Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Cloudy and it only cooled off to 70° overnight after reaching a high yesterday of 80°. Still dealing with 25mph winds out of the south which will turn northerly and diminish somewhat around late afternoon. Tonight's low is supposed to be 46°, a vast change from right now. However tomorrow's high will reach 82° since the north winds won't last for more than 10 hours or so. At least that's what the NWS predicts. At least the wind will die down a bit.
I spent a good part of the day yesterday, trimming trees that aren't even on my property. I live on a corner piece of property, and while the road along the east side is a county road with notoriously poor maintenance, the road on the south side is not, thus the property owners have to maintain it. I am the majority owner as I own ~800 ft on my side. The other much longer side borders a wheat/sorghum field that a local farmer leases from an elderly lady in parts unknown to me. So nobody maintains that side. Well the branches from the trees in the fence row are now overlapping the road a bit and scrape the sides of vehicles if two are passing at the same time. Not so much a problem since there isn't a lot of traffic, but they also prevent mowing that side. I do it occasionally, as does another neighbor. The other reason for me trimming these trees, besides the free kindling, is that the UPS and Amazon trucks swerve over to avoid them and leave ruts in part of my yard.

A big pile of blueberry pancakes and four sausage links for me this morning Francine. I see Flo back there in the kitchen helping Mel.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on yesterday's update post; Garry, Karl, Guy, Tom O, Sherrel, Phil, Hughie, Troy, Patrick, Jaz, Gary. Ken, Rick.

I had a disappointing day out in the train shed yesterday. While testing a variety of locos through the newly installed grade crossing, I found many were derailing, especially the CF7's. All were four axle models. They didn't have a problem when the initial crossing was installed and I couldn't figure out why??? It took some time and I finally realized that it was the roadway section that I installed between the two tracks, out of view on the other side of the locos, that was the issue. It was slightly higher than the wooden approaches against the actual rail, and it was snagging the stabilizer hangers on the four axle trucks. Additionally, it was snagging the overhanging very low pilot plate on the CF7's. So I spent a bit of time removing and modifying it. A successful endeavor. Better than filing down all of the loco parts. Needless to say, not much else got done.
Next on deck, is the quarterly layout cleaning project. I'll work on that while I do other projects. For those who are new here, I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning the 640 sq. ft., two level layout at one time. Fortunately it doesn't need much to begin with. So I have divided it into eight roughly equal section, and at the beginning of each calendar quarter I do a section. Mainly I first inspect the track and right of way for any loose parts that may have dropped off any rolling stock. I clean track where needed and vacuum every bit of it. I also remove each structure (all mine are removable), and take it over to the workbench where I dust/vacuum the dust and cobwebs off. I also sometimes add additional details or weather some of them. And I also dust off the vehicles and other details. This takes several days although I don't spend all of my time doing it; I need time to run trains and work on other projects at the same time. This has always been done on a two-year schedule.
At the beginning of 2020, I decided to document the process, as a way of displaying the many parts of the layout. We have now been through the entire lower level, and the first part of the upper level. So I am ready to start round six this quarter for you.
To begin with, here's a few shots of the beginning of this section. Most of this section is still bare except for the block along the front that was a project last year. We start at the northwest corner and move south towards the town of Vernon. Vernon is named after my late father-in-law. In the corner itself will be a gravel loading operation tentatively called Glacier Gravel, since that's the name of the Walther's kit that I am using as a base.
IMG_5930.JPG

To the left is American Plastics Co. They extrude plastic stuff and do injection molding. They are rail-served with an indoor loading dock in back of the structure.
IMG_5931.JPG

Next are a couple of recently built small businesses, C&T Refrigeration, which is a DPM structure; and the Woodland Scenics kit, D's Diiner.
IMG_5932.JPG

Behind them is another rail-served unnamed industry made with DPM modular walls. There's another business next to D's Diner that I didn't take a picture of!
Then there is a modern grain elevator on the other side of the tracks.

IMG_5933.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

I don't remember the name, but it's a Walther's kit. More on that when I remove it.
Then in the corner is a propane distributor. It's made from two Walther's kits.
IMG_5935.JPG

That's part of the west wall of the train shed. This quarter's section headed south on the RR will continue through the town of Vernon itself. As you can see I have a plateful of projects left to do along here.

Guy - I recognize that goose from flying overhead last month, third from the left on the bottom part of the "V"!
023.jpg

Although I don't model them, I find switch mechanisms rather interesting. Ground throws work for me.
Tom O - Our spring rains haven't amounted to anything yet this year. Interestingly, many trees that are normally flush with new leaves are just barely budding out. And it's been six weeks since the "Big Freeze" here.
Sherrel - Sorry to read about the negative experiences with your grandsons. I grew up with "Spare the rod, spoil the child" and carried it forth with my family, gently. I look at peers who weren't disciplined as kids and their offspring, and many are constantly in trouble. My wife has a nephew who has spent at least 30 of his 50 years bouncing in and out of the slammer. Nothing violent, but he consistently fails to follow probation and parole rules, and stole (embezzled) from his late uncle. He started when he vandalized his high school a month after graduating. We think that maybe he just likes confinement and eating crappy food.
To quote Karl:
No, It has more to do with respect. If he will steal from a family member, he will from anyone. The longer this is tolerated the harsher the life lesson will be he gets older.

GeeTee -
proper parenting can land you in jail these days.
Unfortunately that's true in some cases. While my kids were still in school, it was no secret that all of the teachers and bus drivers had a paddle available to use if needed. All of the parents in the school district approved, but it's use was rare since most of the kids were well behaved, especially since they all came from homes that were OK with the paddle to begin with. From what I understand, it was phased out around 2009, due to political pressure from the Department of Education, the rich uncle!
Troy - Gotta make that investment pay off. If I wasn't so far away, I would be coming over (meat in hand) to check out the grill's performance.

Today is National Beer Day. It sort of commemorates the beginning of the end of Prohibition. Nonetheless, I celebrate it nearly every day. Wait until you're off work to start, be responsible...do it at home!
Everyone have a great "hump" day. Be safe.

Howdy.

The roof noise started again this morning with a crew of 7 Mexicans . Yesterday , they needed about a dozen 4x8 sheets of plywood to repair water damaged plywood. I did not know the old roof was so bad. Today we get the new shingles . Also we are getting new gutters.

Meanwhile yesterday , I replaced some tiles in the drop ceiling of the model railroad layout room.

Everybody. ... Have a good day.

Morning from the far West where it is 50 degrees going to 80 later on with mostly sunny skies ... whew!
Well, I have somewhat recovered and my blood pressure must be considerable lower.
I am not going to spend much time on the "parenting" issue - just to say that I was not raised that way and I raised three kids with the first wife, and three girls who were 5-7-9 with the current main squeeze. There was no kicking, yelling, poking disturbance in an eating establishment (these kids are an embarrassment) - and I didn't have much to do or say - it was all the wife's parenting, and her daughters kids - mostly all the same age as the two G-sons, are as well behaved as you could ask for.
Enough said - there will be changes made on this RV trip, or we will turn around and come back - the Spousal Unit agrees -- fact is she said it!

Gald to hear that the DMV went well, TERRY!
It's too bad that you didn't have the DD-214.

I thought that Goose looked familiar, WILLIE!

Happy that you are doing better, GARRY!

Not true. My kids knew from an early age that no meant no, and "if you do this, then that will happen" was how it would be. None of the tantrums, whining or conniving will change my position, so you may as well give in to the parental units

You swat them on the behind and someone sees you and reports you , your libel to find yourself in front of CPS or in a court room answering child abuse charges.

No, It has more to do with respect. If he will steal from a family member, he will from anyone. The longer this is tolerated the harsher the life lesson will be he gets older.

You never took or played with your siblings toys with out telling them when you were growing up ??? Have you become a lifelong criminal as a result ?

A lot of families view things as communal property . If a family member owns it then its ok to go get it use it even when they're not there . I spent my share of time running round trying to find a sledge or chainsaw ,3 wheeler only to discover someone else had "borrowed it" , and no they didn't go around stealing from other people.

At 10am, it's still morning here; so Good Morning!
Like the rabbit in 'Alice's Wonderland', I'm running late! In my defense, I had to run down to the post office and send off some documents.
While I was downtown anyway, I took some photos under poor light conditions. Here are a few:
04-07-2021 (14).jpg

04-07-2021 (15).jpg

04-07-2021 (10).jpg

04-07-2021 (9).jpg

04-07-2021 (8).jpg

BCOL is a C40-8M, and the blue CN is aC40-8W.

Willie - I believe you are mistaken in identifying the goose in flight. It is the lead in the pair holding hands on the far right of you're photo. It's my fault for not posting a photo of the goose's girlfriend. She was camera shy, though.

Just a fly-by today; things need to get done! Have a good one!

Good Afternoon Everyone......mostly sunny and mild with rain forecasted in the afternoon.

Interesting facts about trespassing in the country. I guess enforcement varies by state and what the offense maybe. My problems in my part of Wisconsin have been minor but never the less still a problem. Ditch dumping can be a problem ever since there is charge to dispose of the older televisions. I found four or five of them in the ditch of my our property near Coloma and a call to the Town Chairman did the trick to have them picked up. The Chairman himself came to get rid of them. The other problem there was a dead pine along the tree line that borders the road. One day it was gone and I figured the neighborhood Amish came and cut down the entire tree. More Amish than locals use the road along our property. That saved me some work, but it still was an illegal act taking the dead tree, as minor as it may sound.

We gave my wife's cousin's husband permission to deer hunt his property and he found a tree stand well within the woods. He called us to be positive we didn't give them permission and then he disassembled the stand and placed it by the road. By morning it was gone. These woods are dense in spots and so dense I could walk 15 feet away and you would be unable to see me through the brush. The White Pine seedlings grow so fast.

At Mt. Morris, our lot was hit 10 years ago by wind shears and many of the 250 year old pines were damaged. A logged cleared up the lot, but left many fallen dead falls. A large oak at the road was cut up by a friend of ours for fire wood and then neighbors tossed their debris into our woods. Someone came without permission and cut up the dead falls for firewood. They did me a favor, but....

I think that since conceal/carry law is so common, many people avoid trespassing and a confrontation with a landowner. The local law Officers do enforce the trespassing laws in our area, if the trespassing is in progress. Also, I'm been talking to all my, the few that there are, neighbors when I can so they know who I am and know I do check on our property.

McLeod: I sure like that weathered 1:1 #2466 CN locomotive. Time for the wash rack!

Long day yesterday puppy Sitting for Riley. We watched TV until noon and then lunch and then more TV. We played a lot and she kept looking for Cathy.

That's about all for now............

Greg

Last edited:
Hiya Shop Dwellers! Since my town is a few hundred miles north of where Terry is, we're ~10 degrees cooler at 65*F under mostly clear skies with a slight breeze of 5mph ESE.

As always, thanks to everyone who "liked" my most recent drive-by post. I want to finish this before 10pm, so no time to list out names.

With Spring yardwork encroaching along with some other recent [though temporary] commitments, I've had to put my mrr activities on the back burner for the next few weeks. So these micro-posts are about all I'll be able to offer during that time. My 25yr-old daughter sent me an interseting link about some fun the guys at Minatur Wunderland were having, and I found it cool enough that I started a separate thread about it; I didn't want to confine it only to the Coffee Shop.

BTW Jaz - hopefully you already know, but just in case you didn't: I was implying that your layout photos are doing an excellent job of filling the void left by Chet's diminished online presence!

Well, the RV trip the wife and I had planned for this weekend is off. I went out to the MIL's place this afternoon to bring it to the house and it would not start. Brother in law kept saying it was out of fuel - so, to appease him I filled 2 - 5 gal cans and dumped them into the tank.

Did not help - It makes a very short varoom and then dies just as fast. I fear that some mice have chewed on a wire or two - perhaps the wire to the fuel pump? Bad thing is that it is parked in a place that is next to impossible for a tow truck to get to it because it is facing the wrong direction. I'm going to go back out in the morning and see what I can find. stay tuned.

GUY - Those sure some brutes of locomotives to come to where you are. They must shake the whole town when they move arounf?

Monn Yanna Compardreys!

Morning all. Seven days since my last Team P vaccine. Feeling good again.

Hughie, glad to see you've been admitted to the professional club. Some of us are still in the Mega-Roll club.

Wife told me I have to cook something OTHER than beef on the new Kamado Joe. So, last night I fired up half a basket of lump, threw in some pecan chunks....

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 6.42.44 AM.png

Due to impending rain (dang pop-up thunder showers in the midwest... ahhhhh spring....) I didn't get a shot of meat on the grill, but an hour later, I had five nice (mild) Italian Sausages well smoked, and a small dish of peppers and onions sautéed - though I did have to pull them in right as the rain hit, and finish the veggies on the stove.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 6.42.32 AM.png

Wife says we're going out for dine-in pizza tonight. Got a wood-fired place up the way that we haven't been to since before the winter surge hit. Time to go back and tip our servers, and eat some awesome pizza (carne style of course). They still do the 50% capacity, and we're both double vac'd (but only a week out - so we'll be careful).

Morning all,

Went home after lunch yesterday with another headache. Not really a migraine, but just a weird one. Now I'm another day before I can get a new garage door opener on the house. Not sure what's going on there.

Edit: Computer just blue screened, so this posted before I was finished.

Troy: Sausage looks good. You burn natural lump or some other type of charcoal? My preference is natural lump as I think it's more consistent, burns a little hotter and no added chemicals.

Hiya Shop Dwellers! Since my town is a few hundred miles north of where Terry is, we're ~10 degrees cooler at 65*F under mostly clear skies with a slight breeze of 5mph ESE.

As always, thanks to everyone who "liked" my most recent drive-by post. I want to finish this before 10pm, so no time to list out names.

With Spring yardwork encroaching along with some other recent [though temporary] commitments, I've had to put my mrr activities on the back burner for the next few weeks. So these micro-posts are about all I'll be able to offer during that time. My 25yr-old daughter sent me an interseting link about some fun the guys at Minatur Wunderland were having, and I found it cool enough that I started a separate thread about it; I didn't want to confine it only to the Coffee Shop.

BTW Jaz - hopefully you already know, but just in case you didn't: I was implying that your layout photos are doing an excellent job of filling the void left by Chet's diminished online presence!
No no I totally understood, but I thought I would be the over the pond contributor to something different, not the main one, definitely all good, I love this coffee shop people are a proper community

Troy: Sausage looks good. You burn natural lump or some other type of charcoal? My preference is natural lump as I think it's more consistent, burns a little hotter and no added chemicals.

Using the Kamado Joe Big Block lump for now. One of the youtube grillers I follow did a side by side of three of the lump charcoals, and I liked what he reported on the K-Joe. And, of course, I cannot find the other two brands he tested.

I'll keep using the K-joe Big Block until I get used to the grill. After that, I may venture out to try more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back