Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Did some errands in isolation but almost ran into a bicyclist that flew through a stop sign without even looking. After getting home I put out ant bait and edged the driveway and sidewalk then butt dialed Phil. I still need to put down weed killer on spots on the concrete but I was really hot and I'll probably get to it Tuesday. After lunch I worked on the truck coal dump, but realized I didn't paint a part that I thought was packing material but wasn't. Everything is together except that. I'll take a photo tomorrow when it's complete.

Willie- Beautiful modeling and it will look good there.

Joe- Nice looking B&O Geep with the sunburst. I don't remember seeing that before (poor memory?).

Sherrel- LMBO. Interesting fixture on the KCS loco.

Hughie- Neat picture with the running water under the bridge.

Tom- Wow, nice modeling.

Everybody stay safe and have a good night.

There has been a train accident in Germany (near the Swiss border). A BLS (private Swiss rail company) cargo train hit a piece of an under-construction bridge and derailed. Driver is dead. The train is a so-called "rolling highway" train where fully loaded trucks are entrained and their drivers are in an accompanying passenger wagon. There were 10 truck drivers along for the ride -- 1 was badly injured, 2 had injuries, and 7 were more or less OK.

Link has pics and shows what happens when locomotives and concrete bridges are in the same lane.

(For those who speak German, the embedded video is a Swiss news broadcaster talking about the accident in Swiss German -- highly interesting to listen to)

Coincidentally a rail fan trainspotter had photographed this train a few minutes before the accident.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2578814925697839&set=gm.3080539488645862&type=3

(Sorry for the Facebook link but you don't need to be logged in to see it). The comments have a few more pics (before and after).

Just finished running a couple of trains. The B&M is on the interchange, D&H duo is moving a coal drag to the docks and CSX has the chemical cars going to the plant. They are all seen just outside Deerfield.
3 Trains.jpg

Good Afternoon Everyone.....the Sun finally arrived this afternoon in Wisconsin.

Done for the day in the train room. Signals and turnouts are operating smoothly and the way they should operate. The only mistake I made is that all but one of the signal lamps are 12-14 volts and the remaining lamp is a 12 volt. The 12 volt burns much brighter than the others at <10 volts. I could wire the lamps to my signal circuit which runs just under 12 volts for better light intensity. It only a matter of moving the wires over one and two positions on the terminal strip.

I did a basic cleaning of the train room. It's amazing how messy it can get when I work on the railroad.

I listen to https://radiostationusa.fm/online/party-929, a radio station in Hartford, Wisconsin that plays a lot of uplifting party music and it's mixed from different eras. I listen mainly from my computer.

Monday, I'll finally get to running trains.

Back to surfing the web.

Greg

Well the long-awaited news finally came: MHO tested negative. I probably shouldn't be that surprised, since the positives usually come back sooner whereas the negatives compel more tests, and still more, to rule out any false-negatives.

Makes me wonder, though - what exactly was it that caused her to be short of breath for 3 days and forced her to use an inhaler - something she's only had to do once or twice over her entire life?

As least she can go back to work now, though many of her patients are afraid to come to the practice. Her boss is training all the staff for this "Tele-Med" thing which Joe despises, as does MHO. Nobody's expecting it to be a cash cow, but having it is like the latter-day equivalent of brick-and-mortar stores investing in online business capability 20 years ago: "Adapt or be left behind." This Covid19 thing just forced tele-med to happen a bit sooner and faster than anyone had planned.

We just got back from the lake where we made sure the pontoon was secure, burned a stack of dead limbs and vacuumed the N scale layout. Now we can shelter in place as necessary.
Then I spent two hours measuring and noting the current track and scenery plan. The current roads are too wide and there are areas that can be flattened to place structures there. Maybe I can do some armchair modeling when I get the track and scenery located on paper.

Took me a little time to read through all the action going on today, but the pictures are what makes me stop, look, copy and save to a file.

Illegitamus Carbornundum- don't let the bastards grind you down!

Good evening everyone. 42 and cloudy out there - winter's back, I guess - - we'll be back in the thirties tonight.

we continue this roller coaster ride through weather. Warm one day, nearly freezing the next. Looks like the next week will be that way. Only going out when we absolutely have to (food run, bank).

Chessie, Iron Belt Ken, Karl, Curt, Boris, and anyone I missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my post of the farm yesterday. I changed my email address and evidently lost some of the "reactions". sorry.
Willie - as always, nice photos of your structure build. Looks good.
Terry - Great rewrite of the words to that song.
TexasHobo - nice shot of your layout.

Everyone stay in and stay safe.
Have a good day everyone.

Joe- Nice looking B&O Geep with the sunburst. I don't remember seeing that before (poor memory?).

Curt: The "Sunburst" scheme, came about with the delivery of the GP30s, which I think was 1962 I thought it was attractive, but it was replaced by the C&O/B&O "Enchantment" Blue Scheme, with a Capitol Dome. around 1964.

Her boss is training all the staff for this "Tele-Med" thing which Joe despises, as does MHO. Nobody's expecting it to be a cash cow, but having it is like the latter-day equivalent of brick-and-mortar stores investing in online business capability 20 years ago: "Adapt or be left behind." This Covid19 thing just forced tele-med to happen a bit sooner and faster than anyone had planned.

Ken: The Negative Test Result is Great News! I'm happy for both of you. Interesting information about the time gap with the test result also.

I don't despise the test, I just dislike that some practices will want to go to all "Tele-Med". Like Analytics in sports, or DCC on model railroads, Tele-Med is great technology, has numerous possibilities for future applications, is an excellent new tool, but isn't everything. Health insurers have been pushing this for a good while, but until Covid 19, practitioners were reluctant to use it, except for peer to peer consultation in a hospital setting. When I had my pneumonia episode, some 18 months ago, the Quick Care physician used a version of it to consult with the radiologist, who read the chest x-rays they took on site and transmitted off site for interpretation. The feed back was nearly instant, and resulted in a quick diagnosis,
something we would have waited a couple days for, going the generally accepted way. Plus I had the CD and interpetive opinion letter to take to my Primary when I went for the follow-up.

Ken: The Negative Test Result is Great News! I'm happy for both of you. Interesting information about the time gap with the test result also.

I don't despise the test, I just dislike that some practices will want to go to all "Tele-Med". ...
Looks like I misinterpreted your earlier post Joe - my bad!:oops: All four docs at my wife's practice are over 60 and highly skeptical of anything that is more "hi-tech" than "hi-touch", for some of the very reasons you described. Imagine trying to do a rectal over the internet...😣

Good evening

Chet, Curt, Boris, Sherrel and anybody I missed thanks for commenting on my photo of TOFC tractor/trilaers in a downtown scene. ..... Also, thanks to the 15 who "liked" it.

This was our 24th day of social distance. We talked over the big new bridge this afternoon.

Ken .... I'm glad the test was negative.

Hughie ... That looks like a busy layout.

Chet .... I enjoyed watching the video of the TOFC train.

Willie ..... Your new building looks beautiful.

Sherrel .... If I dangled a 1/87 tire on the front of one of my HO engines, nobody would believe it was prototypical. .... LOL

Everybody ....... Good night.

Well the long-awaited news finally came: MHO tested negative. I probably shouldn't be that surprised, since the positives usually come back sooner whereas the negatives compel more tests, and still more, to rule out any false-negatives.

Makes me wonder, though - what exactly was it that caused her to be short of breath for 3 days and forced her to use an inhaler - something she's only had to do once or twice over her entire life?

As least she can go back to work now, though many of her patients are afraid to come to the practice. Her boss is training all the staff for this "Tele-Med" thing which Joe despises, as does MHO. Nobody's expecting it to be a cash cow, but having it is like the latter-day equivalent of brick-and-mortar stores investing in online business capability 20 years ago: "Adapt or be left behind." This Covid19 thing just forced tele-med to happen a bit sooner and faster than anyone had planned.

If MHO is a person, some persons can survive the virus, and show NEGATIVE with a mouth swipe. Urine and fecal analysis may show the contagen still present for as much as 30 days. Keep cleaning everything. This invisible enemy is not going away without a fight.

Is there an appropriate place to share prototype photos? This is day 22 of being in but my daughter is learning to drive so we go out driving for an hour or so a day. Yesterday (and today) the 663 (or is it the 664) ran the long way around so she got her first taste of "the chase". She did ok and I got this shot. It's not the one I was planning on but my favorite of the day. It was at a spot I'd never photographed from and got there and there wasn't much to work with. The light wasn't great and trees were blocking the view. Anyway, here it is.
2316--040320-s.jpg

This is the Portland and Western just outside North Plains, OR. This train comes from Salem, OR, and goes to Vancouver, WA. Usually, it uses the Union Pacific tracks through Portland, OR, but sometimes goes via Beaverton, Hillsboro, Banks, North Plains, United Junction. I think most of the GP39-2s are former ATSF as can be seen by the second and third (not pictured) units. The traffic I see on the train is empty covered hoppers, lumber on centerbeams, 60' hi-cube boxcars and a few tank cars. Generally, forest and agricultural products.

Is there an appropriate place to share prototype photos?
There is a forum for prototype railroads, but most, including me, tend to put up photos and videos of them in here. Haven't seen any objections yet.

Of interest is that the Logo used on the side of that Loco, was an adaption of Genesee & Wyoming's who until last year owned/leased 119 railroads in the US/Canada, and operated a couple here in Australia and others in Europe. Got sold to affiliates of Brookfield Infrastructure and GIC.

A follow up on #2311 behind #2316 did create a bit of a puzzle, because there are (or were) ex Sante Fe locos in BNSF's roster that must always remain in that blue and yellow scheme as part of either their lease or purchase. BNSF had a GP38-2 with the # 2311, but in the orange. So it didn't come through BNSF to P&W (reporting mark is actually PNWR). It came to them from the Williamette & Pacific (WPRR) as also #2311 and as you said, originally built as ATSF, #3610. Picture as it was as WPRR #2311
1586081557683.png

and as #3610 back in '92
1586081888897.png

Your lead loco #2316, followed exactly the same path to where it is now, beginning as ATSF #3615
1586083481461.png

The last photo of #2316 that appears on www.rrpicturearchives.net was last year. Your excellent one of it would make a great update to the files

P.S. they've also named it "Albany" and the 23 number series refers to the 2300 HP motors used in them.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 44° in this part of the world. Never saw the sun yesterday; only .02" at best in the rain gauge, akin to a heavy dew! Mostly cloudy for the next week, but the winds will start to come from the south around noon today and gradually warm things up. Supposed to get into the mid-80's by Tuesday

How about a couple of breakfast burritos this morning Francine. Sausage, egg, hash-browns and cheese with a bowl full of hot salsa on the side.

Thanks for the kind comments and likes regarding my project progress yesterday; Phil, Guy, Tom, Bob, Greg, Sherrel, Joe, Ken, Curt, Karl, Justin, Jerome, Johnny, Garry, Paul.

Didn't get everything accomplished in the train shed yesterday that I set out to do. I was able to get a few details added to the structure, but the rest of the railings gave me a hard time.
04-05-20 002.JPG

That little short section came apart while I was installing it and I had to do it over. Minimal glue points. I was able to build and complete the loading dock pictured above. I need to add some bracing next.
Meanwhile over in the scene itself, I added the incoming drive, propane tank and some ground foam to the end of the road. Still more detailing to be done there.
04-05-20 001.JPG

Contemplating on how I am going to get that gravel road to look more like it's going around the back of the elevator. I'll be partly masking it with some small trees.

Beady - We have had great luck repelling ants with Peppermint oil. Mix some with water and spray around baseboards and doors. The oil itself is toxic to cats, so keep kitty isolated in another room for a few hours until the mixture dries. It seems to be good for a few weeks in our home. Outside, pour boiling water on the mounds. Both beat the heck out of poisons which can harm everyone.
Bob - The stay at home orders in Texas are left to the discretion of individual counties. Social distancing seems to be working very well in less populated counties like ours, nonetheless we're also putting the odds in our favor. I haven't been to Dallas or Ft Worth lately, so I cannot observe social distancing in the population centers.
Chad - My pastor warned me about those foreign language films years ago! ;)
Hughie -Very nice layout photos.
Ken - Great news regarding your wife's test.
Ray -
there are (or were) ex Sante Fe locos in BNSF's roster that must always remain in that blue and yellow scheme as part of either their lease or purchase.
The only ATSF locos that this applies to are the GP60's. GP60M's and GP60B's are not part of that lease agreement, nor are any other models. Those diesels pictured are all GP39-2's. If a RR chose to keep them in that scheme it's because it's the best one around. :cool:

Today is Palm Sunday, only one more week until Easter Sunday. Trivia - What happens to all of those palm fronds that are distributed in Catholic churches today? Most people return them later and they are burned and the ashes are then used on Ash Wednesday the following year.

Everyone have a great day.

Today is Palm Sunday, only one more week until Easter Sunday. Trivia - What happens to all of those palm fronds that are distributed in Catholic churches today? Most people return them later and they are burned and the ashes are then used on Ash Wednesday the following year.

Willie- My wife makes crosses out of them.
The house looks great,can't wait to see what kind of details you put around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back