Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Very nice start to August, clear and 69°, as well as a new Coffee Shop. It hasn't been this cool in August in years, and the last time the temperature was this low this year was June 10! Won't last too long, although it looks like we have at least another few days starting out like this. Highs might reach the low 90's and then back to normal "hot and dry" by Thursday. Due to the past few cloudy days, the pool cooled down to a very pleasant 86°. The cloudy nights helped retain this temperature as well. It will start to warm up again by tomorrow, but not too rapidly since the daylight hours are getting shorter, currently about 13.75 hours.
So yesterday was an interesting day for me, with the non-working tankless water heater. I have to give a real genuine "shout-out" to the customer service representative from Rheem. Not only was she really helpful on the phone and e-mailed me a service manual, but she was from Alabama and not some overseas country. I didn't have to ask "What did you say?" at all. Kudos to Rheem! Then there was the local small town Ace Hardware store where someone greeted me at the door and helped me find the exact fuse that I needed. Actually this is the kind of service that I always get at this store, unlike Lowe's or HD where even finding a store rep is trying at times and finding a knowledgeable one is nearly impossible.

So what's the special this morning Flo? Poached eggs and corn beef hash? Make it a double for me.

Thanks for the likes, reactions and comments regarding my upcoming (and already started) project; Garry, Karl, Tom O, James, Jerome, Tom, Joe, Mopac, Chad, Sherrel, Phil, Curt. I didn't have much time to enjoy it (new project) yesterday because my wife wanted a hot shower.

I did get to spend a little time in the train shed yesterday. I started assembling the office for the piggyback facility rather than embarking on anything lengthier.
07-30-20 009.JPG

Didn't like the brown color so I painted it white.
08-01-20 003.JPG

One of the usual Walther's kit quirks hit me immediately, There isn't enough of the right size clear styrene window material (second from right) for the number of windows (3).
08-01-20 002.JPG

Looks like I'll just have to cut down one of the larger ones on the right that aren't needed for this kit. However, the overall instructions and diagrams are a definite step above their usual problematic instruction sheets.
I have also got to alter two of my 89' flatcars that are currently set up for tail to tail trailer loading. I had originally envisioned having a full blown intermodal yard until I thought about how much space it would occupy. Now I just have four container/well trains that only run from end to end.
07-30-20 010.001.JPG

Not too difficult. I also dug out all of the connecting ramps for all five of the flatcars, to be attached next. Cannot believe that I still remembered exactly where I had them stashed! :) Should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday!

Karl -
kbkchooch said:
I can't tell you how many times I have heard of similar scenarios with vehicles and rodents,
My issue is raccoons! Except they don't get into engines. But they can get into plastic storage bins and covered metal pails.
Garry - Yes, August 24th isn't too far away. He would have done it on the 10th if she had wanted, but she is babysitting our granddaughter from August 20-22 and didn't want to be recovering during that time.
Curt - This kit has a beam crane included, however I am planning on using it in a different scene of a transload facility.
Sherrel - Good to read that Kate is recovering.
Joe - Yes a successful day. If I had to call a serviceman, it would have meant many $$$ and gosh knows how long I would have to wait. Only cost me less than $5.00 and some time. Squeezing between the clothes washer and the wall to get in and out was a slight hassle, but at least I didn't have to disconnect the washer and move it out of the way. Thanks there to the fact that I recently lost 40 pounds.
Yeah! I was also going to point out that the care package didn't include any Taylor Ham, a common delicacy in Jersey. I had never heard of it until my daughter married a young man from there. Now I get it at my local Kroger store deli instead of waiting for them to bring some back when they go there.
Chad - Sure hope for your sake that the transaction cancellation works. Ouch!

Everybody have a wonderful day, and an awesome weekend.

Good Morning, Everyone! And is it ever a bright, sunny, warm and wonderful morning!
It's supposed to be a long weekend here in Alberta, but, I don't know what the celebration is; lost interest a long time ago. Some yo-yo set off a few fireworks down the street last night, just when I was about to enter dreamland in the beginning of sleep. Thought it was gun-play at first. Had a-bit of trouble falling asleep again, after that.

It's going to be super warm and with no rain for the entire weekend. I suppose the virus will find a playground in the public parks and gathering areas. My understanding is that people are sick and tired of confinement, and want to get out for summer enjoyment. I'll likely stick around the house, and hide in the coolness of my basement hobby area; even though I'd like to go fishing instead. The lake will probably be a busy place today. I intend for old age and grumpiness to kill me; not some bug.

Yesterday, I started in on this very toy-like kit:
BlueTop_07-31-2020 (1).JPG

I don't like the way the windows and doors fit from the inside. The frames would look more realistic if they went in from the outside. The roof tiles look fake as ell, as well. I can see the need for extremely artistic paint work and thoughtful improvements to make this building into something.
Really, I wanted to work on my scratch-built depot, but, it was just too hot and steamy to be wearing the optivisor, and concentrate on close-up, fine work.
This morning, I'll get some paint on the windows and doors of the Atlas building, and consider what improvements it should get. The accessories, like lamp post and produce baskets are the worst. Designed for children, I suppose.

I'm not anywhere near Florida, but, according to the news channel, that state seems to be taking a mean kicking. I feel sorry for the folks there, with the virus running rampant and a hurricane breathing down their backs. I truly hope the good people of Florida are able to stay safe and that events improve. My prayers are for them on this day.

Try to have a great day, everyone!

Good Morning All. Very nice start to August, clear and 69°, as well as a new Coffee Shop. It hasn't been this cool in August in years, and the last time the temperature was this low this year was June 10! Won't last too long, although it looks like we have at least another few days starting out like this. Highs might reach the low 90's and then back to normal "hot and dry" by Thursday. Due to the past few cloudy days, the pool cooled down to a very pleasant 86°. The cloudy nights helped retain this temperature as well. It will start to warm up again by tomorrow, but not too rapidly since the daylight hours are getting shorter, currently about 13.75 hours.
So yesterday was an interesting day for me, with the non-working tankless water heater. I have to give a real genuine "shout-out" to the customer service representative from Rheem. Not only was she really helpful on the phone and e-mailed me a service manual, but she was from Alabama and not some overseas country. I didn't have to ask "What did you say?" at all. Kudos to Rheem! Then there was the local small town Ace Hardware store where someone greeted me at the door and helped me find the exact fuse that I needed. Actually this is the kind of service that I always get at this store, unlike Lowe's or HD where even finding a store rep is trying at times and finding a knowledgeable one is nearly impossible.

So what's the special this morning Flo? Poached eggs and corn beef hash? Make it a double for me.

Thanks for the likes, reactions and comments regarding my upcoming (and already started) project; Garry, Karl, Tom O, James, Jerome, Tom, Joe, Mopac, Chad, Sherrel, Phil, Curt. I didn't have much time to enjoy it (new project) yesterday because my wife wanted a hot shower.

I did get to spend a little time in the train shed yesterday. I started assembling the office for the piggyback facility rather than embarking on anything lengthier.
View attachment 115766
Didn't like the brown color so I painted it white.
View attachment 115767
One of the usual Walther's kit quirks hit me immediately, There isn't enough of the right size clear styrene window material (second from right) for the number of windows (3).
View attachment 115768
Looks like I'll just have to cut down one of the larger ones on the right that aren't needed for this kit. However, the overall instructions and diagrams are a definite step above their usual problematic instruction sheets.
I have also got to alter two of my 89' flatcars that are currently set up for tail to tail trailer loading. I had originally envisioned having a full blown intermodal yard until I thought about how much space it would occupy. Now I just have four container/well trains that only run from end to end.
View attachment 115770
Not too difficult. I also dug out all of the connecting ramps for all five of the flatcars, to be attached next. Cannot believe that I still remembered exactly where I had them stashed! :) Should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday!

Karl -

My issue is raccoons! Except they don't get into engines. But they can get into plastic storage bins and covered metal pails.
Garry - Yes, August 24th isn't too far away. He would have done it on the 10th if she had wanted, but she is babysitting our granddaughter from August 20-22 and didn't want to be recovering during that time.
Curt - This kit has a beam crane included, however I am planning on using it in a different scene of a transload facility.
Sherrel - Good to read that Kate is recovering.
Joe - Yes a successful day. If I had to call a serviceman, it would have meant many $$$ and gosh knows how long I would have to wait. Only cost me less than $5.00 and some time. Squeezing between the clothes washer and the wall to get in and out was a slight hassle, but at least I didn't have to disconnect the washer and move it out of the way. Thanks there to the fact that I recently lost 40 pounds.
Yeah! I was also going to point out that the care package didn't include any Taylor Ham, a common delicacy in Jersey. I had never heard of it until my daughter married a young man from there. Now I get it at my local Kroger store deli instead of waiting for them to bring some back when they go there.
Chad - Sure hope for your sake that the transaction cancellation works. Ouch!

Everybody have a wonderful day, and an awesome weekend.
Willie, grab some .005 clear styrene off the Evergreen rack. I think that Walthers stuff is too thick and clunky looking anyway! On small windows, try microscope cover slips. You can get them from Amazon. Real glass looks awesome. You can get 200 cover slips for like 6 bucks.

Good morning from again the deck in beautiful Wisconsin. They are basically repeating yesterday’s possibilities. End up in low 80’s, low humidity and a touch of a breeze. My sister unexpectedly came for dinner last night. Here till mid August as she is making her way towards California in a few months.

Tom, we have a Cambria in Wisconsin and that sky shot was fabulous.
Alan, thanks for the glass reminders from Amazon.
Sherrel, could you image the response now a days to missing that turn!

A busy mill this Saturday morning. Lots to do a Sunday’s are just Skelton crews. Have a great day. TomO

FC006526-C377-45AC-B3E5-D8EE9C623A88.jpeg

Good morning .

Terry .... Thanks for starting the August Coffee Shop .

Everybody .... Thanks for the likes and comments for my post with photo.

Louis ... I was asking where you were in this post. Presto! You appeared. Good to see you. .... I like the photos of Chessie on the bridge, B&O steam, and PRR 10001.

Sherrel .... I'm glad your wife's surgery went well. The streetcar made a wring turn evidently.

Tom O .... I like the backdrop building.

Guy .... The produce market looks fun. It can be made so it is not "toy like" as you called it.

Willie .... It looks like you will have a busy piggyback facility based on all the TOFC flat cars and trailers I see.

Everybody ..... Have a great day !

Good morning. Another month shot in the butt. A couple of eggs scrambles, home fries, sausage patties and rye toast please.

We did make it up to 90 degrees yesterday. We usually cool down at night into the 50's or low 60's but our little doxie sure doesn't like it. I think she has found a cool place here laying on the cool tile floor with a breeze coming in from the front door. Having a fur coat doesn't help.

xya.jpg One of her favorite positions.

Willie
- Enjoy the dog sitting. Your beer should be safe. Like that little office building. I also have a number of small buildings like that scattered around the layout. They do add a lot of interest. You must have had a senior moment when you put the trailer flats together. Glad that you got that water heater figured out. A lot cheaper than a service call.

Sherrel - Quite the drive in drug store photo. The driver must have had his train of thought derailed. Glad to hear that your wife will be coming home. Hoping for a rapid recovery.

Alan - I agree with you on the Evergreen clear sheets. Always have a few on hand. Makes excellent window glazing.

Curt - You sure are making a lot of steady progress. Keep the photos coming.

Joe - That's an excellent photo of those GG-1's. Thumb up.gif I am not liking the idea of possible dismantling my layout but I have run out of room to add any more structures and it is operating exactly the way it was designed to work. We haven't carved anything in a rock yet about moving. We like the home just the way it is, but just can't stand all of the people who have moved into the area in recent years. They come here with pockets full of money, drive the housing prices up and then want everything that they had from where ever they move from here. Their attitude really sucks. Also with my eyesight deteriorating over the past few years I am finding it so much harder to work on detailed items like I used to.

The wife is in town doing the weekly shopping and I have the laundry detail to take care of. Have to try to find the box for the Rapido RDC so I can take it to the club tonight.

I am not a city person by any means but really liked this shop.

FB_IMG_1595896672687.jpg

Later

Willie, grab some .005 clear styrene off the Evergreen rack. I think that Walthers stuff is too thick and clunky looking anyway! On small windows, try microscope cover slips. You can get them from Amazon. Real glass looks awesome. You can get 200 cover slips for like 6 bucks.
Alan - Thanks for the comment. I actually have some Evergreen .005" clear styrene (and I know where it is!), but my reason for using the Walter's overly thick glass is twofold. First, I an an extreme tightwad and try to use everything that I paid for, and secondly, given the size of the windows and the location of the structure on the layout, it won't be noticeable at all. :cool:
It is interesting that I have never tried microscope slip covers. I have read and heard about them for over thirty years now, but I have never actually seen them in use. I even have experience as a professional glass cutter and have several glass cutting tools stashed away somewhere. I hand-cut thousands of pieces of glass for windows in the days before I decided that supervision and management was a less physical (and less dangerous) manner of earning a living.

Whoops, got locked of the ol' coffee shop...

--McLeod
--Garry
Thank you guys for that! So far this has been an abnormally hot summer, and we've still got August to go.
The cell phone camera is pretty easy and does a good job, haven't used the Cannon Power Shot SX10 for quite a while now.
There is some railroad in the picture, in the fore ground is the tracks of the ex SP Modoc line running from Klamath Falls Ore. to Alturas Cal.
Everybody be safe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back