Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1597180521380.png

TOM - that dog sniffing the ground cracked me up with the action of his nose.
Cartoons back then were/are so much better that the "stuff" thay have today.

LOUIS I know you are a beagle man -- When I was in H/S, I used to deer hunt with my GF's father who had about 10 of them. Was music to my ears to hear them on the trail of a deer. They were great to hunt with because they did not run the deer to death - too see them climbing/going under a log was a real hoot!

Rounding them all up in the dark was a chore - fortunately most of them stuck pretty close together.

Good evening, y'all. I actually ventured into the train room to see what sort of damage i could cause. I decided to take my paired Bachmann Baldwin RF-16 "Sharks" and see if they still ran. ...They did, quite well. They are pretty much out of box, although I replaced the OEM decoders with NCE decoders when I bought them. Somewhere, I have the Cal scale details to upgrade them...I also need to replace the couplers with Scale Kadee variants.
RF16 on Connecting Track.jpeg

Did anyone read the article on incorporating a digital craft cutter as a tool for scratch building structures etc. in the September 2020 Model Railroader? has anyone used one of these in the hobby? The author used one to help him model blocks of Workingman's Row Houses, as part of his model railroad. These homes were built in most large and small cities along the East Coast during the Industrial Age. Myinterest in them was rekindled after reading an After Action report on the circumstance of a fatal house fire two years ago. The report included numerous graphics of interior and exterior construction of a house on a block built between 1880 and 1888.

I would be curious to read one from the recent Northwest Baltimore explosion to compare with the one I have. These houses were constructed with obvious flaws and sometimes substandard materials, and still managed to remain viable for up to 140 years...amazing.

Curt: Think the roundhouse walls will turn out fine.

Willie: The "concrete" road will look good when you finish it.

I'm trying to get back into the routine, meanwhile we had another surprise thunder storm, that supposedly dumped 1.43" of rain on us in about 30"
The ground (sandy) certainly didn't look that wet, although the garbage can, which I left open to dry, was quite full, so I don't know? Next closest weather station only reported 0.15" . There are still numerous locations without power from last weeks storm. Great work JCP&L.

August 11, 1965 @ Radnor, PA.jpg

Two car "Paoli Local" approaches Radnor, PA station on August 11, 1965. Note the sinking platform brick work at the borrom of the photo where the platform transitions from timber to brick. Note the variation of the fencing also.

Morning all,

Not much going on yet here. I think I finally got everything caught up from my 10 weeks of reduced hours. I'm still waiting on our new host servers which were supposed to be here mid-June. At least they show as "In Progress" with the manufacturer, whatever that means. 26 new desktops are supposed to show in the next couple of days. At least our computer tech will be busy when he returns from baby leave.

Not much at home last night. We watched the grand kids for a few hours and went to bed after they left. Sad thing about getting up at 4:00a is that you go to bed so darn early.

Good Morning All. Out west here in Texas, it's clear and 80°. Heat advisory for this afternoon; temperature is supposed to be 103° and heat index of 110°. It's a dry heat, so no issues!:eek: Pool will feel good even though the water has been 88° in the afternoons.

Light breakfast today Flo, just a few strips of bacon and an English Muffin for me.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the museum pictures and the road progress yesterday; Jerome, Karl, Patrick, Guy, Tom O, James, Chad, Sherrel, Phil, Curt, Louis, Tom, Joe.

Out in the train shed, the A/C worked overtime. I finished fastening down the track in the piggyback facility and wired the feeders into the power source. I then started testing the track before I ballast (in a couple of weeks). Ran into an issue with two cars derailing, while backing through the wye switch from the passing siding to the piggyback spur. The lighting isn't too good at that particular location (haven't installed all of the under-deck fixtures yet), but I believe that the point rails are not completely flush with the stock rail and the wheels are "picking the switch". It was too late in the evening to dig out the desk lamp and attempt any further diagnosis. Those 89' lightweight flatcars are rather finicky about trackwork to begin with. Other than adding more weight, I have already fine-tuned them all pretty well.
Over on the other end of the yard, I began to add ground cover next to the already existing scene.
No home layout pictures today as yesterday's progress wasn't too photogenic.
Meanwhile I have a few more museum shots that I didn't post last year for your enjoyment today.
Here are some from their N scale layout.
09-27-19 trip 018.JPG

09-27-19 trip 019.JPG

09-27-19 trip 020.JPG

09-27-19 trip 021.JPG

Joe - I read that article about the digital craft cutter. The author did some interesting work with it. That could be a useful tool for someone modeling a big eastern city.
Patrick -
Sad thing about getting up at 4:00a is that you go to bed so darn early.
Tell me about it! I did it for 43 years. But since I stopped watching TV in the early 90's, I wasn't really missing much! Five years after retirement, I still get up around 4:30 am without an alarm.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning, Everyone!
I find it very comfortable as I type this message wearing shorts, 47F right now. Supposed to reach 60 later in the afternoon. There was an active rain storm pass through during the last evening, that filled up all our many rain barrels. The wife is happy!
Having a toasted steak sandwich with onion-n-cheese this fine morning, and keep the coffee coming until I put my hand over the cup, please.

Sherrel - I believe you are 'flamed-out' due to that near triple digit heat. Feel sorry for you; too bad you weren't on a holiday up here where it's comfortable. We have the room to put you and the wife up, and there are very few mosquito's this year. I'm enjoying this years summer.
Tom - Nice sunset; it looks like those clouds might be up to something, though. Or does that 'Red sky at night, Sailors delight' come true.
Willie - I would rather watch a good Bugs-Bunny Hour, than watch some bull#@*% reality show on tv. So yes, I still watch cartoons, too. - I like that N-scale layout you've shown us, and I can appreciate the work that went into it; but, it is still a so-so layout, isn't it? Looks like a layout that would be great for children to play with.

Yesterday, I was uncomfortable with being cooped up in the house, so I went for a long walk down the hill by the tracks. Glad I did; I found a couple of SD40-2W's sitting quiet and all alone on a siding. The photo is similar to yard photos I've posted before, but, I took this pic yesterday:
Post2_08-12-2020.jpg

I spent some time taking photos of this old, weathered SD-40; frankly, I kinda like him:
Post3_08-12-2020 (1).jpg

Post3_08-12-2020 (2).jpg

Post3_08-12-2020 (3).jpg

Then, I was offered a treat when this Sperry MOW unit happened by. I believe this unit can measure defects in the track somehow. The operator was driving real slow when it went past:
Post_08-12-2020.jpg

In modeling, I did manage to cut and install the blister-pack windows on my Atlas market. I splashed white paint onto the interior walls; and I mean sloppy, but it only has to be white. It will never be seen well. I just wanted to lose the plastic red brick color.

Well, that's all I have for today! Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back