Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove on autobahns and motorways all over Europe for years. Not for the faint of heart or slow reflexes. For most Americans, it would be like transitioning to NASCAR or the Grand Prix. Accidents, BTW, are often massive due to the high speeds, especially in bad weather and fog, during which time the Europeans drivers did not slow down.

Incidentally, there were large stretches of autobahn falling apart all of time, especially the newer stretches made of asphalt instead of concrete, due to the extremely heavy truck traffic and the high costs of repairs.

Unlimited speed sounds great until you actually do it, and then you quickly realize that you are literally unable to make any mistakes, because at eds like that there are no minor mistakes or accidents.. Your insurance rate is very high as well.

Just to be clear -- I am only speaking of German Autobahns, which are the only ones which have some stretches as unlimited speed. Every other country I know of in Europe has limits on every limited access motorway.

I drove the autobahn almost daily to work for a year and a half when I had a job in Munich. Admittedly this was almost 30 years ago, but I've been back several times since and driven and nothing had really changed.

A whole country of 83 million learns to drive and drives this kind of motorway everyday. Nothing special about it if you have the right parameters. Most people only drive about 70-90 mph on it anyway, but the high speed driving is not that stressful if you learn and internalize the stuff I mentioned. Stay to the right, and watch the road a 1/2 mile ahead, not the bumper of the guy in front of you. And be respectful. There are idiots there too but it works on whole.

Regarding road quality -- I never saw any Autobahn that was in the same condition as the average US interstate. And if they had damage or issues, they were not unlimited speed. The attention to road quality is much higher there.

Drivers there are better schooled on how to drive and learn their responsibilities. And to have patience and fit in to the traffic flow. It is interesting to see a line of trucks and a line of cars passing and watching every car go by and then immediately move right when they have passed, and then the final Porsche in the line blow by them all (trucks are speed limited and tend to bunch up as some trucks drive slightly faster than others until they approach the trucks in front of them).

I was in a 64 car pile up on the A92 on Feb 27 1992 (or a day plus or minus -- from memory). In the Fog. No one died. I had barely just gotten on at the exit/onramp before and ended up in the middle of the pile up. There were idiots in their big Mercs and Audis racing through which made it worse, of course. Fog accidents happen in the US as well (and often people die). The difference is, I think, that people there pay more attention and look further ahead and don't stare at the road in front of them. The particular one I was in started when a car rear ended a truck/trailer combo that ahd just entered the Autobahn and a few cars piled into them. Then those that stopped behind it got piled on by those behind. This happened a few times. The 64cars were really a bunch of smaller ones spread over a KM of space.

Anyway, the problem in the US is the quality of roads and the quality of drivers education and the entitlement feeling of people on the roads who drive in whatever lane they want, and pay no heed to the other cars around them, weaving in and out, no signaling, speeding in stupid places, tailgating, etc. I'd like to see cops pay less attention to minor speed infractions and pay much more attention to tail gaters, those weaving in and out, not signaling, and the general jerks on the road.

BTW, my car insurance in Germany was not much different than my car insurance in Mass before I moved there, as a percentage of the budget

Out here the "one car length" spacing for each 10MPH does not work - you will find at least 3 or 4 additional autos in front of you.
I have backed down to posted speed in the last couple years. I have noticed a serious drop in reaction time. I do not "hog" the left lane!

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and seasonal here in this part of Wisconsin.

I finally figured out that when I got the Lyme Disease followed by the Gall surgery stone and then the problems related to the Gall stone surgery and then the Virus outbreak that I just got into terrible shape!!! Problems with walking, doing stairs and standing. Well yesterday was my first day at the Wisconsin Athletic Club.

I arrived at the Club and met my Personal Trainer, a fit young lady in her 30's. We discussed my goals and what I wanted to achieve. I liked the Nu-Tread machine from past experience and wanted to basically work with that type of exercise. She wanted me to do water exercises and I did think that it would be nice to be in the water with her. (Shame on me for thinking that about her at me being over 70+).

She directed me to a Nu-Thread machine and set me up for a workout for as long as I could do the machine. I worked with the machine with a goal to reach my first full lap and covered .25 miles. I did it and it felt good. I go back tomorrow to work on my own to cover .40 miles on the machine and next week another session with my Trainer.

Today I know I did a work out yesterday and I actually feel better than I did before my first workout. Looking foward to my next visit to the Club that even has a working Sports Bar where you can enjoy a cold beer after your work out.

Speaking of grilling and meats, it seems like beef as lost its favor in the last few years. Grilled steaks have no favor of their own and the lean Angus Beef doesn't seem to be of the high quality it once was. Even Butcher Shop meats lack taste. Am I wrong about beef?

Anyone know of a good source for Proto locomotive shells?

Right now puppy sitting again for Riley. She's losing her puppy teeth and growing in her adult set.

That's about it.

Greg

#########################

Well the guys in my club were back at it today and doing an awesome job on the charity build that they are working on. Sadly, I have committed to building a bed frame for myself out of some rough maple and am not able to help out this week. Maybe this weekend. Regardless, they have painted the wall behind the bridge, did some landscaping and are working on a corner moulding right now.

Attachments

• 361F550C-E48E-4761-A2E0-4B8334541181.jpeg
    361F550C-E48E-4761-A2E0-4B8334541181.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 296060E8-2A70-404B-8054-6D2876811518.jpeg
    296060E8-2A70-404B-8054-6D2876811518.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 98
  • A413B551-D363-47F9-BA6D-BE1D849B6DAD.jpeg
    A413B551-D363-47F9-BA6D-BE1D849B6DAD.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 98
So not much golf this year because I wanted to get some stuff done around the house.
!st put all new pavers on the patio and installed some lattice in front of the dog pen.
2nd made some ground level plant boxes.
3rd there's a lot more to get done. George

house_01.jpg
house_02.jpg

Around here, I’ve learned to drive to and from work in the left lane in self defense. Drivers getting on the highway simply drive into the right lane at whatever speed they are driving without bothering to look, and think everybody else is required to “let them in”.

Terry - I am very sad for you're situation. It surprises me, as well, that the wife dosen't want to remain at home. Especially with all the recent discoveries concerning long term care in nursing homes. - I offer prayers to you and the wife; and, believe me, I don't pray all that much.

When my dad passed, his final request to me in the hospital was, "Guy, take me home."
Mother would not allow me to do so. - The pain I feel for not fulfilling my fathers last request has endured for the past 30 years since.

God's speed, Terry.
I know it’s Terry‘s wife, but I am responding here, because I am wondering if she knows how much Terry does, and whether she is concerned it will make him ill, he say she was a nurse, I suspect her love for him is so strong that she wants what is best for him,and is concerned how much effort he had to put in, If that is the case, greatest love of all. not selfish, wanting the best for the one you love.

That is my second "run-in" with propane.

Yo Sherrel: Glad you're not hurt, and there was no harm to house or anyone else. That's why I grill with charcoal. Don't like propane.

FWIW, dry chemical works well, just spray it at the base of the fire. It will still leak, and is still subject to reigniting until you shut it off, but...
it seems like beef as lost its favor in the last few years.

Greg: Funny, the wife was saying the same thing about not only meat, but some other items not having the same flavor. perhaps the growing popularity of "hot" spices and "hot" sauce, cover over for lack of natural flavor?

Greg: Funny, the wife was saying the same thing about not only meat, but some other items not having the same flavor. perhaps the growing popularity of "hot" spices and "hot" sauce, cover over for lack of natural flavor?

I've had good beef recently. No spices or sauce or anything needed. Just a small amount of salt and pepper before cooking. Sous vide for 90 min at 131F and then hot 1 min sear on each side. Mmmmm. NY Strip, Rib eye, etc all work well. Even low fat Sirloin.

ETA: I almost always buy my beef from Costco.

I got my license at 14 in Texas before they changed the law in '67 or so.
Got my license at 18, but was driving g on grandpa & uncles farms at 14-15.
Around here, I’ve learned to drive to and from work in the left lane in self defense. Drivers getting on the highway simply drive into the right lane at whatever speed they are driving without bothering to look, and think everybody else is required to “let them in”.

that’s why, when I took long road trips, I would stay in the center lane(on 3+ lane highways), so that I didn’t have to switch lanes back n forth.

Got my license at 18, but was driving g on grandpa & uncles farms at 14-15.

that’s why, when I took long road trips, I would stay in the center lane(on 3+ lane highways), so that I didn’t have to switch lanes back n forth.

Unless it is a multi lane highway at rush hour -- so lots of continual merging of traffic into the flow -- this actually is part of the problem. You should drive in the right most lane you can. During rush hour with lots of merging in, that probably means the second lane over. But in normal highway traffic that means the right lane unless it is full of slower cars you keep passing. The problem is people in the middle lane, when they could be in the right lane, obstruct those behind them.

There is nothing wrong with switching lanes back and forth. If you are in the right lane, and you need to overtake someone, pass them and get back in the right lane. NOW, if it is rush hour with packed highways, none of this applies. (Even in Germany they don't keep the discipline of right lane driving under those conditions, like they normally do in normal non-packed conditions).

When it comes to right lane -- if I am in the right lane and it is not particularly convenient to move over -- I don't. I make the person figure out how to merge in safely by keeping my ground. When people see you are not moving they figure it out. :)

For the record, while I got my permit at 16 (the age in Mass for a permit), I didn't get my license at 16.5 (the age in Mass if you had driver's ed). I got my license at 18.5 when I started a full time good paying summer job in NH I needed to drive to. My parents told me I had to pay my own insurance and I didn't want a job in HS just to earn the money for insurance so I could drive to the job. And my friend's parents always picked us up from Band practice or whatever after school activity we were involved in, and I had a bike to get to my friends' homes if they lived more than walking distance away (which most did).

ETA: living and driving in Germany taught me a lot about driving discipline. And taught me how to safely drive at high speeds (on good roads with proper traffic conditions)

Unless it is a multi lane highway at rush hour -- so lots of continual merging of traffic into the flow -- this actually is part of the problem. You should drive in the right most lane you can. During rush hour with lots of merging in, that probably means the second lane over. But in normal highway traffic that means the right lane unless it is full of slower cars you keep passing. The problem is people in the middle lane, when they could be in the right lane, obstruct those behind them.

There is nothing wrong with switching lanes back and forth. If you are in the right lane, and you need to overtake someone, pass them and get back in the right lane. NOW, if it is rush hour with packed highways, none of this applies. (Even in Germany they don't keep the discipline of right lane driving under those conditions, like they normally do in normal non-packed conditions).

When it comes to right lane -- if I am in the right lane and it is not particularly convenient to move over -- I don't. I make the person figure out how to merge in safely by keeping my ground. When people see you are not moving they figure it out. :)

For the record, while I got my permit at 16 (the age in Mass for a permit), I didn't get my license at 16.5 (the age in Mass if you had driver's ed). I got my license at 18.5 when I started a full time good paying summer job in NH I needed to drive to. My parents told me I had to pay my own insurance and I didn't want a job in HS just to earn the money for insurance so I could drive to the job. And my friend's parents always picked us up from Band practice or whatever after school activity we were involved in, and I had a bike to get arms to my friends' homes if they lived more than walking distance away (which most did).

ETA: living and driving in Germany taught me a lot about driving discipline. And taught me how to safely drive at high speeds (on good roads with proper traffic conditions)
Traffic volume(I lived in South Jersey for 42 years) is the primary reason why I did my long road trips(500-1000+ miles) during the overnight hours. Leave after evening “rush hour” & get to my destination before morning commuter rush.

Speaking of grilling and meats, it seems like beef as lost its favor in the last few years. Grilled steaks have no favor of their own and the lean Angus Beef doesn't seem to be of the high quality it once was. Even Butcher Shop meats lack taste. Am I wrong about beef?
Most of the stores are cutting most of the fat off these days , most of the flavor is in the fat when it caramelizes . I haven't been able to get a decent steak here in months , there is some variance between the grocery stores , really I think the best is find a butcher who will cut to order.

The local HEB here trims off all the fat , and it ends taste marginally better than a well worn shoe.

If I were going to grill a steak , I would be tempted to try cooking it in ground beef to try to get some flavor in it.

After three accidents in my first year here from holding my lane, I finally decided to do what everybody else here does, said "F everybody else", and simply drive in the left lane. Having a very large pickup truck with a trailer hitch sticking out the back tends to minimize tailgaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back