Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 52°. In a couple of hours, the wind is going to severely increase in velocity from the north and today won't be much warmer than it is now. The closest precipitation is at least 300 miles north in the form of snow in Kansas. The NWS is sticking with it's prediction of a low tonight perilously close to freezing which I do not want to see. Tomato plants are too large to cover with my motley collection of nursery pots, but I can cover the peppers and the still small squash plants. The green bean row will be covered with a layer of hay, the same with some of the tomatoes. This basically protects everything from a frost which can occur at temperatures in the upper 30's. It appears though that the humidity is going to be low enough to keep the dew point (and hence the frost chance) low enough to not be a problem,. However we have all of the right conditions coming together for a freeze, no wind, no clouds, low humidity! The hay and pots will offer some degree of protection, but just before daybreak I will turn on the water sprinkler...the water temperature, while cool, is running about 50° right now and it will somewhat warm up the vicinity.
So much for my meteorology for the morning! Yesterday was a fine day here in the mid-70's and sunshiny. the kind of day that skin cancer doctors love to see! :( I finally fired up my chipper/shredder and made some mulch out of the mountains of trimmings still left from the winter/spring tree pruning and kindling preparation. The logs were done in January-March, now it's just the scraps and lots of them. I have one brush pile about 4' high and 8' in diameter plus a few smaller ones. When I was younger, I used to just start a large bonfire, which isn't against any regulations except during burn bans, but it is a bigger hassle than I wish to deal with any more. I had to watch things closely and be on standby too long. Invariably, some well-meaning passer-by would call county officials and the local VFD would have to waste their time coming to check it out. Of course it gave us all some socializing time besides the annual catfish fry fundraiser!

How about steak and eggs for breakfast this morning Flo.

Thanks for the comments and likes on my posts the last two days. I am really liking the new grill. Grilled BBQ chicken breasts with grilled yellow squash and hamburgers with lightly grilled sliced onions so far.

Very short time in the train shed yesterday, but I did get some additional detailing done on the cardstock market.
Meanwhile, the tour down Main Street in Vernon continues.
A rather non-descript City Hall made from Walther's modular walls.
IMG_5995.JPG

Here's a log shot showing the backyard across the tracks.
IMG_5996.JPG

A shot of the salon and another yard.
IMG_5997.JPG

The salon is a City Classics structure.
Next to it is a Grandt Line "Second Class Saloon",
IMG_6002.JPG

Tom O - Interesting description about Terry's garden. Seems like it should work.
Hughie - I guess that congratulations are in order for reaching 450!;)
Garry - Yes, there's quite a collection of vehicles out in front of the boutique.

Ah! Yes Patrick. Today is 4-20. I think that I remember it well.;)
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Morning - FLO - Just a couple sausage, cheese, and egg muffins this morning, please!
Am back on Taxi duty early out here. Both the girls have doctors appointments starting at 8:30 today. They survived the procedures yesterday and both came out looking something like a mummy. I was able to finally get home around 6 pm, feed the pups, feed myself, and turned in at 8:30 - I could not keep my eyes open.
It
s going to be another busy day today with running around, so I better shower, shave, and run.
Nice weather - sunny 48 at the moment and headed for 78 today - latter folks.
Play safe!

Good Morning!
The weather has been like riding a roller-coaster. Cool yesterday, sunny and warm today, warmer tomorrow, and then the cold with snow sets back in.

I got into a verbal battle with the town yesterday, over the water bill. They doubled it over last month, and when asked why they suggested my water meter was broken. When I asked them how much water I used, they said they don't know; that they estimated my usage. That's when I blew my lid.
They are charging me $125.00 for something they have no idea if I used or not, and have no way of proving I ever used that much water. To me, that is pure theft; robbery by the powerful over the weak. I won't stand for it. - They are coming tomorrow to change my water meter.

I like the photographs that were posted this morning! Jaz - Is you're Dingo an S-Model; I have two of the S-Model Dingo's. One built and one still to build.

Can't be here for long today, so I'll just drop a photo of the local switchers making dust, and be on my way:
04-15-2021 (13).JPG

Have a good one!

Good morning y'all. 59° and sunny, with a prospect that it will remain sunny and warm up to 75°, before the weather reverts to Spring time at the Jersey Shore. Since I'm in a Jersey state of mind, I'll have Taylor Ham and egg, with fried potatoes on a Portuguese Roll. Salt, Pepper and Ketchup of course. Two black coffees with that, all to go.

Willie: The spring freeze is inevitable, hope the tomato plants are OK. Since I only have three or four plants, usually those Orange Buckets from HD protect them, but when you plant in volume, it's a lot harder to protect them.

Garry: Somehow missed your post this morning, 1962 Impala. Shame the photographer didn't bring that in. Great cars back then.

Almost finished with my Accurail PC covered grain hopper. All that remains is painting the wheels, and dull coating the model prior to using my weathering powders.

V&M #20 Little Creek, VA W Calloway.jpg

Virginia and Maryland RS-1, sitting outside the old PRR Engine House at Little Creek, VA. Warren Calloway captured this scene in May 1977. This facility performed periodic inspections on PRR and PC power prior to Conrail. The mechanical forces employed here also maintained the Tug Boat Fleet and the Car Floats. Note the outline of the keystone sign that graced the enginehouse.

Last edited:
You mentioned the Mercury Comet as eye candy in the picture with the PC S2. the real gem to me is only partly visible. It is a white 1962 Chevrolet Impala convertible with black canvas top. That is exactly what I owned when I was much younger. Mine was white with the red stripe on the side like that one. Interior was red.

Cool. Come to think of it, Family friends had a '60 Imp Convertible.

Good morning.
All is not well in Mudville, may wife fell in the hospital, with no injuries, but she fell. That is a setback. A further setback is her CPAP machine failed last night. I now have to buy another one for her, for $530.
I just returned from the dentist, where I am scheduled to return later today for an extraction of the broken tooth. Total for extraction of two (!) teeth, plus the office visits, was $422.
Further work is required, where I need other teeth removed and a partial dental plate installed. Total for that is:

$16,422.50

Maybe I can sell a kidney, or something.

:(

Guy: I fought the same issue with my city utility department (not the one I work for). They replaced my meter and backed the bill to a more normal level. They kept saying I had leaks, but nothing was running loose. They had my average usage and credited me accordingly.

Terry: I had a choice to have a tooth extracted or a new crown (root canal on a crowned tooth), $75 to extract and $550 my portion for a new crown. I had the tooth pulled. Now even with insurance, I'm looking at $5500 for the implant and crown on the implant. I can still chew steak.....

Couple of inches of wet snow today, but the roads are clear. Sun is coming out and it will all melt way by early this afternoon. Springtime in the Rockies! Guess I'll get my x-rays taken today after all. Stop in town and visit the book store. Lot of excitement for one day...I may have to pace myself. :cool:

Good morning. Sunny out but the temperatures are only supposed to get into the mid 40's today before warming up yowards the end of the week. Didn't do much besides keeping the recliner on the ground and watching the TV.

Joe - Good photos. Like that Alco.

Terry
- Sorry to hear about your wife. That's a lot of $$ for a tooth. Murphy must have moved back in at your place.

Jaz
- Interesting photos.

Willie
- Great photos as usual. Thumb up.gif

Garry - Another outstanding photo. Like those city scenes.

Here are some photos from the club archives. The first is a slight derailment. NOT MY FAULT.

thumbnail_20181020_203504.jpg

thumbnail_20190822_144007.jpg
thumbnail_20190829_135301.jpg
thumbnail_20190905_152238.jpg

thumbnail_20190912_151401.jpg
thumbnail_20191005_202655.jpg
thumbnail_20190912_154336.jpg
thumbnail_20191005_200646.jpg
thumbnail_20200627_200529.jpg

Today is lunch in town with my bowling team mate.

LATER

On my lunch break today I stopped at a train shop to look at their used train selection. To my surprise I recognize the new HO collection that they are currently starting to sell off. The former owner was big into the steel mill industry. Lots of custom stuff, every car has KD couplers and metal wheels. Almost every flat car and Gondola has a load. Lots of stuff. From what I could see there is a lot of Reading, Lehigh Valley, some Conrail, some Western Maryland and a lot of his fictional steel road “Reeber Steel”. I picked up one Roundhouse gondola and a Proto2000 gondola for $8 each and a Chooch load for $2.50. I was told to check back weekly due to the size of the collection. Heard that there is more Conrail in there!
914573E7-B895-4CF9-807E-DFE5516939F1.jpeg

Good morning around 6:42am here as I start to type. Better sleep last night, slept till 6. The waves hitting the shore are soothing going to sleep but hearing them in the morning sort of seems to mean, get up.

Willie, I agree the garden should be fine. It’s the lettuce and a couple cooler weather things she was told may not grow well. She of course needs proof herself.

Chet, thanks for the great compliment. A great derailment shot, thanks for sharing that.

Troy, never heard of rubs on the sausage but anything goes when grilling, enjoy!

Real estate. The son called last night. He was at his property east of Austin around 5 acres and the contractor has some excavation equipment on site. As he was walking around he said a big Texas pick em truck came barreling out of the woods and guy asked he was the owner. Yep. Guy said mom and dad are thinking of selling and wondering if u want anymore property. So, son calls Dad, what do I think? My answer is well I am tapped out because of Hawaii. Son says, well he thinks it’s a good idea but now has to talk to his mother because she has been handling his finances for the past couple months. I then asked about the new business he wanted to start? Answer, couldn’t do it right so not doing it at all. Me thinking, my 35 year old baby is growing up. I know sometime today Terry will tell me she talked to him. Always something in the works in our family.

7970256A-F9FC-4452-A3BC-6BF65C23FEAB.jpeg

Greetings all.

Rode with a friend across town yesterday, and got to do some railfanning where a spur line crossed our main road. We've got a Norforlk Southern yard in town, and a 2 engine consist was moving cars out to local industries.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.56.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.56.18 PM.png

currently awaiting a visit by the construction guy to estimate our bath remodel. Wife wants the 30+ year old jacuzzie tub pulled out, and a walk in shower installed. I can do the vanity and such myself. But when it comes to rerouting drain lines and such, time to let the pros do it. Keeps my ceiling below from caving in under the leakage I'd be sure to get.

JAZ... any idea what the small armoured scout car in your scene is? Looks kind of like of Humber, but I can't place it. Lockdown has kept me out of the game stores too long. I'd know that car if I were still playing on a regular basis.

JAZ... any idea what the small armoured scout car in your scene is? Looks kind of like of Humber, but I can't place it.

I know I'm not Jaz, Troy, but this gives me an opportunity to show off mine, as well. I have two of those Dingo's... S-model are the only manufacturer that I'm aware of that makes the Dingo in small scale.
Here's the kit:
Dingo_04-20-2021 (2).jpg

And here's the one I built:
Dingo_04-20-2021 (1).jpg

Hopeyou don't mind me answering. I like to show-off, just like a little girl.

Good Morning!
The weather has been like riding a roller-coaster. Cool yesterday, sunny and warm today, warmer tomorrow, and then the cold with snow sets back in.

I got into a verbal battle with the town yesterday, over the water bill. They doubled it over last month, and when asked why they suggested my water meter was broken. When I asked them how much water I used, they said they don't know; that they estimated my usage. That's when I blew my lid.
They are charging me $125.00 for something they have no idea if I used or not, and have no way of proving I ever used that much water. To me, that is pure theft; robbery by the powerful over the weak. I won't stand for it. - They are coming tomorrow to change my water meter.

I like the photographs that were posted this morning! Jaz - Is you're Dingo an S-Model; I have two of the S-Model Dingo's. One built and one still to build.

Can't be here for long today, so I'll just drop a photo of the local switchers making dust, and be on my way:
View attachment 127190
Have a good one!
utilities always rely on the fact you won’t call them o n it, there is a known issue in the uk where they over charge the units and people do not check the meters,good for you standing up to them
the dingo is a corgi collectibles I think so a bought model not a kit in this case

I know I'm not Jaz, Troy, but this gives me an opportunity to show off mine, as well. I have two of those Dingo's... S-model are the only manufacturer that I'm aware of that makes the Dingo in small scale.
Here's the kit:
View attachment 127211

as do we all that’s we are on a forum,twitter you talk don’t listen,Facebook you show off get followers - but rarely get valuable feedback I did do a modelling group and it did well,but I got fed up with face ache and handed it over to a modeller who vastly improved whilst on the group, and he kept my moderators,it is still doing well, I prefer a forum people are there because they have similar interests,but I particularly like here as there is a sort of modelling club feel without having to get washed,gather my kit and drive to the club,then have to drive home,here I get to enjoy the atmosphere sat on my bum :)
EB5960EF-99B5-4344-BF67-0DEEEFB902E6.jpeg

I’ll try to pop up and look underneath for yo, I love seeing other people’s work,especially when personalised

On my lunch break today I stopped at a train shop to look at their used train selection. To my surprise I recognize the new HO collection that they are currently starting to sell off. The former owner was big into the steel mill industry. Lots of custom stuff, every car has KD couplers and metal wheels. Almost every flat car and Gondola has a load. Lots of stuff. From what I could see there is a lot of Reading, Lehigh Valley, some Conrail, some Western Maryland and a lot of his fictional steel road “Reeber Steel”. I picked up one Roundhouse gondola and a Proto2000 gondola for $8 each and a Chooch load for $2.50. I was told to check back weekly due to the size of the collection. Heard that there is more Conrail in there!View attachment 127207
Western Maryland you say? Do tell!

Here's the kit:
View attachment 127211

View attachment 127212

Battlefront (a wargaming company) makes Dingos in 1:100 scale for your TT scale modelers.

Warlord (another gaming company) makes them in 1:56 scale

I've even seen a dingo in person.... but it was open topped, which threw me off of this one.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 3.17.03 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back