his son (off the books of course) to do the manual labor.
Many of these folks thought that SS was a consistent handout to everyone without realizing until it was too late to make a meaningful change. That realization usually came in their mid-50's when the SSA begins sending you those benefits summaries. My best man draws less than $600/mo, but he is fortunate to have started saving a little during his later years, plus his wife was a 45 year employee of ATT, with both a 401K and a pretty good SS payment each month.
I have a recently minted new neighbor/friend who is 55 years old and works for the University. He is a tenured and so proud Professor of Economics, remember last weeks discussions. We were on the patio after dinner one night this summer with 3 other couples and he innocently asked how I could afford this place on Social Security. One friend, the good coach told him that’s not a question you ask people. I just as calmly replied though even with Terry’s SS we can’t! Well how then? So Innocent, so f..king sure of himself because he is a professor, such a naive ass! Terry made it simple for him to understand, we worked and we saved! Much later he said “well if you can’t live on your SS what do you do with it? Terry said well mine is more then Tom’s, I buy feed for the horses, Tom buys model trains! He has not asked anything since that night.

Re: Harry Reid saying taxes are voluntary... if I've found the source video it's not as simple as the quote makes it sound... he went into the lion's den and the interviewer decided to back him into a corner and keep repeating the simplistic over and over, never engaging Sen Reid on the nuances that Reid was attempting to get out.

Like any other political discussion, there is a ton of nuance that needs to be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back