Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie - I noticed that in the RR.net link you provided for CN 5326, the last 5 photos in the series are my photos taken in Whitecourt last year.
I didn't realize I already had photos of that locomotive, because I haven't filed the photos yet, that I took last week.

How about this one? Very early Frisco! Kansas City, Memphis, and Birmingham.

1618756828344.png

Willie: I love the new grill! Small side should be the firebox for the large smoker side.
As far as woods go, any fruit or nut wood works great. Not tried citrus wood, but have had apple, cherry, peach, pear (good use for the flowering pear trees that have no real use), mulberry, hickory, oak, walnut, although black walnut can be strong, ash, pecan. Mesquite is ok, but not my favorite. Flavor will be milder if you remove the bark.

Last edited:
Good early morning from the paradise called Maui. The weather at 5:50am Hawaii time is nice, the day will be in the 80’s. It has taken me a couple days adjusting to the time change but the sleep patterns will take longer. I have been awake generally at 4am but today made it to 5:30. My brother is awake but on the phone conducting business prior to his golf, yes even on Sunday. I don’t miss that nonsense at all. It is quiet and dark but I can hear the ocean waves.

Today, my wife, sister and brothers g/f will take me to see the property that was purchased in January for the family compound. I feel like the Kennedy’s when I wrote that. Vegetables are priced pretty high on the island and so far even after 3 months there has been no construction started. But, the gardener called my wife, has created a small plot to get veggies going. She ordered a greenhouse but it’s about 2 months out for delivery. I can tell you, no way will Terry miss her veggies.

I will be catching up on a few days of diner time but have run through the pictures and they are the usual, outstanding. Good to read some of the health issues are turning more positive but prayers are still needed.

I will check back in later and then occasionally, today will be my 1st time sit down inside restaurant dinner since March, 2020. 2.5 weeks now since the second jab but feel safe enough.

My Gp40-2w by Athearn Genesis.
TomO
3BEF1437-2027-4273-BBFB-FDF439BAECA5.jpeg
A856B892-7FF7-4244-8848-61817CEAF9AD.jpeg

EC231943-D473-4326-9032-5559BC7DEE87.jpeg
DF57F1DF-F781-4147-B51D-A27014D1EA97.jpeg

McLeod, I don't know if disciplined is the word. I have done other projects in between sessions on this one, and I'm motivating myself to finish it by doing an in depth build thread over on the Sierra West forum. you guys have been getting the "Cliff Notes". That thread has a much more detailed description of how this whole thing started and more commentary. If you like, you can view that here: Alan's O'Neill's Build - SierraWest Forum (craftsmankituniversity.com)

Willie, I think that's the Brass & Iron Foundry, and yes, it was designed to be the companion to this kit. I plan a small spur and will put these two industries on it, along with probably the best junkyard kit I've ever seen: Quincy's Salvage. You can see that kit here: SierraWest | Quincy Salvage (sierrawestscalemodels.com)
Here's the tower dock mostly done:
Tower Dock and Stair.JPG

Good Afternoon all! An overcast day with a slight chance of rain.
Had a really nice visit with our youngest yesterday, and our oldest is planning a visit today. Odd you feel like your breaking some kind of rule visiting with no mask and giving a hug.
Thanks for all the likes on the photos.
Willie - I have a smoker just like yours. My favorite is oak charcoal with a hint of mesquite, or oak charcoal and a moderate amount of pecan.

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and cool for the start of today.

Not a whole lot of modeling to report in this Thread. But, up to date news is important to me and maybe of some interest to our modelers.

Last week I had lunch with the President and CEO of a large electrical contractor and also my former assistant who has since changed his employer and occupation. I haven't seen either of them for at least 8+ years and it was like "Old Home Week" when we did some catching up on what we have been doing the past years. This CEO is one of the last contractors that I know that is of "Old School" when jobs were started and completed with only a hand shake between the customer and contractor. (The corporate heads loved the lack of paperwork.)

We had a major flood that caused just short of a million dollars of damage to the Central Plant and the CEO had a crew start reconstruction the same day after receiving just a phone call. No PO's or contracts.

TomO: Always enjoy seeing your modeling work! I like the CN locomotive. I see a lot of the locos on the CN mainline just several miles west of my house.

I'm still having some trouble walking with a cane so I use one of those walkers with a seat. On next Tuesday at the Athletic Club, my Fitness Trainer will start me on a program to correct these troubles.

I have the urge to purchase something online for the railroad today.

That's all for now.

Greg

########################

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and cool for the start of today.

Not a whole lot of modeling to report in this Thread. But, up to date news is important to me and maybe of some interest to our modelers.

Last week I had lunch with the President and CEO of a large electrical contractor and also my former assistant who has since changed his employer and occupation. I haven't seen either of them for at least 8+ years and it was like "Old Home Week" when we did some catching up on what we have been doing the past years. This CEO is one of the last contractors that I know that is of "Old School" when jobs were started and completed with only a hand shake between the customer and contractor. (The corporate heads loved the lack of paperwork.)

We had a major flood that caused just short of a million dollars of damage to the Central Plant and the CEO had a crew start reconstruction the same day after receiving just a phone call. No PO's or contracts.

TomO: Always enjoy seeing your modeling work! I like the CN locomotive. I see a lot of the locos on the CN mainline just several miles west of my house.

I'm still having some trouble walking with a cane so I use one of those walkers with a seat. On next Tuesday at the Athletic Club, my Fitness Trainer will start me on a program to correct these troubles.

I have the urge to purchase something online for the railroad today.

That's all for now.

Greg

########################

Greg thank you. I may not be the best model builder but I try to make it good enough, but thanks again.

After my bout with Lymes Diease last summer I had no stamina, strength or the ability to walk for more then a few yards before being exhausted even with a walking stick. My PT therapist/trainer/sadist made me walk stairs holding on to the the railing if I had to. I did! 20 minutes, then 30 getting to an hour. The most grueling thing I have ever done. Harder then coming back from my stroke in 2016. She was the same therapist. Whatever your therapist says to do, please try your hardest. Now, I alternate now between stair climbing and stretching every 15 days and switching between swimming and the 2 mile treadmill every day.

TomO

Last edited:
Good morning gang!
43° this Monday morning, heading to a high of 62°! I'll take it! No trains this weekend, Granddaughter took all of Grampy's MRR time, oh well.
Tom, I've never had Lyme's disease, but my ex wife's father did. I saw what it did to him. He was bitten playing golf, and it took him 2 years before he played again. I did have a stroke 10 years ago, so I can relate to the PT therapist/trainer/sadist remark. Those girls were tough on me, but they got me and my brain reprogrammed and back on my feet.
Time to head to the shop, BBL

Good Morning All. Clear and 41°, going up to 75° later today. That's about 10° warmer than yesterday. NWS is still predicting near freezing for Wednesday around daybreak.
Short and sweet post this morning, as I have an 8:00 appointment with the dental hygienist.

Patrick - Thanks for the tip on removing the bark,

Everyone have a great day. As Karl says, BBL.

Morning all,

43° and currently clear, supposed to get to 68° today before the bottom falls out this evening. Expecting 1-2" of the white stuff on grassy surfaces about the time I start to drive to work tomorrow.

Nothing like coming in and having to fix your own computer as it didn't want to boot. Took up the first 45 minutes of my day.

Willie: You're welcome. That said, I know the big guys don't worry as much about the bark, but in a home smoker, it does make a difference in flavor.

Good morning y'all. 46° and sunny (for now). Not much on the agenda, for today, just picking up a few groceries and Rx. perhaps a stop at Lowes to look around.

Food for thought: NY Times (online) has some good articles today concerning Covid and other matters.

I have to install and wire a couple of shop lights in my work shop, so I may eliminate the current shadows that sometimes affect my modeling.

B&O #7 + #11 E-9 1455 Cumberland MD 8-23-1970.jpg

August 23, 1970, Cumberland, MD B&O trains # 7 and # 11 which will be split here. Photographer Unknown.

Morning all. Quick drive by cup of coffee this morning

still working on my Soviet gaming army, so no train time.

Tonight, I'll be smoking some italian sausages on the grill. Wife is making mac n cheese to go with.

For all you pitmasters out there, here's on of my favourite reference sites (flip over and check him out on YouTube). He's from the Netherlands with a sexy accent to keep the ladies entralled. And he has a BBQ Barn... an entire barn built just to put his grills and smokers in. He does a lot with the Kamado Joe brand, but also has smokers of various varieties.

I'll be using his smoked recipe/technique for the sausages tonight. This vid also has a beer braised version for those of you who want a more German flavour ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back