Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning global modelers. Itā€™s a nice morning on the wet south deck of the Wisconsin homestead. It rained between 4 and 5 this morning but you could hear the thunder rolling in from about 2:30am. Yeah, I was awake for almost 2 hours listening and that is why I have only been awake since 8:25. Today is supposed to be the most dreaded day of the week weather wise. Dew points in the 70ā€™s, the humidity in the high 80ā€™s and the temperature in the low 90ā€™s. Another great day for modeling except I am back to being antsy from being cooped up this weather because of high humidities, dew points and temperature.

The girls just left for a long ride on the monsters the wife calls horses. They should be back around 2pm or 5 hours from now. They will meet up with the 2 grandkids, the daughter, the SIL, 4 neighbor friends of the daughter and their 6 kids. They are heading to the far side of the property and a water filled in quarry and picnic area the SIL created a couple years ago. There is a nice 4 acre shaded paddock for the horses. They are taking the long route, the fence line trail because 3/4 of the ride will be under the trees. I will deliver lunch to them when they call. I donā€™t mind the daily ride of 1-2 hours but thatā€™s about it. Even as a kid mom and dad would take the 3 of us once a month to the stables in southwest Cook County outside of Chicago and we rode the forest preserve trails, they loved it, me and the little brother not so much.

political events, we donā€™t or try not to talk politics at home anymore. I would get too round up. Itā€™s also why I donā€™t do much TV anymore. But, I still read the news. The thing that bothers me I deleted the following

Thatā€™s a question not to be debated here but in your head. Like forest fires, only you can change them or as Smoky used to say, ā€œonly you can prevent forest firesā€. But that is politically incorrect now.

Trains, I have to test the track I have cleaned and hook up a couple wires to a switch so I can run DCC or DC next weekend. I did lay the last 12ā€˜ feet of Central Valley tie strips I have in a siding area where the next Paper Mill is going. I doubt I will be adding any track unless the tie strips arrive by Wednesday.

I have decided after 2 years + of a design for the BioMas plant in the Paper Mill. Pictured are my stand in and what I will be building in September.
4FBF502B-992E-49C6-9852-598E01A5A2A1.jpeg

Enjoy your day
TomO
D9C40548-0436-435D-8513-F72770E7CDBC.jpeg

Back among the living; cannot believe that I fell right back into a deep sleep?
I think that has only happened a very few times that I can recall.
I've got to get moving - need to replace a couple panel trim strips (5/8x 3/16) that have come loose in the RV - caused by too much pressure with the nail gun when constructed ... less than 1/16 remaining material in in the trim stick where the brad nails went too deep.
An oil change for the generator is due also - there is not an oil filter on the generator so it is a relative easy task other than getting down:: on the ground to pull and replace the drain.

Willie - love the random planks on the porch and the chain link fence on the dog yard. Little details like that really stand out.

Christian - Don't worry about the "league". Just almost everyone here who shows pic of their layout is above my doing. As TOM said - A little at a time ... Never be ashamed of your attempts, no matter how small! The enjoyment is what we strive for - after all: Model Railroading is Fun!

I'm outta here - John Wayne said, We're burning daylight!
In my case I said, We're burning up the morning coolness!

The morning coolness has disappeared here in So. Central Wisconsin. 81f degrees the wind is at 1mph and the sun is pretty strong. Already an indoor day for me.

Christian, never feel beneath anyoneā€™s modeling skills. Are some more talented then others sure but that not what this is about. Itā€™s about having fun and learning. Donā€™t overthink it, jump in.

guy, great pictures that always tell us something. Enjoy the party

Sherrel, glad the later sleep got you going again for the day

Tom, great advice for the novice or the experienced modeler

Justin, great pickup for you

Willie, great pictures, you create such nice intimate scenes that just make great sense to me

locomotive pricing, we all know this is not an inexpensive hobby, what one really is? But, I have been waiting for Athearn Genesis to offer the newer MP15ACā€™s. After seeing the non-sound pricing of $239 and coming in another year, I think I will pull the trigger on the older offerings of the Genesis. I can get them non sound for $98 to $119 at PWRS.ca. Yes, they will need led lightning upgrades and a sound decoder (new offerings too) but I have seen them and they have good detailing. No matter if I had waited for the newer ones they all need to be stripped down and painted in my free lance scheme.

track and track supplies, my LHS this morning said my tie strips wonā€™t ship this month and hopefully now in the 4th quarter. He is out of ME rail in codes 70 and 83 and someone yesterday purchased all his ME flex track. He also has no wooden ties. So, I called the shop by Greg and asked if they had ME rail only and they will ship me the code 83 to me. I am waiting for an acknowledgement of my wood tie and PC tie orders placed elsewhere. Looks like some hand laying of track is in my future. Model railroad is fun! When itā€™s not frustrating.

Enjoy the day
TomO

these guys are hungry today

C7B8989B-44B8-42CD-BB08-0D5FFA1E2250.jpeg

Good morning. Had coffee so I won't be at the Coffee Shop as I am waiting for people to trim the hedges around the house.

I want to say thanks to those who commented on my separation. We are still extremely friendly and have no grudges or such. It's just a matter of where she wants to live. As I mentioned, I am not really up to the Florida climate. I will be in the same area if not on the same property with my son and his family. My wife has offered to help them with their down payment for their home or property. She is always welcome to visit.

I have another person from Sacramento, CA that is interested in my layout. He has turned his 3 car garage into a train room and needs everything and is in shock at the retail prices. He does have family that lives in the area. (Another California transplant). We'll see how this works. I was sort of pissed off when the other guy backed out at the past minute as I have turned down selling off parts of the layout,

Greg - Those mice can make a mess with the wiring on a vehicle. I had a mouse eat the lead to the air intake temperature sensor three times. Had to replace it twice because there wasn't enough wire left to splice into. Auto makers in their effort to be GREEN started using plant based material for wire insulation. Sort of like a delicatessen for mice. I finally wrapped the lead and the part of the wife loom with aluminum foil and got peppermint oil to spray in the area. Mice don't like it. Too bad there was trouble with a new car.

Steve - I picked up a few pieces of ME flex track and was able to clean it up just fine with a Bright Boy.

Sherrel - Sorry to hear about your MIL. My wife's cousin went through this with her aunt. They built a MIL suite for her but there were times when she got out and was found wandering on the streets. A sorry situation.

Willie - Like the photo. I will have to put a fence in wherever we move to so the new pup can't get out. Molly, the one who Ginger had helped her know where the property line was before she passed away did a good job. We can just let her out and she'll roam the property butwill not leave it. The new pup hasn't learned that yet. This is her first experience in a home atmosphere and a big learning process.

While I was here in the confuser room, the guys got the hedges trimmed and are gone. Love the colors they go to in the fall, yellow through a bright orange to a red.
thumbnail_20210828_094105.jpg
thumbnail_20210828_094021.jpg

Have a few chores to catch up on so I will say adios for now.

A few rough spots to clean up, and the Micro Engineering weathered track does take a bit to clean. I am using 320 grit sand paper to get the initial weathering off. Then I'll go over with a Bright Boy. Has anyone ever used a felt pad in a Dremel tool? Does that work at all?

I'm not totally familiar with ME weathered track, but using sand paper on DCC track like Willie suggested is harmful to the surface of the track and leaves small and micro scratches that capture dirt and the black stuff that builds up on wheels.

Use the lacquer thinner or try mineral spirits first and then a Bright Boy in the areas that the paint didn't come off. I would follow up with a clean cloth to do a final cleaning.

If all fails, try contacting ME for advise on track cleaning.

Greg

Last edited:
Christian, scenery is not scary, there is any number of successful ways to go, and you can correct or dull down, so mistakes can be addressed, flat earth syndrome on a large layout does not apply to small layouts so that is not an issue either, you can even look at magazines for backgrounds if you just like greenery, here are some of my mistakes, and successes, hopefully they might help you jump in
8F56FB7D-6587-497D-B393-CF72CB0E24EC.jpeg

Early on I painted the surface green, then used dayglo green grass - not a good look in my opinion, and I love autumnal trees but those fall colours are the hardest to look righ, bare winter branches or spring is much easier.
37E0D291-F084-4804-A291-72EB84C610B4.jpeg

ad I developed I found an earth colour , terracotta works well is a much easier way then add a dull grass, I have tried static grass in lots of forms, including an electronic applicator, yes it is the best - but also comes with a hefty price tag, a puffer bottle costs less - and frankly any plastic bottle can provide static rub it with a dry cloth see if cling film sticks if so you have built up sufficient static, and even shaken from a piece of paper slowly in small loads can make acceptable finish, or pinched into glue making little clumps, purposely leaving some earth colour bare works well and you can use mud but cover it with glue as if Ballasting track, and mix the colour a little with black or white so it is not flat but has shades, if a hole go with black for a little shadow.
05E2AF87-AD34-4EA4-8638-11A120C43263.jpeg

if adding grass by hand rather than with a more expensive option try different textures the mix helps hide the fact it is hand laid,and in fact often ends up with a pretty natural finish
673518DC-225C-41A2-8228-E621778876DC.jpeg

if you have little confidence in your skills for a back ground just go pale powder blue sky, it always works.
the picture above has static grass and wood grass, if you can get your hand on some wood shavings (from a pencil works) crush the paint dip in green paint, and preferably in three shades like camophlage, then dry on tissue paper, even the tissue paper can be used
A3169D64-EBFC-4609-9FEC-12B1BDF75E4F.jpeg

with thick paint and some polyfilla I ā€˜painted the back scene low, painted brown, then pinched wood grass on the surface to infer distant hills
C28534A1-6322-4C0F-A6B5-4812C2E98114.jpeg

photographed only a short distance back from a better angle, the shrubs in front are horsehair rubbed with glue and added wood shavings painted, also dried moss from the garden works well
FF09B863-BBEC-46C4-BAA7-8B9ED3469FE0.jpeg
F6F80359-91D2-4EAA-B19C-146E04908D1D.jpeg

if you like the ideas and want more shout out.

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning doing chores then ballasted about 10 ft. of mainline including 2 T/O's. Sunday and Monday I'll be at Dad's. Talked to my middle brother last night. Dad was supposed to be going there to live the end of October. Well that has changed. He will be staying local. I have to break the news to him tomorrow. It will either be a apartment or our house. Sigh. Actually my daughter offered but it wouldn't be a good fit. Her house is always in chaos. There's advantages for him to stay local, I just wish my brother had said something earlier. It's always something when dealing with family.

Justin- Nice looking GP9.

Sherrel- Florida doesn't have much humidity Dec-Mid March (most of the time).

Dennis- Nice looking switcher.

Willie- A couple of really nice scenes.

TomO- Don't be KOI ;). Nice layout photo.

Jaz- Nice scenes. I start out painting the plywood brown for a dirt base.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning Everyone....a light shower early this morning and then very hot and humid later.

When I traveled for business in different towns I liked to visit the local hobby shops if I could. Once visiting family in Phoenix I went to fairly large shop that specialized in model railroading, mostly N Scale. I saw in the rear of a cabinet sat a 50 foot Santa Fe box car that was a finished BB kit with Kadee couplers and metal wheels-sets and light weathering. The car was $15.00.

The clerk told me that a guy lived alone in the desert and built 3,000 BB kits and sold the completed kits at the 3,000 mark and this car was the last to be sold. A bit of local color.

The train room seems to be drying out on its own. The carpet tile is indoor/outdoor type and I don't think the fibers can hold much moisture. Having a rubber backing helps too. I will have to replace some tiles that I removed.

My Rapido SOO SW1200 will be shipped from the local hobby shop on September 7th and they ship via one day service. Once I get the room cleaned up, I'll clean the mainline and let my other new SW1200 a MILW locomotive run as well. I listened to the ESU sound files and they sound great.

Neighbors are having a pool party. They keep talking about removing the in-ground pool since their daughter was married, but it's year after year and the pool remains. They have a beautiful back yard with the large poop and the flower beds.

That's all for now.....

Greg

###########

Afternoon all,

After getting the back yard mowed, got started getting the pool drained. Found the leak. One of the 2 big holes I patched in the bottom earlier grew under the patch, causing it to leak again. Liner is drying as I may patch it again if I can't find a new liner. Wife is pushing to keep it another year. It is 7 years at this point and I know liners font last that long.

Hopefully some train time tomorrow.

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning doing chores then ballasted about 10 ft. of mainline including 2 T/O's. Sunday and Monday I'll be at Dad's. Talked to my middle brother last night. Dad was supposed to be going there to live the end of October. Well that has changed. He will be staying local. I have to break the news to him tomorrow. It will either be a apartment or our house. Sigh. Actually my daughter offered but it wouldn't be a good fit. Her house is always in chaos. There's advantages for him to stay local, I just wish my brother had said something earlier. It's always something when dealing with family.

Justin- Nice looking GP9.

Sherrel- Florida doesn't have much humidity Dec-Mid March (most of the time).

Dennis- Nice looking switcher.

Willie- A couple of really nice scenes.

TomO- Don't be KOI ;). Nice layout photo.

Jaz- Nice scenes. I start out painting the plywood brown for a dirt base.

I hope everyone has a good night.

chet

not being koi, just took a break before hitting send and felt it was way past political when I reread it. Itā€™s good for me to act grown up sometimes!

TomO

I know Troy probably suffers from "inner proof-reader" like I do, it's what happens when you write for $$$, and your spelling has to be good.
At one point, we had a beagle, a fenced yard, and a teen daughter to whom the beagle belonged.

Yes. We had large poop in the backyard. It would only get picked up when I paid her to cut the grass. If I cut the grass, I did a much better job of the picking up.

Did I mention I'm a cat person? Cat poos in giant egg shaped pooping palace. I empty it once a week. Cat and I are both happy with that arrangement.

Evening fellers. Had to run out to the LHS for some parts. I must say this is the least I have ever spent there. Came out a little over $12.
163019025833255434414726936475.jpg
I assume that my new P2K will have the cracked axle gear issue like all the rest. Rather play it safe than sorry. I haven't gotten a single four axle P2K that didn't need the gears replaced. I prefer the #148 couplers for my stuff. The P2K couplers are garbage. Worse than Bachmann mark 2s. At least in my book they are. Well time to get to it. I'll post the end results of my GP7 when it's ready to go.

Good evening all! Working all day yesterday on the gen shed took it's toll on this old body. I spent some time today in the train room. Start the Blair "Yard Cafe". I wasn't expecting the detail that comes with this kit. N Scale counter and stools. Me thinks this is going to be tedious. I will say their directions are better than Bar Mills, at least in my humble opinion. I relocated Mooney's Plumbing and set it. Doesn't look to bad.
1630194637543.png

STAY SAFE

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back