Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. 63° and cloudy in the neighborhood, with just enough light sprinkles to get things wet again today. Temperature will drop the rest of the day when the wind shifts from the north. Then a couple of cooler days until we hit the 80's again Tuesday. On again, off again light rain until then.
Ground warmed up enough for me to plant the green beans in the garden yesterday. Meanwhile the grocery/beer trek went well yesterday. I got everything that was on my list, barely in one case. First stop in the store when I got there was the eggs and I got the limit of two-18 packs immediately. When I passed by again about fifteen minutes later the shelves were empty, 12 packs, brown eggs, organic free range ones and the 18 packs, all gone! Just for grins, I looked at the empty TP aisle but that wasn't on the list. Canned goods were sparse, but there seemed to be some of everything, again they weren't on my list, except enchilada sauce. No crowds, about 25% of the employees were wearing masks and they had the plexiglass guards in place. But they had no checkers! I can use the self-checkout, in fact I normally bag my own even when I have a checker. But there was no wiggle room, no where to put the bagged stuff while I emptied the cart. A bit of juggling was necessary. I am good for another two weeks now. Of course my wife called me from home just as I was about done with the shopping part, and asked for something at the complete other end of the store, so I had to double back with a full cart (and the inevitable bad wheel) to get it. Home Depot was another story. Lots of people. I had to go for just one item, I broke my shovel Tuesday and needed another one right away. Like Kroger, half of the self-checkout registers were closed to promote social distancing.

Just a handful of bacon and some French Toast this morning Flo, I need to watch my figure.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the non-progress photos; Patrick, Jerome, Sherrel, Karl, Garry, Phil, James, Greg, Guy, Curt, Justin, Tom, Chet, Hughie, Mikey, Ken, Mike. And a thanks to those who liked the face masks..

Only had a little time in the train shed yesterday, I eyeballed that patch on the roof of the building. It doesn't look as bad to the human eye as it does on camera, so I am leaving it alone for now. Thanks to all for the suggestions though. Regarding the porch height, here's what I came up with.
04-03-20 001.JPG

I simply put a .080" foundation under it and painted it concrete. Next time I will cut two .040" sheets of styrene instead of the .080" because I only have a single-edge razor blade. :( It took a while to cut it with repeated light cuts. That brings up two more issues that I need to resolve. There's no back railing so I will have to fabricate one; there's extra stripwood in the kit to enable me to do that. Secondly, the porch will interfere with the stairway supports if I put it on the side of the structure. I had already considered trimming the rafters on the back side (as Joe suggested) so it would fit there, so I will look at that further. Meanwhile today I will start adding the diagonal bracing to the porch legs and doing other enhancements to the railings.
If you remember the original pictures that I posted, you may remember that there is a ramp from the double doors on what is now the right side of the building. I just don't think that it looks right to me. Maybe it's just a New England thing, but I am going for a proper loading dock instead.
04-03-20 002.JPG

I have plenty of stripwood available to make the supports. What do you think?

Karl -
I am now jealous of retired people, sleeping til 8 and not knowing what day of the week it is
While my body still wakes up at between 4 and 4:30, I do lose track of the days easily. I have to check in with Bill Gates in the bottom right corner of the computer screen to be sure! ;)
Curt - Is that just your modeling area, or is it the train room as well? Looks too clean and organized right now.
Beady - Good to read that the extraction went well.
George - I don't understand closing golf courses where they are closing them. It seems to be really easy to maintain social distancing there. Maybe just close the clubhouse and deliver the drinks. My SIL's country club has a special bar cart that will deliver when you call on your cell phone! It's pretty fancy.
Hughie - You're just a bit ahead of me with the mowing. I didn't start this year until February. Regardless, it still beats shoveling snow.
Karl - Very nice work on the covered hopper.
Alan - Nice job on the flatcar.
Bill - Lots of luck with that puzzle. It sure looks like a good one to me.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning all,

Wife surprised me and had beers in every room last night. We went bar hopping!

Coffee this morning and a pecan roll. Need to raise my blood sugar!!!!

Physical last week went fine. I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in.
Got the screws in the control panel last night and counter sunk the heads. Now to get some fillers and make them disappear on the topside get the holes bored so I can work with the wiring and then painted and hung and done......until it isn't.

Got colder last night than it was supposed to so there were accidents due to black ice in bridges and overpasses this morning. Winter weather advisory was extended overnight and a high of 45* today. 80* on tap for early next week....go figure.

Apparently by Federal guidelines I am considered an emergency responder...that doesn't get me any discounts at the stores. It does keep me at the office as much as possible.

George - I don't understand closing golf courses where they are closing them. It seems to be really easy to maintain social distancing there. Maybe just close the clubhouse and deliver the drinks. My SIL's country club has a special bar cart that will deliver when you call on your cell phone! It's pretty fancy.

You know how some women are. I'm bored sitting home and these guys are out playing golf. I'll put an end to that. That's my guess? I haven't played fearing bringing something home to my wife who's having some health issues this year.

Good Morning, everyone! I had better take a hot coffee.
It was -20C (-4F) when I sent the wife off to work this morning. This is quite unusual; it hasn't been this cold in April for the past 35 years, not since 1982. I should have plugged in the truck last night, but, I forgot. It protested with a bit of squealing when starting up for the wife this morning.
Thankfully, it is supposed to start warming up somewhat. The snowing has stopped for now.
That wild Snowshoe Hare has been coming in the yard to chew on my cherry tree buds. He don't seem to mind the cold:
Hare_04-02-2020.jpg

Willie - I really like how you post lots of photos to accompany you're narrative. It allows a fella to see what's going on.
That building you are working on is very nice. Those small issues you are having are simply part of the game. You certainly have a very capable skill-set to solve these small issues.
It seems odd to me, that you are already enjoying stuff out of the garden, and I wait another month before I can even plant.

Alan - Even though you think that flat car is toyish, it is a beauty. I do like the trailer load. Well done, indeed.

Curt - Pretty sure thats one of the most nice modelling rooms I've seen recently. Usually, it has to be in the basement away from the wife's gaze.

Karl - Very nice work on that hopper. I like to see that type of work, as I'm just starting my first railcar kit this very day.

Speaking of railcar kits, these Tichy kits arrived in the mail yesterday:
Kit_04-02-2020 (2).JPG

These are the first kits I have ever purchased of rail cars; a new experience.
Actually, I have a couple of questions. The kits do not supply couplers. If I purchase those Kadee 148 couplers, is that a good choice?
Also, I would like to replace the plastic wheels supplied with metal. Would the Rapido 36" code 110 metal wheels be a good choice to run on my code 100 Peco track?
I have be trying to research the answers, but, I'm having difficulty finding specific answers.

Anyway, I'm going to start fiddling with a couple of cars today, as it's way to cold to dance. I'll worry about wheels and couplers later.

All have a great day!
Guy

Actually, I have a couple of questions. The kits do not supply couplers. If I purchase those Kadee 148 couplers, is that a good choice?
Also, I would like to replace the plastic wheels supplied with metal. Would the Rapido 36" code 110 metal wheels be a good choice to run on my code 100 Peco track?
I have be trying to research the answers, but, I'm having difficulty finding specific answers.

Guy

Guy,
Thanks for the compliments on the hopper. Speaking of hoppers, that snowshoe would make a great pot of Hassenpfeffer! 😋
As far as your questions, yes, the K-D 148 would be my 1st choice. I've never tried the Rapido wheel sets, my go-to wheels for freight cars are the KD #520 33" wheel sets. As a general rule, 36" wheels are usually used on passenger equipment, 33" on freight. There are exceptions (such as 28" on spine cars) , like I said, general rule.
Have fun with the kits, keep us posted!

Willie- thank you for sharing your photos for the work you put into your layout, especially the kitbashed structures.
Flo- egg skillet w/ bacon n chez, raisin toast & a tgom, if you please.
McLeod- stay warm up there in ISZ. We’re warming up here in the Badger State & don’t need any of the c or s words til fall, paty.
That's what you need in times like these, innovation. Thinking outside the box?
I’ve seen videos of wimmin making COVID masks from OTSBHs.
Spreading of COVID19, we’re only seeing a handful of cases in the surrounding counties. Down south, especially by Milwaukee, Madison & La Crosse, much worse. The primary reason for the SAFER At Home protocals inacted by Gov Evers. Our call centers are scaled back to a skeleton crew, as the company has transitioned most of the reps to work at home, even providing computers for those without or that don’t have Windows 10. I like being able to “go to work” in pjs or tshirt & sweatpants. I think I’ve worn shoes maybe twice this week. Only leaving to go for a drive with MOH, to get me out of the apartment.

As far as your questions, yes, the K-D 148 would be my 1st choice. I've never tried the Rapido wheel sets, my go-to wheels for freight cars are the KD #520 33" wheel sets. As a general rule, 36" wheels are usually used on passenger equipment, 33" on freight. There are exceptions (such as 28" on spine cars) , like I said, general rule.
Thankyou, Karl! That is exactly the type of information I was hoping to get!
And I will take lots of photos of the build to share. There are no secrets in my modelling adventures.

Would the Rapido 36" code 110 metal wheels be a good choice to run on my code 100 Peco track?
Guy - 36" wheels would not be appropriate for the era of those freight car. Use 33". For the most part 36" wheels were only used for passenger equipment at the time. Eventually after 1980 or so they began to be used on higher capacity freight cars, 100 ton and above, beginning with covered hoppers and tankers. It actually had more to do with the size of the wheel bearing for cars of that capacity.

Good Morning gang!
Another day in isolation and I fear I'm going to venture out in the world today. SWMBO wants to wash the cars, but the outside faucet leaks like the dickens when you turn the water on. Its a "frost proof" type and I think the vacuum valve on top has gone kaput. I guess I will be going to HD later.
In the mean time, its a glorious sunny day, might as well enjoy it!

Good morning .

Karl .... The way I heard that joke is covered hopper is a rabbit wearing a hat. Anyhow, I like your hopper with hatches that open.

Guy .... It looks like you have fun kits to assemble.

Willie .... Your building is outstanding.

Alan .... Fantastic looking SP TOFC trailers.

Paul .... That's a nice photo of a real SP tractor / trailer.

Speaking of TOFC tractor / trailers , here are two I made and painted. Both have Ulriach trailers. Burlington tractor is Ulrich Mack with frame I shortened. Great Northern tractor was a resin kit I made.

35941311194_5d26c2d41f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning. 22 degrees to start off the day with a high expected in the low 40's.

Beady - I'm not into wearing a mask yet, but then I don't venture away from home.

91908174_10160807377531959_4347123016610611200_n.jpg

I've still been watching railroad videos and came across this one, PENN CENTRAL 1974- MOVIE USED TO GET FEDERAL FUNDING. Don't know why it started near the end. Put it back to the beginning.

I had no idea that they were in such bad shape. Sort of reminds me of the Milwaukee Road before they shut down operations. I will plead ignorance. What railroad is now running over the old ConRail tracks, CSX??.

Alan - One of the guys at the club got carried away and I think he bought one of each car that was offered. kjd, nice photo.

Karl - Nice looking hopper. Now a little weathering to match the wheels will be icing on the cake.

Ray - Good video.

Willie - Nice build. I do believe that a little stripwood bracing will add more details.

Guy - We have a couple of rabbits that we set food out for in the winter. here's one of them.

thumbnail_20190312_090523.jpg

Joe - Like the photo of that GG-1. Sweet.

Garry - You sure can come up with great photos, another winner.

Terry - How's it working out ?????

Back to the railroad videos.

Later

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone.....again over cast and cool.

Heading down to the layout just after lunch to re-wire the Dwf signals. I some how like incandescent lamps over the LED's even with the the LED's advantage of a long life. My incandescent signal, either the dwf or high standard two lamp signals are from NJ International and are maybe 20+ years old. I can't find them any longer and would add some more on the layout and them the expansion area. Does anyone know how to change a LED on Tomar signal?

I like to run the incandescent lighting at <10 volts to prolong the lamp life. And, at that low voltage, see can see the lamps filaments. I have operating signals on all but one of the almost 30 Tortoise switch machines and all are LED's from Tomar. I also have operating signals that change from Green to Red as a train passes and then changes to Yellow for 10 seconds and then back to Green. I believe the hardware is from Rail Logic and I get realistic signal operation without a lot of work.

A lot of people don't know that are modern traffic signals for our roadways were based on the signals used by the railroads.

Off to check E Bay for the NJ signals from the past.

Later everyone....

Greg

##############################

Last edited:
These are the first kits I have ever purchased of rail cars; a new experience.
Guy- One thing to be careful of is removing the plastic parts from the sprue. Do not twist off but use nippers or a hobby knife to remove..
Use 33" wheels, brand is not vital now. Check what the kit supplier has in stock.
Willie- Look at the bright side of the fit difficulties you have with this building. You are kit bashing to create another unique, one-of -a- kind structure for your layout. Keep up the pictures of your progress, you are doing a great job.

I have been going through storage containers and boxes trying to organize and consolidate various supplies, kits and scenery materials. Yesterday, I spent about 6 hours consolidating scenery material and detail parts. It is amazing how many times I have purchased HO rail couplers over the years.

Among the items packed in a scenery box was an DRESSEL caboose kerosene wall lantern given to me a few months before we moved. I cleaned up the metal parts and wiped the fingerprints off the glass chimney. I mounted it on the wall in my train room as shown below.

Attachments

• caboose lamp (4) - Copy.JPG
    caboose lamp (4) - Copy.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 137
Good afternoon everyone. 61 and cloudy.

Texas Hobo, Tom, Chessie, NYC George, Wheeler, PAtrick, Garry, Chad, Sherrel, IronBelt Ken, Willie, Guy, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my train station photo post yesterday.

Here a new photo of one of my farm on the layout.

Farm2.jpg

gotta run. have a good day everyone.

There has been a train accident in Germany (near the Swiss border). A BLS (private Swiss rail company) cargo train hit a piece of an under-construction bridge and derailed. Driver is dead. The train is a so-called "rolling highway" train where fully loaded trucks are entrained and their drivers are in an accompanying passenger wagon. There were 10 truck drivers along for the ride -- 1 was badly injured, 2 had injuries, and 7 were more or less OK.

Link has pics and shows what happens when locomotives and concrete bridges are in the same lane.

(For those who speak German, the embedded video is a Swiss news broadcaster talking about the accident in Swiss German -- highly interesting to listen to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back