Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I'll need t look for a place to live after Cathy finds out that a fifth DCC/sound locomotive is on its way. I ordered a Rapido SOO SW1200 via a LHS months ago and I forgot that it was ordered until they sent me an email for my credit card number. I just received a Rapido MILW SW1200 and have on order two Scale Trains, Museum SDL39's and a Rapido SP B36-7. At least I have some time before the SDL39's arrive.

Greg. Hopefully they wont take as long to come in, like this guy.

WM198.jpg

Pre-ordered from Bowser over 2 years ago, still waiting to be shipped from China. Last I heard LokSound is short on chips, so they sit in China with no decoders. Evidently the decoders are a custom fit to the RS3s, so any old decoder (with sound) may not fit. At least Sharon can't say anything, cuz I ordered it before we got married!!;)

Afternoon All,

Spent the day at Dad's mainly shredding paperwork. After getting home I cleaned the newly ballasted track and then ran a Y6b for a couple of loops. Tomorrow I'll be at Dad's again.

Karl- Yes she can!

Greg- Nice looking locos.

Guy- Have fun. I really enjoy pan fried trout over a camp fire.

Christian- That looks great.

Jaz- Nice layout photos.

Willie- Nice park scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon all! Just sitting here trying to cool off before going to the showers. I managed to complete the modifications to the shed for our whole house generator. I had to put 2 fans in it, re-wire the fans as the cords were too short, put in 3 inlet vents, install an outlet box for 50 amp cable, ground stakes to tie the shed down for storms. All in all it turned out pretty good. My grandsons will be here in the morning to help me set the shed in place and put the gen. in the shed. The gen. weighs 540 lbs. It's not a 1 man job moving it around.

Fans
Gen Shed 2.jpg

Vent side
Gen Shed 3.jpg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good afternoon .

Christian..... Don't be afraid to learn how to do scenery. If you need advise on how to do it, please ask. Also, you can learn from various sources on the internet.

Karl .... It is remarkable the chip shortage is affecting decoders. The RS3 will be nice when it eventually arrives. I don't know why it has to be a certain brand of decoder.

My friend and his wife will arrive here later than expected due to delays on the highway for construction and accidents.

Everybody .... Have a good evening.

Well, howdy there internet people

It's troy again

Today, lets talk about the unexpected and timing being just too on target.

Wife and I walked over to the free neighborhood concert. There's a group of music professionals who give music lessons to underprivileged kids, and they self fund by presenting neighborhood concerts. We usually toss a twenty in we we go.

The maestro/keyboardist lives in our neighborhood, so we get four of the concerts. They set their RV up in the parking lot, flop out the stage, have a sound guy and console under a pop up...

240823531_4315025765231231_2997370078010788431_n.jpg

So we walk over, park our lawn chairs just in time to greet a few neighbors and then it's the first number. There's a good 2 dozen folks out, not just those in my pic.

Maestro flourishes the finish, and predicts with positive thoughts "it won't rain..."

Splat
Splat, splat,
RAIN!

Check the radar... just a little cloud... looks like it'll be gone in about 5... They've tarped their stage and equipment...

Then the cloud's two little brother clouds came to join the party. they merged and we went from light blue to green rainy on the radar...

Wife and I debated Woodstocking it out... and decided to walk home. We weren't the farthest away... but far enough.

We're dry now.

One woman there mentioned that since her mini-poodle was already wet, be a good time to give her a bath...

Oh well... they've got one more concert in our local... we'll see them then...

Good Morning Happy People ! Good morning Crazy People Too !
What's the name of this very interesting accessory (Thanks to Willie for the photo) ? Where can I find it ? Thanks.

View attachment 131643
It's a ground throw from Caboose Industries. That particular one is a #202S. I have to trim off part of the Atlas throwbar and drill a hole to connect it.
For those wondering where Christian got this picture, it's from a post that I made over in the tips thread.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Got told yesterday we are having an early morning meeting at 8:15. New supervisor wants to go over some items he has to give the Assistant City Manager. I said "That's not early, my day is almost half over by then." 4 hour day on Fridays put me out at 10:30a. Old boss laughed as new supervisor usually starts at 9:00, so we can get some coverage for 2nd and 3rd shifts. He said, "Ok early for me." 🤣

Currently 75° in Doo-Dah with a temp of 98° predicted. Feels like will be at 102°, just below the heat advisory threshold.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 75° on this windless Friday morning. Still holding at 95° for the high, headed into a couple of days of cooler temperatures for the weekend. Cooler but not by much, low 90's.
Spent an hour at the hearing aid center yesterday, all is still good. Some ranges are a slight bit better and some are a slight bit worse. Overall I still have a 42% hearing loss, the same as two years ago. Can't explain why some ranges improved, but it may be that the tinnitus yesterday wasn't as bad as it is sometimes. While I didn't need to upgrade, I walked out with a new set of upgraded hearing aids anyway, the trade-in (100% of the original cost two years ago) covered 75% of their cost, and my Sam's Club premium membership took another $400 off the cost. The new ones are Bluetooth compatible and all of the settings (bass, treble, volume, various noise filters, etc) can be controlled by an app on my Samsung Android device; as well as the controls on the hearing aids themselves. The controls on the hearing aids can be cumbersome at times. Another difference is that the new ones are 128 mhz versus 48 mhz for the old ones, for increased clarity. Four year warranty and full maintenance every 90 days are included. I can actually already hear the difference in clarity. Still can't wear them underwater though!!!

Masking yesterday was hit or miss at the places that we visited on our trek into town. Mandatory in Target, recommended at Sam's, Kroger and the Vitamin Shop, and no signs present at other places. Looks like compliance was near 25%. I had mine with me, but I was able to socially distance myself everywhere. Wife went to Target, I didn't.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the park scene; Patrick, Christian, Sherrel, Karl, Garry, Chad, Tom O, Hughie, Rick, Jaz, Curt, Gary.

Good Morning Francine. Flo got the day off? Good for her. I'll take a double BLT and a sugar free A&W root beer today. Thanks as always.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did nothing constructive except to find an engine and re-attach a speed recorder that I found alonside the track. It wasn't for a lack of potential projects, I just couldn't get into the groove. Some days are just like that. So I ran a few trains, all of them from staging at one end to staging at the other end. Occasionally ducking one into a passing siding and running another in the opposite direction and then resuming. I even set up one to run continuously on the upper level while I ran others on the lower level. Running two trains at once is something that I never really do. Most likely I won't do it again since I can only concentrate on one at a time anyway.
So going back into the archives, I came up with these shots of a Walther's Merchant's Row I (of two that I have).
IMG_7422.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG
IMG_7079.JPG

All of the interior scenes are just pictures that I downloaded from the Internet and manipulated in Microsoft Word before printing and installing. Signs came from a variety of sources, all of the figures were hand-painted by me.

Patrick -
Common sense isn't so common anymore. Sadly we're educating people above their intelligence or capacity for thought.
Ain't that the truth! Fully agree with the RANT.
Garry - Have a safe trip to see Uncle Pete's Big Boy.
I try to slip little scenes like that park scene in wherever I have a bit of space that can't be used for something else. Thanks for the comment.
Christian - Regarding the #321 magnets, I would use Woodland Scenics Scenic Accents Glue. It's repositionable glue; I use it for figures and roofs that I may want to move or remove.

Not too sure that I like yesterday's upgrade to the forum. But I'll get used to it I guess.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Morning all,

Got told yesterday we are having an early morning meeting at 8:15. New supervisor wants to go over some items he has to give the Assistant City Manager. I said "That's not early, my day is almost half over by then." 4 hour day on Fridays put me out at 10:30a. Old boss laughed as new supervisor usually starts at 9:00, so we can get some coverage for 2nd and 3rd shifts. He said, "Ok early for me." 🤣

Currently 75° in Doo-Dah with a temp of 98° predicted. Feels like will be at 102°, just below the heat advisory threshold.
Oh, you've been marked down as trouble.

Good morning Crew of global modeling. Out on the south deck in Cheese land and it is a haze covered sky. Thick enough that I can’t see across the valley in front of me. Damp, breezy and feels like a mist out here. 74f degrees now heading to 84 and heavy rains coming in around noon. The haze at 6 this morning on the WeatherChannel app is now saying it’s a fog. Either way it looks terrible out here.

I can hear the sounds of Freedom flying overhead in pairs but of course I cannot see them in this haze/fog crap. F-16’s normally but in 2022 they will become F-35’s. It will be great to see those fly overhead.

trains, I am in a position I have so much to do I not sure which way to go. Keep working on scenery while I wait for the tie strips to show up or weather the rolling stock. I know the static applicator still works as I zapped myself foolishly last night. The friend came over and spray painted his tree armatures from Wednesday and we added molding compound to the stuff he continued to make at home yesterday morning and afternoon. We made 5 pine trees last night using static grass as the foliage. He loved them, I didn’t.

Have a great day
TomO

front end Friday shot

18B3CAEC-1C43-47C5-8E16-1BCA7291CAF1.jpeg

Greetings all!

Finally getting some decent rain. Getting our entire allotment for August in 36 hours. But that means no Friday golf for me, so what to do? Head down to the layout and start the wiring project!!

I will set up my PSX Circuit breakers, and then start installing and connecting the bus wires for the yard. If you recall my layout, it is a free-standing 4x8 bolted to a shelf 'ell' attached to the wall. Technically, theoretically, the 4x8 is knock-down. We may have to replace the carpet in that room at some point. So I am wanting all wire connections to be breakable. I plan to use Anderson power pole connectors to run from the Zephyr to the 4x8 buss so that it can be disconnected.

Then to start drilling and soldering feeder wires. Still think it's gong to be 20 pairs give or take a few. That's a lot of work - better get started!

---------Steve J

Special meeting of the City Council this morning. Current City Manager announced her retirement about 3 weeks ago and they named the Assistant City Manager as New City manager.

He's currently in charge of the department I work for, so quoting a famous song, "Here's to the new boss, same as the old boss...". 😄

Enough changes I may have to consider early retirement myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back