Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen: Again as always great modeling on your UP MILW SP C&NW ala Southern Pacific 10 - 6 sleeper with all kidding aside, it looks great.

That wasn't a very good explanation, was it? It was like this: The three railroads contributed various cars to make up the train. Railroad owned cars were head end stuff (RPO's & Baggage dorms and so forth, chair cars, diners, and clubs cars, etc. Pullman owned all of the sleepers until they were broken up, then the cars were sold to the railroads and Pullman retained the services. This is why you see some schemes where there is a big Pullman letterboard in the center of the car and a railroad name at each end. This 10-6 blunt end was rebuilt after the Pullman breakup so since SP owns it... :)

Last edited:
I dug this one out of the basement stash too. I'm never going to get to it, so it's going to go to a new home. This thing is massive. It's a curve straightener! PFM Santa Fe 2-10-4.

PFM 2-10-4.JPG

I dug this one out of the basement stash too. I'm never going to get to it, so it's going to go to a new home. This thing is massive. It's a curve straightener! PFM Santa Fe 2-10-4.

View attachment 115871

Alan, had that same engine. A good but very loud runner. At one time, before marriage in 1976 I started buying brass. Then my friend who owned a hobby shop and was getting a divorce. He wanted cash so he sold me 72 brass steamers at his cost before he closed the hobby shop. He didn’t want his soon to be x-wife to get anything. I purchased another 20 over the years after that. I have 1 left from the 92 I had at one time. Brass was fun but finicky and when painted looked absolutely awesome.

TomO

I belong to a large fishing club that stocks at least 8 area lakes and haven't missed a meeting in maybe 9 years since I joined. But, I haven't fished for muskies in over 30 years and muskie fishing is my joy and once my passion.

Not to brag, but in a four day weekend I caught 16 muskies of various sizes all close to legal or legal. I had a old muskie river fisherman teach me the secrets of muskie river fishing and to his knowledge I owe my success. He missed a trophy fish that failed to take his lure, but followed the lure to the boat and then the fish actually tried to get my lure as I retrieved my lure it from the water. The fish jumped out of the water and the fish and and I were eye to eye. We both estimated the fish at approximately 50 or more inches in length.

My wife has her muskie mounted in the Packer Room. She caught the fish on a spinning rod with 6 pound test line while fishing for walleyes.

McLeod, good luck on your fishing trip.

Greg

####################

View attachment 115863
This fellow caught this bass at our club's annual ice fishery, our main fund raiser for the club. I believe we have over 700 members and usually 100 members show up at our two annual membership meetings.-Greg

Muskie fishing is one of my favorite fish to go after but then again just about anything that swims in the water....I go after. Having lived in Wisconsin from 74 thru 85 I did a lot of muskie fishing. Then I was spoiled when I moved to Florida....fished both freshwater and saltwater. 12lb bass was so common on the big O. The Grouper fishing, tuna fishing, snook fishing, tarpon fishing, cobia, snapper, sailfish, black tip shark and so on I fished it! 16 years combined in Florida which included spearfishing for triple tails and scuba diving. Then moved to Arkansas and was there 10 years fished for trout on the red and white rivers and bass fished all over. Striper fishing, cat fishing......starting sound like Bubba lol.....yep Now I am in the Adirondacks fish for trout, salmon, bass, pike, musky, tiger musky, crappie, perch.....on occasions I will run to the coast and go for the tuna fishing charters. Yup it's in my blood just as much as hunting, trains and shooting ;) :D

Morning all,

Comfortable 60* this morning with a predicted high of 80. Late September temps instead of early August.

Got the remainder of the track surfaces cleaned last night, so train running can resume. Not much else. We go to bed early as we have to be to work early, so it seems like I get home and no time after supper to do much. I am off tomorrow to drive the daughter to chemo or watch the grand kids, whatever they need me to do.

Bunker: Like everything there's a story behind my grandson's layout. I bought a lot of trains in an online auction and found what I really wanted in the lot was N-scale. My grandson saw what I got and asked if he could have them for his own layout. We had everything except the track, so Grandma made him a deal. We worked his butt off to pay for the track. We got him a book of layouts and he picked what he wanted and then helped me set it up. So other than the $230 bucks for the track, and another $50 in the train table everything else we had. I've since bought the grass mat we put down over the weekend and the school and a couple of cars at a train show. We started laying out streets for his town, which is where the over sized Mario cars and Lego people came in. It and he are works in progress...

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 69°. Another pleasant morning here. Wind is still out of the north, holding yesterday's high to just 90°, looking at the same today and tomorrow before summer returns Thursday with an expected high of 99° through the middle of the month at least.
Finished mowing the east side of the yard as well as the entire backyard around the pool and over to the train shed yesterday. That was another 3/4 acre out of the way. Had to stop halfway through and replace a wheel bearing on the tractor. I am still not sure why they keep disintegrating on me, the grease has been applied profusely. That's the third one in 2 1/2 years. I am out of spares and have ordered more, and I have ordered a new axle end for replacement the next time I have to take it apart. I already replaced the tie rod on that side about two months ago. I am going to make a trip to Home Depot today. I need to purchase a 2"x12"x8' treated board. The only step to the back porch has split lengthwise and I'll need to replace it before my wife's knee replacement later this month; which has now been moved forward to the 20th. Nothing like a deadline.

Western omelet with a high stack of sausage patties for me this morning Flo. Heavy on the Tabasco! No toast today.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on my progress post yesterday; Patrick, Sherrel, Chad, Guy, Jerome, James, Chet, Tom O, Hughie, Phil, Mikeknuckey, Curt, Bunker, Justin, Karl, Tom.

Not a lot of activity modelingwise yesterday in the train shed. I did overhaul all of the TOFC equipment, before I need to. Six total cars. All of them already had metal wheels and I only had to trade out one set of McHenry couplers. I re-glued two bridge plates that I had added a few days ago, using CA this time. I did not get to either of the infrastructure projects that I wanted to start, but that will come soon enough. Back porch step is first.
So I reviewed a couple of projects that I did earlier this year and took some new pictures. Some of you more recent visitors may not have seen these and others might enjoy seeing them again.
First is Majestic Hardware, a laser-cut structure from Bar Mills.
08-04-20 002.JPG

08-04-20 003.JPG

Next door is Ma & Pa Kettle enjoying grilled burgers and a beer or two in front of their trailer.
08-04-20 004.JPG

08-04-20 005.JPG

Guy - I like what you have done to the walls. I should do that more often than I do. Good luck fishing today.
Sherrel -
Willie - Have a cure for your truck. Take your trusty dremel tool with a cutoff disk and open one of those doors. You can even make the driver climbing into the cab with the door part open - that would look cool. I have a box full of dentist discards that are great for doing stuff like that -want some?
I like the idea of a driver climbing into the truck. It would be an interesting project. Do you still have my address?
Continued prayers for Kate from me and Arlene.
Chet - Before those MR's go into a box, (I have several already), I will review them and make notes of articles, issues, pages etc., of articles that I want to reference in the future. Intermixed with them are several issues of Trains as well. I have actually dug out some past issues before, based on my notes.
Mowing here in the heat isn't too bad if I have a decent breeze. Otherwise I have to stop too often for a visit in the pool. I do like that mower that Karl posted though.
Greg - When I run my Centerline car, I use 91% alcohol. I follow it with a car that is outfitted with a felt pad to remove any residue. Thankfully I don't have to do track cleaning very often, I just do it occasionally as a precautionary measure. Ahead of the engine in the cleaning train is a Masonite car.
Your winter tales make me so glad that I don't have to deal with that s**t here.

Thankfully I have never had my credit card, only one now, AMEX, compromised. Whether it be luck or the watchful eye of AMEX, I don't know. While I am extremely careful, it will happen some day. None of us are immune to the scum that perpetrate these kinds of crime.

Today is the U.S. Coast Guard Birthday, that perennially forgotten service branch. Happy Birthday and thanks to all past and present members.
Everyone have a great day.

Alan, had that same engine. A good but very loud runner. At one time, before marriage in 1976 I started buying brass. Then my friend who owned a hobby shop and was getting a divorce. He wanted cash so he sold me 72 brass steamers at his cost before he closed the hobby shop. He didn’t want his soon to be x-wife to get anything. I purchased another 20 over the years after that. I have 1 left from the 92 I had at one time. Brass was fun but finicky and when painted looked absolutely awesome.

TomO
I have four or five of them here. I started on brass in the early 1990's. It was the only way to get the models I wanted. I've never counted them but there are several racks of models in the basement, mostly SP and Santa Fe, with a few orphans thrown in. I also got sucked into passenger cars as you have probably seen. They can be more expensive than the locomotives. All because at some point I got bitten by the prototype bug. I don't know when it happened but it did.

Good morning from crispy cool So. Central Wisconsin where it may hit 70 but it is only 56f degrees now.

Alan, never had a thought to collecting but it started out as getting the SP steam that I loved and then an opportunity of a modeling lifetime popped up. I painted and ran my steam and they were the center place for my 12 stall roundhouse and engine serving facility. Then no layout and I dislike shelf queens, started selling off at retirement in 2014. 1 left and it needs to be repaired but it will happen. My loco fleet for the layout is 1- GP40-2w, 2- GP38-2, 2-MP15AC with 2-GP35’s WC for sale. It has all been fun. Enjoy the day, TomO
5E2DD950-6DA3-47E6-9276-8CDBD38D5C5D.jpeg

Good morning from crispy cool So. Central Wisconsin where it may hit 70 but it is only 56f degrees now.

Alan, never had a thought to collecting but it started out as getting the SP steam that I loved and then an opportunity of a modeling lifetime popped up. I painted and ran my steam and they were the center place for my 12 stall roundhouse and engine serving facility. Then no layout and I dislike shelf queens, started selling off at retirement in 2014. 1 left and it needs to be repaired but it will happen. My loco fleet for the layout is 1- GP40-2w, 2- GP38-2, 2-MP15AC with 2-GP35’s WC for sale. It has all been fun. Enjoy the day, TomO
The lions share of mine are painted and run as well. Most have been re-motored and equipped with DCC. The ones that haven't are in the "to do" pile. I belong to a great club that will handle them and the long trains with room to spare. I kept going after I had what I "needed" though. I don't know another word for that besides collecting! :) Have you found someone to fix that P-4 yet?

The lions share of mine are painted and run as well. Most have been re-motored and equipped with DCC. The ones that haven't are in the "to do" pile. I belong to a great club that will handle them and the long trains with room to spare. I kept going after I had what I "needed" though. I don't know another word for that besides collecting! :) Have you found someone to fix that P-4 yet?

No sir not yet, I am looking for a screw to fit the side rod as I did check it, it is not stripped. It is on my desk in the cave and Terry said why sell it, run it like that big one we saw last summer. Fix it first and then maybe add a decoder. Conflicted on this one as I am not usually sentimental but...

TomO

G'DAY Everyone! I am a whole lot behind already. I picked up the Spousal Unit from the hospital yesterday afternoon - they were finally able to overcome the high BP issue and this morning she is more or less normal - just a little higher than normal range.
Perhaps the "new" BP pills will keep it in the range that they are shooting for.
At this moment she is in a recliner surrounded by a two foot high wire dog fence.
We have two smaller (22 pound) poodle mixes which normally would be in her lap and we cannot have that until her incisions heal up. She has no pain at this time - thankfully! She had a really tough time the first two days following the surgery.
I'm looking forward to seeing her get her bikini figure back - LOL!
In the meantime - due to inactivity, lack of proper exercise, and my prior medicals -- I have lost my girlish figure- at least maybe we will come together somewhere near the middle? LOL

GREAT PHOTOS and stories from all!
I'll stop back by later for another thrilling post! HA!

No sir not yet, I am looking for a screw to fit the side rod as I did check it, it is not stripped. It is on my desk in the cave and Terry said why sell it, run it like that big one we saw last summer. Fix it first and then maybe add a decoder. Conflicted on this one as I am not usually sentimental but...

TomO
I might could maybe be of assistance here. My P-4 was the second brass model I ever bought. I'll check and see of I have a spare screw that will fit there. I have a pretty large hardware collection! Microcast Mizuno was one of the better builders Westside used.

Afternoon All,

Spent around 2.5 hours outside on a project this morning and the heat and humidity wore me out, so I have taken it easy the rest of the day with no train stuff. I should get back to it tomorrow.

Alan- Very nice job on the light.

Willie- Nice scenes

Sherrel- Congrats on having Kate back home.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 69°. Another pleasant morning here. Wind is still out of the north, holding yesterday's high to just 90°, looking at the same today and tomorrow before summer returns Thursday with an expected high of 99° through the middle of the month at least.
Finished mowing the east side of the yard as well as the entire backyard around the pool and over to the train shed yesterday. That was another 3/4 acre out of the way. Had to stop halfway through and replace a wheel bearing on the tractor. I am still not sure why they keep disintegrating on me, the grease has been applied profusely. That's the third one in 2 1/2 years. I am out of spares and have ordered more, and I have ordered a new axle end for replacement the next time I have to take it apart. I already replaced the tie rod on that side about two months ago. I am going to make a trip to Home Depot today. I need to purchase a 2"x12"x8' treated board. The only step to the back porch has split lengthwise and I'll need to replace it before my wife's knee replacement later this month; which has now been moved forward to the 20th. Nothing like a deadline.

Western omelet with a high stack of sausage patties for me this morning Flo. Heavy on the Tabasco! No toast today.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on my progress post yesterday; Patrick, Sherrel, Chad, Guy, Jerome, James, Chet, Tom O, Hughie, Phil, Mikeknuckey, Curt, Bunker, Justin, Karl, Tom.

Not a lot of activity modelingwise yesterday in the train shed. I did overhaul all of the TOFC equipment, before I need to. Six total cars. All of them already had metal wheels and I only had to trade out one set of McHenry couplers. I re-glued two bridge plates that I had added a few days ago, using CA this time. I did not get to either of the infrastructure projects that I wanted to start, but that will come soon enough. Back porch step is first.
So I reviewed a couple of projects that I did earlier this year and took some new pictures. Some of you more recent visitors may not have seen these and others might enjoy seeing them again.
View attachment 115872
View attachment 115873
Next door is Ma & Pa Kettle enjoying grilled burgers and a beer or two in front of their trailer.
View attachment 115874
View attachment 115875

Guy - I like what you have done to the walls. I should do that more often than I do. Good luck fishing today.
Sherrel -

I like the idea of a driver climbing into the truck. It would be an interesting project. Do you still have my address?
Chet - Before those MR's go into a box, (I have several already), I will review them and make notes of articles, issues, pages etc., of articles that I want to reference in the future. Intermixed with them are several issues of Trains as well. I have actually dug out some past issues before, based on my notes.
Mowing here in the heat isn't too bad if I have a decent breeze. Otherwise I have to stop too often for a visit in the pool. I do like that mower that Karl posted though.
Greg - When I run my Centerline car, I use 91% alcohol. I follow it with a car that is outfitted with a felt pad to remove any residue. Thankfully I don't have to do track cleaning very often, I just do it occasionally as a precautionary measure. Ahead of the engine in the cleaning train is a Masonite car.
Your winter tales make me so glad that I don't have to deal with that s**t here.

Thankfully I have never had my credit card, only one now, AMEX, compromised. Whether it be luck or the watchful eye of AMEX, I don't know. While I am extremely careful, it will happen some day. None of us are immune to the scum that perpetrate these kinds of crime.

Today is the U.S. Coast Guard Birthday, that perennially forgotten service branch. Happy Birthday and thanks to all past and present members.
Love the Majestic Hardware. I got my eye out for the Shipyard Brewery in N scale.

View attachment 115872
View attachment 115873
View attachment 115874
View attachment 115875

Sherrel -

Man I do like those trucks Chevy and Ford.....what manufacturer are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back