Running Bear's April 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the good news today is that I got my original hearing aids back. They weren't upgraded, but were fixed. I wasn't going to pay the $300 for the upgrades, at least not yet! I was actually OK with the loaners which were identical to mine anyway. The good part of it was that they called me while I was still in town; I was about 5 minutes away from leaving on the journey home. I wouldn't have answered the phone while driving home and it would have meant a 50 mile round trip to retrieve them.

Am sorry to hear that - loosing a pet is hard, very hard :(
We had to put our Chiquita (half chihuahua, half Australian terrier) down just before Christmas, after caring for her with a cancerous tumor for a year-and-a-half. She seemed to be doing okay, and all of a sudden started screaming in pain! Vet couldn't do anything more for her. Especially tough on my wife, who had been giving her most of her meds. I, too, loved that little dog. We had her from a pup 13 years ago. Her kennel mate, Lucy, a 12 year-old cockapoo stopped eating and slept most of the day and night. My wife found a cocker spaniel pup at a local pet store. He is a bundle of energy and into everything at six months old now. We've had three different trainers, with the most recent doing quite well at getting both him and us trained. At least he has gotten Lucy out of her funk. She has bonded with him, and will play, although at 12 she gets tired at night, and will jump up on her chair (a recliner we don't use). If he gets too playful, she will growl and sometimes snarl at him, although she isn't aggressive toward him. Keeping up with feeding both dogs has kept my wife's mind somewhat over the loss of Chichi. (Neither dog will eat much dry dog food. They prefer hamburger, chicken and prime rib! They eat better than we do!

Good evening. 48° and "fair" outside. 64° and freaking cold inside. We have a portable heater, boxed on an overhead shelf in the garage. The wife didn't want me to hurt myself getting it down, so...we are used to 72° inside. Funny how some people can walk around in shorts and t-shirt, while I sit inside with sweatshirt hoodie and watch cap on. The current weather pattern will continue through next Thursday. Heavy rain is predicted for Saturday, so it looks like my yard doesn't get cleaned for another week. I give up.

On the bright side, both the Mets and the Orioles won tonight. Interesting statistic...as of right now, the Orioles are #2 in the whole American League, and # 3 in the Major League Standings... wow! I hope they can sustain the momentum. Free game tomorrow night...cool!

Have a good night.

Four Susquehanna Bridges - photo by Spike  Settles.jpg

Aerial view of the four bridges across the Susquehanna River linking Cecil County and Harford County Maryland. In the foreground, the Amtrak bridge, then the Hatem Bridge (US 40), then the CSX (B&O) bridge, finally the Tydings Bridge (I-95). US 1 crosses further up stream, but the highway runs over the Conowingo Dam. Very cool shot by Spike Settles.

Well, the good news today is that I got my original hearing aids back. They weren't upgraded, but were fixed. I wasn't going to pay the $300 for the upgrades
Willie - I don't wear hearing aids, but I'm trying to imagine a hearing aid upgrade:
Upgrades.png

Sherrel - I'm very sorry to read about your best friends. I know you are taking it hard, and I know what it's like. Hope you feel better soon.
Moermusic - Nobody knows what a slide rule is these days. I've asked various youngsters (teens), and they don't have a clue.

Have a great night, everyone!

Good evening. 48° and "fair" outside. 64° and freaking cold inside. We have a portable heater, boxed on an overhead shelf in the garage. The wife didn't want me to hurt myself getting it down, so...we are used to 72° inside. Funny how some people can walk around in shorts and t-shirt, while I sit inside with sweatshirt hoodie and watch cap on. The current weather pattern will continue through next Thursday. Heavy rain is predicted for Saturday, so it looks like my yard doesn't get cleaned for another week. I give up.

On the bright side, both the Mets and the Orioles won tonight. Interesting statistic...as of right now, the Orioles are #2 in the whole American League, and # 3 in the Major League Standings... wow! I hope they can sustain the momentum. Free game tomorrow night...cool!

Have a good night.

View attachment 167347
Aerial view of the four bridges across the Susquehanna River linking Cecil County and Harford County Maryland. In the foreground, the Amtrak bridge, then the Hatem Bridge (US 40), then the CSX (B&O) bridge, finally the Tydings Bridge (I-95). US 1 crosses further up stream, but the highway runs over the Conowingo Dam. Very cool shot by Spike Settles.
And I’ve driven over all three highway crossings. As well as the PA Turnpike & Wrights Ferry Bridge(Hwy 30) at Columbia, PA.

My high school (in Mass) was the/one of the launch high schools for the educational variant of the C64 (the computer wasn't different though the rainbow label came later and our school ones didn't have that label). There was a big launch party with speeches and demos and catered food and big wigs from the Commodore HQ in PA were there. My friends and I, part of the computer classes at school, were asked to help out at the event -- we gladly did because of the food but we disdained the computers themselves, being Atari men that we were (Atari 800 class computers, not the Atari game system).

I did a bunch of programming of them in the last two or three years of high school but it was enough. Never owned one myself.

The C64 had the 6510 chip in it, which was basically a 6502 with some extra I/O pins/ports built in to the chip. The C64 ran its chip at around 1mhz, like the Apple II ran its 6502 CPU. The Atari 400/800 ran its 6502 at 1.79mhz so was a bit faster in raw speed. Those were the days when computers were interesting, because the technology was changing fast but was very crude by todays standards. But because we didn't have the background of technology (didn't grow up with it), it was all new and cool. Most of you guys are my age or older so you know what I am talking about.
Thanks for sharing your experience, interesting stuff!

I never had but I wanted an Atari computer. I did have an Atari 2600. I loved that thing!

Even at our age many of us have lived longer with computers than without. Yes, computers were cool and still are to me. I can't imagine life without them now. Especially those little handheld ones we Americans call cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back