Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all,

Was on a little this morning, but wasn't going to read 12 pages on my new cell. Finally updated to a smart phone as the older 3g flip phones we had died locally as ATT had a tower go out with no estimated repair time as they are shutting down 3g service in about 10 months. Using the home wireless as I don't want to use data.

Vacation is ok so far. Drove to Kansas City area to visit mom. About 2.5 hours one way, so not bad. She's not happy being in a home, but dad didn't leave her in any better shape financially.

Spent the past 2 days reworking the daughter's bathroom. I'm tired of fixing 1/2 assed repairs from previous owners. Started with her wanting to change the medicine cabinet, and filling the wall back in around it. Then a big section of paint peeled off the original 1955 paint. So a "small" area of wall rebuild turns into peeling all the loose paint off and skimming the walls with compound. Once I get the walls smooth, the daughter will paint and then I'll install a new sink. She's added wanting some dimmer switches swapped for standard on/off ones. That'll be easy, but scope of the work changes daily.

All for now.
Lucky to have such a skilled and accommodating date,hope she appreciated it

I have the circus and their winter quarters,and occasional escapees
You have done a great job with your circus scenes. I have been accused out being an escapee, also, but from a mental facility.

Question-Why do drug stores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes and energy drinks at the front?

Good morning .....

Terry ..... Continued prayers for you and your wife.

Garry - Like the photo of the Doodlebug. Nice.

Chet .... Thanks for your comment. ... I enjoy seeing all of your photos. That nicely detailed EMD GP9 might be lost among all of your Alco units. .... Your dogs look relaxed.

I think the second photo is what is called, "A Mixed Freight"?

Sherrell .... You may call it diversity or locomotives of color. ... The KCS F-unit is a bit grubby looking.

Hughie .... I like the pallet company building and the overhead crane.

Guy ..... Nice photos of CN locomotives.

Jaz ... Your circus scene is remarkable.

Willie ..... I agree with Chet about your photos being outstanding.

Here are my Bachmann 4-8-2 Mountain Type locomotives. One is letter to be Great Northern, and the other is lettered to be Burlington. I played with photo editing so the dark colors on the trains would be more visible, and now the colors on the scenery look funny. The engines smooth running, and very reliable.

51119154848_4dd1760db0_k.jpg

Last edited:
You have done a great job with your circus scenes. I have been accused out being an escapee, also, but from a mental facility.

Question-Why do drug stores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes and energy drinks at the front?
Because they are functioning addicts who can and do pay over the top,the real sick have inevitably lost their job and are getting benefits, and there’s a thought another good film, one flew over the cookies nest I wonder if I could do it enough justice to be recogniseable, I could manage a white straight jacket, I even now a zombie I could lift,although it would be a shame,hmmmmm
9B453958-7468-4A58-B7BB-313D08861259.jpeg

before anorak
6A043810-7B51-4916-81A1-9BF2850259E4.jpeg

I am thinking where he stands on the Indians shoulders holding the fence
with anorak white socks compulsory
9F870265-C052-4FFD-A075-40995885B88B.jpeg

the fence to the right has the correct pillars so it has definite potential,how I will get a seated model on a larger standing model.....off to go look at my choices.....
no white jacket though they are all inside shots,the boat has potential,the woolly hat should be doable.....

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 55°, possible rain light again later this morning, it's headed this way. Another 0.7" in the last 24 hours brings us up to 1.5" of slow mostly drizzle in two days. All appears to have soaked in, no runoff. Better fill up the gas can for the mower! It's not supposed to get above 60° today...I'll have to keep the fire going in the wood-burning heater. I still have a days worth of dry wood in the house and I'll stash some more under the stove for tonight/tomorrow. Fortunately, it only gets wet on the outside and dries quickly.
After careful consideration, we decided not to make the weekly grocery/beer trek this week after all. Since we went out to eat twice and to go boxes are in the fridge, and since my wife is going to spend the weekend at my granddaughter's home, the fridge, pantry and freezer will have to suffice! Not a real problem as the beer stash could easily last until Memorial Day
In celebration of my wife's last day of work yesterday, we went to Red Lobster for dinner. Instead of my usual all you can eat shrimp, I tried one of their newly advertised fancy-schmancy Wagyu burgers. It was no better than my homemade 93% select ground beef burgers made from Kroger Angus beef which only cost me about a fourth of the price! In addition, they didn't seem to understand medium rare, although it wasn't quite medium. I guess that is what one gets when eating a burger at a fish place! :( Not only that, but they were out of CO2 so they didn't have draft beer. :mad: I would have left for that reason, but my wife had her appetite set on crab-cakes, fried shrimp and scallops.

Just a couple of over easy eggs and a pair of sausage patties with my toasted English Muffin this morning Flo.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's progress post; Chad, Guy, Troy, Joe, Sherrel, Karl, Hughie, Jaz, Chet, Phil, Gary, Patrick, George, Justin, Jerry, Ken.

One would think that I would have spent more time in the train shed yesterday than I did, since it was raining outside. But no! I ended up spending a lot more time than planned on my third hobby of editing and contributing to rock & roll articles in Wikipedia. I did get out there but mainly vacuumed and dusted.
While sifting through stuff to add to the A/C sales/installation company's scene, I came across these.
IMG_6034.JPG

They are unidentified white metal castings that came in two different DPM Gold Series kits from about 15 years ago. I primed them at the time but I have no clue as to what they really are! Anyone got a clue???
Here's the next block along Main Street in Vernon.
IMG_5982.JPG

The northernmost structure on this block is Harrison's Hardware, a pre-built structure from Woodland Scenics. It is a rare purchase on my part since I normally only purchase kits. My model does not have the "Just Plug" lighting in it that newer versions have.
IMG_6023.JPG

While I really like this structure, my issue with it is that the back sides are as detailed as the front side, but those details will not be seen unless I relocate it elsewhere; hence the reason that I have not truly planted it in place.
IMG_6035.JPG

The lineage of this structure is an older DPM kit known as Carr's Auto Parts. I had long ago used this kit as a candy store in a different town, although I built it without the recessed entry way. Here's a comparison.
IMG_6037.JPG

Guy - My closest buddy had a Corvair that looked exactly like that one. I remember the afternoon that we added a racing stripe to it. Didn't help make it run any faster though!
Joe - H&R Block is not an employee-friendly employer. Like many corporations, they follow the advice of the bean-counters in Kansas City, who know absolutely nothing about running a storefront business. That seems to be the reason that corporate has been losing money for years! In the small town that my wife's office is in, customers will not drive 32 miles each way to visit another Block office this summer, but will go up the block to Liberty instead. Jackson-Hewlett was run out of town a few years ago. Interestingly, my wife's office manager only gets paid $18/hour! Note also as a cost-cutting measure, they did not have a receptionist this month, so the phone went unanswered and clients were seen walking out the door.
Hughie - Rudy's BBQ, it varies from location to location. The one closest to me in Denton is excellent all of the time. There's one in North Ft Worth that is mostly good, but I ate once in New Braunfels and was really disappointed.

Everybody have a great day, and an awesome weekend. Be safe.

While sifting through stuff to add to the A/C sales/installation company's scene, I came across these.
View attachment 127031
They are unidentified white metal castings that came in two different DPM Gold Series kits from about 15 years ago. I primed them at the time but I have no clue as to what they really are! Anyone got a clue???
Willie - I'm wondering if those parts could be some sort of conveyor belt or gravel/grain hopper drives. Perhaps something along these lines, but yours look floor mounted:
Conveyor.jpg

What type of building kit do your examples come out of?

I was in error. Snow's is not in Franklin, but in Lexington, TX. https://snowsbbq.com

I had heard that there was a place in Lexington, TX. I saw an interview with Calvin Trillin of the New Yorker Magazine by Evan Smith of the Texas Tribune and Trillin mentioned it in the interview. He didn't mention the name of the place , he just said it was some little place in Lexington.

So why is that? I mean get a new dentist. I've had some costly dentist visits my self lately. I had some implants put in. $2,100 per implant.

Quoting myself. That doesn't count what goes on the implants. My father's advice to me when I was 14 was not to play the horses and don't get involved with to many loans. I didn't take his advice on the horses but I did on the loans. It's a good things because my wife and I spend 20% of our retirement income on heath care issues. We can't afford to have any outstanding loans out.
George

I had heard that there was a place in Lexington, TX. I saw an interview with Calvin Trillin of the New Yorker Magazine by Evan Smith of the Texas Tribune and Trillin mentioned it in the interview. He didn't mention the name of the place , he just said it was some little place in Lexington.
They were voted best in TX twice by Texas Monthly. I went a few years back. You need to get there early as when they sellout they close. The Saturday we went they sold out by11:30 AM.

Well, got the switches replaced and sanded the first skim coat at the daughter's house. Then put the 2nd coat on.

Had time to fold laundry and bake a pan of brownies. I won a purple ribbon for homemade brownies at the Kansas State Fair my junior year of high school. This was a box mix that I added pecans to.

Jaz: She's really grateful I do what I can at her house. I had a really helpful father-in-law that helped me out in my younger days. So some of this is the wife making me pay it back.

They were voted best in TX twice by Texas Monthly. I went a few years back. You need to get there early as when they sellout they close. The Saturday we went they sold out by11:30 AM.
I would probably go during the week like Mon -Thur. Its a 4 hour round trip. I found a place out here near Blanco that has dry sausage that I am going to try next week maybe.

caboose_thro.JPG

Working on track and switch throws today.

Just_in_time.JPG

Finished just in time

oe - H&R Block is not an employee-friendly employer. Like many corporations, they follow the advice of the bean-counters in Kansas City, who know absolutely nothing about running a storefront business. That seems to be the reason that corporate has been losing money for years! In the small town that my wife's office is in, customers will not drive 32 miles each way to visit another Block office this summer, but will go up the block to Liberty instead. Jackson-Hewlett was run out of town a few years ago. Interestingly, my wife's office manager only gets paid $18/hour! Note also as a cost-cutting measure, they did not have a receptionist this month, so the phone went unanswered and clients were seen walking out the door.

Willie: That really doesn't surprise me. I guess Block thinks they can cheapen the payroll costs, and blame it all on Covid. :rolleyes:

Good Afternoon all! Well yesterday was our 2 week after second shot day and we celebrated by going to the grocery store. Still masked, despite the Governor, and tried our best to social distance those un masked individuals, only 3.
PB&J with a glass of milk, please.
I finally got a model I order in Dec. It is an overhead crane and it came from Fuller, out of Germany I believe. I added it to the Pinkham Pallet and Keg track. I think that it completes that scene.
View attachment 127000
I have flipped down the posts several times and each time I stop to look at the pallet shop, and the locos behind, I do not know why I cannot put my finger on it but I really like this picture

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back