Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. Been real busy trying to catch up on the chores that the work fairy didn't get done while I was gone. The lawn was pretty dry but last evening we had a pretty good thunder storm come through. Lost DirecTv for about 30 minutes it was coming down so hard. Ended up with over an inch from that one storm. Was coming down so hard I couldn't see to the end of the driveway. Monday night we did run the air conditioner for only the second time this year buy the fan was more that enough last night. Went from 89 degrees down to 64 in about a half an hour.

Willie - Hoping that everything goes well for your wife and that she's able to use the new knee to help her kick you in the butt. Grin.gif I see that you are moving along well with the new building. Really enjoy the photos you're posting.

Sherrel - Keep that hear down there. Enough has been rolling over the borders that it's hot here also.

Terry - I also heard that about California wanting to tax ex-Californians on their wealth after they left the state. Don't know how they're going to do that.

Joe - Keep those electric commuter cars photos coming. I do really enjoy seeing them.

McLeod - Liked your photos of the trestles. They remind me of the ones on the old Milwaukee Road Northern Division that the Montana Central RR is now running on. We do a number of bowling tournaments in Lewistown, MT and when we do we try to go out for dinner on the Charlie Russell Choo Chew which is run by the Montana Central. That have a number of old Boston & Maine RDC's with the motors removed which they converted for dining. Great food and an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

20a735d3362ba911c6684d3b50522fec.jpg
charlie-russell-chew.jpg
jennifer-is-the-best.jpg

DC 1.jpg

I didn't know that they did knee replacements either, or shoulder replacements. I had my right shoulder replaced last year and now, due to arthritus, it's my good shoulder.

Karl - Enjoyed your photos also.

Garry - Nice bakery photo.

Greg - Nice photos. That SOO locomotive looks great. Hope it runs better than it looks.

Ray - Good video. Now that I am somewhat pissed off at NASCAR I have been watching rally videos. Those drivers are outstanding (until they screw up).

Curt - You are moving right along with the new layout. Ran across your cab ride video on YouTube and it looks like you won't have as long of a mainline run on the new layout.

Better get back to work. Looking like more showers may be possible later today.

Later

I found out California considers you to still be a resident for 18 months after you leave. So, they want income taxes paid to them even after moving away and finding a job in another state.

Attachments

• 377C84B0-7380-4DC6-90E1-A9960938D1B1.png
    377C84B0-7380-4DC6-90E1-A9960938D1B1.png
    553.6 KB · Views: 139
I found out California considers you to still be a resident for 18 months after you leave. So, they want income taxes paid to them even after moving away and finding a job in another state.

If you have registered as a resident of another state (driver's license, prime residence, in-state taxation there, etc) just tell them to go pound sand. I doubt such a determination would stand up to scrutiny of a federal court. I'd still send them a certified or registered letter telling them to go pound sand, and include any documentation to show you had moved your (or your wife's) residence -- license, tax bills, etc. Better to have a lawyer send them the letter and a cease and desist notice.

I note it says "generally presumed to be..." . So, with any sort of evidence, their presumption is invalid. Do you have an actual state law statute that tries to claim this?

Again, IANALAIDPOOTV

Afternoon all. Just got back from a curbside pick-up. I guess we'll try and do a in store trip for some non-perishables in case one of the storms wants to vacation along the Texas coast.
As usual, some great photos from you guys.
Did manage a hour or so running some trains yesterday. Need to put track cleaning on the to-do list.

STAY SAFE

Later

Good Afternoon Everyone...sunny and the temperature is in the mid 80's and sunny.

Spend several hours in the layout room. That Masonite track cleaning car will still derail at times. I changed out the couplers and thought that might cure the problem, but no luck. No binding of he wheel sets either.

Terry: If I left California I would say "Catch me if you can" when it comes to taxes after I live elsewhere. My Sister in Law has a weekend home in La Jolla and two other rental properties and comments on the silly rules that California has enacted.

Worked on the railroad wiring the warning beacon on the water tower and its basically near completion, but I got tired moving around under the layout on my mechanics chair and pulling myself up to the level of the layout. I ran a track cleaning train into the Pine River yard and I admit the yard is a bit confusing, but once an Engineer drops or picks up a few cars the logic of the yard becomes apparent. The yard is located within the loop of the mainline and if I re-did he yard, I would locate it along the edge of the layout.

Chet: That SOO locomotive is a sweet runner in-spite of its appearance. It's a older Proto 2000 GP38 - 2 that I forgot I had in my storage area. I added a Digitrax decoder and did the weathering with oils, PAn Pastels and acrylic paint. Its sister locomotive is less weathered, but it's also ready for the paint shop.

Ray & Chet: As big fan I am of the Packers, I don't plan on watching. Maybe I'll listen to the games on the radio while I work on the layout. Price of tickets to help pay for the players' salaries, no way. Same for baseball and the Milwaukee Brewers after seeing Dodger Mookie Betts with his $365,000,000 guaranteed contract and he can't stand for the National Anthem on opening day.

Willie: You're right about me starting my layout expansion in the Packer/Bar room. I just casually brought it up and that was a huge mistake.

Next week I'll work on two remaining non-scenic areas on the layout.

Leaving early tomorrow early for the cabin. Construction on I-41 has traffic down to one lane and in places 55 mph. On Fridays the crews open most of the highway to two lanes. Its a long distance of 22 miles of new pavement and cross over wire fencing being installed.

Stay tuned....

Greg

#####################

IMG_0401-1.JPG
Weathered Walthers ACL box car.-Greg

RDG #9132 @ Manayunk (Philadelphia) 8-19-1967 ...H Smith.jpg
Take a Ride on the Reading next stop, Manayunk...8-19-20 H. Smith Photo manayunk is within the Corporate Limits of Philadelphia.

Conrail Passenger power Chicago -  8-19-1977 - W. Wilcox.jpg

Yes, Virginia, Conrail did run passenger trains. Power for the Chicago - Valparaiso Local(s) heads for Chicago Union station, 8-19-1977. W. Wilcox Photo

I was officially discharged from Physical Therapy after today's session. I do have a regimen of 3x / week exercises to do at home, to maintain strength, and prepare my right leg for the next round of knee replacement. However, the outline, is rather easy to accomplish in about 30 minutes.

Willie: Great results for the missus. I suspected that the new joint makes my left leg longer than the right. Interesting what we learn as we age, and have these procedures Hope her recovery is speedy.

Looks like a BMW M3. I owned one of those 3 series (NOT the M3). Fun to drive but quite the money pit when it came to keeping it maintained.
A mish mash of shots from over several eras by the look of it. There was one thing about it then. If there wasn't any hay bales or barriers to stop you, there were usually a number of nice soft spectators to absorb the crash.

Last edited:
Good morning y'all. 68° and sunny. Going to 85° Today is unusual, in that there are no appointments, nor commitments for the day.;)

Willie, How is the patient doing the morning after? Hopefully, she is comfortable,, and not hurting too much.

Work Train 1957 Wheeling WVA.jpg

B&O, Wheeling WVA, 1957. Work train on Passenger station lead. This is a scene that, if modeled, no one would believe was based on reality. All but the station building are gone now.

Good Morning All. Clear, cool at 67°, still staying in the low 90's later today. I know that it was a bit cooler earlier this week, but 67° in August is awesome for here. Set the A/C timer for midnight and open the windows on the first bathroom break.
Once again, my wife thanks everyone for their well wishes and support for her knee replacement surgery yesterday, even Sherrel who she has actually met! Just kidding buddy.;) In case you missed yesterday's late post, everything went well but all involved were behind schedule because the doctor had issues with his previous patient. They actually called me with a pickup time that turned out to be premature, and I didn't get the follow up call until I had just walked in their door. They did let me in and wait in the recovery room with a pretty nurse who was quite happy to be drawing overtime.
Meanwhile earlier in the day I made the grocery/beer trek after having dropped my wife off at the clinic. After that I discovered that two other places on my "go to" list weren't going to open until 10:00 and I was done at the empty grocery store by 8:00. Frozen food in the cooler might have started thawing and besides I couldn't find an open speakeasy yet. Home I went to wait.

A pile of sausage patties and two sunny side up eggs today, Flo. No toast but a big glass of OJ. Wait, I better have toast with those sunny side up eggs!

Thanks for the comments and likes on the layout progress report yesterday; Jerome, Patrick, Karl, Sherrel, Guy, Tom O, James Garry, Chad, Louis, Lee, Curt, Chet, Hughie, Phil.

Had a really short visit to the train shed yesterday. Painted the warehouse and temporarily set it on its foundation to see how it fit.
08-20-20 010.JPG

08-20-20 011.JPG

Patrick - I have 29 cousins in all, and he was the first cousin of mine to pass away. I am the first born grandchild in both of my parents families and I am the oldest in my generation. I have 29 cousins in all.
Sherrel - Your comment about moving a drugstore was funny. It rings true over here as well. Not counting any painkillers, which are kept by her side, I have to fill a small plastic cup with 21 assorted vitamins, supplements and prescription pills for my wife each day. These are just her everyday items, not counting some extras that I get sent to the cupboard for. I have a list to go by. Fortunately she knows what each one is by sight so I don't have to ID them. Hell! I do good to remember which of my own bottles to take whenever! Heaven forbid if the shelf gets upset.
Guy - Joint replacements have become rather common here in the states. I got to know a lot about them about 16-18 years ago when a coworker had knee replacement surgery. Been trying to convince my wife for over ten years to get this done. Finally one day she was in such great pain that she went to an orthopedist and she had the first one done in less than three weeks from that visit. In her case, there was no cartilage left to cushion the bone to bone action. Don't remember what that is called.
Basically, they cut out the knee and parts of adjoining bones and screw in a titanium replacement joint.
Interesting side note. The first time around I asked the doctor what they did with the discarded original bones. He told me that they used to give them to medical schools for study; but they had so many now that they just kept a little dog in the operating room to take care of them.
Curt -
After that I finished building the RH (finally). I fiddled with the doors for 30 minutes before giving up. It's really a poor design for attaching them. In fact I did not have them on the last RH I built. I also notice that the roof pieces are flimsier than before and will probably need some weight glued on them (on the inside).
It's sometimes quite frustrating to build Walther's models in my opinion. Unfortunately they are one of very few manufacturers that actually offer "pike-sized" structures for the modeling hobbyist. Some of their stuff really looks good when you can get past the issues.
Joe - Yes, my wife's left leg has been about 1.25" longer since she had her first surgery! Now they're equal. She is still 4" taller than I am! But as they say, when short man dances with a tall woman, he gets a bust in the mouth.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning, Everyone.
Awoke very early this fine morning with the wife telling me I have a free day, so I was looking forward to some time in the modeling room. Then on her way out the door to work at 6:00am, she dropped the list of things need done on me. So, lets just call this 'Handy-man Day'.

53 degrees this morning, heading up to somewhere in the 70's; so it's a twin of yesterday. The promised rain did not come, putting lawn care on the list.

Chet - Very nice, savable photo of the trestle to put in the file. At first, I thought it looked flimsy; if one studies the photo, though, you can see where the strength is engineered into the design.
Boris - I like the photo. The angle it was taken fits the scene very well.

they had so many now that they just kept a little dog in the operating room to take care of them.
That gave me a very hardy chuckle! Well done!

I don't have any train photos, and I don't have any modeling photos left that arn't very close to what you've already seen. So I'm going to show you a pretty girl photo that I took the other day. I like this photo of a young mother on the run, caught at a good moment in time:
08-17-2020_Maze.jpg

I think it is a cool photo; and she's a pretty girl.

Have a good one!

Howdy ....

WIllie .... I'm glad your wife's surgery went well. Your background warehouse will look good.

Joe .... The picture of B&O in Wheeling in 1957 is remarkable. I'm guessing that is a 2-10-2 based on the tender which looks like the one on a common Rivarossi model. I like the Reading electrics and the ConRail Geeps also.

Curt ... The roundhouse will look good.

Chet .... I am envious because I would like to ride that dinner train as you do.

Greg .... I like your weathered ACL boxcar. Also, I saw your ore cars the day before, and liked the picture. I have a train of ore cars on my layout.

Guy ..... Do you wish you were the little boy? 🤔 ..... I like the pictures of the large trestle.

Everybody ..... Have a nice Friday.

46029880222_23862246d3_h.jpg

Willie, How is the patient doing the morning after? Hopefully, she is comfortable,, and not hurting too much.
Thanks for asking. She's doing quite well this morning. She slept well all night. I watched her move about this morning and less than 24 hours after the replacement surgery, she is doing a whole lot better than she was a week later on the first knee. I suspect that this time around, the walker will be ditched in less than a week; last time the doctor ordered her to dump it after 3 1/3 weeks. I didn't think that she needed it much past 10 days, but I wasn't going to take it away from her. This time around, she is taking all of the pain pills as the doctor prescribed instead of trying to "tough it out". For now, I am staying out of the way on her jigsaw puzzle so she won't try to kick me!:cool:

Guy ..... Do you wish you were the little boy? 🤔
The truth is that it would only be for a selfish, fleeting temporary interest. That poor girl is cursed with beauty; every hound-dog in the city is trying to rub up onto her leg. I prefer my women in the plain Jane style, so I don't have to hire lawyers and loose my home. There will always be someone taller and more handsome than me out there, and they don't seem to have a conscience when it comes to another man's wife.

Just sayin!

Afternoon All,

Didn't accomplish much of anything today...call it a mental health day. Tomorrow I will probably get started on the TT storage tracks. We just went through our daily torrential downpour.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Chet- Neat bridge. It looks like one of the ME bridges. Not sure whether the new mainline is shorter, but I believe it will be close.

Greg- Really nice job on the weathering.

Joe- Nice pictures.

Garry- Thank you. Nice motive power photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back