Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. A warm smokey day out today. The smoke is so thick you could cut it with a knife. All coning up fron the California and other western wild fires.

Have been catching up on some chores that were neglected. Finall had to break down and get a new radiator for my pickup. Been nursing it on for a while but it has a problem that got worse. The nipple where the top hose goes into the radiator was repaired a number of times but being that it's 49 years old it was time for it to be replaced.

Did go out for our Tuesday lunch at Sidewinders, a veteran owned mini chain and they had also reserved a table for those servicemen that lost their life in Afghanistan the night that it happened.

View attachment 131814

Have to run, just got a phone call.

Later

Chet,

A awesome loud picture! Thanks for posting it.

I also saw that every Texas Roadhouse in the USA has been setting out 13 beers at a reserved table. It‘s too bad that it took another 13 deaths there to wake up our country. We should have been out the day after they got bin Laden. What a waste of so many precious loved ones.

TomO

Afternoon All,

Started out the day driving out by UCF (45 minute drive) to renew and upgrade my retired military ID. It looks more like a electronic swipe card than the traditional military ID now. One of the changes was removing the typed SSN from the card. After getting home I moved some boxes of fabric to under the layout. Not only do we have to clean out Dad's house, we have to empty the grandson's room so the sewing room can be moved into that room. Then move Dad into the old sewing room (on first floor). Of course during all of this the bathroom tub has to be modified to a walk in shower. And let's not forget cleaning up the garage for more storage space. Head spinning yet? Of course no help from my 2 brothers. Needless to say I probably won't be doing much modeling until everything is over (end of October). I'll keep in touch as much as I can.

Willie- Nice job on the station and interesting story.

TomO- Nice layout scene.

Steve- Congrats on finishing the yard ladder.

Chad- That sounds like a huge amount of work.

Jaz- Nice job on the cows.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, no modeling because you are helping dad out is a wonderful excuse. Best to your dad!

TomO

Afternoon All,

Started out the day driving out by UCF (45 minute drive) to renew and upgrade my retired military ID. It looks more like a electronic swipe card than the traditional military ID now. One of the changes was removing the typed SSN from the card. After getting home I moved some boxes of fabric to under the layout. Not only do we have to clean out Dad's house, we have to empty the grandson's room so the sewing room can be moved into that room. Then move Dad into the old sewing room (on first floor). Of course during all of this the bathroom tub has to be modified to a walk in shower. And let's not forget cleaning up the garage for more storage space. Head spinning yet? Of course no help from my 2 brothers. Needless to say I probably won't be doing much modeling until everything is over (end of October). I'll keep in touch as much as I can.

Willie- Nice job on the station and interesting story.

TomO- Nice layout scene.

Steve- Congrats on finishing the yard ladder.

Chad- That sounds like a huge amount of work.

Jaz- Nice job on the cows.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Moo

Very nice Jaz A

TomO

< SIGH >

Well, it's done. The entire yard is wired up and I can run trains throughout the yard ladder. Had to 'clean' up a few spots and still a few more to do. But ops have begun.

I am weird, I suppose, I thought there might be a bigger sense of accomplishment. Now I am wondering where next to go? All in all, I admit, it was a lot of work, and much of it well done. New skills and thinking through the troubleshooting was great. I tip my hat to those of you who contributed with ideas, teaching, and encouragement.

So to do the wiring, I used a combination of IDC (3M 905s), one set of tee-tap IDCs, and WAGO connectors. That made the wiring of the feeders to the buss very quick and easy! Highly recommended!

Wife and I will go away for the long weekend, and I think I will try hard not to think on trains or the layout. Come back freshened.

Next steps? (1) I think at least one of the yard structures: the coaling tower. I will try to blend the programming track into the backside of it for a 'fill' track - so I can simulate a loading op with a hopper or two.

2) I will have to do something with the turnout automation pretty soon. My 0-6-0 (two) do not like those dead frogs. Unless I come in with pretty good speed, no doubt unrealistic for a switching yard, they will hesitate or stop and need a little nudge. But that's going to be expensive.

3) Still not final on the main loops design.

So maybe just play for a week or three and see where the mind goes. Work out all the kinks in the yard before ballasting. ----- Steve J

Steve J.

enjoy the time away to recharge. Running trains for month or so before ballasting is what I did. You are going to make changes, so run it awhile.

TomO

Gary - I wasn't aware that the Halifax PD was so versatile.
Halifax robbery suspect
Willie - There are a-lot of ways to catch a robbery suspect, including using the:
NewfieCanoeWay.jpg

🤣

Today I was late getting up to the job site. Pooped from yesterdya. But my son and I got a bunch of the ICF bundles moved, and I got a few more moved tonight by myself. Also, 2 large, 2 piece (so 4 pieces altogether) glass shower doors were delivered by freight to my existing house (for the new one). This evening I got my neighbor with his truck to help me get them over to our storage facility about 4 miles away.

Also, it started raining (just ended up a light sprinkle but who knew how it was going to turn out), and I had a whole bunch of cardboard boxes full of various brackets, clips, etc (probably 400-500 pounds worth in the end), plus like 6 heavy bags of "acrylic parge mix" and other things that were dumped with the ICF blocks yesterday that I did not want out in the rain. So it took me close to an hour to get my car loaded with it all, drive the 1.1 miles to my house, unload it all into my garage, and then later with the doors, the parge mix got brought to the storage facility. So I was busy the whole day, even though I got started late. Tonight earlier to bed so I can get a good start on the morning of my last day off. Hoping to get the actual wall started.

We still have about 50+ bundles of foam blocks or foam floor insulation sheets left to move but I am going to use our neighborhood facebook groups (there are 2) to see if I can get a half dozen guys tomorrow evening to help me get it all moved down into the hole and placed where needed. What has taken me and my son, or me alone, a day and a half to do, another 6 guys could get done in hour... I'll provide the pizza and soft drinks :). We'll see as it is a bit late to be asking...

No pics today as I forgot to take some due to needing to get my daughter from school and leaving the site late. And then tonight it got dark before I could take some (some neighbors stopped by to see the progress and ask questions -- most have never heard of or seen ICF construction so they have lots of questions).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back