Running Bear's April 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon gang!!

No trains last night. Someone took out the utility pole at the entrance to our neighborhood last night, and walked away. This left us in the dark from sunset to about 2:30 this morning. Thank goodness for pizza delivery!

Woodstove emission. I have a Vermont Castings woodstove with a catalytic converter. Engaging it really gets the heat flowing, with almost no smoke. Problem is, it gets too hot even with a small fire, consequently I only engage it when the outside temps are in the single digits or lower, and that may only occur a few days a year.

Whining shall be met with 50 lashes with a wet noodle!!

BBL

CN also uses very small diesels. 🤣 🤣 🤣

61.jpg

Good Morning All. Foggy and 49° here, although not as foggy as an hour ago. OK day yesterday, moderate temperatures and the sun finally came out around 4:00 pm. The NWS is predicting strong storms this afternoon , but right now they all appear to be staying north of the Red River in OK. But this is North Texas in the springtime and severe weather with thunderstorms, high wind, hail and tornadoes can pop up at any time. OR, nothing can happen as the NWS has been wrong!

Yesterday's grocery/beer trek went as planned, but with the addition of picking up my "ears". Grocery prices seem to have stabilized but are not coming down. Gasoline prices have fallen about 10¢ a gallon to the $3.19-$3.25 range. Bad news at the deli counter though. Boar's Head is no longer going to supply them with the liverwurst that I purchase pretty soon, meaning that I will be stuck with Oscar Mayer.

Don't know what today has in store yet. Despite the almost inch of rain Wednesday night, I should probably mow the yard somewhere just to get ahead. Rain all soaked in and no puddles even formed. The SW corner over the septic area is a likely candidate. I haven't really developed a good rotation yet this season.

Several things out in the train shed yesterday. I added some more weeds to the refinery scene and added more parts to the P2K covered hopper kit. I'm making progress on both. Took no pictures of either. I am at the grab iron stage of the hopper and haven't broken or lost one of their plastic ones yet. I will be continuing with both projects later today. Meanwhile I spoke with Chet for about 45 minutes yesterday and I will be getting a few more Logan Valley items off his hands.
In lieu of current project pictures, here are some from the archive. Actually these are all inspirational pictures that I collected over the years from either layouts of prototype operations that I would like to duplicate someday. I am sorry that I cannot credit the original photographer on these as I didn't notate that information.
View attachment 167367
View attachment 167368
View attachment 167369

Sherrel - Condolences on the loss of your two "children". I know that they both enjoyed running around my yard a few years ago, including the mud bath in my pond.
Todd - You have posted before and again yesterday regarding the EPA getting involved with chimney smoke. I am obviously not aware of restrictions on this, and have heated the whole house exclusively with a woodstove for 42 years. Can you elaborate for me? Good luck with the home rehab and be more careful with the cottonwood!
Mike (CGW) - Thanks for the invite, but a Northern Illinois trip is not on my bucket list!;)
Moermusic - That calculator picture sure brings back memories. I still have mine.
Louis - Don't worry! Only the Colt 45 picture offended me!;)

I am enjoying those beer pictures, it was interesting to see what each member enjoys. We never had a complaint about all of the whiskey pictures that have been posted before!
Me thinks that something was taken out of context.

I'm all in favor of whining. Oh! wait, I'm in favor of wining as in wining and dining!

Today is National Arbor Day. Plant a tree or two to reduce CO₂ levels.
Everyone have a wonderful Friday.
Willie- my only use for whiskey is for the base for my bbq sauce. Now brandy, OTOH, is a requirement up here for an Old Fashioned.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who are afraid whenever Christian starts playing with PhotoShop.

It's Troy again, and I'm subjecting myself to something well outside my normal skill set. I'm learning how to use RailModeller Pro (for Mac).

I've had it for a few years, and now I remember how my brain and cad programs don't get along very well. But, if I can learn Photoshop and Lightroom, I can learn this.

Figured I'd be better off on building the benchwork if I had a halfway decent plan on paper.

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.51.55 PM.png

First problem is sorting through all of the varieties of track manufacturers and types to find a curve with the correct dimension... figure out that's a double or triple track at 17.5 radius... 18 is my max radius... Finally found in Atlas enough parts to do the right curves, and flex track. Then I learned how to bend and connect and shorten flex track.

Now I'm trying to get elevations right.
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 2.40.13 PM.png

What else can I learn?

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 67F and getting up to the high 80's today. We've received about 2.5 inches of rain so far this week with rain scheduled until Monday. After breakfast I did several chores including draining water from the pool. I thought I would be able to sit down and take a break but I was drafted to chauffeur MOH to 3 stores. I'm sitting on my backside for the rest of the day. I'll get back to the trees tomorrow.

Speaking of computers, our first computer was a Apple 2E pro. No memory at all.

Dave- I don't do much of drinking but my go to is Guinness.

Sherrel- I am so sorry for your loss.

George- I am very sorry for your loss also. We bury our fur family in our yard also.

TomO- I also retired on 1 Sep, 2014 at age 59. I retired when I did because I was emotionally drained from dealing with people's BS and feeling of entitlement that is so prevalent these days.

Tom- Enjoy the show.

Joe- Beautiful SR or SS.

Louis- I don't follow BB, but reading your posts it sounds like the Orioles are on a roll.

Christian- I see you are conducting passenger excursions on your layout now!

Smudge- I hope you find what you need.

I hope everyone has a good night.

George- I am very sorry for your loss also. We bury our fur family in our yard also.
28 years of dogs Curt. Buried Tiffy under the backyard bush this morning. Lucky, Gidget. Lady and Tiffy all buried under the back yard bush. I don't no why but I don't have a photo of Lucky or Tiffy just Gidget and Lady. Back when Gidget & Lady were doing agility.
Swal

back_yard_bush.JPG
Gidget_over_Jump.jpg
Lady_sitting.JPG

RE my earlier post regarding the Faller Bridge, I emailed the original vendor, who was it seemed quite put out that I wanted the order cancelled and a refund, seem's he had already ordered the kits I wanted (and probably a load of other kits too) from Faller at quote "great expense".
I simply pointed out that if he had communicated with me I wouldn't need to cancel the order as I would not have found other means of acquiring the kit's I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back