Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
8996155.jpg

Good morning gang
70° from central Absurdistan, only looking for a high of 87 under cloudy skies.
I did finalize the rough draft of the new layout plans yesterday, and got a nod of approval from SWMBO. There are several geeps in various states of disassembly to be completed before the workbench can be moved. #3 son needs to remove the weight bench, then the old layout can be moved, etc, etc, etc. Babysteps.
Off to work, BBL

Good Morning Everybody. Mostly cloudy here and 73°. Looks like the repetitive weather forecast is staying with us for another ten days. Mid 70's to mid and upper 90's is forecast to be the temperature range and no rain in sight. I'll need to add water to the pool today, maybe 350 gallons.
My wife goes in for cataract surgery tomorrow. They won't tell her what time until sometime later today. Left eye this time around as that's the one I've been putting the drops in. See how this one works out before scheduling the right eye. I need it as well, although the optometrist told me right eye only and no rush. Hoping that it rids me of these damn glasses that I have had for the last year and a half.
My anti-vaxxer sister in law and her husband have become ill. Guess what they have. That's right, Covid-19. Neither requires hospitalization at this point. She is so anti-medical that at the age of 68, she's never had a vaccine or a mammogram. Husband does get tetanus and pneumonia vaccines though.

I don't have any issues with Facebook, You Tube or Twitter. Why? I don't participate in any of them. This forum is my Facebook.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the two current projects; Jaz, Tom O, Karl, Christian, Justin, Tom, Gary, Rick, Hughie, Guy, Curt, Sherrel, Gary S, Patrick.

Hello Flo. How about a couple of giant loaded breakfast burritos for my breakfast this morning. Yep! Include the potato in them. And a big bowl of spicy salsa to go with it. Better make it two large OJ's to wash it down with.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished cleaning up the flash on the white metal castings. Washed them and then applied primer. Meanwhile I got a better picture of the gas station interior.
IMG_7451.JPG

I built a cardstock Coke machine for out front. I got the original pattern for it as well as Pepsi and Dr Pepper machines from somebody's modeling site on the Internet, and duplicated it into a whole string of machines to cut out as needed.
IMG_7472.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

Added a .100" styrene bottom and a .020" top to stabilize it.
IMG_7474.JPG

I still need to paint the top black, but I ran out of time yesterday.
Here it is in place with the station owner.
IMG_7475.JPG

Working on this station reminds me of my youth around 1965 or so. There was a Gulf station exactly like this about 3/4 mile from our house. Me and my friends would hang out there because the owner had an air gauge and compressed air for us to fill our bicycle tires with. He would also look the other way so we could buy cigarettes from his machine. We were all 13 or so at the time. The story that stands out most vividly is when he would "check the oil" for customers seated in their cars. After wiping the dipstick clean, he would re-insert it not quite far enough and then show the unsuspecting customer that they were half a quart low. They agreed to have him top it off, and he would get an empty can (supposedly half full) with a spout in it from the garage bay, and go through the motions of filling the crankcase. He re-inserted the dip stick and then showed it to them as full. He charged for a half quart and put the empty can back into the garage. He kept separate cans for the different brands that he used.

Tom O - I have always liked the Merchant's Row kits. I have two of MR I and one each of II, IV, and V. I'd like to get a MR III, but they have been discontinued, and everything that I have seen on the Internet is misidentified.
Justin - I have bent my own grabs out of wire. I don't remember the gauge right now. It's not hard.
Curt - Thanks for the update on Phil. He has been a stranger here although I still get his E-mailed videos, jokes and cartoons.
Gary S - Hope that you are spared any major flooding from Ida.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning all,

70° from Doo-Dah this morning. Coffee this morning and a short stack of blueberry pancakes with bacon. Thanks Flo. Would have gotten the stack, but I'm getting fat. The work over the weekend pointed out that I needed to lose some weight.

Speaking of work, I got the remaining pool stuff put away and ripped out the fence around the blueberry bushes. I know I'm trying to raise them in an area that they are not native to, but they are dying and I don't completely understand why. Friday I had gotten the front yard mowed with the self propelled push mower that I knew was leaking fuel and it kept sounding like it was running out of gas. I finally set it up to replace the fuel line and found it wasn't leaking at the fuel line. Apparently the air filter was so clogged it was sucking the fuel just to get enough air to run and getting the filter so full of gas, that it couldn't breath. A new air filter cured the problem. Cleaned the carb area with brake clean and no more fuel leak. I the put some new wheels on the BBQ grill as the old ones broke after 7 years, imagine that.

I did get some train time yesterday, but didn't accomplish much. I'll post a picture of the grandson's railcar I got fixed. At least I can put it on the track in between two other cars and it holds them while running. I got my work space straightened out and then went through my models to build to see what I wanted to build next. I looked over several and didn't really see anything to work on that inspired me at the moment, so I ran a train in a circle for 30 minutes (outer loop which is really an oval, but you get it) and then went back upstairs.

Good morning all,

Had a few hours to get outside. Grass finally needed mowing; it's been over six weeks since last cutting. Neighbor was outside using an axe and a chainsaw working on a big stump in his back yard. We chatted about how hot the summer has been and both agreed it was nice to start getting outside again. Made a voyage repair. Ran over an apparently too-large piece of branch (leftover from the big one that came down). Mower didn't like it. So had to stop and wheel to garage. Removed a metal frame bit and rebent into mostly proper shape and reinstalled. Mower worked much better.

Enjoyed a barley pop after that just before the rains came. Cleaned up and headed down to work. But not feeling it and tired, so put on an old movie.

Then got busy and was able to get all of the remaining feeders soldered before wife returned from her outing with youngest daughter. Light dinner, TV, and then bed just as another line of storms rolled in. Slept well and now prepping for church.

No pictures, this morning. I have a VFW event this afternoon and then kids coming over for early dinner. So tomorrow will be next train work. Then I should be able to finish wiring the feeder drops and test run the entire yard.

I don't do videos. Living in a fishbowl, I have too many people of my church with whom I am hesitant on sharing the details of some aspects of my private life. I have learned to be very generic on FB and am leery of others learning about this new hobby or my wargaming (John Tiller games). "Oh, pastor has time (and money) for model railroading AND golf in the summer? We must pay him too much."

So do not expect op videos of the yard functioning, much as I would enjoy sharing it with you.

I got some good tips regarding my PSX circuit breakers on the DIgitrax Users website, so ordered some two terminal blocks which get soldered onto the printed circuit board. Never done that, so yet another new skill to learn. But got a good tip for that as well. But those show a Wed. delivery via Amazon, so might not get that done before the long weekend. WIfe and I are heading out of town to Stillwater, MN for the long weekend for some much needed R&R. Should be a nice weekend for reconnecting and enjoying each other. We have a strict 'no devices' policy for get-aways, so will be incommunicado.

It was on our last get away in January that I did much reading and designing for the layout. This time, I think I might leave all train hobby related items behind and get my mind off the layout. Might help for some new ideas when I do return.

Hope all have a great day ---------Steve J
It seems sad to me that someone who gives so much to the community need fear that very community, but worse I totally understand your thought process, take 100 people 20 won’t care, 20 will say good for you, 20 will think your whole life should be do gooding no time left over, 20 might wish to join you - but club members often fall out so best avoided, and the last 20 will likely include one who might wish to steal from you, at least three will think it is fine to gossip and the others who knows. I respect your work, because I sure as xxxx could not cope with the drawbacks. And yes you deserve to be paid, in fact if you got overtime you should be really well paid, in the past 10 percent was to these to the church, plus even those that could not marry would often have a live in, and no one turned a blind eye to it.
To my mind, most of us should mind our own business and leave others to theirs, unless it breaks reasonable laws.Church should be a place of haven, for everybody!
Have also wandered after working all ones life for the church what on earth happens to those people after they no longer work, I do not see any retirement homes for clergy. I would like to think a pension awaits those people.You do not have to answer they are my thoughts, and are not expecting to draw you into any discussions.

Good morning global people from a very crispy cool deck in So. Central Wisconsin. It is 64f degrees going to 84. Clear skies with some smoke haze but it still looks beautiful. Not sure how long the lower humidities will be visiting us but I will enjoy it while I can.

The ladies are stirring around the coffee machine and their plan is to watch the 1st hour of GMA on ABC then head to the stables. Terry records GMA.

Thankfully IDA was no Katrina but what devastation Ida caused to Louisiana. Is it worth it to keep rebuilding to be destroyed again down the road? Wow, hopefully the death toll stays at the 1 being reported but we all know better. Good for Al Roker of NBC to tell folks that said he is too old at 68 to report from NO to screw themselves. But, one needs to ask why a multimillionaire is still working at 68. Enjoy life at that age…

trains, the friend had to cancel out yesterday to work on the trees so I ended up on the second ride of the day for the ladies. What a nice day in the woods yesterday was. Did nothing in the trainroom.

Our granddaughter is officially 10 today. She is Down Syndrome but other then her speaking many folks wouldn’t know it. Scared her parents and others that 1st 6 months with 2 heart operations but she was and is a trooper. She can be sweet, loving at times but also has a temper. Geez, reminds me of her mom growing up. Starts 5th grade Wednesday.

Retail therapy, the spree continues. Rounded out my locomotive roster back up to 6 with the order placement for 2 Mp15ac Genesis locomotives. Older run but still fine running and detailed machines. Ordered Scale Sound speakers, ESC decoders and led lights. I did sell 3 GP38-2’s yesterday. Wow, the price of wire has gone up! Ordered from Amazon some #14 white and Black in 500’ rolls. #18 I purchased just 1 box of multi colors for the feeders. I may have enough with what I have now but not for what’s planned. Ordered new soldering tips and more Vallejo rust paint for the rails.

So basically the CN will bring 2-Gp40-2w’s into the yards to drop off and pickup. I will have 2-gp40-2w and 2-Mp15ac working from the yard to all the industries in my free lance Wisconsin River Valley and Terminal R colors. Nit trains will be run through s but that’s a ways off for purchasing the equipment.

Have a wonderful day
TomO

You all lead such varied and exciting lives! Everyone is getting things done while I seem to go in circles akin to Patrick's train?
Good morning from here - it is still very dark outside - and the forecast is for a 93 degree high ... yesterday only got to 89 for a high due to a pretty large fire west of town 4-6 miles that kept everything smoky and the sun looking like a big reddish ball. I'm unsure if the fire is out this morning. Haven't looked to be honest, but my "cowboy" BIL was helping move horses Saturday afternoon and did not check in yesterday - so must have been still busy.

I seemed to stay fairly busy although not accomplishing much! Was going to change the oil in the generator, re-attach some molding trim. clean the a/c filters, and scoot under the RV to see if there was any new mouse work.
Well, I grabbed a handful of tools and wrenches, a quart and a half of oil, and headed out to the MIL's place (I have the RV up in the driveway where it is on a hard surface and flat) only to find that the drain cover plate on the oil plug is one of those star bits - so that stopped me before I even started there. So I decided I would do what I could on the other projects and return later in the afternoon when it is cooler - sitting, crawling on hot concrete is not fun anymore and I am finding that getting up and down is more troublesome than it once was!
OK, I re-approached the problem with the bit that I needed and managed to screw up (stripped) one of the screws and after many choice words managed to extract it with vice-grips. Got the pan, ratchet, and a couple sockets to pull the plug -- guess what -- it is metric! God help me -- I brought only standard sockets and the plug is situated where only a socket will fit.
Yesterday morning I went out early and drained the oil, found a fine-thread screw to replace the one I had stripped - actually I replaced both of them to get away from that "star screw" - and commenced to add new oil. The final blow is that I had taken a quart and a half with me and it appears that I am about a cup or slightly more short - so I am making a third trip out this morning to finish a 20 minute job started on Saturday!
In the meantime, I did manage a trip to the store and was able to roll the trash bins out to the street without turning one of them over?

OK, the pups are bugging me for their morning treats and it is starting to get light outside. I will take care of them and hot-foot it out to add the little bit of oil, put the cover back on and move it from the driveway. I am not sure if the Spousal Unit is coming home later today or tomorrow?

Willie - I like the coke machines - the shelves though, look a little bare? How much did the Station guy charge for that half quart of invisible motor oil?

TLOC - You have a very interesting life. What's a chord of firewood go for up there ... I'm going to need some this winter - if we are still allowed to have a fire?
I understand that "new" construction is not allowed to have wood fires?

Got to vamoose for now .. BBL Maybe I can talk the Spousal Unit into a breakfast this morning?

My anti-vaxxer sister in law and her husband have become ill. Guess what they have. That's right, Covid-19. Neither requires hospitalization at this point. She is so anti-medical that at the age of 68, she's never had a vaccine or a mammogram.

The story that stands out most vividly is when he would "check the oil" for customers seated in their cars. After wiping the dipstick clean, he would re-insert it not quite far enough and then show the unsuspecting customer that they were half a quart low. They agreed to have him top it off, and he would get an empty can (supposedly half full) with a spout in it from the garage bay, and go through the motions of filling the crankcase. He re-inserted the dip stick and then showed it to them as full. He charged for a half quart and put the empty can back into the garage. He kept separate cans for the different brands that he used.
Good Morning, friends!
I can't seem to format my post how I would like it, since the forum upgrades took place. There don't seem to be a 'quote' option anymore.

Buuuutt!, I feel the need to comment on what Willie talked about this morning. - I read the above with mixed emotion. Firstly, I do hope that the conspiracy-theorist sister-in-law does not suffer too deeply from repercussions experienced as a result of contracting the deadly disease. On the other hand, it's probably a good thing that she suffers some pain for a short time during the course of the disease. Might smarten her up, without actually having to slap some sense into her.
Also, the story about the shyster Gulf station criminal depressed me. I dislike con-artists and scammers to the extreme. If I were king, public and televised spankings would become a punishment in the criminal code.

The party is over!! Everyone who attended my wife's garden party has returned back to whence they came, and the party was a great success. We keep our parties alcohol free, which helps to make them more honest and fun. Good food and good company makes for a good party.

I haven't been taking many photos these last days, with fishing and parties and such. So I had to go into the files to find something to post.
Often, if I come across machinery used in industry, I'll stop and take some photos.
This loader with various front end attachments, is used in the railway business. It must be owned by the company stated on the side of the machine.
I take these photos for reference. Sometime in the future, I'm going to be modeling machinery for my layout. It's nice to get the colors and details right:
Deere 644K_Windfall_08-17-2021 (1).jpg

Deere 644K_Windfall_08-17-2021 (2).jpg

Deere 644K_Windfall_08-17-2021 (3).jpg

That's all I've got time for today, even though it is a rest day. I'm thinking I might head down to the tracks to see what's up and take some more photos.

Thank you for the likes and comments on my simple posts. Have a wonderful day!!!

Morning fellers. Hope everyone is doing well. Gave up on the GP7 project last night. Didn't make it far at all. The grabs didn't take the glue well at all. The prefilled holes are bigger than the included grabs in the set which came with it. The set does belong with the locomotive. They aren't aftermarket grabs. It was frustrating to say the least. Now I can purchase some wire ones for little to nothing. Then comes the next issue. This unit is the typical C&O enchantment blue. It's a lighter blue. So how to mix the paint to match? That in itself would be a new learning curve for me. As I typically only purchase rtr units. So for now I'm putting that project on hold for the time being. Layout wise I'm working on installing a control panel for my throttles I have the best performance with. I'm growing tired of placing throttles on top of boxes and anything else I can find for support. So I'm going to build more permanent supports for the throttles. Other than that. Adding more puffball trees to the divider. Well that's all I have for now. I'll stop in again when I get a chance.

This unit is the typical C&O enchantment blue. It's a lighter blue. So how to mix the paint to match? That in itself would be a new learning curve for me. As I typically only purchase rtr units. .
Hi Justin. I have some experience mixing paint for modeling purposes.
I suggest you take white and mix in true-blue to achieve the color you are after. Don't take blue and mix in white, because it takes too much white to lighten up the blue. Or you might start with a very light grey and mix in blue.
I'm just saying, never start with a dark color and try to lighten it up. Always, the other way around.

Good Morning Everybody. Mostly cloudy here and 73°. Looks like the repetitive weather forecast is staying with us for another ten days. Mid 70's to mid and upper 90's is forecast to be the temperature range and no rain in sight. I'll need to add water to the pool today, maybe 350 gallons.
My wife goes in for cataract surgery tomorrow. They won't tell her what time until sometime later today. Left eye this time around as that's the one I've been putting the drops in. See how this one works out before scheduling the right eye. I need it as well, although the optometrist told me right eye only and no rush. Hoping that it rids me of these damn glasses that I have had for the last year and a half.
My anti-vaxxer sister in law and her husband have become ill. Guess what they have. That's right, Covid-19. Neither requires hospitalization at this point. She is so anti-medical that at the age of 68, she's never had a vaccine or a mammogram. Husband does get tetanus and pneumonia vaccines though.

I don't have any issues with Facebook, You Tube or Twitter. Why? I don't participate in any of them. This forum is my Facebook.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the two current projects; Jaz, Tom O, Karl, Christian, Justin, Tom, Gary, Rick, Hughie, Guy, Curt, Sherrel, Gary S, Patrick.

Hello Flo. How about a couple of giant loaded breakfast burritos for my breakfast this morning. Yep! Include the potato in them. And a big bowl of spicy salsa to go with it. Better make it two large OJ's to wash it down with.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished cleaning up the flash on the white metal castings. Washed them and then applied primer. Meanwhile I got a better picture of the gas station interior.View attachment 131770
I built a cardstock Coke machine for out front. I got the original pattern for it as well as Pepsi and Dr Pepper machines from somebody's modeling site on the Internet, and duplicated it into a whole string of machines to cut out as needed.
View attachment 131771
View attachment 131772
Added a .100" styrene bottom and a .020" top to stabilize it.
View attachment 131773
I still need to paint the top black, but I ran out of time yesterday.
Here it is in place with the station owner.
View attachment 131774

Working on this station reminds me of my youth around 1965 or so. There was a Gulf station exactly like this about 3/4 mile from our house. Me and my friends would hang out there because the owner had an air gauge and compressed air for us to fill our bicycle tires with. He would also look the other way so we could buy cigarettes from his machine. We were all 13 or so at the time. The story that stands out most vividly is when he would "check the oil" for customers seated in their cars. After wiping the dipstick clean, he would re-insert it not quite far enough and then show the unsuspecting customer that they were half a quart low. They agreed to have him top it off, and he would get an empty can (supposedly half full) with a spout in it from the garage bay, and go through the motions of filling the crankcase. He re-inserted the dip stick and then showed it to them as full. He charged for a half quart and put the empty can back into the garage. He kept separate cans for the different brands that he used.

Tom O - I have always liked the Merchant's Row kits. I have two of MR I and one each of II, IV, and V. I'd like to get a MR III, but they have been discontinued, and everything that I have seen on the Internet is misidentified.
Justin - I have bent my own grabs out of wire. I don't remember the gauge right now. It's not hard.
Curt - Thanks for the update on Phil. He has been a stranger here although I still get his E-mailed videos, jokes and cartoons.
Gary S - Hope that you are spared any major flooding from Ida.

Everybody have a great day.
Best wishes to the wife, hope it all goes well

I won Powerball!!!!

OK, I matched the Powerball lottery and won $4.00, so I got another ticket for tonight and a ticket for Mega Millions tomorrow night. First time I've ever won. Why couldn't it be the big prize???

On a side note: The wife got sent home as they shut down the daycare she works at due to Covid. A teacher was positive and had been floating into all the rooms except the infant room (wife's room) and the afterschool program. Gotta shut the whole place down. She'll get paid, but just not the OT hours they had her scheduled for.

Good afternoon.

Willie, one of the best decisions I made was to have the cataract surgery. Best to the wife.

Sherrel, a cord of firewood in Dane County, Wi. Is $145 and delivered is 2 cord minimum. Gas verus wood fireplaces. Gas only in multi-residential. Wood burning fireplaces are still a thing and fine if grandfathered anywhere but still allowed in new construction but each municipality has there own ordances to be followed. Interesting life, maybe but only because I talk about life

Patrick, a win is a win, congrats

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back