Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
WILLIE - On your gas station that you posted a couple days back -- make a lift for one side and have the car up on it with a guy changing oil or something?

ALAN - loved the layout photos. That is some awesome detail and the trestle/bridges are WOW's!

TomO, Espee & Greg- stay safe with this line of storms headed your way. My buddy in Ames area shared a text message from Story Co. DEM, urging people to stay home & off the roads, so that the responders can do their jobs to clean up & keep the roads clear.

Afternoon All,

Today I sprayed the RH parts with a flat clear spray (painted parts yesterday) then added mortar between the bricks using craft grey and Tamiya flat white mix and diluted with water. I brushed it on heavily with a brush then wiped off the excess with a damp lint free cloth (old T-shirt). After it dried I sprayed it again with a flat clear spray. After that I highlighted individual bricks with different colors. I'm about halfway done with that step. I'll post pictures tomorrow when it's complete.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Karl- I'm glad you're feeling better.

Tom- Nice job on the hoppers.

Alan- Interesting project.

Patrick- That should be a nice kit to build.

Willie- I did something similar when I built 4 TOFC cars with Evergreen products. Nice club photos.

TomO- Great layout scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

TomO, Espee & Greg- stay safe with this line of storms headed your way. My buddy in Ames area shared a text message from Story Co. DEM, urging people to stay home & off the roads, so that the responders can do their jobs to clean up & keep the roads clear.

Thanks Mike, I'm watching the radar and following the storm(s) progress across Wisconsin. Getting darker here as the storm approach.
Did you get any rain in your area of Wisconsin??? The area around the cabin between Wautoma and Waupaca is short of rain.

Later......

Greg

################

Greg and Mikeinhubcity

Verona, Wi. was mid 80’s 2 hours ago, 1st storm with loads of thunder but not much rain. 78f degrees as 2Nd storm runs through, loads of thunder some seeable lightning with higher winds again not much rain. Per radar we are at 3:06 pm almost out of the severe weather and it is very just after sunset dark out, some winds and 82 but it doesn’t feel as humid, more refreshing like. My sister and wife are in my cave, lower level of the house watching something about Frank Sinatra. I am at the modeling bench having just cleaned the spray booth and plotting my next move.

TomO

Storm blew thru fairly quick then settled into a nice steady rain.
A few branches down not a lot else that I saw. No water in the basement tho which is good. The drive home was slow had to see. Seems like there faso way to is some idiot that has to go 15 mph over the speed limit.

Mike

1597098214733.png

To update on my experience with Win10's latest major mess. After using the revised OS last night for a while, on trying to boot up this morning it died twice while doing so. Waited and waited both times after it had gone through part way and could hear the machine fail the attempts. Eventually it succeeded on the 3rd, slowly and jerkily, only some noise of the machine still working, made me persist. Can these "B's" get anything right.

Good evening y'all. Busy day, with another one looking at me tomorrow.

There are still folks around here without power...and it was a humid 93 today. Didn't notice the 2020 earthquake. I thought the house would collapse during the 2011 quake which was centered in Harrisonburg, VA. I can deal with Tropical Storms, but not earthquakes.

Have not had time to work on or run the model railroad.

Baltimore MD Truck 1 1918 Mack.jpg

1918 Mack Aerial...Baltimore FD.
Lansdale, PA 8-10-1968.jpg

Taking a ride on the Reading, August 10 1968 at Lansdale, PA on the Bethlehem Branch

I am so far behind in the forum, it will take me a while to catch up. BTW, since the power came back, I lost the printer. Still prints, but takes forever, with no on screen communication. Not sure if the update had anything to do with this, OTOH, the power outage didn't alter the code. I hate Win 10

No coffee for me Flo. I'm settling down for the night. How about a nice warm milk, and a chocolate chip cookie?

Evening all. Had a heckin' stressful day today. A wild storm blew through my sister-in-laws town and caused a massive power outage. This led to the house flooding. So, we had to take in her and her three dogs until morning to inspect the damage and get her set up with candles and lanterns. We're not expecting the power to be back on for a couple of days.

To calm down and relax once I got home and everything settled, I gave myself some modelling therapy. First with applying decals to my tank car project, then capping it off with some dull coat.

IMG_3699.JPG

Apologies to those who have posted above me. I will read back since my last post and make an acknowledgment post tomorrow. I just wanted to post this image tonight while I have easy access to the file.

Good night all!

Good day all....going to be another hot one here on the left coast. If you recall the pic I posted a couple of weeks ago of the Caldwell fire, it's now over 94% contained, not far from being out altogether. Here is another shot that direction, this time with storm cells creeping up out of Californy looking to do more damage......There were six cells altogether, one more to the far right and two more to the far left....
Everybody be safe out there.....
IMG_20200807_165239159.jpg

Morning all,

Not much to report this morning. Thunder and lightning a good part of this early morning but no rain at all. Waste of a good lightning storm.

Nothing on the trains as I got home late due to actually having to wait for 2 really long trains. One headed southbound that took 15 minutes to clear the tracks by the office and then a northbound that must have been waiting for the southbound to clear that caught me close to home. The line I cross has 2 lines that converge into a single line for the crossing by home and then about 200 yards splits back into 2 tracks, which is then 2 tracks the remainder of the way south.

The dog had a sick cat cornered in the window well cover last night. I have a 3 foot high fence (one of those aluminium garden type) around the escape window well to keep the dog and grand kids from falling into it along with 1/2" mesh so I don't have other small animals in there either. Cat was on top of the mesh and looked like it couldn't move. Of course animal control stops working at 4:30, so I didn't think it would survive the night. I went to see if it had died this morning and it had gone overnight. No where else in the yard and the dog didn't find it, although she does chase the rabbits in the yard. She'll catch the young ones on occasion, but she's old enough the adults can outrun her. She's a beagle mix about 12 years old.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 80°. The partly cloudy made Perseid meteor watching impossible this morning in this part of the world. I'll try again tomorrow. Despite the weatherman's predictions, it only made it up to 96° yesterday. Still have triple digits in the forecast for the next three days. Haven't hit that mark yet this year; our average is actually 18 days a year of 100°+. By comparison, in 2011 we had 71 days! My personal record here is 113° for a couple of days in June 2018, as well as a few days in 1980. But it is tolerable for a few minutes, like going out to the pool or the train shed.
Spent the day yesterday doctor/clinic hopping in advance of wife's upcoming knee replacement surgery. Vascular study and orthopedist yesterday, chest X-ray today. So far all things are "go". Meeting SIL after the chest X-ray today to retrieve our granddaughter. Looking forward to her visit until Friday at least, maybe longer if my wife doesn't go nuts! I am absolutely sure that my daughter and SIL will go out for drinks (outdoor bar) tonight. Her normal babysitter is still under Covid quarantine after testing positive a couple of weeks ago. Mild symptoms for her thankfully.

Sausage patties and over easy eggs this morning Francine. Large OJ to wash everything down with.

Thanks for the likes (reactions) and comments regarding yesterday's slight progress pictures and the remembrances of my museum visit; Jerome, Patrick, Sherrel, Karl, Chad, Guy, Tom O, Chet, Curt, Tom, Justin, Phil, Joe.

I didn't get a lot of train time in the train shed yesterday. I did a little bit of work on the paved road , not my best effort but I'll look at it some more before deciding whether or not to do something additional.
08-11-20 003.JPG

All I did was paint the plywood surface with a concrete colored paint and applied stripes. The stripes are made from chart tape. I didn't stay within the lines too well, but ground cover will eventually take care of that.
I added two sets of feeders to the yard as well. While I don't anticipate running engines too far on to the spur, I tend to "overkill" on feeders a lot. Cheap insurance! :cool:
How about a few more shots from the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum.
09-27-19 trip 005.JPG
09-27-19 trip 006.JPG

09-27-19 trip 007.JPG

Looks like a little upkeep is needed to upright that tank.
09-27-19 trip 008.JPG

This is just one of several HO scale layouts in the museum. They also have N scale, Lionel O gauge, Lego layouts, G scale, and several larger outdoor (ride 'em) RR's.
I will not be returning there this year as our vacation plans will take us to the Texas Gulf Coast instead, if we travel at all. Covid abatement and surgery recovery will influence those plans.

Guy - Most of my Atlas structures are a tiny bit undersized in scale. That's why I don't normally use them up front. I also have that Atlas figure set and I cut the pedestal off the figures when I finally add them to the layout. I really admire your brickwork.
I have many more museum pictures from my vacation trips. Interesting that Mississippi has so many of them. There's another in Jackson and a third one in Vicksburg, that we regularly visit. There may be more, but these are all within spitting distance of the Interstate highways that we travel on.
Sherrel -
WILLIE - On your gas station that you posted a couple days back -- make a lift for one side and have the car up on it with a guy changing oil or something?
I am saving that project for your next visit! Thanks for your kind offer.
Joe - I like that parking brake on the fire truck!

Wow! Never thought about the fact that so many of you guys were concentrated in yesterday's severe storm area; Mike, Mike, Greg, Tom O, Bunker. Glad to read that everyone is safe.

Today is National Presidential Joke Day. I'll leave it at that for fear of raising Bob's ire.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning from currently cool at 64f degrees So. Central Wisconsin. How we missed the severe storms yesterday I just don’t understand. A mile in any direction around us had power out,, flooding, hail damage, high wind damage or lots of rain. I looked at radar yesterday and saw how terrible radar indicated we were getting it, but thankfully we weren’t. The rain we got wasn’t enough but at least we got some. My daughter at almost 3 miles to the west of us got almost 2” where my gauges didn’t even show a quarter of an inch.

The plan is to spend some time in the train room and build back the lost excitement of being in there. I want to thank all those who share here. It’s not just the photos, that I love, but a feeling of community here. Have a great day.

TomO

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours working on the RH walls and for better or worse they're ready for assembly. I tried painting separate bricks to give the impression of different color bricks. I'm not sure I like it but it is what it is.

Louis- Nice photo.

Joe- Interesting photos.

Bunker- Nice decaling. I hope your SIL regains power quickly.

Willie- Your street looks fine to me. More nice club photos.

Dark Brown to cover up original red color.
20200810_101130.jpg

Homemade mortar wash.
20200810_121322.jpg

Painted bricks.
20200810_144741.jpg

Painted concrete trim, applied 2.5% A&I, Gray then Black weathering powder.
20200811_131814.jpg

After every step I sprayed a clear flat spray. All the paint and powders I have used on the project so far.
20200811_131822.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back