Running Bear's April 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

The rain Willie eluded to gave us about a quarter of an inch locally. More of a drizzle, but some is better than none. Supposed to be 74° later and about 65° tomorrow.

Found out one of my uncles is in the ICU with covid. He's 83 or 84, 2 years younger than mom. Mom will be 86 in August. Apparently the whole family has it. Not sure I'd go to the funeral as they live in Michigan. Most of his kids i haven't seen in nearly 45 years.

Got stuff to get to...BBL

Well, howdy there internet peeps.

It's Troy again.

Today is the day to see if I have enough benchwork prebuilt to reuse, or is it going to be a full tear-down and rebuild. Jigsaw puzzle time, I guess. ;)

For those of you with multi-deck layouts, I'm hoping for an 18-inch track top to track top between the decks. My question is: Lower level at sitting height? That would put the upper deck about standing height.

I'm thinking 34 inch for lower level. And 52 for upper?

For the record, I'm 5'10" in shoes.

Good Morning All! Also those who need a bigger house for that 2nd Helix and 2nd level.

44F @ 64%, sunny and clear. Weather guessers are saying 80F around 1700. Good thing we will be back in the house by then!

Welp, all of the Cottonwood is now near the burn pile, no more down anywhere else! There are about 15 3Ft chunks which *should* give out their last BTU's today/tonight. Still have to play a little tomorra as the burnt ends need to go away ( kick them together on the pile ) and we have pieces of OSB, pallets and other wood that needs to go away also. Glad it is almost done - really did not know if we were gonna get it all as everybody is tired of it.

So, Tuesday we are off to Kalispell or CDA for Lam Flooring and could get started on the upstairs Wednesday.

As to deck heights - I setup temporary adjustable shelving on one of the Train Cave walls just to see what I could see. I determined that 36" lower and 56" upper is best suited for me. Ima 5'10". My bench width is no more than 30" wide so reaching in on the lower level is not an issue and I can get under it without scrunching down too much. The upper level will require a small step stool or movable platform to do the maintenance and construction stuff. Well I guess that I could strap on my stilts depending on how much needs to be done.

Track on the lower level is at least 4" from back wall/divider; upper level is at least 6" from the back wall/divider which *should* allow reaching in for errant engines/cars and uncoupling.

Y'all be good!

Later

A last one for the fun:

52.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the original Harry Nice Bridge(US 301), which is the first bridge over the Potomac.
The Nice bridge is significantly older. The Morgantown Power Plant, an important Conrail Customer, was on your right, just after crossin in to Maryland. The truck stop that was across 301 fromthe power plant had good coffee, and decent ham and egg sandwiches on a roll with home fries as a side. Notice, I said Ham, not Taylor Ham.

Welp... not much can be reused as is. But, I'm planning on 24" upper level along the two walls, so a lot of the 24 inch wide previous sections will get a second life up there.

right now I'm fairly committed to a helix, and starting with a U shape. Future expansion depends on my mood/time commitment, and how the right-of-way negotiations with the Yard Master (SWMBO) turn out. I suspect I'll need to get the U on both levels substantially complete.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 1.18.40 PM.png

The white shelf runners on the back wall will come down. Currently debating on how wide to make the main aisle. Pictured is 36" wide. I moved the peninsula on the left in 12" to see how a 24" aisle felt. Too crowded, even if I'm it.

Peninsula to the right is looking to be 42" so I can get my 17" radius curves at that end (N scale). Back wall section will be 36". Maybe 32.

The left Peninsula is tagged for 54" since I'll have access both side. Support 2x4 verticals will rise from the center line to support a two-sided upper deck.

Anyone see any major issues? I'm going to start tearing apart the old sections I know won't work in the new layout. Tomorrow (Sunday) will be board-cutting and assembly.

Good Afternoon. 54°, and cloudy, with a persistent East wind. The rain finally stopped...for now. Rainfall totals, today 2.32", yesterday 0,64", 0.21 Thursday. Inside temperature is a constant 70°. Wet weather will continue through Monday, then return Wednesday. Typical Spring at the Jersey Shore.

Even though I was quite sore overnight, I was so tired that I slept well, even with the regular 0400 piss call. It seems that the only time I have pain, is when I'm in bed. Maybe, we need a new mattress, although I'm in no mood to spend $1200 to $1600 to find out.

Today has been pretty lackluster, I spent the morning, adding phone numbers to my new phone's contact list. I transferred itfrom the old phone, then purged obsolete numbers and updated the keepers. Now I'm adding stuff that I should have entered before, but didn't. I watched a few U-tube videos to pass the time, and at 4:05PM the Mets vs, Atlanta @ Citi Field are on Fox 5.

Troy: I'm following your layout build. Likewise, Willie, I'm following your P2K Covered Hopper Build. I really need to get back in the grove with some of my projects

Army Aviation has suffered several fatal incidents this month. I'm following the stories with a heavy heart.

CNJ - Jersey City Terminal - FML leading train.jpg

Early 50s view of CNJ's FM fleet hauling commuters out of the Jersey City Terminal. - Photographer information on Photo border. I have one of the early decoder equipped Atlas versions. The decoder is wonky and should be replaced...but as long as it's working....nah!

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a few small chores then I finished my current tree project, and everything is "planted". I was going to order more sagebrush from Scenic Express, but they want $23 shipping! 😲 Tomorrow during my walk time it's supposed to be raining, but I'll still get up at 5:30 am and hope for the best. I can always go back to bed.

Smudge- Exactly right about seller communications. Interesting video.

Terry- You are in my thoughts.

John- The last beer looks interesting.

Willie- Nice job on the build and scenes.

Joe- I love the look of the H10-44.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a few small chores then I finished my current tree project, and everything is "planted". I was going to order more sagebrush from Scenic Express, but they want $23 shipping! 😲 Tomorrow during my walk time it's supposed to be raining, but I'll still get up at 5:30 am and hope for the best. I can always go back to bed.

Smudge- Exactly right about seller communications. Interesting video.

Terry- You are in my thoughts.

John- The last beer looks interesting.

Willie- Nice job on the build and scenes.

Joe- I love the look of the H10-44.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt: There is something about the CNJ...I don't know if it's the absurdity of it's existence or what. When I was qualifying the New York Division back in 1972, much of their equipment looked like the B&O, except for the Lady Liberty logo, instead of the Capital Dome. Prior to that, as a Fireman, on the BL-6 coming out of Potomac Yard VA, there was the B&O "Hudson Train" doubling out on a adjacent lead, powered by 4 ex B&O F-7s lettered with the Lady Liberty Logo. Seems the CNJ was everywhere, Pennsylvania, Reading Terminal Philadelphia, The Northern Shore of New Jersey, backwoods South Jersey. They had primitive commuter coaches, and RDCs, Big Power FM Trainmasters and Baby Trainmasters. Dual Control GP7s and RS-3s with primitive head end power units, RSD-4s andevery kind of switcher and small road switcher imaginable. A truely amazing railroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back