Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there model railroad people,

I fired up the Joe today, and am attempting to smoke a chuck roast. Similar to a tritip in method, but much cheaper if I screw it up.

Here it is with the bark almost formed. Still have a few spots that are not passing the scratch test

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 3.20.00 PM.png

And here's the auto-theo-meter probe thingy's screen (you can see it sticking in the left side of the roast).

The app warned me that there would be a stall period, when the fat rendered and the estimated cook time would go haywire... Last readout it gave was 11 hours left, then it punted and said "estimating"

Should ramp back up and start climbing in half an hour.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 3.20.18 PM.png

Morning all,

Currently 63° breezy. Supposed to get to 84° and windy later. Yesterday we had gusts to near 40 mph and are expecting much the same today. I don't mind some wind, but it just doesn't seem to quit at times.

Got a bunch more stuff out of the garage and basement. I pulled a desk that belongs to the daughter building a house out of the garage and into the now cleared out son's room and brought the slow computer upstairs. It is about 12-13 years old but has been as updated as it can be. Currently taken over 12 hours to update to the current version of windows. Some of that is my still slow internet.

Post later from the office.

Morning all,

Currently 63° breezy. Supposed to get to 84° and windy later. Yesterday we had gusts to near 40 mph and are expecting much the same today. I don't mind some wind, but it just doesn't seem to quit at times.

Got a bunch more stuff out of the garage and basement. I pulled a desk that belongs to the daughter building a house out of the garage and into the now cleared out son's room and brought the slow computer upstairs. It is about 12-13 years old but has been as updated as it can be. Currently taken over 12 hours to update to the current version of windows. Some of that is my still slow internet.

Post later from the office.
And 10 has just had a big do-over update too.

Troy -- I think I would Sous Vide the Chuck first then smoke it for a while to get the bark on it. There are a bunch of websites and places to go for how-to on doing the Sous Vide and then smoker afterwards.
I've been avoiding the idea of purchasing yet another kitchen contraption. ;) The problem with a small galley kitchen is the lack of room and storage for gadgets. My espresso machine, and my wife's countertop stand mixer seem to be the exceptions where we stop.

For this cook, I believe the bark took so long because I used the rub raw on a chilled cut. Several pitmasters have suggested that I should apply a sauce for binding the rub. It would cook off, and help caramelize the bark earlier. And, I should have started my dry salt brine the day before. Which I forgot.

Ah, the joys the learning a new cooking method. Came out yummy, but a tad dry. I'll sauce up the leftovers.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 6.26.14 AM.png

Troy: When I smoke meat, I always let it come close to room temperature before setting it in the smoker. It produces better results.
You are correct that when it hits about the 160° mark, the water in the meat starts to turn to steam and actually slows the meats temperature rise due to evaporation (similar to sweat). Some people use what they call "The Texas Crutch". Wrap it in aluminum foil or butcher paper at about 160 and let it finish. This also helps keep some of the moisture in the meat. Of course I use a water pan in my smoker which helps as well. I don't know if that's an option with the kamado style unit you have. I will say I haven't done as much this past 12-18 months as I'd like.

When I came back from my December trip, I brought back my parent's Portable Kitchen grill\smoker. My brother and I bought it with our paper route money for one of their anniversaries while I was in HS. (I started my freshman year in Kansas). I need to get it fixed properly as over the years the bolts failed along with the fire grate. Dad has some odd bolts in it that need to be replaced. The wife thinks I need to pass it down to the boy who will need a grill. I will probably do that but not before I use it once I get it "restored". Since it's cast aluminum, it won't get painted and it won't rust (except for the wrong bolts). Supposed to be pretty close to a kamado style grill\smoker due to the thickness of the metal.

Last edited:
How about a model railroading question, not that I don't love a charcoal grilled Porterhouse now and then! I'm looking for Plastic to be used as a back ground material. Styrene is the preferred product, in 4 X 8 sheets. Does anyone have a supplier?

Flo, I'll have some coffer and a Danish this morning, along with a Porterhouse on the side!!!

Last edited:
ow about a model railroading question, not that I don't love a charcoal grilled Porterhouse now and then! I'm looking for Plastic to be used as a back ground material. Styrene is the preferred product, in 4 X 8 sheets. Does anyone have a supplier?

Flo, I'll have some coffer and a Danish this morning, along with a Porterhouse on the side!!!
Amazon has it in either .010" or .020".
.010"
.020"
Google for other thicknesses.

I weathered up the oil tank and mounted it to the platform. It was an interesting process I hadn't tried before. First you brush on several rust colors of chalk, down the sides of the tank. Then you dip a 1/4" wide brush in alcohol and touch it to the top rim and let the alcohol run down the side of the tank. Then you repeat the process with brown chalks, let it dry and more dry chalks. It gives a pretty realistic appearance I think. You just have to remember to keep your fingers off of the tank, as these chalks aren't sealed. The instructions don't call for that, but I'm going to do it anyway. Here are a couple of in process shots of the process. The build is on the down hill side now, with the last piece of wood construction being a piece of fence, then getting the base ready and painting all of those lovely resin castings.

Tank weathering 1.JPG

Tank Weathering 2.JPG

Tank Mounted.JPG

I did some various small project things in the train shed. I took the school bus in Vernon off the layout for cleaning, and decided to add a driver.

After sifting through figures, I came across a gentleman that I had to do surgery on in order to make him fit.
View attachment 127393
View attachment 127394
Of course, when putting that bus back into the same position, one cannot see the driver. So I reversed it and backed it up a bit around the turn in the road do this is the view now.

So while on the subject of figures, here is the backlog of unfinished figures on my workbench.
View attachment 127399
I've been lazy to a degree with figures, preferring the painted ones. This may change when I build a layout but right now they mostly go inside vehicles and passenger trains. There is a Chinese seller on e-Bay who offers 1/100 scale painted figures and they're cheap. I find them ideal for inside vehicles and passenger cars. You still end up with some amputees, but in general it's an easier fit. If I'm doing a dome car, I'll splurge and use Preisers.

ALAN - I have been guilty of NOT commenting on your build lately but I read them all). You sort of lost me on the wash for the tank - going to have to study that a little slower.

PATRICK, TROY, and others. Like what you guys do with the grills and smokers. After my episode with the grill - I was looking at some of the HD offerings when I was grabbing some Silicone the other day. Not really impressed - daughter says get a Traeger? (spelling)
WOAH - too much $ for an almost 79 YO that we would only use 2-3 times a month?
Going to look around some more - the Spousal Unit says that we should just use the portable grill that we use with the RV which is a pretty good idea! I think that is what we will do for a while.
I may even just repair the old one. All I need to make it work again is a regulator and hose to replace the "burned" one from the fire.

I have to rollout the trash containers right now as I was too lazy to do it last night.
Then take CHARLIE - the Bichon/Poodle for his bi-monthly (been 3this time) haircut at the MIL's house.
Then I have to pick up the two sisters and take them to the Doctor's for staple and suture removal - then I get to see if they look younger or not? I may even post a photo? Going to be a pretty busy day ... not to mention that I have to pick up the house from being a single guy for a week!

BBL

Good Morning.
The outdoor thermostat says it's 38°F, and all I see looking up, is blue sky. So, I suppose it's going to be a nice day and I can finish the lawn edging I started yesterday. I also ran a rented aerator over my and the neighbors lawn yesterday, effectively camouflaging the dog poop his pet has left behind.

Not sure if I'll get any modeling time in over the next 4-days. The wife is home, and wants to do some things; mostly yard work.
But! - Sooner or later I'll be tripping downtown with her, so I'll be able to get more prototype rail photos. That's what I do when she goes into the grocery.

I hate shopping with her, anyway. My thoughts are; get in, get out! Her thoughts are to read every product label.

I haven't done any more on the boat, but, I can't make a post without photographs; it's against my religion. So you'll have to settle for some odd photos:
Here's the first 1/87th scale building I ever tried to scratch-build. This is from a time I had no more than some slabs of balsa. So I scratched up everything out of that material; even the windows and doors. Here it is in primer:
First Scratch.JPG

I'd like to think I've made some advances since building that small structure.

And here's a prototype open boxcar, photographed on a train on the move. I don't usually see open boxcars on moving trains, but, I don't think this one is going very far. Possibly only as far as the nearby pulpmill.
DWC 558554_04-15-2021.jpg

That's all I have for today! - Thank you for the likes on these simple, mindless post's written while sipping the Jo.
Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 62°, the SE winds have been pretty steady at 16-20 mph since yesterday morning. Most likely dry enough this morning to resume my spring time hobby of mowing, especially after Friday's nearly 3" of rain. Only made it to 80° yesterday, today is expected to be warmer before more thunderstorms tomorrow night into Thursday. It would be nice if it were warm enough to take the cover off the pool to take advantage of this free water to fill it back up, but that would mean pouring chemicals into it for 3-4 weeks before we could actually use it.

How about a southwest omelet along with a pile of sausage links this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress pictures; Karl, Hughie, Gary, Sherrel, Patrick, Guy, Garry, Rick, Joe, Tom, Chad, Alan.

Fairly productive day in the train shed yesterday, considering that it was a Sunday, church etc. I added figures to both the Food Mart and the cafe/deli, and a couple of vehicles to the parking area, after dull coating everything and adding license plates to one.
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6111.JPG

I am leaving the area to the left of the food mart blank for right now as I am not sure what I am going to do with it.
IMG_6114.JPG

I am not planning to put any structure there, as I need to be able to comfortably use the ground throws immediately behind the area. I am leaning towards just making a fenced-off vacant lot plastered with "No Trespassing" signs.
Meanwhile I added some more scenery to the left of that.
IMG_6113.JPG

Over to the north (right) of this whole scene, between the photographer and the motorcycle repair shop, I added a dead end road, sidewalk and stripes.
IMG_6115.JPG

There's a paved alley behind the photo shop, and there will be a gravel alley going in behind the cycle repair shop.
Still adding color to some of the figures on the workbench. I also had to replace a downspout on a structure that I knocked off while vigorously cleaning.

Ken - Alan gives good advice regarding using Prilosec for GERD. I use a generic version through my mail-order prescription plan (prescribed by my doctor of course), that cost me just under .09¢ a day.
Hughie - Nice photo yesterday.
Alan - Your modeling of O'Neils continues to keep my interest. It's going to be a "killer" model when completed.
Your mention of the 1/100 figures from China is fascinating. I have three Greyhound buses as well as that school bus to populate. The 1/87 and the model vehicle makers just don't match.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and don't work too hard Karl.

Open boxcar doors started being discouraged around the time of the first oil crisis in the mid 1970s. The open doors caused more wind drag, and the engines used more fuel as a result. CSX also slowed down many of their non priority trains for the same reason. They went from 60 to 50, and saved literally tons of diesel, without adding significantly to transit times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back