Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. Supposedly it's National Jelly Bean Day.

The following is copied from a post I just did over on the Book of Feces. Some of it y'all may already know:

A lot has happened since the last update, not all of it good, and not all of it to do with Marie.
First, she was transferred tonight to a rehab facility, where she will be held in quarantine for two weeks with no visitors. She was in the hospital for almost exactly thirty days.
Last Saturday, she had an assisted fall in the hospital. She wasn't injured, and the aid helping her was not injured.
She is still not as "clear" as she has been, some days are better than others. She has had a port put in for hemodialysis, rather than the home dialysis she has been performing.
I carried several changes of clothes, some personal care items, and her tablet to the facility, where I was met at the door, and had to hand it over to an employee.
And to add to the drama, I was eating dinner a week ago yesterday, and crunched down on a piece of lasagna that was still in its unprepared state, breaking a tooth off at the gum. I'll spare everybody more gruesome details, but it wasn't an enjoyable experience. Day before yesterday, I had that tooth, plus a second one I wasn't aware was in such bad shape, removed. There's more to the story, but that can be for another time.

Still no train time, but I did make it to the hardware to get more wire. I need to install a ceiling light over my painting/workbench area. I'll work on that this weekend.

Fired up the Kamado Joe (and didn't pull a Sherrel since it's charcoal).

View attachment 127344

Made an Angus Ribeye for the wife and I to share.

View attachment 127345

She's got a late call for work... the joy of working with people in Asia... sometimes it's their time zone you have to accommodate.

I promised her an Old-Fashioned when she got done with the call. Picked up Simple Syrup and bitters... Hope I can figure out the recipe by 8:30...
Would that be a Brandy or Whiskey Olde Fashioned?

In the mail Tuesday was a mass mailing from the dealership I bought the truck from saying that trucks like mine are in high demand and that they could sell me a newer truck for the same or lower than my current truck. Funny, I barely owned it 3 months when the mailing arrived and I deliberately didn't buy a newer one.

Patrick: Something tells me sales are bad, and they are trying to generate a sale. Over the past month, I have received the same sales pitch from the dealer i initially leased my 2016 F150 from, offering to "upgrade me From My XLT, 4x4 with V8 and 21,000 miles to a 2018 "King Ranch" with a 6 and FWD. The deal, my truck +my equity (I bought out the lease at a very favorable price) in exchange for the 2018. The targeted pitch, has come by e-mail, text message and post card. Not for nothing, I have the truck I want,with the trim I want. Otherwise, I would have just turned it in when the lease expired. not to mention that if the 2018 was so great, why is it still on the lot?

Best one was the call I received from a sales rep of my ISP, (Altice, formerly Cablevision). He was trying to sell me a TV package with an upgraded Internet (from 100 MBPS to 200 MBPS) plus a one year "deal" on TV and land line phone. He asked me how I received my TV from (Cable, satalite or Streaming), and I responded, over the air Antenna. He responded Antenna? how much does that cost you per month? o_Oo_Oo_O Can't make this stuff up.

Terry: Thanks for the update. I will refrain from commenting on the SNF's quarantine policy. I just hope they can help your wife so that she can come home with possibly some home health assistance supervised by a visiting nurse.

West Trenton engine 4-18-1976 - Gerry Meyle.jpg

Pre Conrail photo of SW 1001 at West Trenton, NJ Unit became CR 9415

Evening, been busy at work and was out a few days after the second covid shot. In the middle of it all I did get a delivery of a couple of ES44AC's. With the snow that came we had to put the plows back on a few trucks.Today was the first time I got a chance to look at them. More weathering to do.
IMG_4107.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg

Evening, been busy at work and was out a few days after the second covid shot. In the middle of it all I did get a delivery of a couple of ES44AC's. With the snow that came we had to put the plows back on a few trucks.Today was the first time I got a chance to look at them. More weathering to do.View attachment 127347View attachment 127348
Tom
Am I seeing things or is there some kind of window treatment on 3194 that blocks the view of the inside of the cab??

Things that make you say, " What The..."

I bought my new to me truck January 20th. In the mail Tuesday was a mass mailing from the dealership I bought the truck from saying that trucks like mine are in high demand and that they could sell me a newer truck for the same or lower than my current truck. Funny, I barely owned it 3 months when the mailing arrived and I deliberately didn't buy a newer one. This one wasn't a steal by any means, but it was a decent value (9 year old truck with 8250 miles). Being older tags, taxes and insurance are cheaper and I'm already knowledgeable about issues this truck may or will have.

Needless to say, they won't be seeing this truck on a trade anytime soon... 🤣
Patrick - I've been getting emails and text messages from the dealership where I bought my 2011 Toyota Camry SE, a "personal message" from the sales manager saying to "contact [him] ASAP!". The messages always say that demand for my type of car is "extremely high" and they will offer a "very generous" trade-in amount for it if I upgrade to one of their newer models. Well, of course demand for my car is high - Camrys with 280hp V6 motors only lasted a day or two on the lot before somebody got them; I contacted 5 dealers who listed them on their websites before finding one that had not already been sold - the last one was bought sight-unseen by an online customer while I was driving to that dealership to test-drive it! I wound up having to drive to a town 25 miles north of where I live before I found one still on the lot and unclaimed.

Just out of curiosity, I perused the online listing of cars they showed on their website after the most recent "urgent" message. Not a single one of them had a V6, in fact I'm not sure they even offer these later models with V6's anymore[?] I'm holding on to my car until (1) it has some catastrophic failure too pricey to fix, or (2) it gets totaled. I like my Camry just just the way it is: nothing ultra hi-tech, no on-star to spy on me, and no computer to decide for me when it is safe for me to shift gears.

Hello Shop Dwellers, it's 40*F and calm under partly cloudy skies here in the "Land of Pleasant Living."

Thanks, all of you who either liked or commented on my Tuesday post (no time to list names tonight, sorry!)

I didn't post here yesterday because I was in too much discomfort from my ulcer. I took half a sick day from work this morning just so I could ignore the alarm and catch a few extra hours' sleep, which I think helped a lot. I had much less pain today than I did yesterday. Needless to say, I'm staying away from spicy and acidy foods [which normally make up ~50% of my diet].

I'm also much less stressed-out about it, since my M.D. spouse managed to connect the dots on what led to my predicament. It all started in late January when my hematologist told me to take 1 "baby" aspirin every day, and to wear compression socks to minimize my chances of getting another blood clot. To me, that teensy 81mg aspirin was just another pill I have to take in addition to the other nine, which I swallow first thing every morning before fixing breakfast - I totally forgot I'm supposed to only take aspirin with food [dang CRS...]! She gave me "the look" when I admitted that mistake. So apparently, I've had excess acid sloshing around the top of my stomach every morning and didn't know it. That is, until I was getting out of the shower last Thursday morning and was bent over in a contorted position trying to pull one of the compressor socks over my right foot for ~5 minutes. That was when I first started feeling the pain at the bottom of my rib cage. Seems like some of the aspirin-induced stomach acid got pushed up into my esophogous and created the ulcer. OOOPS!🙄 Well at least now I'm confident I do NOT have the beginnings of esophogeal cancer since I have no problem swallowing my food. But I'm still gonna get the endoscopy in two weeks just to make sure...

I've been getting those sorts of postcards from one of the local VW dealers, telling me my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen is in great demand and they will give me top dollar. Been getting them for years (or similar, some of which mentioned my 2006 Passat a few years ago). What is funny is that VW did the buyback of both our 2013 Jetta Sportwagens back in 2016, and it was AT THIS SAME DEALERSHIP. So we don't even have the car(s) anymore and haven't had them since late 2016.

Also got the same postcards a few years ago about my 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Megacab. That I had long ago traded to get the 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagon (got the Jetta for "free" with some credit left over for a 7 year old Dodge that needed the relay board replaced ($1300+) and new tires at a minimum). The truck cost me a about $12K for the 7 years I had it. Love the Cummins as it helps hold value.

WELP! Just back from the mechanic's on the RV repair.
Ha - he stated that he has no idea how we managed to get it to run -- He estimated that there must be a dozen wires hooked up wrong? (I think he needs new glasses!) There is no way we made that many mistooks!

Recommended that Audio Revolution (next door to him) do the repairs. That type of wiring is what they do all day -- They estimated at least 10 hours work at $95 an hour. To replace the harness was ballparked at 4-5 thousand ; the wires run all over the RV.
I will take it back to them next Thursday!

Failed to post this about 8 hours back = claiming Senior's Moment!

Morning all,

I've been getting the car stuff for years as well. I just thought they'd wait longer than 90 days before asking me to trade it. Last 5 vehicles I've owned were all in my possession for longer than 12 years. I don't usually worry about resale as 3 of the vehicles went to the salvage yard by my hand. 1 was traded in and the truck was sold outright.

Time for coffee before work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back