Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works very similarly to how it used to work. Just hit "reply", then highlight the parts you don't want, and hit "delete"
The difference is that if you wish to message before the quote, you must cursor the message and hit enter to lower the quote. Before, you cursored the entire quote box to lower it for the message room.
Similar; but took a trial to figure it out.

Hello everyone. I am still amongst the living. The ICF blocks showed up this morning on schedule. I have 3 days off from the day job to get started and then I'll work a few hours a day on the ICF until the first (basement) floor is done. Then take a few more days off to get the second floor started etc.

I had 4 neighborhood guys plus my son and I to offload the 53' trailer. The whole thing was full of our stuff. Took like an hour and a half or something to totally get done.

Then my son and I, and sometimes just me when he had to go for work, started moving it down into the hole. More tomorrow...

IMG_4917.jpegIMG_4921.jpeg

Morning all,

Partly cloudy and 70° this morning looking for a high of 94° and heat index of 100°.

Got a new IT Tech starting next week. I'm looking forward to more help as my "new" boss has been busy learning his new job and trying to keep up with some of his old duties. Yes I do more than just play with the network and servers, I have even been known to fix computer issues "in the field" so to speak. I gotta get out sometimes...lol

Chad: Are you putting the icf blocks up or is a contractor? (or are you the contractor?)

Good Morning All. Clear and 75°, heading into the upper 90's today. Same thing for the next ten days with no rain in sight.
Thanks to all for the best wishes extended to my wife for the cataract surgery today.

Just a couple of ham & cheese biscuits today Flo. Light day!

Thanks for the likes regarding yesterday's progress pictures; Patrick, Christian, Karl, Tom O, Sherrel, Rick, Justin, Guy, Gary, Hughie, Tom, Chad.

Out in the train shed yesterday, slow progress continued.
I started with this.
IMG_7448 (2)_LI.jpg

After cutting, gluing and painting, I have this.
IMG_7477.JPG

Didn't think of it when I made it, but now looking at the picture, I will bevel the entry a bit.
I also painted many other red and gray parts.
IMG_7479.JPG

The vehicle in the background will be on the raised lift. It was among a large batch of vehicles that I bought from a fellow member several years ago.
IMG_7478.JPG

It came with that broken windshield. I can use it on the lift raised partially up since the windshield will not be visible in the finished scene.

Sherrel -
You all lead such varied and exciting lives! Everyone is getting things done while I seem to go in circles
Aren't most Kalifornians already going in circles?
Guy - I echo your sentiments on anti-vaxxers.
That's good advice regarding mixing paint.
Chad - Good luck with the layout, er, new home!

Short and sweet post today, as we have to get ready for the surgery. See you later.
Everybody have a great day.

A good crisp morning hello from So. Central Wi. where out on the south deck it is 66f degrees, very cloudy but still seems bright. The birds are chirping and yesterday we had a nice dinner and celebration of the granddaughter’s 10th birthday. Today will be the coolest day in over a month with a high of 75. Maybe a good travel day just to get away from the homestead.

Willie, again best to the wife, she will love her eyesight again. Had both mine done in 2015 and it truly was life changing for me

chad, lots of work you will be putting in, definitely will help the house heating bills

Patrick, new help, good for you in about 3 months

Terry, every time I read your tag line I have a chuckle

trains, the retail therapy 3 day event is over. Track, items for track building, roadbed are really in short supply. I have what I need for 120‘ of mainline as everything I ordered has been shipped and it is now in the good hands of the USPS. On the way home from dinner I made a quick stop at Michael’s for more wire for whenever I need to make more wire tree armatures. They are out and the sign on the rack says to check the Michaels website and order from there as they have no idea when the store will be re-stocked. I will wait for another retail therapy event to order wire. Now the fun part of anticipation kicks in.

Enjoy your day, hug a Military service person
TomO

FDB4AD81-B4E0-400D-AD3C-4700BDE55B58.jpeg

< SIGH >

Well, it's done. The entire yard is wired up and I can run trains throughout the yard ladder. Had to 'clean' up a few spots and still a few more to do. But ops have begun.

I am weird, I suppose, I thought there might be a bigger sense of accomplishment. Now I am wondering where next to go? All in all, I admit, it was a lot of work, and much of it well done. New skills and thinking through the troubleshooting was great. I tip my hat to those of you who contributed with ideas, teaching, and encouragement.

So to do the wiring, I used a combination of IDC (3M 905s), one set of tee-tap IDCs, and WAGO connectors. That made the wiring of the feeders to the buss very quick and easy! Highly recommended!

Wife and I will go away for the long weekend, and I think I will try hard not to think on trains or the layout. Come back freshened.

Next steps? (1) I think at least one of the yard structures: the coaling tower. I will try to blend the programming track into the backside of it for a 'fill' track - so I can simulate a loading op with a hopper or two.

2) I will have to do something with the turnout automation pretty soon. My 0-6-0 (two) do not like those dead frogs. Unless I come in with pretty good speed, no doubt unrealistic for a switching yard, they will hesitate or stop and need a little nudge. But that's going to be expensive.

3) Still not final on the main loops design.

So maybe just play for a week or three and see where the mind goes. Work out all the kinks in the yard before ballasting. ----- Steve J

Chad: Are you putting the icf blocks up or is a contractor? (or are you the contractor?)

My son and I are putting them up. (I had another guy, the siding guy, but who had done this many times, who was going to help, but he's been busy with some large jobs and I have not been able to talk with him recently). I guess you could say I am the contractor, as I am also arranging a bunch of the other bits, but I am working with an established contractor who is "running the project" and covering those bits I don't do. The contractor (and his family -- family business) I am working with is a long time family friend from my parents' neighborhood.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day driving out by UCF (45 minute drive) to renew and upgrade my retired military ID. It looks more like a electronic swipe card than the traditional military ID now. One of the changes was removing the typed SSN from the card. After getting home I moved some boxes of fabric to under the layout. Not only do we have to clean out Dad's house, we have to empty the grandson's room so the sewing room can be moved into that room. Then move Dad into the old sewing room (on first floor). Of course during all of this the bathroom tub has to be modified to a walk in shower. And let's not forget cleaning up the garage for more storage space. Head spinning yet? Of course no help from my 2 brothers. Needless to say I probably won't be doing much modeling until everything is over (end of October). I'll keep in touch as much as I can.

Willie- Nice job on the station and interesting story.

TomO- Nice layout scene.

Steve- Congrats on finishing the yard ladder.

Chad- That sounds like a huge amount of work.

Jaz- Nice job on the cows.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. A warm smokey day out today. The smoke is so thick you could cut it with a knife. All coning up fron the California and other western wild fires.

Have been catching up on some chores that were neglected. Finall had to break down and get a new radiator for my pickup. Been nursing it on for a while but it has a problem that got worse. The nipple where the top hose goes into the radiator was repaired a number of times but being that it's 49 years old it was time for it to be replaced.

Did go out for our Tuesday lunch at Sidewinders, a veteran owned mini chain and they had also reserved a table for those servicemen that lost their life in Afghanistan the night that it happened.

thumbnail_20210831_114500.jpg

Have to run, just got a phone call.

Later

Good Evening all! I'm having some trouble getting mypost in as my computer just updated to Windows 11.. It is very slow to react to key strokes. Hopefully it gets better.
I completed the Yard Cafe, a Blair Line structure and installed it on the layout. Because of the details , stools and venetian blinds I had to light this building.
Yard Cafe 2.jpg
Yard Cafe 3.jpg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good afternoon. Back from a 5 hour tour of Greg’s part of Wisconsin. Village of Pewaukee and Lake Pewaukee was the goal. We went there last Autumn but because of Covid it was a drive through then. Today it was a stop, walk, visit shops and gaze at the Lake. Got 2 CP trains on camera though on the edge of the lake front.

Made a wrong turn and ended up in Historic downtown Waukesha and did lunch there at People’s Park and had a very good hamburger and fries. Walked around the area and many streets but many empty storefronts.

But 1st we stopped at Hiawatha Hobbies in Pewaukee and I got my last needed transfer caboose. Greg, what a mess. I walked in and unopened box after box in basically every aisle. I look where they used to keep the Bluford caboose but I finally asked for help. The guy said good question. We both search, finally asked the owner and he laughed and said try an end cap of an aisle. Nope, but I did find the Fox Valley Models Milwaukee Road transfer caboose and purchased that for $10 more then the unfound Bluford. The owner, Glenn, said the last 5 days they have received shipments that in some cases are 3 months past due arriving. No time to open them and little help. He needs a big time sale as lots of stuff not even entered onto the computer.

TomO

CP westbound in the Village of Pewaukee
25C59180-70A0-417F-93F1-D67686B992FE.jpeg

CP eastbound in the Village of Pewaukee
A9E39315-3B33-4DBF-B506-6543225EE783.jpeg

me and a Les Paul guitar in Waukesha the home of Les Paul

617AC4BB-D93C-4925-AF32-1D9280ED580F.jpeg

end

Last edited:
Good Evening all! I'm having some trouble getting mypost in as my computer just updated to Windows 11.. It is very slow to react to key strokes. Hopefully it gets better.
I completed the Yard Cafe, a Blair Line structure and installed it on the layout. Because of the details , stools and venetian blinds I had to light this building. View attachment 131817View attachment 131818

STAY SAFE

LATER

hughie,

a nicely done scene. I remember a few roadside stops that looked like that.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back