Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon everyone. I found my way back in despite the changing of the lock. I'll have a scotch and water ....... it's 5 O'clock somewhere. I hope everyone is staying safe and limiting their exposure. We have finally got the order and deliver on-line working, and so far have gotten most of our order, even TP. I'm still working a little on my layout and most of my time on a family tree project I have put off for way to long. Telling the family story, as I know it, getting the photos scanned and organized along with a bunch of documents, is quite and undertaking. From 1765 to today, nearly 600 individuals, but it should be worth it when completed. Thanks to all for the likes.
Prayers for those fighting CV-19, and those laid off or worse losing their jobs. We will get through this!

What should have been a two scale feet by two and a half scale feet, I made two and a half scale feet square.
Willie- I had a similar problem and used some aluminum foil to make flashing around a chimney. Try not to be too sloppy with the "tar:.

Went back up to the lake and worked on the N scale layout. I took all the trees and most of the brush off the layout and scraped most of the ground cover off except in a few places that will not be changed. I'll modify several places so I can put more buildings on there and check the size of the roads.
Here is a before pic with the trees and an after pic with piles of ground cover to be trashed. I thought about burning the brush but decided it might effect air quality. I need to take my shop vac on my next trip.

Attachments

• N 4-1-20 b4.jpg
    N 4-1-20 b4.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 146
  • N 4-1-20 after.jpg
    N 4-1-20 after.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
10,000+ cases and 417 deaths. Now they're saying we should wear masks even if we're not sick. My wife is going to get all our masks since she's the one with no immune system. I can make masks for myself out of the oversize bandanas from my cowboy wardrobe.

FB_IMG_1585697052136.jpg
FB_IMG_1585507780698.jpg
FB_IMG_1585414378305.jpg
FB_IMG_1585504198534.jpg
FB_IMG_1585355621083.jpg

Good evening y'all. Haven't posted much since the new place was opened. Still very breezy, Went up to 58 today, but felt much colder with the breeze from the NE. Since late this afternoon it's been quite windy. Should have cut the grass, but to me it's still winter.

We have our own masks the wife made, plus a few 3M, N95s I keep on hand when I'm painting using the paint booth. Wee also, (somehow), have sufficient vinyl examination gloves to ride this situation out. We are going for groceries tomorrow morning. I'ts supposed to rain, so...hopefully there won't be a multitude lined up.

I'm running DCC, while I continue to work on different aspects of the layout. DCC has it's own issues, but I have more flexibility in running trains.

I quickly went through the pages since I last posted. Willie:, that outside stairway is awkward. perhaps some of thr rafters in the vicinity of where the stair is supposed to go should be removed to improve the fit? or possibly a course of siding needs to be removed from the bottom. ? Karl: like your Mantua remakes, and Beady, some interesting commentary . Sherrel, it ain't the end of the world. Calm down fella.:rolleyes:

PRR PC GG1_Eng 917.jpg

Amtrak 917, still painted PC, on the Motor track, in Harrisburg, PA station. Steam heating plant is in the background.

Hi gang!
I finally got the E&B Valley hopper kit done!!!
20200402_181552.jpg
20200402_181559.jpg
20200402_181616.jpg

Here it is with some of the hatches open. The problem with leaving them that way is that the hinge pins fall out easily, with any vibration so then the hatch cover falls off. Neat idea, could have been done better. So I will glue them shut before renumbering and weathering the car. Still working on the wood boxcar kit, Elmers dries soooo slow!
Maybe tomorrow I'll get more done.

Another stay at home project: Years ago I bought this Athearn TOFC flat. It's toyish and I couldn't run it with some of my other rolling stock, but it does serve a purpose in a short freight. A good project when you don't want to get too involved with something, say like the SPHTS Red Caboose TOFC flat car kits I'm building. Beautiful models but they put the T in Tedious! This can't be seen in the same train with those, but I'll find a place for it. Painted the trucks, replaced the wheels with Intermountains, and a resistor wheelset so it's club compliant, got rid of the crappy plastic couplers and substituted Kadee short shank whisker types with glad hands removed, shot it with some Dullcote, and removed the front axle from the trailers. No trailer that short would be a dualie, at least none that I know of. Weathering later. Maybe an hour's work.
Athearn Pig Flat.JPG

Another stay at home project: Years ago I bought this Athearn TOFC flat. It's toyish and I couldn't run it with some of my other rolling stock, but it does serve a purpose in a short freight. A good project when you don't want to get too involved with something, say like the SPHTS Red Caboose TOFC flat car kits I'm building. Beautiful models but they put the T in Tedious! This can't be seen in the same train with those, but I'll find a place for it. Painted the trucks, replaced the wheels with Intermountains, and a resistor wheelset so it's club compliant, got rid of the crappy plastic couplers and substituted Kadee short shank whisker types with glad hands removed, shot it with some Dullcote, and removed the front axle from the trailers. No trailer that short would be a dualie, at least none that I know of. Weathering later. Maybe an hour's work.
View attachment 45938
Alan, you could run them, or at least photograph them together. The Ridiculous and the Sublime.

View attachment 45938

I found this and it is similar to your model, from this page: https://wjhudson.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/southern-pacific-steam-boxset/

trk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back