Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning, Everyone!

It has been unusually cold up here. Right now it's -12C in the morning sun, and the wife wants to go ice-fishing. She'll just have to wait until the afternoon; supposed to warm to +5C, which is more to my liking. I'm not going to drive on the lake anymore this year, so I'll pull a toboggan. Every year, someone gets stuck in the springtime slush out there, and it becomes hard to find motorized help. People don't want to find themselves in the same hole. My thought is that if you are dumb enough to drive out there, you'll soon be smart enough to get yourself out.

Terry - I do like your backyard. If there is a building back there in the picture, it is certainly well camouflaged.

Sherrel - I don't usually have the patience to watch videos over 10mins long, but, I watched the one you posted twice. Good video!

Chet - Nice photos. That steamer photo is a beautiful scenic. I like Studebakers, and still remember them driving around from my youth.

Willie - The detailing on your building looks really good. Are the gooseneck lights working? I've seen the WS ones advertised, but, they seem to be quite pricey.

Alan - I do like your post. The flatcar does look like it is coming around, despite the difficulties. I'm building two flatcar kits myself, stalled now while I wait for couplers to arrive. I really like the Mack B-61 and trailers photo. I've just purchased a Sylvan Mack B-61 kit:
MackB-61.jpg

The kit has not arrived yet. Somehow, I get the feeling it is not as nice as your Atheran example. At least, not unless I can do a masters job of building it with extra details. I don't know what's in the box, though, so perhaps I speak to early. Certainly, I hope it is acceptable.

Anyway, time to load the truck for fishing. It is real easy to maintain social distancing on the ice, so I'm not worried in that respect. If anyone else is there, we will be able to maintain 100's of yards distance.

Everyone have a great day!
Guy

Good Morning Everyone....somewhat sunny here in Wisconsin and cool.

Yesterday, we ventured out into the world for meds, refreshments and fried chicken from a drive thru service. I felt okay with the drive thru ordering a meal until the window clerk greeted us in bright, glowing blue hair! We drove to a small county park to have our lunch and the orders were missing straws, pepper and salt and napkins. Where we parked we could see the CP main line and a freight did appear and I was surprise that the train had only one locomotive and it was a very long container train.

Yesterday afternoon we did receive some bad news about my brother-in-law. They stopped giving him the meds that keep him in semi-coma state and discovered that he had stroke which now only a MRI can determine how bad the stroke actually was and its affects. He's not coming out of the coma as he should and that concerns his physicians. Bob' wife also a Doctor will be out of quarantine tomorrow after a mild case of C-19. My wife, living in Wisconsin, is going crazy not being able to help her sister in Arizona.

Train time today to help keep my mind off the everything that's happening around us.

Going to finish cleaning the layout room and start some more projects. I want to make a corrugated steel fence for the layout's last four junk yards. I'll use a plastic fence as the frame work and install Campbell's steel corrugated panels for the ence. It doesn't have to be exact since not many old paneled fences are perfect. I weather the panels and add signage.

Willie: Your building project is coming along great. Makes me want to construct one of the wooden kits I have in stock, but no place on the layout to installed them. The outside wall vent, smoke stack and light fixture are nice added dteials to the model.

Espeefan: Interesting plastic clamps that you are using on the flat car project.

Sherrel: Your comments were well said.

Time to move on.....

Greg

###################

Good Morning gang!
Week 2 of quarantine begins with outdoor projects today. Cleaning the exterior of the house, permanently setting up the base for the firepit, and now that the spigot is repaired(yesterday's project) washing the cars.
Willie, the house looks awesome! ya done good especially when you consider how you had to re-engineer some facets of the kit.
Alan, Your flat car kit looks, er, um, challenging. I admire the workmanship, just glad I was not in earshot of it! 😄 No need to explain, we've all been been there. You ought to hear me working on a car! :eek::rolleyes:😄

Speaking of kits, it's beginning to look like a boxcar, instead of a box-o-sticks! The brake plumbing was a real
P.I.A even wearing cheaters with a magnifying lamp! The top side should be easier.
IMG_4086.JPG

Alan, Guy, or anyone else seeking period Mack trucks, don't forget Matchbox's 1:87 line of diecast trucks, they pop up on ebay from time to time. I was lucky to catch 4 of them at an estate sale last year, then found others on ebay. They also had a line of more modern trucks too!

20190218_213606.jpg

Greg, sorry to hear about your BILs downturn. We'll keep him in our prayers

Gotta roll, BBL

Out in the train shed, for the most part, the structure is now complete except the stair railing.
Willie- the building is looking great. One question, are you planning on stairs for the new platform? Or is access limited through the door only?

My modeling is being done with a pencil and eraser today. Playing with the N scale track plan gets a little confusing some times. I am using a 1" = 6" scale for the track plan, a 1" = 1" for measurements of the actual layout. A 35' N scale building has a 2-1/2" footprint on the layout and a 3/8" square on paper. The mental gymnastics has worn me out so I think I'll go take a nap!

Yo! How's it going? it's sunny today, after a surprise morning shower.

The booster I ordered was delivered this morning. No more excuses. i also prepared some paperwork for the wife, relating to the MIL. New Micro Mark Catalog, and Model Railroader arrived for later reading.

The LTCF called today. As of this morning, they have 19 cases of Covid 19, on Friday it was 1. Not clear on whether the MIL is affected...

Alan, Dave and Willie: Nice Photos, Nice Modeling.

Sherrel: Politicians? Pay Cut? Ha!

Willie: Low numbers are good, but just be cautious. The plague just sneaks upon ya. all it takes is one carrier. Look at the Facility, been locked down since March 10, no cases until last Friday, mushroomed to 19 patients, 6 staff since then... That's why staying away from people, places and things is so important. If you have to go somewhere risky, make sure you have ppg on.

Guy: The B-61 looks like a fun project. Sylvan makes a great line of fire trucks, including B-61 Macks and Seagraves. Is it warming up any up there?

Saw something disturbing, yesterday, on a Delaware EMS site. Apparently, some folks calling for emergency medical services, are knowingly withholding information that the person needing help is Covid-19 Positive, thus placing the EMS crew, and others helped by the crew at additional risk of infection. Plus, once know, the crew is removed from service and quarantined for 14 days, risking a breakdown of EMS Services...

Alan, what happened to the Athearn Macks? I have been to a hobby shop only a handful of times since mine closed in 2014 so I'm not too sure what's available.
My understanding is that Athearn was sued by First Gear over some sort of rights. Not sure if it was licensing, or whatever. In the slot car world, for example, Carerra is the only company allowed to sell Ferrari models RTR. Athearn had to stop making them. First Gear isn't interested in making them, at least not at this time, so what's out there is all there is. There are some on e-bay but they are commanding premium prices. It's a shame. They were beautifully done. I got lucky here and got what I needed before they were all gone.

Good Day Gentlemen
Has anyone seen this series of publications on locomotives? This one was in with a bunch of "junk" I found on C/L last year. I saw a number of them on Ebay up to# 28 so I got lucky with #20 being of the 4-8-4. Amazing amount of construction and performance detail for each #series of this loco. Only about 20-25 pages with some pics but great reading about the design and performance of these machines.
Also, thanks to whoever rotated my picture in yesterday's post for me!! I'm guessing BOB?
4-8-4 book.jpg

Howdy, everybody

Karl .... Thanks for the tip about Matchbox 1/87 trucks. I'll look for them.

Guy ...... Have fun with your Sylvan kit. They are fun to build. Good quality.

The orange tractor/ trailer in my rural scene is made from Sylvan models kits: White tractor and Fruehoff trailer.

36755104966_97642788ae_b.jpg

I made another Sylvan kit to build the smaller red Chevy truck at my lumber yard. The larger red Chevy truck was made from a resin kit from another manufacturer. I scratch built the flatbeds on the backs of each truck.

36663128971_ba5392c369_b.jpg

Everybody ....... Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did some chores inside and put down weed killer on the driveway in the cracks. Today on the kit I dry brushed window frames and doors and painted flat black on the inside walls. Tomorrow I should be able to start putting them (3) together. It looks like they expect the modeler to use bare cardboard for the roof...that's not going to happen so I'll probably use corrugated roofing. Kathy is sewing masks for the extended family. She's making me 2 with Pennsy locomotives (T1 and K4s) from fabric she has.:)

Karl- Great job on the wooden kit.

Joe- Our gas has been in the high $1.70's to low $1.80's.

Dave- Nice layout shots. Are some of yours posting sideways also?

Alan- The car looks good.

Willie- Very nice job on the build. Do the lights work? I didn't post a picture because for some reason my pictures are posting sideways although they are correct in my computer photo folders. To be honest it really pisses me off...but I will post it.

Garry- Excellent scenes.

hope everyone has a good night.
1586211236682.png

Last edited by a moderator:
DAVE and CURT ...
I am the guy trying to upright your photos - thought I was going to lose Dave's yesterday - I had trouble with it too?
Curt - I uprighted yours just now (at least I think I did) but I could not get it to enlarge more than it is.
I may - if I get to it - try a program I have to make it larger. problem I see with it is that it is a very small size only 33 KB so all it may do is fuz out - will see.
Please note that I am not the shiniest marble in the sack for computer work?
Need big pic like the one Dave just posted?
Trying something here - bear with me.
curt 02.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back