Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everybody. Thought that I'd take a short break from mowing the yard. Ended up having to go to the grocery store this morning even though I had planned to skip this week. Wife ran out of ginger root! :( I had my mask on as did about 2/3 of the shoppers and 3/4 of the store employees. Maybe 5% of each were wearing gloves. Store was a little more crowded than it usually is when I normally go on Thursday mornings, but they weren't out of anything that I was shopping for, or anything else that I could see. I didn't bother with the hand sanitizer or toilet paper aisle since I don't need any, but I assume that they were empty. People seemed genuinely serious about keeping their distance.
Noted that in a week's time gasoline prices went from $0.99/gal last week to $1.39/gal today.
On the way home I stopped for some pick up BBQ from a small local BBQ joint. The owner and I were talking (at a safe distance) and he noted that he had applied for one of those small business loans on Monday. He was told that he could pick up his check next Monday! :) That's pretty darn quick for anything to do with either a bank or the government! It was one of our local small town independent banks. Upon telling this to my wife, she informed me that our daughter who owns her own business, applied last Friday, had to supply some additional paperwork on Monday and was also told to pick up her check next Monday. She was able to provide everything over the Internet including her signature.
More good news from the SFW estate. We filed our tax return electronically on Sunday, sometime last night we had a direct deposit in our bank account. Incredible!!! Another quick turnaround for the Government. Must be part of that "red tape" elimination program recently enacted. Also got an E-Mail informing us that this month's Social Security payment would come three days earlier than normal.
I hope that things work out this well for all in these unusual times.
It's beginning to cloud up a bit more outside, maybe I should rest the tractor and check out the train shed. :cool:

However, I am glad that I have "No Ice To Break"!
LOL, Sherrel. It's not so bad! Could have been worse. If I was baking on white sand, being tormented by bikini clad beauties, and viewing a landscape of blue water and colorful beach umbrellas, I wouldn't have been paid eighty bucks to help pay for this:
ATH96775.jpg

As it is, I didn't mind spending an hour breaking ice. And the old fella insists on paying me, against all objections. It's just his way, I suppose.

I won me a HO Scale Centerline Products Model D32 Rail Cleaner wRoller Pads Kadee Couplers! $32 bucks! plus $8 dollar shipping! Evil bay strikes again!

I have been looking for one of these for a while. These things brand new are over $70 bucks!

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 133.jpg
    133.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 555.jpg
    555.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 139
I wouldn't have been paid eighty bucks to help pay for this:
Well, GUY -- You have a cool neighbor .. No wonder you don't mind?
My next too favorite diesel unit being the RS-1

I hope that things work out this well for all in these unusual times.
That all sounds great, Willie. NEWS is full of seemingly endless problems - Makes me wonder?

Park for the pic in front of the Corporate offices of the P&H Beans co,
What are you trying to do? Stink up the place?
Beautiful job except the space is off between the 4th an 5th grab on the right?

I have been looking for one of these for a while.

Score!! Heck of a deal for you .... but,
I'm sticking with my 55 YO Ulrich.
1586473522563.png

Well, GUY -- You have a cool neighbor .. No wonder you don't mind?
My next too favorite diesel unit being the RS-1

That all sounds great, Willie. NEWS is full of seemingly endless problems - Makes me wonder?

What are you trying to do? Stink up the place?
Beautiful job except the space is off between the 4th an 5th grab on the right?

Score!! Heck of a deal for you .... but,
I'm sticking with my 55 YO Ulrich.
View attachment 46281

Good evening everyone. 61 right now (6 p.m.) heading down to 30 tonight!! Can you believe it?! Winter won't leave us alone.

Tilled our garden area three nights ago, and my wife planted potatoes as well as gave the onions some more room. Mowed the yard last night and the dusts and pollen nearly killed me. Did the weed-whacking this evening with a mask on.

Burlington Bob, Patrick, Sherrel, Karl, Flip and anyone I may have missed - thanks for your likes on my post yesterday.

Like I said yesterday, getting used to this working from home schedule is taking a while. Committees meeting by Zoom - had four such meetings this week. Fortunately we have off tomorrow - so guess what - - we get to stay home!?!?!

Finally got to run trains for a bit this evening. Here's a couple of photos of one of my trains coming through the tunnel near the logging camp.

TunnelPhoto1.jpg
TunnelPhoto2.jpg

Have a good evening everyone.

Information based on peer reviewed articles about why how the Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine might work against COVID-19, in conjunction with Zinc. (Based on effects with similar viruses and pulmonary issues). Also explains a lot of other things about it using the best information we have now. It is updated as they learn more.

Morning all,

Mostly dark and 32* this morning. We're supposed to get in the mid-70's tomorrow and possible snow (although no accumulation) Sunday night into Monday. Predicted lows in the upper 20's. It will be interesting to see if I end up with any fruit between the apples and blueberries which are now starting to bloom and the peaches which finished last week....At least I haven't turned on the sprinkler system yet this year.

Hopefully some train time this weekend as I want to get the track blocks completely wires and then I can deal turnouts. I still need to get the wire and we have a Radio Shack store here that sells wire fairly cheap (ok cheaper that the big box stores), but I haven't checked if they're considered essential.

Good Good Friday Morning to All. Clear skies and 50° to start the day. High staying in the lower 70's later today, thunderstorms and 60° tomorrow. Warm again for Easter Sunday and then wow! They are now predicting a low of 35° for early Monday morning, could be close enough to freezing to spell trouble for much of my garden. I hope not.
Our family's annual Easter egg hunt/sit down dinner has been cancelled this year for obvious reasons. It's normally quite a raucous affair with between 40 and 48 of my siblings and their/our offspring. As the oldest born child of my mother and father I am now the patriarch of 60± brothers, sisters, my children, nieces, nephews, spouses, and more third generation kids than I can remember the names of. This is a tradition started by my grandparents back in Brooklyn in the last century and it's the first time in my 68 years that we are not celebrating together.

A big ole bowl of oatmeal today Flo. I'll be glad when Lent is over so I can have bacon on Fridays.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the rehabilitation project that I am about to undertake, or maybe it was the soft drink machine pictures; Joe, Guy, Phil, Bob, Patrick, Garry, Karl, Sherrel, Tom, Jerome, Curt, Chad, Johnny, Ken. Either way, thanks a lot. Life/projects in my train shed can be many and varied, I am glad that some of you can draw inspiration from some of my stuff.

I only had time for a short visit to the train shed with the unexpected trip to the grocery store, and mowing the yard later on. I did get those windows cleaned up and properly reinstalled. Here are some of the additional things that I have to fix on this second-hand structure.
Look at what the previous modeler (?) did to the fire escape.
04-09-20 009.JPG

04-09-20 010.JPG

04-09-20 014.JPG

And the ladder to the water tower that ends off the edge of the platform.
04-10-20 001.JPG

I did remove the fire escape parts and began the process of cleaning them up.
04-09-20 016.JPG

04-09-20 017.JPG

I also removed the water tower ladder and have it weighted down to see if I can flatten it a bit.

Guy - Don't fret taking so long on those flat cars. I have redone cars over the years that I initially rushed to finish. I have found that in many cases, if I hit a rough spot, it's best to just set the project aside until the next day and drink a beer instead.
Joe - For me, it's not so much getting into position to work on wiring under the layout, but extricating myself.
Bob - Yep! It's that time of year on the plains of tornado alley to double check emergency supplies and be sure that the safe spot is ready.
Lloyd - Thanks for the pictures. I also like the old car in the field. I'll have to remember that for upcoming scenes.
Karl - Wow! Excellent model. I have never built a "box o' sticks" freight car before. It looks excellent but quite predates my era.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie: A little heat like from hair dryer will do wonders on that plastic. I used an emboss heater that my daughter has to fix the black plastic air dam on the truck after I hit a low wall backing out too sharply out of a parking space. You really have to know where to look to see it. Just be careful as the emboss heater can get too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back