Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something for Sherrel and other air junkies that I found on "the Tube" while fiddling around. This is a Mark17 Spitfire, of the type that came into service in the very latter part of WW2, with the larger "Griffon" engine, 5 blade prop (there was also one type fitted with twin 3 blade, counter rotating propellors, built for the RN Fleet Arm, I believe). This model was longer, had the P51D type canopy, a larger tailfin to counteract the increased torque of the increased capacity and from accounts, not as pleasant an aircraft to fly as the Merlin engine. A much more throaty, coarser sound to it as well. Nothing beats the RR or Packard Merlins in that department. Many of the latter came to Australia and NZ and were built here by the C.A.C (Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation) in Mustangs.

Your prototype looks very similarly weathered to one of my MRL SD35's, which I want to replicate. Getting that streaking down the angled sides of the roof and tank is not easy. Too thin and the paint just blends back together again and gathers along the bottom edge. Too thick and it is obvious that it is paint. Only on the trucks is it relatively easy. I did see a technique in a Tamiya magazine used on military vehicles using their clear orange acrylic spray paint to create the darker streak lines, airbrushed in light narrow stripes over the thinned gray. Sort of creating the effect in the reverse of how it would happen in reality
My prototype
View attachment 116729
I see you've also "been-there-done-that" with weathering! Yes, fuel tanks are indeed a PITA - especially because [at least in my case] that's where I grab my models to pick them up and/or rerail them. Can't really do the vertical streaks with an airbrush, and Pan Pastels get rubbed off by my fingertips or those of my guest operators...

Good Morning all. Flo. English Muffin and Coffee in a bit hurry like Ken. Thanks for all the comments and like over the weekend. Here’s a old AHM O scale Reefer I’ve been working on. The Decals came from Tichy Train Group abs I’ll be adding some Scale City Design Reefer Hatches and Stirups I’ll check in later today
A9578FB1-C9E5-47FD-A436-67F151C725D6.jpeg
3172ACE8-13DF-4FC5-820B-18AC566A9763.jpeg
FEFBE2BD-F162-449B-93C3-93734BD654CE.jpeg
41042A30-E685-4E79-86AD-C04409DED2EF.jpeg

Morning all,

Taken me some time to catch up in here.

Wife is being scheduled for a stress test sometime in the next week or so. They've got to call the Insurance co. for OK. Theit EKG didn't show anything abnormal, and now she's worried they won't find anything wrong. We really don't want them to find anything wrong.....

I did get some train time over the weekend, ok some modeling time anyway. The little building is slowly coming together, I'll post the majority to my building thread, but here's a taste:

20200830_154254.jpg

I got a little sloppy with the initial paint, which you see on the siding shingles. Paint I didn't see on my fingers until I shifted it while the paint was wet. I left the one doorway with the stick on it to support the sidewall until the door is added.

I have to get a magnifying lamp later today as some of the detail is giving me a headache.

Louis: I hear you about being cheap. My Equinox has everything on it, but we don't pay for satellite, onstar, etc., either. he navigation in it is using Garmin maps and can be updated whenever I need\desire by getting an update through Garmin, but I can buy a lot of Rand McNally road atlas's for the $175 price for the maps.

Willie: Welcome to the freak show that is walmart. I do very little there, especially after they laid my son off, but he's glad to be out of there. He's making a lot more money where's he's at now and seems to be happier. What's funny is how walmart and sam's club are always out of paper towels, tp, cleaning wipes, etc. I can still get those at Costco, Kroger affiliate (Dillon's in Kansas) and Target.

Last edited:
Good Morning again. Thundershower passed by but it only sprinkled, but it did lower the temperature to 77° and now mostly cloudy skies. Maybe more on the way. The rain yesterday was minimal, at only .25", just enough to keep me from mowing. So I spent the morning starting a fresh compost pile for next spring's garden. Did a lot of catch-up on household chores after lunch and a nap.
A great milestone in my wife's surgery recovery yesterday, she set aside the walker and used the cane all day. This knee is doing better than the other one did at the same time. Of course we learned from the first surgery. Still no wine though!:(

How about some good old fashioned buckwheat pancakes and maple syrup for me this morning Francine. Yes, of course I would like some bacon on the side. I'm going to miss Aunt Jemima.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on the museum pictures yesterday; Tom O, Tom, Guy, Sherrel, Lee, Louis, Phil, Ken, Chet, Rick, Curt, Karl, Ray, James, Chad, Patrick. It is quite an impressive layout despite the "three rail" track! I was very fortunate that they allowed me to go beyond the members only gate and take pictures of some scenes in the interior. If you're ever in the area, it's well worth the visit. Besides the layout and the 1:1 equipment outdoors, the historical part of the museum is also quite good. Foley is about 40 miles east of Mobile AL, and 30 miles west of Pensacola FL. It's only 700 miles from my house if you want to stop for supper.

I made progress of sorts out in the train shed later on yesterday. I finished drilling all of the fence post holes and test-fitted all nine sections.
08-31-20 003.JPG

Here's a shot for Joe who likes the "down the line" shots.
08-31-20 004.JPG

Neither of the two fences are anchored in yet, that will come when I get out the scenery materials again and start to add bushes, high grass and weeds. The steel block will be removed once the fence sections are glued to each other and it is no longer needed.
Over on the workbench, I studied the yard mule for the piggyback ramp facility, to see if I could open it up to add a driver. Success!🤩 Not only did I get it apart, but I did it without breaking off any details! I also picked out some workers who will be honored to be working there.
08-31-20 002.JPG

The seated figure that I am going to use as a driver is in the midst of being reworked (cosmetic surgery). He was in a set of 120 figures from China that my son got me for Christmas a couple of years ago. They are relatively low quality figures (he didn't know, he bought them sight unseen on the Internet), and I have been trimming flash and repainting all of them before they hit the layout. Side note: I originally thought that they were all oriental figures until I realized that the "bun" on the top of every figures head was the sprue connecting point (they came separate and painted) and not an oriental hair style.

Tom O - Belated birthday wishes to your granddaughter.
Sherrel - I have yet to find the GG1 key on my keyboard either.
Lee - That's a nice series of photos from yesterday. Next post. Looking forward to what you do to the reefer.

Well, it's probably time to refresh the ice water circulator for my wife's knee. The frequency of that task is stretching out as well. Good for me!
Everybody have a great day. Today would be Labor Day if August had only 30 days!o_O

Something for Sherrel and other air junkies that I found on "the Tube" while fiddling around. This is a Mark17 Spitfire, of the type that came into service in the very latter part of WW2, with the larger "Griffon" engine, 5 blade prop (there was also one type fitted with twin 3 blade, counter rotating propellors, built for the RN Fleet Arm, I believe).

Interesting. The civil registration (shown under the tail) is from Germany. Has a small German flag and the registration number is D-xxxxx

That was an interesting video. Thanks!

I'm sorry Sir, but only food purchased on the premises may be eaten within, otherwise how will the waitresses earn their tip? (Don't ask Sherrel to answer that)
That bakery was started by some Amish women... You gain five pounds just walking into the shop. Everything is melt-in-your-mouth-goodness.

Mel & Flo need to upgrade their donut game to compete. ;)

Has anyone heard of Silver Streak model kits? I'm thinking bidding on an auction lot of about 40 of them, still unbuilt. The Mrs. asked me who would need to have that many unbuilt kits....of course I said he who dies with the most trains wins...
While I have heard of them for years, I do not own any of their kits. From what I understand they are mainly wood and metal kits, that are sort of like craftsman kits that have many parts to assemble. A late buddy of mine had a few and noted that while the sides were painted, the ends and roofs were not, and the modeler had to match and paint them. He was only speaking of the ones that he had, other kits may be different. All of the ones that I have seen were of older equipment, pre-50's and earlier, primarily wood sided cars. Everyone that I spoke to about them over the years had good compliments about them. It will be interesting to see what you get if you win the auction.

Good morning. It has warmed to 71f degrees in the 2 hours I have been on the deck. Great pictures, good stories and some wonderful looking modeling the last few days. The rains of the last few days in Wisconsin have totally missed us. A slight possibility this afternoon and the brown grass lawns look funny. I have a neighbor who has been picking all the green out of his lawn this past weekend.

The son lives in Austin and it was still 96 when he texted me during the NHL game about 11 last night. Had to tell him that his mom and I are 95% positive our 4 week fall trip to see him this year won’t happen. Normally the last 2 weeks of October and the 2 weeks into November. It is a overnight stay to visit him and return but we haven’t done that since the 1st trip to see him years ago. So many places to see and do on the way to Texas from Wisconsin. The plan this year was to stop at my brothers place 1st at Desert Mountain, Arizona then to Austin. The virus and now my Lymes has really messed this year up.

The picture below is part of the outdoor equipment lines at the National Train Muesum in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Not as great a place as Steamtown or the Illinois Train Museum in Union, Illinois just west of Chicago but still pretty good. If you are a NFL fan a trip to GB and Lambeau field should be on your bucket list. Their Hall of Fame IMO is better then the National Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Remember, I grew up a Bear fan. Have a great day. TomO
6CA10CD2-1348-4EA0-846D-16C110B9411A.jpeg

Howdy everybody.

I’m still not caught up since .. I must be brief again with this post.

Patrick ... You asked about Silver Streak kits. I have been a model railroad person all my life. Many years ago I put together Silver Streak kits. Mostly reefers. I recall it was fun at the time, and I still have a few of them. They are not as well detailed as some of today’s quality fright car models.

Truc Train ... your trucks are interesting.

Wllie... I see you have some piggy back models too. Nice.

Ken ... its been a while since I saw you here. Glad to see you now.

Everybody... Have a good day. I’ll catch up more later.

Good afternoon. Back from the doctor's office from my annual check up.
Another forum I belong to has some, "unusual", people that participate. One of them is terrified of dumping their RV holding tanks becaue they might catch Corona from the fumes around the dumping hole. I'll stop there before this becomes a rant.

Willie thanks for the granddaughter birthday wishes. The sweetest little girl I talked about was more like a 2 year old for about 10 minutes yesterday then poof the sweetest little... was back. Drives her mom nuts! Not me, I remember the daughter being that way.

It is barely raining in Verona, Wi. but my sidewalks and driveway are now fully wet. The picture below is off an original part of the layout now gone. It was an experiment in ballasting and trackwork. Called a chainsaw layout by the folks at MRH and a waste of resources. The photo was by my daughters former business partner and the sky was photoshopped in.
TomO
8986C0ED-FE5C-4BA3-8966-3A1DA8676AB2.jpeg

Good afternoon. Back from the doctor's office from my annual check up.
Another forum I belong to has some, "unusual", people that participate. One of them is terrified of dumping their RV holding tanks becaue they might catch Corona from the fumes around the dumping hole. I'll stop there before this becomes a rant.

NOT trying be political here. That is the exact reason a strong united front is needed. Where do folks get these ideas? At my parents campground on Lake DuBay in Wisconsin in the 70’s and 80’s dad always used a mask of some sort when using the honey wagon when emptying the RV holding tanks, but he never got sick from them. But he didn’t play in the fumes either.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back