Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the pics of the bungled truck and the car it came from...

20210814_145929.jpg

20210814_145947.jpg

20210814_150029.jpg

The truck has Kadee and USA on the bottom side, but the coupler box and coupler look like a one piece unit. I've not yet been able to locate a similar truck. And yes the step on the one side is broken as well. He took it to a 5th grade class for show and share and proceeded to drop it. IIRC we bought the car and 3 others undecorated for $5.00 or so. In the first picture you'll see the pin that holds the truck to the body. It does work and holds, but I'd like to see if I can make this something other than a tail end car.

Here's the pics of the bungled truck and the car it came from...

View attachment 131275

View attachment 131276

View attachment 131277

The truck has Kadee and USA on the bottom side, but the coupler box and coupler look like a one piece unit. I've not yet been able to locate a similar truck. And yes the step on the one side is broken as well. He took it to a 5th grade class for show and share and proceeded to drop it. IIRC we bought the car and 3 others undecorated for $5.00 or so. In the first picture you'll see the pin that holds the truck to the body. It does work and holds, but I'd like to see if I can make this something other than a tail end car.
That is a very old version of a Micro Trains 1000 Bettendorf truck and coupler.

Willie, thanks for asking, Bud has good days and bad days, kinda like the rest of us. On his bad days SWMBO give him a pain pill, and after a nap he seems to feel much better. Soon we will start weaning him down on the Prednisone again, so he doesn't lose much muscle mass.

Terry, did Murphy follow you to work?? Get better!

This just in! Someone stole the commode at the Sheriff's office. Cops have nothing to go on!
Mechanic’s creepers make poor skateboards.

After seeing Alan's beautiful GF-7 locomotives, I bit the bullet and ordered one Rapido B36-7 locomotives. I love their gray and red color scheme and the history of the SP. I'm a sucker for front mounted beacons and this locomotive has one.

One problem is how to hide the credit card's monthly billing from Cathy. The old saying goes, "Never ask for permission, just ask for forgiveness."

Now I better get down to the railroad and start some projects.

-Greg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then spent several hours in the train room ballasting the mine trackage. One of my buddies I met up with last Saturday (lighting expert) is making me 3 light boards that will go in the 3 mine sections for interior and exterior lighting. That makes me happy. Tomorrow I'll be at Dad's and have a extensive list of things to do. We're starting to farm out and get rid of things for his end of Oct. move to VA where he will be staying with my middle brother who lost his wife last year (not Covid).

Christian- I do the method in the second photo for A-A running.

TomO- You are exactly right about the honey do lists. On top of everything I am dealing with Dad, the wife has decided we now need to change the 4 bathroom faucets:mad:. I told her buy 4 of the ones you want then pay someone to install them.

Willie- Nice structure. It has a older western feel to me.

Troy- I feel your pain. Been there, done that many times.

Hughie- Nice layout shots. I have the same camera and really like it.

Terry- Nice video. Good luck in the ER.

Alan- Very nice A-A set.

Dakota- Great looking consist and layout.

Joe- I love the looks of the box electrics.

Here are photos from the layout work today. The blank spots are where the footers go and will be covered during final install.

20210816_143103.jpg

20210816_143110.jpg

20210816_143120.jpg

20210816_143351.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning Everyone......sunny and a nice day here in Southeast Wisconsin. People are still cleaning up from last week's storm damage.

Yesterday we took a day trip to the cabin to check on things and as an escape from daily life. Great day to just sit on the cabin deck and take a short nap. Left the cabin and 25 miles on the way home Cathy forgot to turn off the water valve in the pump house. We always turn off all electrical breakers and the the water valve on the pipe from the expansion tape in the pump house to the cabin in case there's a pipe break in the cabin. No need to flood part of the cabin. So we turned around and turned off the valve.

Riley loved running around the cabin's yard with her nose to the ground.

Cathy wanted to drive home in the new car so I turned over the keys and off we went with Cathy driving like we were in the Indy 500 and made it home in record time. She's starting to get used to the new car and likes the lane control feature.

Later this week back to the cabin and a trip to a restaurant that Cathy likes for Prime Rib. The place is called the Black Otter and it features Prime Rib and you have to order yours 24 hours in advance since they roast the Ribs in their kitchens unlike many restaurants who use packaged, pre-cooked prime rib. The rib sizes varied from Queen at 32 oz. to Extreme at 160 oz. We order the queen cut and it's perfect for a filling meal. A long drive from the cabin, but worth every mile.

View attachment 131273
Maybe a bit too rare, but I like mid-rare prime rib.-Greg

Alan: Beautiful SP FP-7 locomotives. Great detail and craftsmanship. Allan, where did you purchase these beauties? Wish the SP ran in on my layout. Well, not being a purist I think I could run a SP through train once in awhile.....just maybe!

Hobo: Nice job on the Bar Mills kit. I enjoy building them and their easy and fun to work on.

I hoped to get down to the trains this week, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Tomorrow my third Corvid-19 shot as booster. I'm in a high risk group so the third shot is no brainer to provide added protection from the virus.

It's a shame that my new Rapido SW1500 is still in its box.

That's about all for now since not much in the train department to report on................

Greg

####################################
Greg, I got them from Jetco’s Hiawatha Hobbies up in Waukesha. They’ve always treated me right.

Okay, I need opinions/advice as to selling some old HO trains. I was cleaning up some boxes in a closet and came across the pictured HO trains. I think they are about 25 years old. The price on the passenger car boxes is $10.79. Both the "A" units are powered, "B" is a dummy, and ABA are Atherns. How would I go about pricing and selling them. I have no need for them. (They are to long for the Christmas tree)
UP Locos.jpg
UP Passenger (2).jpg

Thanks in advance

Instead of our usual Wisconsin Friday night Fish fry curbside Covid pickup we opted for outdoor dining at a supposed higher end Mexican food place. Even made a 3:30pm reservation. Yeah, 3:30, we have definitely with that hit the senior division. Geez, that’s snack time not dinner. Anyway we get there and the 3 at the host stand greet us and lead us to an indoor table. Before I could say anything Terry says our reservation is for outdoor seating, he says we have no server for outside. There were 4 tables of maybe 20 with diners we could see outside. Terry said thanks we are leaving. He goes should I cancel your reservation? !!! We went next door to an amazing outdoor patio at the Italian place maybe 300’ feet away. I grew up with Italian food made by mom and my grandmother. This felt like eating at grandma’s big kitchen table. It was well worth eating too early in the day. We will take the Mex place off our dining list and add the Italian place.

enjoy your day
TomO
Tom- as my late father told me many years ago, when I get good service, I’ll tell 3-4 friends. When I get bad service, I’ll tell 10 friends. I’ve walked out of a couple 2-3 restaurants for poor service before we even got drinks. Once, we waited 15 minutes(they weren’t busy that night) before we walked out after being ignored. Ended driving up to Wausau & going to Milwaukee Burger & dropping 1 1/2- 2X as much money for our meal, as what we would have spent at the place in town.

One problem is how to hide the credit card's monthly billing from Cathy. The old saying goes, "Never ask for permission, just ask for forgiveness."

While I tend to believe in that saying, the one recent train thing I bought I actually asked permission on. I have no trouble with the credit card bill. It is the delivery guy I have to figure out how to "hide" his appearance. So when Micro Ace released a special run of a locomotive and set of wagons for the Furano Biei Norokko train, which we as a family rode when we were in Hokkaido in the summer of 2019, out to a special tourist trap called "Lavender Farm" (a working melon, flower, and lavender farm that also has plenty of gift shops, food stands, etc for the poor tourist). And she agreed to the purchase, surprise of all surprises... Otherwise, I have been a pretty good boy the past year or so as we worked to get the house started. (We are stuck at the footings while I wait for the ICF blocks, which are delayed :( ).

I needed a tunnel to cover some scenery and hide some track but not lose an area for buildings, insulation foam left over from home diy proved handy, hole cut, tunnel drawn, then slightly modelled and painted,this area is right at the back so not going to be looked at too hard, I use dirty water washes, as I like the results,left overs from larger painted areas that got grassed,waste not want not - warning the water can start too smell if left too long….holds nose.
BB81ED35-5B91-4B46-96DC-98EB46A9CA21.jpeg
FD32EDDD-3396-4555-B386-61DF94626C43.jpeg
00F51CFF-7FFE-4F36-9EFE-9931EB6973A3.jpeg
E7D9F392-526A-40D4-A4D6-05BD2E6A9B40.jpeg
967202D9-39F1-48D1-9998-3403F7B146A3.jpeg

Morning all,

Pop up showers on the way home yesterday. Otherwise a pretty uneventful evening.

Currently partly cloudy and 70° in Doo-Dah this morning.

Thanks for the responses on what to get for the N-scale trucks. It really helps when you know EXACTLY what you're looking for instead of a general search. What surprised me was that the trucks were marked as Kadee but I couldn't even find them on their site until I knew what I was looking for.

Jaz: Love the tunnel entrance. I may steal the idea in the future.

Not much going on this morning so far. I do have time for a cup, thanks Flo...

Morning fellers. I dont even remember the last time I stopped by here. Havent had much going on really. A whole bunch of work, eat, and sleep. Nothing new to the layout. I dont want to add to it in the present state. The warping is on my nerves. Ive been contemplating the possibility of a do over. The way things are I need to get away from the cut lumber ive been using and explore other alternatives. Its the same gripe just another post. Other than that I still continue to run my trains when I can. I hope everyone is doing well. I will try to stop by again when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back