Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1596646052426.png

Good morning. Went to Butte for a dentist appointment and then to Deer Lodge to visit with some relatives. This morning took out little doxie to the groomer. She likes to go between the hedges and the house sometimes and comes out will all sorts of vegetation on the long hair on her legs.

thumbnail_20200805_102009.jpg She also smells a bit better. Poor old girl is getting old.

Garry - Hope your surgery went well.

McLeod
- Like your brick work. Looks really good.

Curt - You sure are moving ahead with the layout. Keep the photos coming.

Terry - Hope you got the credit card problem straightened out. Our little local bank does a fantastic job suspecting fraud.

Alan - Like the tail light. That 2-10-4 is a monster.

TomO - I had access to a lot of brass at bargain prices years ago but was able to control myself. Al I ended up keeping was a Santa Fe consolidation which I painted for my own railroad and a Northern Pacific consolidation which I did paint for the NP.
006.jpg

IMAG0393-1.jpg

I also have a Northern Pacific Yellowstone and the NP timkin Northern 2626. Can't run the Yellowstone at the club even though it is DCC equipped because of a tight radius. The rear engine is fixes as is the prototype and can't make the one turn. Have no problem at all running it at home except that my 90' turntable is a wee bit short. The northern has a shorting problem with the pilot truck hits the cylinders. Have enuf brass.

Willie
- Like your feed store. Came out good. The little trailer is a nice addition. Really like the grain elevator. Nice work.

Sherrel - Happy to see that you got the wife home. Hope she gets better soon.

Hughie - Like the photo. It looks like you have quite the layout there that you're hiding on us.

Joe - Happy to hear that you made it through the storm in decent shape. I've heard that some areas may not have power back for almost a week.

Louis - Keep those GG-1 photos coming. Sweet. That shark needs a bath.

Later

Afternoon All,

Drained the pool and had a couple of guys come by for a home repair estimate (actually upkeep). Last night I received the Walthers Diesel fueling facility and Sand House kits and 50 more pieces of cork roadbed. Today I built the small sanding tower and hopefully I'll build the large one tomorrow. I built a sand house previously out of wood (to Walthers specifications) so all I'm building is the towers in the kit. I'll be building the full diesel kit but it will take longer for painting than building. I figure it makes sense to build the kits so they're ready when I lay track.

Hughie- Nice layout scene.

Justin- Best wishes for your Father.

Huskey- That was a nice surprise.

Garry- I'm glad the procedure went well.

Guy- The fruit trays will look great.

Louis- Nice pictures.

Chet- Nice looking pooch and layout scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning. Went to Butte for a dentist appointment and then to Deer Lodge to visit with some relatives. This morning took out little doxie to the groomer. She likes to go between the hedges and the house sometimes and comes out will all sorts of vegetation on the long hair on her legs.

View attachment 115901 She also smells a bit better. Poor old girl is getting old.

McLeod - Like your brick work. Looks really good.

Terry - Hope you got the credit card problem straightened out. Our little local bank does a fantastic job suspecting fraud.

TomO - I had access to a lot of brass at bargain prices years ago but was able to control myself. Al I ended up keeping was a Santa Fe consolidation which I painted for my own railroad and a Northern Pacific consolidation which I did paint for the NP.
View attachment 115902
View attachment 115903

I also have a Northern Pacific Yellowstone and the NP timkin Northern 2626. Can't run the Yellowstone at the club even though it is DCC equipped because of a tight radius. The rear engine is fixes as is the prototype and can't make the one turn. Have no problem at all running it at home except that my 90' turntable is a wee bit short. The northern has a shorting problem with the pilot truck hits the cylinders. Have enuf brass.

Willie - Like your feed store. Came out good. The little trailer is a nice addition. Really like the grain elevator. Nice work.

Hughie - Like the photo. It looks like you have quite the layout there that you're hiding on us.

Joe - Happy to hear that you made it through the storm in decent shape. I've heard that some areas may not have power back for almost a week.

Later

Chet/Joe- one of my frousins lives in Cedarville(Cumberland Co- down near Fortescue & Del Bay) was told by AC Electric that they would be without power for at least 5-7 days. Fortunately, they have a generator. Frousin= friend+cousin. Her & her family were my aunt/uncle’s next door neighbor growing up. They didn’t have any family in the area(orig from Black Hills area), so they just became adopted into mom’s extended family(Mom was 1 of 13 kids- I have 30+ cousins).

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 73° here in North Central Texas. We're done with the cool weather, yesterday's high was only 88°. Forecast is for 98°+ for the next week or so. Pool temperature over the last four days dropped to 82°, cool but tolerable to me.
Sunrise today.
08-06-20 005.JPG

Yesterday I got out the saw, measuring tape, square, etc., to do the back porch step replacement and it started to rain unexpectedly. Wasn't in the forecast and I didn't bother to look at the radar beforehand. So away it all went and of course the rain stopped immediately thereafter. Since today is grocery/beer trek day, I won't get to it until tomorrow or Saturday depending on a doctor appointment for my wife tomorrow. Afternoon came about and things had dried out so I mowed the SW portion of the yard, the normally overgrown part with the septic system and lateral lines underneath. Unless it really rains, I only have the "back 40" to do for the foreseeable future.

Blueberry pancakes and a handful of bacon for me this morning Francine.

Thanks for the reactions, likes and comments yesterday guys; Tom O, Garry, Jerome, Guy, James, Hughie, Louis, Chet, Phil, Sherrel, Mopac, Justin, Tom.

Very slow day in the train shed yesterday. A lack of planning has left me struck out with the benchwork addition. Thought that I had several items stashed in the shed that were no longer there. I have three different thicknesses of plywood but no 1/2" for the top. I have five different sizes of dimensional lumber but no 1"x4" for the framework. Bummer, now I will have to either wait until I can get something or compromise (more likely). Wish that I had checked earlier before I made the trip for the porch step, but HD is 25 miles away!
I did dig out an additional kitbashed background structure to add alongside the tenement building that has been seen in recent photos.
08-06-20 001.JPG

It's going to need additional work obviously. It's a kit from Model Tech that was intended to be a rectangular structure that I elongated as seen. As can barely be seen here, I fixed that paint spill on the ballast.
I also ran several trains for a while. Did a couple of drive-by inspections and paused to change out the McHenry couplers on two cars that I had noted. Surprised that they hadn't failed by now. While at the workbench, I also changed the ScaleTrains couplers on the last of the three SD45's that I got last week.
Here are a couple of shots of the farm across the tracks from the Hardware Store and trailer posted earlier this week.
08-04-20 011.JPG

08-04-20 014.JPG

Farmhouse is a laser-cut structure from Branchline's brief venture into structure kits. Shed is scratchbuilt and that's a family graveyard behind the shed.

That's it for today. Everybody have a wonderful day.

Morning all,

Clear and 67* this morning with a high of 96 and high humidity. Supposed to get back to August temps over the weekend and next week.

Yesterday I shuffled the daughter to her Chemo appointment and got caught up on some yard and home issues. While I mostly repaired the fense break on Sunday, I didn't really cut into the neighbor's blackberry patch. They were gone over the weekend when I did the patch. When I told her she said that's ok, we took them out, so the fence was completely repaired yesterday. What I did Sunday was add new stringers (horizontal 2x4's) and attached the pickets. I left the broken stringer in place, as it is more destructive on her landscape for me to do a dismantle. Had the post have been broken, I'd have done it differently. Then I caught up on laundry for the Mrs. and sprayed weeds in the yard. I also got the wall I over sprayed touched up. Looks a lot better. lol

Guy: You got why I don't mind the over sized Mario vehicles on his railroad...It's his world. LOL He's got imagination anyway and I don't want to discourage him.

Bunker: Thanks for sharing the Spacex test. I knew it had been delayed but hadn't heard how it turned out. I also liked the interior of the manned capsule. That looks a lot slicker than the exposed panels of the 60's capsules. (I know there's at least 50 years difference in the Tech.

Good Morning, everyone! It is indeed a beautiful morning in a comfortable 58F with dashes of cloud in a mainly blue sky. My understanding is that it will heat up later in the day, reaching a very warm 80ish or so. - Tomorrow is supposed to cool off some.

The shop seems like a fairly quiet place these last days; I suspect some are up to summertime goodness, and don't have time to stop in.
Thank you, though, for stopping by and offering a like to my post of yesterday!

I sludge washed the brick walls of my BlueTop yesterday. I think it turned out all right, but, I probably didn't add quite enough drops of dish soap to the sludge. Could have used another drop or two of Dawn. In the end, I had to give it a damp rag wiping with Tamiya X-20 thinner, but that is risky. Rubbing on X-20 can soften and mess up paint in a hurry, and one must be very gentle.
This photo shows the walls after being sludged, but, before the damp wipe. Again, all the extra parts are just placed there for photo purposes:
BlueTop_08-05-2020 (3).JPG

I'm actually thinking about moving this building over into the structures thread with a better description of the work. The top of the front above the awning will likely get planked with balsa as Atlas kind of ignored that space. A sign is not going to cover it all. And I'm planning a redo of the tar roof; I don't much like the plastic approach. Also, there should be some tubular metal grab handles put onto those customer doors. I'm trying to turn a toy-like structure into something a bit less childish. I believe you can make a mountain out of a moehill, if you just try.

Have a great day, everyone!

Good morning, Everybody ....

WIllie, Guy, Chet, Curt, and anyone I missed ..... Thanks for commenting about my post regarding my recent eye surgery. So far, so good. I'm happy with the results.

Guy .... Your building will look great based on the quality of your work so far.

WIllie .... I like the little farm scene nd the background buildings.

Chet ... Your photos of the 2-8-0's look great.

Louis .... Nice t see you and the photos you posted.

I ran some trains yesterday. One of them is my ore train.

Everybody........ Have a good day.

Sorry guys, I am just in a funk at the moment! I was going to post yesterday and then decided that I would wait until late afternoon, then decided that there was really nothing to report that might be interesting.

FLO - Some Of those blueberry flapjacks that Willie raves about along with a pile of bacon and a glass of OJ - thank you!

Been trying to get a handle on some long overdue projects - It is only to be 79 here today with mostly overcast. Would be great for finishing up the planting area that the wifey wants, but we have to take her to see her Surgeon this morning about 45 miles away and then a stop at the market for things she will be able to eat. It will be 2-3pm by the time we return, so there goes the "productive" time once more.

Have no idea how the fire is north of us...news has been slow in coming.
Glad to hear that all you East Coast guys made it through the weather event even though you may be suffering from the power outages.

GUY - the building is taking on a very nice look! good work!

Later folks. I seee LOUIS found the missing "post it" button! LOL

View attachment 115901 She also smells a bit better. Poor old girl is getting old.

McLeod - Like your brick work. Looks really good.

View attachment 115902
View attachment 115903

Willie - Like your feed store. Came out good. The little trailer is a nice addition. Really like the grain elevator. Nice work.

Later
I'm not sure if I ever posted this before. 11 ft x 6 ft and 40 inches wide.

Attachments

• Deerfieldnand Apple Ridge RR .jpg
    Deerfieldnand Apple Ridge RR .jpg
    768 KB · Views: 118
Afternoon All,

Wow, it's dead in here today. Today train wise I finished the second sanding tower. Although you can't tell in the photo I spray painted all the parts with a light grey rattle can. The concrete color is a mix of MM concrete and aged concrete. Tomorrow I should start the diesel facility. I will most likely cut the "3 islands" apart like I previously did.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Guy- The walls look great.

Louis- Nice pictures.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

Nothing special.

20200806_125625.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I dug this one out of the basement stash too. I'm never going to get to it, so it's going to go to a new home. This thing is massive. It's a curve straightener! PFM Santa Fe 2-10-4.

View attachment 115871
Alan,that wasn't one of Jim Gibson's Brass Locos was it? It's a beaut,but I'm guessing a 30 or 32 inch radius to be able to run it well. I'd wouldn't mind owning it, just wouldn't know what to do wit h it. William.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back