Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUY - I am going to have to save a copy of that photo - That lady could sell ice to Eskimos.
You did some serious modeling on the hardware store's contents!

Those high 80's temperatures brought out the halters and shorts with the shoppers here last week -
means that summer is just around the bend!

TomO - Best wishes on your quest to return to Maui!

HubCityMike - Good to see you back!

We've been gone in Orlando. Got back yesterday afternoon (left morning of April 2). To Orlando we went through Phoenix. On the way back, through DFW. I have to say, it was my most pleasant experience in DFW. Usually there are local ewrather issues and the planes circle for ever and if they don't divert, you then wait for hours and a dozen (or 2 dozen) gate changes for your connecting flight to leave DFW hours late. (I know that probably is not the normal case, but my few DFW layovers in the past were like that).

We went in-shore fishing (in the Indian River North (salt water intra coastal channel)) near New Smyrna Beach / Edgewater on a hired charter. "Bad JuJu" charters was a really nice guy and a good experience. We spent most of the trip fishing for Red Drum. My daughter reeled in 51" one -- largest that boat captain had had on his boat, and my son a 48" and my wife reeled in a 46". I got stuck with a (small compared to the Red Drum) saltwater catfish that was robbing the lines. The Red Drum seemed to have stopped biting by that time so we went and did some off-pier fishing in a depression where "Bluefish" and Jack Crevalle were plentiful. We got a few bluefish and a Jack Crevalle before time was up. Everything we did we released back as there was nothing worth keeping. The Red Drum of that size are supposedly not great eating per what I saw.

The first day we spent resting and going shopping (our resort "condo" -- Reunion resort) had a full kitchen so we mostly ate there. That evening we visited a friend of mine from grade school and high school (and later jobs -- we worked at the same companies a few times). He and his wife are empty nesters and they bought and are renovating an older condo in Celebration. It was good to catch up. Sunday we rested around the resort and Monday was fishing day (up really early to be at New Smyrna beach before 8am). The rest of the trip was to the House of Mouse. It was fun and I have to say that the "Avatar Flight of Passage" at the Pandora "land" at the Disney Animal Kingdom is the bee's knees for a ride attraction. It was super fun and something I could ride a bunch. We spent one full day at that park and hit that ride twice -- once first thing before the wait got stupid long and once at the end of the day when the wait had gone down to quite reasonable. The house of mouse had really stupid mask policies and of course is more expensive than ever, but at least the lowered capacity they are doing right now made all the ride wait times less than normal "business as usual" which was welcome. Even if the ride lines LOOK long due to social distancing in the line, they went fast.

Anyway, I doubt I'll get all the past 11 days reviewed but I will try and get major posts with pics "liked" if I can. I always like the pics of real or model trains and layouts.

The pot-belied pig was grumpy this morning. He doesn't like windy days. Guess I'll get even and have ham with my eggs this morning!

Can't plant yet here. Still the risk of sudden freezes at night for another couple of weeks or so. Besides, the deer eat all the new stuff until I get the deer fencing back up. Beautiful, friendly animals but a real pain when it comes to outdoor projects. At least the coyotes seem to have cleared out most of the jack rabbits this year. Last year they were everywhere. The elk and turkeys have headed upstream from us following the water but they will be back just as soon as the big snowmelt starts and the local creek swells up again, along with the worst invader of all - out-of-state tourists!

The rafters will cover the Arkansas River, which runs right through Canon City. They're good for the local economy, but they cause a lot of problems, a few of them manage to drown every year, get bit by rattlesnakes or squirrels (don't laugh - pneumonic plague is endemic in the Colorado squirrel population, just as our barn mice carry Hanta virus) get lost in the mountains, fall off the trails or freeze because nobody told them how fast the weather can change at 14,000 feet, and it's soooo hard to keep a straight face when some sunburned and insect-bitten specimen stops me and asks "excuse me sir...is that a cow in that field?" 🙄 Happens every single year. I think they should put a picture of the source of the meat on every package that is sold so city folk understand where it comes from!

Sadly,one of our newest and best attractions died a month ago - an albino buck named Tilde. Hit by some guy in a truck right in residential Canon City. Deer in the yards, fields and crossing the streets are a common hazard year around, but the locals know about them.

But I really do like spring and fall in the Rockies, and the honey-do list needs some work, as do my own projects, so I'll wear dark glasses and pretend not to see them! Like the flowers, they'll be gone again by winter! :cool:

Hope everyone's week goes well.

Computer problems resulted in a new SSD hard drive and 8G RAM chip.
I was able to get my data off the old hard drive, but my password to this forum was lost. It took a while to find the "safe place" I hid the password.
By the time I got back to reading the forum, I was way behind. It is amazing how many great modeling and prototype pictures are shared here.

My grandson shared a comment that may be prophetic.
"In twenty year when kids ask us about the toilet paper shortage. I'm going to tell them that we had to drag our butts across the lawn, in the snow, uphill both ways, dodging Murder Hornets."

I have to say, the weather was much nicer in Orlando most of the time than in the Salt Lake area right now. When we got to Orlando it had actually been warmer at home as they had a "cold front" come through (I should call it "cool front" as it was not all that cold :) ). Anyway, after the first 2 days, it was mid 70s to mid 80s during the day and upper 50s to upper 60s at night. When we stepped off the plane at 3pm yesterday back home, it was 49F and in the middle of the night I looked at my watch and it was 36F. When I got up this morning it was 27F. It has made it up to 46F at 1pm now... The older I get, the more I understand why people retire to Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc.

Also random comment: People in Utah bitch and moan about "Utah drivers" and how bad they are. These people have never been to Florida. That is all I can say.

Checking in quickly.. I did survive 20 games on Saturday and managed to get back home to watch the rained out race that was rescheduled for Sunday at Martinsville. Still pooped out and I think my right arm is longer than the left.

Nice photos posted, enjoyed them all. Going to retreat to the recliner.

Later

Good Afternoon all! Well the sun was here but now it's gone. The rainy forecast for the next several days made get out and mow the ditch along side the yard and while I was at it edge around the culverts where the County mowers miss.
I thinking a cheeseburger and vanilla malted would be good about now.
I did manage to do a little more work on the river walk. I have some children figures somewhere and I'll add them. Some grass on the wall, maybe.
Riverwalk- 2.jpg

And just for fun
8043 Crossing Deerfield.jpg

STAY SAFE

LATER

TomO & Sherrel- thanks for the wb. Been back to work for a few weeks now, but some days are
better than others. Really haven’t had the motivation to get into the train room in a few months. I’ve lurked a few times in the past couple weeks but last night was the first time I felt like contributing to the chat. I guess reading about someone getting on Terry for sharing about his bride got my dander up enough to speak my piece.

Good afternoon:

Gary, thanks for the F power post, I've hardly done any weathering, How difficult did you find it to get the look you wanted on those F's?

Jerry ..... Most of my locomotives are not yet weathered, The ones that are weathered are done with weathering powders. I study pictures of real locomotives such as F-units, and then I try to copy what I see. Powders can be washed off if I screw up. When I like what I did with the powders I spray on Dull Coat or an equivalent product.

Everybody .... I'm very brief with this post because of other stuff I'm doing.

Cheers.
Edit .... Note to Jerry and others . I spell “Garry” with two R’s. Remember two R’s for Really Rotten . That way you don’t confuse me wth Gary of Nova Scotia (Big G Racing) who is Remarkable . :D

Last edited:
Looks like thunderstorms this week . Couple headed in this general direction so time to unplug . Nothing done today,
No boomers here today, but we’ve had rain every day for the past week. Needless to say, it flipped us from “high danger” to “low danger” on the DNR wildfire scale. No precipitation in the 7 day forecast, but they’re talking aboot the possibility of the S word for the early part of next week.

Interesting thing happened to me this evening. I was going to BBQ a nice steak for the Spousal Unit and myself - couldn't get the grill to light - i did not think it was outta gas, but it was.
Went to the garage where I had another bottle, brought it out and thought I had screwed the regulator hose in tight - wrong! It seems that I had cross threaded the connection. When I attempted to light
lit the burner, I was immediately standing in a fire bath which only lasted a couple of seconds, but there was a large flame spewing from the bottle valve extending 8-10 inches in all directions. Fortunately the wife had been standing at the kitchen sink not more than 15 feet away and she threw me a dishtowel to smother the flame which immediately caught fire too. I yelled to throw me another and wet the F'in thing first - I was really getting scared that the tank was going to explode and I started pushing the grill away from the house. I had not moved it more than 6 feet when she came charging out the open door with two soaking, dripping dish towels -- it took both of them to smother the fire. Now I had to wait until the valve had cooled off enough in order to close it. I have to admire my spouse ... she never raised her voice and without hesitation seemed to be thinking right along with me. Her only remark was: Guess we will have to cook the steak on the stove tonight!

That is my second "run-in" with propane. The first was a dry rotted hose on an oven/stove in Saudi Arabia 40 years back ... which blew up when I went to light it and blew me out a sliding glass door. Thankful that it was tempered glass!

Believe me - enough excitement for one night!
Cheers!

Interesting thing happened to me this evening. I was going to BBQ a nice steak for the Spousal Unit and myself - couldn't get the grill to light - i did not think it was outta gas, but it was.
Went to the garage where I had another bottle, brought it out and thought I had screwed the regulator hose in tight - wrong! It seems that I had cross threaded the connection. When I attempted to light
lit the burner, I was immediately standing in a fire bath which only lasted a couple of seconds, but there was a large flame spewing from the bottle valve extending 8-10 inches in all directions. Fortunately the wife had been standing at the kitchen sink not more than 15 feet away and she threw me a dishtowel to smother the flame which immediately caught fire too. I yelled to throw me another and wet the F'in thing first - I was really getting scared that the tank was going to explode and I started pushing the grill away from the house. I had not moved it more than 6 feet when she came charging out the open door with two soaking, dripping dish towels -- it took both of them to smother the fire. Now I had to wait until the valve had cooled off enough in order to close it. I have to admire my spouse ... she never raised her voice and without hesitation seemed to be thinking right along with me. Her only remark was: Guess we will have to cook the steak on the stove tonight!

That is my second "run-in" with propane. The first was a dry rotted hose on an oven/stove in Saudi Arabia 40 years back ... which blew up when I went to light it and blew me out a sliding glass door. Thankful that it was tempered glass!

Believe me - enough excitement for one night!
Cheers!
You never thought to slap some wings on it an' pilot it out'a there?

Good morning gang!

Sherril OMG, you could have been blown to smithereens! Glad you got it under control.

In other death defying acts, I got my 2nd Moderna shot yesterday. Pay no attention to the appendage growing out of the top of my head. It's just a cowlick. 😉 Seriously, I didn't and still don't feel a thing.

Flo, goy any of those blueberry pancakes left? They were sooo goood yesterday!

BBL

that engine is an ET44C4.
Ha Ha Ha ...I am a dork! When I first posted that pic I magnified it to look at the designation so I would get it right. WHOOPSIE! o_Oo_O
Thanks Terry....
Willie...thank you for the info.....
Hughie...Nice shot of the 8043 heading across the bridge....
The ones that are weathered are done with weathering powders.
Thank you.....
I spell “Garry” with two R’s.
And Thank You....... (see, I told ya I was dork!... o_O )
I was immediately standing in a fire bath
Holy tomato Sherrel...glad your ok!

EVRYBODY HAVE A SAFE DAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back