Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we moved to Central Wisconsin in 1976 Rib Mountain, outside of Wausau was considered the highest point. Then GPS came along and the argument about Rib Mountain now at 1942’ or Timms Hill now at 1951’ was put to rest with Timm Hill winning out. A big advertising deal for surrounding communities.
View attachment 115938
TomO
And the residents of Rib Mountain flatly refuse to recognise it and join the rest of featureless Central Wisconsin.

Willie: Living close to Milwaukee, I often was down by the Beer Line area of town. Lots of switching in its hey day.

Milwaukee was a brewery town with Pabst, Miller, Blatz, Gettleman and Schlitz beer being brewed in town. The breweries had tours and after the tour the visitors were served a light snack and at the most two beers. When money was short we used to visit the brewery tours and get the free beer and lunch. If we were lucky, we could visit five or more breweries (some more than once) in a single day.

Greg
Greg- We’ve done the Miller Valley tour a couple of times(my 2nd visit to WI- got RT airfare for less than what it would cost to drive one way from South Jersey & after dropping Mom off at MKE after her 1st visit). If Coors in Golden is ADA-friendly, we might do that tour if we go to Denver for a Dodgers series next year.

Evening, got my DCC system in the mail today. Got some reading to do. Cooled off nice tonight with low humidity. Nice night for a fire.
IMG_3539.jpg

Good early morning everyone! Having trouble sleeping, so I'm up working on train projects and looking at old pictures from over a decade ago.

First up, the GP9 project has hit a small, non-insurmountable snag that has caused me to shelve it for awhile. Long story short, I want it to have an accurate horn and Shapeways has a heck of a wait time due to Covid, so I have to wait until probably September for it to arrive.

In the mean time, I turned my attention to some rolling stock in need of some TLC. I chose an old Atlas tank car painted as "Jack Frost Cane Sugar". It has faded paint and missing side ladders so it made a good candidate. While I have an annoying urge to keep my collection curated to painfully accurate eras and equipment, I couldn't resist adding some whimsy to my collection. Whoever gets the reference gets a high five!
IMG_3696.JPG

BBBXtanker73027.png

Finally, I am curious if anyone can help me identify a locomotive. I don't have this model anymore. I unfortunately sold it over a decade ago, however I inexplicably find myself thinking about it now and again, and I am curious if it's somebody's kronenbourg kitbash, or if it's a real thing. If so, I want to see if I can find myself one, for nostalgia purposes. I don't know why. It was a non-runner, and an ugly little thing, but I have a soft spot for nasty little direct drive diesel locomotives. Any identification help would be appreciated!
100_6002.JPG
100_6001.JPG

Alrighty, I'm going to attempt to go to sleep once again. Have a good night, all!

Happy Saturday all! I went to the club Thursday night and tested what I have completed of the Overland so far. Needs work! Those Athearn coaches all need the McHenry's replaced, and I need to finish the 3/4 dome, and the diner and the coffee shop car, the 10-6 looks good though if I do say so myself! Not as much work (or money!) is going onto this train, as I already had most of the cars, and most of them were painted. This is it so far:

Good Morning All. Clear and 76° on this fine morning. I survived International Beer Day yesterday, so I'll have to celebrate again today. Too many household chores yesterday which cut into train modeling time. Then of course there was the back porch step. Got it removed.
08-08-20 002.JPG

Even though the risers seemed to be in good shape, I chose to replace them as well.
08-08-20 003.JPG

Wife and I both stood on it at the same time and it didn't collapse so it's a keeper.

Let me have a big bowl of Cheerios and a tall OJ this morning Flo.

Many thanks for the comments and reactions regarding the service station photos yesterday; Jerome, Guy, Patrick, Mopac, Justin, Chad, Sherrel, James, Tom O, Hughie, Phil, Curt, Garry, Dave, Tom, Louis.

Very limited time in the train shed yesterday. About all that I did out there was to assemble the fencing that came with the Piggyback Ramp kit.
08-08-20 001.JPG

That's all that was included. I am going through my extra parts boxes to see if I have something similar from one of their other kits. If not I will give them a call Monday to inquire about availability. There's 30" there, I need about 15" more.
Not in the train shed, but modeling related, I cut the 1" x 4" pieces for the expanded benchwork while I had the saw out. Since it's still out there on the sawhorses, I'll cut the plywood today and hopefully begin assembly.
While I am showing off gas stations, here's another one that doesn't yet have a permanent home. It's slated to go in an area near my yet to be built ethanol facility.
07-12-18 118.JPG

This is a laser cut kit from JL Innovative. These are all "in process" photos, a little touch up paint was done after these were taken.
Here's a shot of the inside.
07-12-18 112.JPG

The back bay entrance.
07-12-18 110.JPG

Customer being served out front, no self service yet.
07-12-18 108.JPG

Amenities.
07-12-18 114.JPG

Guy -
yep, I'm usually a tight-wad.
I have always had access to two LHS's that are both discounters. The now closed one that I patronized for years until the owner retired and the current one that is near my grandkids homes. They both offer[ed] everything at 20% off MSRP which makes purchases more tolerable. I stocked up heavily before I retired.
Greg - I also like the architecture in small rural towns that resemble the DPM structures. I should remember to bring my camera along with me when I visit some of the nearby ones. In larger cities here in Texas, it's a mixed bag. In Dallas and Houston, they knock them down and build from the ground up. In Ft Worth, San Antonio and parts of Austin, they leave them there and reuse them. Out west in and near El Paso, they're mostly old Spanish style structures.
Hughie -
One of the things I miss living in this part of TX is those great hilly country roads.
A nice drive almost in your part of Texas is highway 281 going north out of San Antonio through the Hill Country. I always use it when visiting my son in San Antonio even though it takes an hour longer. Of course you would have to drive 200 miles from Houston to get there! My wife prefers that we use TX 130 where the posted speed limit is 85 mph. We know from a local state highway trooper (lives up the road and my wife does his taxes), that they routinely allow 11 mph over the limit before stopping you for a warning. 18 mph over usually gets you a ticket.
Sherrel - How's Kate doing?

Speaking of tight wads, my wife who is normally very astute about pricing, was looking at the restaurant receipt from our meal last Sunday and realized that her 9 oz glass of wine cost the same as a whole bottle (of the same brand) that we get at the grocery store. Works out to about 2.7 times mark up. She was shocked! I pointed out that my two 22 oz draft beers combined were less than her glass of wine!

Today is National Bowling Day. I wonder what Chet is doing tonight?

Everyone have a great Saturday and a wonderful weekend. Stay safe and wear your mask where needed. I am late taking the granddog for a walk and then jumping into the pool. Don't need a mask for either. :)

Good Morning! It was a bit cool at 49F when I woke up this morning. I suppose I was getting used to the summertime heat before the plug was pulled. Anyway, I'm having a coffee along with a toasted sausage-n-cheese. Sure is quiet around town, this morning.

Yesterday, I found some time to mess around with the market. I was going to plank the top above the awning, but, when I held some sticks there, it just didn't bite me. So, I added some texture to hide the plastic look instead. Used Dap 'Stucco Patch'. I think it looks ok:
BlueTop_08-08-2020 (1).JPG

That front wall is near done, and I'm going to proceed with finishing up the other walls and putting it all together.

Mostly a hit-n-run post today, as I have things to do. Have a great day, Everyone!

Good morning from beautiful windy going to be warm at 85 So. Central Wisconsin.

Willie: we use the tollway Texas 130 when we go see the son in Austin. I don’t seem to have an issue driving the 85 plus my normal 6 over. It is the crazy who flies by me like I am standing still that bothers me on that road. My son now has a house in Hornsby Bend about a mile from where Tesla is building. He does prefer the Hill Country around Wimberly and says he has been getting real estate folks knocking on his door with cash, supposedly, to sell now. Nothing cheap in that area except the property Tesla stole/purchase.

have a great day
TomO

Morning still out here - Stayed up too late last night watching a couple of movies with the "boss", but did manage to sleep in until the pups just finally decided they better check and see if I was still alive!

Francine -- Good morning to you - I'll just have a BLT with tomato, avocado, and extra bacon today and a coke to drink, please.

Y'all an't gonna believe this, but I cannot undo that bold above. No matter what I do it is still BOLD!
Finally was able to get back to normal, but still cannot change the BOLD "yelling' at Francine.

It is starting to warm up again here - supposed to be 87 today and going higher the next couple days. Yesterday's 83 was pretty awesome - It was the Spousal Units birthday (she doesn't want me to say how many) so I spent the day with her doing "her" things. She was pretty impressed that I did not find a single thing to "fuss" at her about.
She is pretty bad about leaving all her "messings" scattered about - and as she is doing so well with her NEW eating habits - I just picked up behind her and didn't say nada!

Nothing new on the train front ... I've decided to start selling some stuff that I know I will never use ... and some tools and such too! I may just wind up with one of the three-car garage bays for a circle of O Scale track and a small switching yard.

Willie .. Kate is doing really good .. Still getting used to her "intake" of a single "shotglass" either scrambled egg, or cream of wheat, or a liquid concoction of some sort of protein drink - that's it folks for 4 times a day. This next week she can have a small piece of fish - two ozs only at a time. So far she says that she is not hungry afterwards and feels "full". I have to admire her - she is determined to follow the rules (she has too, or it will cause her all kinds of trouble)
She had a rough two days in the hospital after the surgery caused by the CO2 used during the surgery causing her all kind of pressure pains until it was finally expelled. Her positive outlook and humour have returned and she is looking forward to being able to do "normal" things once more.
In the meantime I am still trying to "fix" her garden area - have a couple of stumps to get rid of - three/four inches in diameter but in an awkward place to dig around. I'm struggling, LOL!

GUY - Building looks good!

Garry - Glad to hear that you are pleased with the eye surgery. I am going to have to do that somewhere down the road. Just not looking forward to ANYTHING medical - - again!

Willie, Hughie -- The wife and I really enjoyed the WW2 museum in Fredericksburg. I think I would like to live somewhere around there - maybe NW towards Mason? I need to get her used to the idea; she is favouring Idaho -
Says she wants seasons and scenery - not in town!

Good Morning Everyone.....nice day here in Wisconsin, but rain is needed.

Speaking of my planned expansion of the CM&N I think that I'll model late spring for something different. I like the way Mike Confalone's Allagash layout looks with bare trees, brown grass and piles of leftover snow. Just a different approach. I think that I'll also go with PECO turnouts to allow manual throwing the turnouts and not have the extra expense of turnout motors, wiring and controls.

And the residents of Rib Mountain flatly refuse to recognize it and join the rest of featureless Central Wisconsin.

Toot: My cabin is in Central Wisconsin and this area is blend of interesting land features. Our cabin is in the area called sand country because of all the sand that the glaciers deposited along with huge boulders that rolled with the glacier movements. The terrain is rolling and to the west flat land and then the towering buffs of the Wisconsin River begin. East of our cabin 14 miles or so, you'll find an area that is flat and once a lake. The is a sharp cut off of the glacier areas ad the non-glaciated areas. The soil is a clay/sand mix and is call Poy Soils.

Today, I'll run some trains and make a brake for the incline on a siding on the CM&N. The brake was in an article by Gerry Leone in MR and looks easy to build. My sliding is only a <1% grade, but my rolling stock doesn't stay put when spotted on the siding.

I'll maybe paint the fuel tanks on a locomotive to start the light weathering process.

Sherrel:
Glad to hear the good progress reports on the spousal medical issues.

Been watching the videos done by Train Masters. Only $9.99 for six months.

Time to go....

Greg

#############################

1596904047906.png

The covered bridge near our cabin over the Pine River. Four guys all over 65 years old constructed the bridge to replace a failing concrete single lane bridge. The Pine River is noted for its trout fishing and rafting.-Greg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent the day painting the roundhouse parts. The walls are a dark brown, doors and window frames a Sage Green, internal wood supports dark brown, roof black and concrete parts Sand. All colors are a flat finish. I still need to do mortar and some individual brick coloring. SIL came by and routered the ash pit for me.

TomO- Beautiful looking area.

Bunker- Interesting looking loco.

Alan- Nice looking train. Is it part of the COSF?

Willie- Very nice. Can you use Bar Mills fencing?

Guy- It looks good.

Sherrel- I'm glad Kate is doing so well.

Greg- Beautiful area.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Toot, Tom O & Greg- Timms Hill is in Price County(which makes it part of the Northwoods), while Rib Mountain(both the mountain & town) is in Marathon County(Central WI) & the highest point in Central Wisconsin. I can clearly see the slopes of Granite Peak Ski Area from my cardiologist’s parking lot on Wausau’s west side.

I had a good afternoon down in the train room. I ran a Broadway Limited DM&IR six axle locomotive and it and the cars did great.

I had a GP38-2 where the front hoses were attached behind the plow. I managed to get one side of hoses out to where they belong and added some more rust to the plow. Tomorrow, the critter will see some action on the rails.

I plan on working down there tomorrow and wire the beacon in the water tower to power. Do some dusting and vacuum the carpet tiles. I have lots of small projects like adding more barrels to the Omro junk yard, run trains, clean locomotive wheels and straighten up the layout room.

I had a MILW Alco and at day one I broke one of the forward hand rails (which I'm good at) and I ordered new replacement rails for this and several other locomotives. But today, I glued the broken rail back together using AC and painted the glue a engine Black. I added a figure standing next to the repair and the figure makes the repair disappear.

I had a coal unit train on the siding and I backed the train I was running to pickup the coal cars and place them on the main and open the siding for rail traffic. This small movement was fun and I used the horn and bell as a 1:1 train would do.

Back tomorrow.

Greg

#######################

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back