Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm watching the horses the other night from London Canada just across the boarder form Detroit and in the background I see a freight go by the race track with about 50 oil tankers in the consist. Is this the new oil pipe line into the US?
George

George: I'm a real rail fan and I watch a lot of trains in downtown Wauwatosa, Wisconsin on the CP main line. I've seen trains that are entirely oil tankers in a consist run through the town. Most of these cars seem to be relatively new. The local people are insisting on low speeds for the oil trains and hopefully re-direct them to another route.

My train viewing spot is just a few feet from the tracks. When I worked I used to bring my lunch here and rail fan.

This area makes a lot of the stories on the 5:00 PM news for the number or people and vehicle accidents due to the tracks running parallel, close to the road and then there's where the road has side street meeting the main road and run over the the tracks.

Greg

1617379960087.png

One of the dangerous rail crossing points on the CP traks in downtown Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.

Good Morning all! New place looks great, like what you've done with place. Kinda looks like the old one did early on, you know rustic virtual.
Sun is out here in H-Town with a slight chill caused by the wind. I believe I'll have pancakes with a side of bacon, coffee
Well the second shot was uneventful. A little sore to the touch at the injection site, but that's it.
Ran some trains yesterday. Well I tried to run some trains. Do you ever have one of those days where everything turns to s---. i knocked cars off the track, forgot to switch turnouts and derailed. Even had my first ever head on crash because I forgot to change the double crossover. Turned it off went and got a Scotch.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny but cold here in this part o Wisconsin.

That bout with Lyme's Disease and the Gall Stone surgery and the complications I experienced following surgery in 2019 really brought me down activity wise. I'm still not up to my normal self and then in early February I fell backwards off a walker with a chair. My wife convinced me to purchase one of these chairs, especially for TrainFest which I've missed several years in a row due to health issues. My back has hurt since the fall and I'm lucky I didn't break anything.

Then comes the Corvid and my doctors said to avoid people and crowds because a case of the Corvid would be fatal to me. During the Corvid shut- in, I haven't walked too much and the old story, "If you don't use it, you lose it" is so true of muscle and body co-coordination. I'm starting to walk more and do more activities to regain my muscle strength and ability to walk better. Going to the cabin will help in all areas with the excercise I get doing cabin maintenance and other tasks.

I have a Digitrax PR-4 attached to a test track, used for working with decoders, sitting next to my computer desk and its a hassle to bring locomotive up from the basement to do decoder programming. I'm looking for a inexpensive lap top to install the PR-4 program and keep the laptop down my my layout and work bench.

Most of the lap tops I've seen run on Chrome and any programs that you want added need to purchased on line at the Chrome store so this eliminated them from the choices for a lap top since the PR-4 program runs on Windows and I can't install it on the lap top. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but seen this comment on adding programs to lap tops on many reviews.

I enjoy this Forum and the work the members show in the photos posted.

My layout expansion never happened this winter which maybe a good thing so I can do more planning. The basement in this area need some reorganization and cleaning.

So much for my news.

Greg

#######################

Good afternoon Shop Dwellers! It's sunny with a 16mph NW wind at 42*F (feels like 34*) here in central MD.

I'll start with a brief acknowledgement to those of you who commented or "clicked" on my Tuesday evening post with the F7 photos: Jaz, Tom(Cambria), Phil, Rick, Joe, TomO, Hughie, Willie, Patrick, Jerry, Karl, Gary, Chad, Sherrell, Garry, Guy, Justin. Much appreciated, wish I had time to reply individually to each of you who commented but there's just too much stuff I need to do!

This will have to be a brief message since I didn't get off work until noon, spent an hour getting caught up on all the new (since Tuesday) posts in the March thread and here, and will be joining MOH for the Good Friday service at 3:00pm.

Didn't sign on here Wednesday because I was feeling sick [NOT Covid!] and just wanted to lie down and do nothing. And yesterday, after work, I just had time for a quick dinner before it was time to leave for the Holy Thursday "foot-washing" Mass, then visited with some friends there until ~9:30pm. Tomorrow, the early part of the day will be spent continuing my testing/learning activities on the new generator, then supper, followed by the Easter Vigil Mass in the evening. Sunday will focus on helping with preparations for the family Easter meal, with all our children and the grandson visiting. So I don't foresee much time for in-depth mrr activities this holiday weekend.

If I don't get back on here soon, y'all have a great weekend!

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny but cold here in this part o Wisconsin.

That bout with Lyme's Disease and the Gall Stone surgery and the complications I experienced following surgery in 2019 really brought me down activity wise. I'm still not up to my normal self and then in early February I fell backwards off a walker with a chair. My wife convinced me to purchase one of these chairs, especially for TrainFest which I've missed several years in a row due to health issues. My back has hurt since the fall and I'm lucky I didn't break anything.

Then comes the Corvid and my doctors said to avoid people and crowds because a case of the Corvid would be fatal to me. During the Corvid shut- in, I haven't walked too much and the old story, "If you don't use it, you lose it" is so true of muscle and body co-coordination. I'm starting to walk more and do more activities to regain my muscle strength and ability to walk better. Going to the cabin will help in all areas with the excercise I get doing cabin maintenance and other tasks.

I have a Digitrax PR-4 attached to a test track, used for working with decoders, sitting next to my computer desk and its a hassle to bring locomotive up from the basement to do decoder programming. I'm looking for a inexpensive lap top to install the PR-4 program and keep the laptop down my my layout and work bench.

Most of the lap tops I've seen run on Chrome and any programs that you want added need to purchased on line at the Chrome store so this eliminated them from the choices for a lap top since the PR-4 program runs on Windows and I can't install it on the lap top. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but seen this comment on adding programs to lap tops on many reviews.

I enjoy this Forum and the work the members show in the photos posted.

My layout expansion never happened this winter which maybe a good thing so I can do more planning. The basement in this area need some reorganization and cleaning.

So much for my news.

Greg

#######################
Greg, something like this would be more than enough for what you want. It’s local to me, and I can get it, make sure everything works, and send it to you for a tick over two hundred bucks...:

Greg, something like this would be more than enough for what you want. It’s local to me, and I can get it, make sure everything works, and send it to you for a tick over two hundred bucks...:

Terry: Thanks for the great offer. The price is right....but before I read your post I emailed a friend who has an IT business and he had a bunch of new and used computers when Cathy (wife) was looking for a laptop. Let me have some time to get back to you.

Thanks again.

So I signed up myself and wife for covid 19 shots on 02/06 today. That is for Putnam county NY.

Greg what do you need? I have 2 unused computers hanging around here. One with Windows 10 installed the other a Chrome Book.

I also have a just about new sit on scooters with a 10 mile range doing nothing in my garage plus one of those $10,000 stairway lifts.
I tried to give them both away to a veteran with no takers. If anyone out there doesn't have the money to purchase either send me a message.
George

See, I was thinking of telling Troy to wait till he is visiting Jaz Valley, then call her.
It is not still April fools day...so when is Troy visiting!?.....how did he even find me secret lair! I’ll have you know I have guards
E98819AD-A6D0-457B-8AE4-BA10F23635C5.jpeg

Sasquatch modelled for a American modeller who uses it as his avatar :) The modeller and his two dogs are in the foreground with Budweiser which i am assured is essential costume :D
A962B6D9-B3FE-4923-9F98-DC662FECC380.jpeg

6E9C90FA-EAEE-4D88-AAA9-F7335BB8CF97.jpeg

on the other hand my two Doberman’s look forward to lunch...dates :D. No cropped ears no docked tails they look innocent butter wouldn’t melt in their mouth....those long tails help them corner fast...as the local cats and foxes and munkjak deer can attest to....:p

Wife didn't appreciate my April fools joke of switching scales and taking over the entire basement... expecially after spending all that money on a new grill.

Today I cooked on it... well, I fired it up, and smeared oil all over the cast iron griddle. Then buttoned it up to let the griddle season.

Howdy ...

I just decided not to include MLB on my list of things to do this summer.

Jaz .... Your Dobermans look so much better without cropped ears and docked tails. A Sasquatch would be an interesting item to include on a layout.

Phil .... I'm glad you and Curt are in contact. Maybe, he will have something you can tell us about.

Willie .... Mikey's Mattress Manufacturing looks good.

Everybody ...... Have a good night.

Good morning gang
8:30 and we've already picked up grandson, been to the landfill, stopped back at his parents house, picked up his 4 wheeler, and now he and the wife are "training" the pups..Too much activity for a Saturday. I still have to take the big dog to the vet at 10 for a check up.
Gonna need a big stack of flapjacks Flo!
BBL

DA88ADD9-5FCE-4B93-B2F7-1FA5A4E5ECCA.jpeg

I had ideas like this
C6F55A23-1327-4F93-B197-DAE26FB404E5.jpeg

on reflection instead of making all the model from scratch I could have used a figure on the larger end of 00, you H0 modellers could use an 00 model the size would make him nice and beefy,then add modelling texture with a cocktail stick, I thought Orangatan colours, Planet of the Apes always portrayed them as the smart ones. I originally did him as a trial but the modeller immediately grabbed his likeness as an avatar and I was so chuffed I stopped. Faces at 00 would have been a struggle trying it at H0 would have been even harder. but yes Sasquatch in the trees and hills for you US modellers seems perfect :D

Good Morning!
Looking out the window into darkness, I can see there is a heavy fog this morning. Might be a good morning to head out and take some passionate 'mood' photos. Seems cold, though, at 26°F; so it might be a better idea to sit in here and enjoy a few cups of warm coffee.

The grandkids came over yesterday to have the Easter egg hunt, and won't be returning for the rest of the weekend. So, I'm free to do whatever pleases me. Except that the crystal ball tells me there's a grass rake in my near future.

You fellas will have to tell me if you are sick and tired of seeing photos of prototype rail cars on a modeling site. Otherwise, I'll just continue in my evil ways. Railcars are so easy to photograph; they're big and they don't move around. The perfect photo subjects.

Here is a gondola I found sitting downtown. I suspect it will be employed by the MOW boys to haul away old rail ties.
I like the weathering on this gondola. It looks like it would be an easy rust effect to copy with a brush onto a scale model:
Gon_BCOL 310013_03-31-2021 (1).jpg

Gon_BCOL 310013_03-31-2021 (6).jpg

Gon_BCOL 310013_03-31-2021 (8).jpg

Gon_BCOL 310013_03-31-2021 (9).jpg

Jaz - I've never seen a sasquatch that wasn't packing a case of 'Kokanee' beer. - The Dobermans look to be a fine pair of dogs.

Well, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy a few coffee. It's only 7:01am where I'm sitting, and just turning daylight. - Wow, I just looked out the window, and is it ever foggy! I can't see the trees in the park 300' away. Might just head out!

Have a good one!

Good morning still from Wisconsin. My last minute trip fell apart yesterday so I am still home. The sun is shining and our temperatures should get to 59f degrees and possibly into the 60’s. Sunday though should hit 70+.

jaz a, while I am not a fan of the possibly fictional big guy, that picture of yours is out standing. The dogs are beautiful

guy, I will tell you I have absolutely have no issues with the posting of Proto photos as I don’t have access to the real stuff especially getting the close up details you are providing for my modeling purposes. Today’s pictures really hit home for me. Thanks. Boris and other Proto picture posters. Keep posting the current and the old pictures both in color and the b/w if you have those. It doesn’t matter to me as while I model modern, I still can learn from the pictures posted from any era.

besides, this is the diner.

MLB, while I appaul yesterday’s All Star game decision, I understand your stands and decisions. That really is what makes this country (USA) so great. States rights though should mean something but with today’s make up and cancel cultures, who knows anymore.

I will be working on the layout today, but avoiding the workbench.

F6DB071E-0ECE-4C00-B8B0-8C0B64058F72.jpeg

TomO

Good Morning All. Cloudy and looks like 57° at this location. Seems like the weather forecast for the next ten days is all he same, upper 50's at night, mid 80's during the afternoon and partly cloudy off and on the whole time. Wind speed will vary from 10 mph to 22 mph but it will be blowing constantly. No rain in sight. Such is life on the windswept prairie!
Once again due to Covid concerns, my family, siblings and offspring, are not going to have the large annual Easter Egg hunt and luncheon tomorrow. It's historically been 45+ people. It's too bad as tomorrow looks like a great day for it. I will however be doing a much smaller version at my daughter's home with both daughters, SIL's and three grandkids. Just nine folks which seems like too few compared to a normal year. But it is more than last year when we didn't even get together except by phone.

Hey there Flo. Good to see you this morning. I'll just take scrambled eggs and a double shot of bacon today. Hold the toast.

Thanks for all of the comments and reactions regarding yesterday's pictures; Karl, Mikey, Troy, Justin, Guy, Jaz, Tom O, Ken, Sherrel, Garry.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued work on the grade crossing. Just the portion between the main and siding. All of the work was being done over on the workbench in preparation for installation. Prepared the culvert pipes, and made the paved portion from tarpaper and styrene to make installation easier. No pictures of that stuff yet. Another simple workbench task was making two street signs for the scene, I also added a pre-made RR crossing sign.
IMG_5920.JPG

IMG_5921.JPG

Like I said, not much to show this morning. It will get better. I am going to have to bring out the weed/tall grass stuff and get to work on that. I don't know about your part of the world, but it is quite prevalent around here.

Guy - Don't be too down regarding the Mustang's year. I remember them well, but did not remember that difference. I had different friends who had models from both years. You're right about the Harley's. I have a younger neighbor who has one and it can be heard from quite a distance, actually a couple of miles. Thankfully he can't afford to put gas into it, so he only rides about once a month, to the gas station and back!
Jaz - I love what you do with figures. The character from Beetlejuice is excellent. Nice looking pair of puppies.
George -
Is this the new oil pipe line into the US?
To an extent, yes! However the Keystone pipeline already exists, the permit that was yanked was for a "shortcut" section that would allow greater more direct flow. It's a shame that all that money has been wasted.
Garry -
I just decided not to include MLB on my list of things to do this summer.
That will free up some time that could now be used better!
No further comment on baseball or pipeline as I might step over the politics line!

Today is National Play Outside Day, actually the first Saturday of every month is. Hmmmh! When I grew up in the 50's and 60's, every day was play outside day.
Happy early Easter everybody, have a wonderful day and stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back