Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
CURT - I have not seen WS foam so I cannot make a comparison; however, according to what is advertised - it is better! I sure like the sample I received. I can send you a sample of my sample or you can request same from his listing.

The water heater saga continues. After working fine yesterday, earlier today, the water coming out of the closest faucet was only 105°, so I bumped it up to the maximum setting of 140° to no avail. I was getting an error message of E5 on the digital display. Nothing in the installation manual; and a search of the Internet led to many answers of insufficient ventilation. Except this is an electric model that needs no venting! After banging my head against the wall several times, I checked the breakers and found one of them in the off position, along with several others in the box. Oooops! I must have moved them when I replaced the cover on the breaker box. Flipping the appropriate one along with several others that didn't matter to this problem, lo and behold, the water was much hotter. Too hot since I still had it set on 140°. Crisis averted.:)
Then the next issue. My wife complained that the water was not hot when she turned the faucet on, when it was supposed to be instant hot water. I had to carefully explain that it actually was instantly hot, but that didn't change the length of time it took for the hot water to travel from the heater to the faucet. o_O
I think that we're set now. Phew!:)

Good evening gang!

Got up early to work on Curly Joe (the brass GP15) To put it lightly, it was 1 step forward, 2 steps back all day. Between a spot of paint lifting and a botched touch up (who knew Scalecoat 2 brushes a darker shade than is sprays) it wound up going back in the Aircraft Stripper vat. After stripping and cleaning an automotive adhesion promoter was applied , then the basecoat again. It currently sits on its paint stand in front of a space heater, and it will til morning.
In the meantime I'll work on my Snowman trailer. 😒

Bob. A friend took me to Pittsburg on a 2 day railfanning trip years ago. We went up Mt. Washington on the incline, ran around the steel mills and railfanned a good bit. We ate like kings that weekend. I don't recall Isaly's, but breakfast on day 2 at Deluca's in the strip district was amazing!

Sherrel, My condolences on your loss. If you are going to cut Homasote, a table say is best, but better do it outside and wear a mask or respirator, that stuff make HUGE dust storms!

If you are going to cut Homasote, a table say is best, but better do it outside and wear a mask or respirator, that stuff make HUGE dust storms!

After routing out the first wheel in my basement for my driver project. I decided I would rather freeze outside then do another inside.

driver_1.jpg

Good night America, how are ya? I haven't been posting for several days but I have been trying to keep up with the goings ons. My wife was not feeling well yesterday but is OK today. Glad for that! I've stayed busy with little projects around here and it does help pass the time. I will be mowing again in a day or two.

Something that I started doing again is watching Stobe the Hobo videos on Youtube again. I've always liked watching his videos but after I started working at the bearing factory, I really didn't have enough time. Then I came across one of his videos again and was upset to find out that he was killed in November, 2017.

If you're not familiar with him, he made a practice of hopping freights and posting videos of his adventures. I know, what he did was illegal and dangerous, but I and thousands of others enjoyed them immensely. He ultimately paid for it with his life. That doesn't change the fact that his videos offered a unique perspective and sometimes humorous commentary on this country during his travels. They offer a glimpse of "the other side of life" that most rarely think about. I know they may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you are interested, go to Youtube and do a search for "Stobe the Hobo" and get ready to spend some time enjoying sights of this country from a view that you never see from a normal road trip. The piano playing in his videos was done by himself and I think it's great.

Greg-I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your BIL.

Sherril-I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin.

Remember, they will live on in yours and others memories.

Stay safe and six feet away!

Last edited:
Well I finished my laundry room platform today. Now the doors do not open against each other to create an obstacle and I do not have to bend down low to load/unload the machines! All I have to do is install the front wainscot white panels and on one side too. All set! This room is starting to take shape. I have to install 2 more LED light fixtures in the ceiling and then I have to install a 5 foot counter on the left wall for folding clothes etc. Then install a clothes rod above that. This will make my life easier and more efficient!

The other side of the room hosts my other hobby. Fishing. All my gear and work bench etc is there. I will post later after I clean up the mess.

Then the last thing will be tiling the floor. Which will be my last indoor project for the house. After that it's all outdoors. I have some fence work to do. Seasonal tractor maintenance on both of my tractors and of course my seasonal boat maintenance as well. Gotta get the garden going too.

Ya'll have a good evening its 50 and raining dropping to 33. Ugh. We had snow the last 4 nites thank goodness no accumulation but we have had rain everyday too.... so if this keeps up outdoor work may be delayed. Back to the train room will be fine with me. Just wished my switches would get here quicker...they are on back order.

Attachments

• 20200419_152118.jpg
    20200419_152118.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 20200419_165215.jpg
    20200419_165215.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 20200419_183216.jpg
    20200419_183216.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200419_183243.jpg
    20200419_183243.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Good evening ....

Sherrel .... Sorry to hear you lost a cousin.

Louis ... That is quite a meat slicer.

WIllie .... I sometimes hear about cleaning spider webs from train layout, but I've not heard of mud daubers nesting on a train layout. What a mess ! .... Thanks for commenting on my photo and telling about the ATSF TOFC terminal near Dallas.

George.... I'm impressed by your stay loco driver display.

Here are some shots of West End. This is the final section of my layout. It's mostly done. Some work remains on the coal mine and on the TOFC facility. Also, I need to add a passenger station for which I failed to leave adequate room . This area is 16' long and 6' wide.

In the last couple of photos, you can see my 1900 era scene. Most of the layout is about 1962, but I added this scene to display some of my models from my previous layout which was 1900 era.

49796183712_3e0e4a1cd4_k.jpg

49795876096_79c9d6bf8f_k.jpg

49796188537_734bb2c261_k.jpg

49796055921_dc62a17185_k.jpg

49796058231_8308d50440_k.jpg

39053913125_1e383c1ed7_k.jpg

I do not condone this kind of activity but these videos are insane....

The first one called "Flight of the Year" is highly illegal but the guy has some mad skills with his drone........

The 2nd one.... some of you seen in my post last month's coffee shop about the "Rail Beast"

Enjoy the videos...and article...

I still plan to model the "Rail Beast" 😜

The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society has been a snap happy chappie over the weekend. Saturday morning he heard on his scanner that the extra job was running to R-Y Timber in Livingston to pick up some loaded centerbeams of packaged lumber and deliver empties. Caught up with #'s 403 and 404 as they were pulling the full ones out of the yard, across Route 89. This is the old rail line to Gardiner but now ends just down the road at Merril Lane. Google maps doesn't show it as it it only serves R-Y, but it can be seen in the satellite view, enlarged. The part down to there acts as the yard's lead. The empties have been left above the switch to allow the locos to enter the yard and pull the full cars out. R-Y's operation covers quite a large area between '89 and the Yellowstone River.

Photo Credits are to the Montana Rail Link Railfan Society, facebook page.
1587368760702.png

Having exited the yard, they now reverse to couple the empties on and then forward down to the end of the lead, alongside '89.
1587368911841.png

Heading to the end.
1587369127238.png

After resetting the switch to the yard again, the empties are pushed in.
1587369945266.png

Leaving the yard again
1587370356230.png

Down the lead again
1587370516209.png

Away we go! Back to town!
1587370658167.png

1587370768770.png

Gee, it's good to be moving at last.
1587370886817.png

What!! What's that you say!? We have to go into a Wye?? (the east leg)
1587371214750.png

Last edited:
I'd love to be a Train driver, wouldn't you?
Back they go (but it's a nice closeup, isn't it?)
1587371545653.png

But then there was trouble with the switch to go back onto the main. (but is a better closeup)
1587371765333.png

So, we leave them waiting. At least it's nice day. Remember all those times as a boy you said you wanted to grow up to be a train driver?
1587371940527.png

WHOO-BOY, TOOT -- Quite a show you put on for us there. You must have drool all over your keyboard.
That sequence of photos along with the narrative is great. Looks like the weather was excellent for the railfanning too!
I was looking at google for the last hour "roaming" all around Livingston/ Boseman area and south. That Lumber yard there is huge - they have quite a number of sticks to saw up and I wonder what they do with the chips and sawdust - I couldn't pick out any hoppers to haul it away, or what may be bagged stuff for boxcars?

JAMES - Your mods on the laundry room look very nice. Going to make it a lot easier for you there.
The videos were wild - quite an accomplished pilot in order to do that kind of flying = I wonder what the range is on one of those?

GARRY - Your layout is amazing ... I don't think that I have seen that area before, WOWZER!

Willie
- couldn't get the link to work, but I did find what it was referring too. I made a comment on the place as to what I thought was BS and a total waste of taxpayer money. Several more comments echoed mine as well.
Glad you worked out the problem with the heater. I know that CHET likes his - What kind did you get - How about a link to that? I had a nice visit with Arlean on the phone.

DANG - I woke up at 2:30 this morning .. think I will see if I can get a nap in before the pups force me to get up for good?

Good Morning Everyone. Mostly cloudy and 53° here on the estate this morning. The severe weather yesterday stayed 45-50 miles south of me before moving eastward to LA, MS and AL. Hope that it missed you Mikey.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the layout tour; Tom, Phil, Sherrel, Guy, Karl, Curt, Jerome, Bob, Ken.

How about just a simple bacon sandwich this morning Flo. Whole wheat bread please.

Continuing on in the train shed with the structure cleaning and some rehab. I am lagging behind, having finished the targeted track and ROW cleaning last week.
Another small structure made from DPM walls, across from Velikovskys is a small law office. I got their name from the Three Stooges. Dewey, Cheatum & Howe.
04-18-20 015.JPG

McKrakens Lounge is a cardstock background structure that hasn't been firmly planted yet.

Across the next road from the Superior Bakery is another structure from what I believe was Model Power, I just don't remember any more. It was intended as a water company, I am re-purposing it as a mini-brewery.
04-18-20 022.JPG

04-20-20 001.JPG

Back in the corner are two more rail served businesses.
04-20-20 003.JPG

The Water Street Freight Terminal is a Walther's kit. I modified it by putting the truck docks on the front or near side of the structure.
Behind it is Matric Components, a background low relief structure made from Walther's modular walls.
04-20-20 004.JPG

To the right is another unfinished, unnamed background structure made from DPM walls. It will not be served by rail.
Traveling southbound past a totally unfinished 5' area, the main line crosses a creek that I am using as a scene divider. Still needs some work.
04-20-20 006.JPG

Sherrel - My condolences on the loss of your cousin.
Joe - I really like your post from yesterday morning. You have summed things up in a nutshell. I choose to wear my mask and practice social distancing because I like living. I am in four "at risk" categories, so I don't want to tempt fate. Thankfully I live in an area and have also chosen a lifestyle that precludes excessive interaction with others. Our county is still at zero confirmed Covid-19 cases; I shudder when you post the number in your area.
I fully understand the aggressive enforcement for the exact reason that you gave. Too many people are not using common sense.
Curt - The bakery was marketed as a bakery. ConCor and Revell before them also used the same walls for the two-stall engine house and also something I believe was called the Herald-Tribune building. I think that Model Power has the tooling now.
Garry - My old train room was just a ramshackle lean-to attached to the backside of my barn. I couldn't keep the mud daubers out. They wreaked havoc by building nests inside freight cars that sat on sidings too long (primarily through those holes in the ends of ACF covered hoppers), attached them to structures and scenery, and also attached them to wiring under the layout. New train shed eliminates that problem, although they still get in when I have the door open, they don't have "in and out privileges" that they need to gather the mud to build a nest. They will fly around for a few days and eventually die unless they can get back out. Someday I will add a screen door!
Really like yesterday's pictures.

Everyone have a great day.

Louis .... You posted a good selection of photos. The PC train with F-units is interesting with a mix of open and enclosed tri-levels. The Chessie train with a WM units has a lot of gondolas, and could be titled " Gon with the Wind" .
Garry, I thought that mixed freight Penn Central train/Conrail was interesting as well.

The "Gon with the wind" :) was really interesting to me!

They both gave me an ideas for trains when I get my stuff sorted out. I'm going to need to make some long runs for those trains in O.

Not to mention all the ideas I have gotten from you, and others.

The upside of not having yet rebuilt my layout; maybe this time I won't be changing track plans so much, maybe. ;)

Willie - couldn't get the link to work, but I did find what it was referring too. I made a comment on the place as to what I thought was BS and a total waste of taxpayer money. Several more comments echoed mine as well.
Glad you worked out the problem with the heater. I know that CHET likes his - What kind did you get - How about a link to that? I had a nice visit with Arlean on the phone.
I see that the facebook link doesn't work now either. Here's another.

The new water heater is a Rheem Retex-18. Third one down. Here's my local HD link.
Glad that you enjoyed the conversation with Arlene. She said that I was already in bed. She makes fun of me all the time for going to bed when the sun is still shining!

Louis -

I can't comment on a lot of folks, but I know a few that chose not to save when they could well afford to, and are now struggling. I used to warn some of my self-employed friends who bragged about not paying taxes and Social Security that it would catch up to them later. Those who laughed are now faced with Social Security checks that are barely worth the paper that they are printed on.

Willie, if they choose not to pay in into SS, like I did for most of my life; any help they get is welfare in my book. I did my best to make sure I was not doomed to a life of poverty on welfare. As I like to say "if you are looking for the source of your problems, check the mirror first."

For people who paid into SS all their lives, they should not live in poverty. Making them choose between paying health care and other expenses is wrong. I believe health care should be free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back