Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon guys, I took yesterday off, we drove up north to our land and otherwise had a busy time...

Willie-- Your fertilizer company bldg looks great

Truckdad-- nice to hear from you

Karl-- I like desmond

Mark-- astute observation about cat ear hair

Jerome-- I like Frankie too

Chet-- very nice train show photos

Here is my layout shot, getting loaded at the gravel bin:

Loco is a GP 18
_MG_5579.jpg

Jerome, Desmond-- meet Woody:

unnamed.jpg

more later, Dave

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then continued doing Pennsy truck research. I even looked at Shapeways but without luck. I guess I will have to go with a generic Pennsy freight truck that Kadee sells.

Karl- Congrats on the new addition.

Tom- Nice layout shot.

Mark- Yes, that is very unfair!

Wheeler- Your cat looks very comfortable.

Willie- The fertilizer supply is a nice addition.

Justin- Nice layout shot.

Chet- Great club photos.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ....

Nice to meet cats.... Desmond, Frankie, and Woody...... We have three cats.

Tom ..... Your loco servicing area looks great.

Chet ..... The club layout looks fabulous with your locomotives.

Sherrel ..... The Frisco 4-6-2 is beautiful ..

Dave ... Nice photo of the GP18.

Justin ..... The book looks ike it could be interesting. Your coal mine looks great. I am actually working on a coal mine too. It will resent coal mines in southern Illinois serve by CB&Q.

CB&Q used mostly SD7's to haul coal originating in southern Illinois spring the 1950's and 1960's. Destinations included Chicago, other cities in northern Illinois, and locations in Wisconsin and in Minnesota.

47713655731_c89def6eea_z.jpg

Before SD7's, 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's were commonly used to haul the coal. Below is a 2-10-4.

35983862584_85175a615d.jpg

Dave LASM Thanks.

I put the Daylight on the mainline this afternoon and for an old loco it runs like new. The B unit is a dummy. Someday I'll get a 4449 as I have a special connection to it. Not much to see here since the tornado came thru and blew all the trees and dirt away...……..
Dave in PV
IMG_3956.JPG

Dave LASM Thanks.

I put the Daylight on the mainline this afternoon and for an old loco it runs like new. The B unit is a dummy. Someday I'll get a 4449 as I have a special connection to it. Not much to see here since the tornado came thru and blew all the trees and dirt away...……..
Dave in PV
View attachment 36338

OH - I hav 2 remember about the tornado - that's good!
A PA would look good with those too?
That's what I grew up seeing on the Cotton Belt.

As promised fellers. Prototype photos! Some of y'all if not all should recognize the loader in the first two photos. It's the prototype to the Walthers New River Mine kit.
IMG_20190428_201843043.jpg

IMG_20190428_201854434.jpg

And a shot of my workhorse still in C&O paint. This is C&O GP35 3535. Of course my workhorse is in Chessie paint.
6144164061_05ef6c3248_b.jpg

Last one. An early CSX pic.
co4385.jpg

Also thanks to everyone who commented on my layout photos. I unfortunately didn't get to work on the layout this weekend. I had hoped to test fit some track to open the door for two train operations or at least make my layout a twice around deal. I'm rather conflicted on the idea. One hand I am content on what I have. The other I see an idea to add to my existing track plan that would add a little bit more for operations sake. That's all I have for now. Hope everyone has a good night.

Evening,some N scale and O scale shots from the show.
Willie - The transfer table is on the back side of the engine repair.
Sherrel - The YN2 paint is the Dash 8 and the other three ar ES44's
Chet,Curt,and Garry -Thanks a lot of work has gone into not only building the modules but keeping them up.All of us in the club take pride in keeping their modules looking good for the shows.

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 257
CHET/GREG, and others .... My friend, Keith Robinson over at "Frisco.org" just posted this .....
"I submitted an article to Railroad Model Craftsman reviewing the Azatrax Grade Grossing Signal Controller. It was published in the April 2019 issue.
An excellent product, easy to install and configure and very well conceived."

I thought it may be of use to you on your crossing signal installation?

TOM ... appreciate the help sincerely, but anything this side of a SD40-2 just is outside of my wheelhouse

So, I've been active in this hobby for 31 years now, with time off on occasions for a couple other pursuits. In all this time, I had never heard of the Cowcatcher Magazine! Who here has heard of it and who here is a subscriber and what can you tell us about this Model Railroading Magazine? I guess it has been in existence for 16 years.

So, I've been active in this hobby for 31 years now, with time off on occasions for a couple other pursuits. In all this time, I had never heard of the Cowcatcher Magazine! Who here has heard of it and who here is a subscriber and what can you tell us about this Model Railroading Magazine? I guess it has been in existence for 16 years.
Complimentary copies are/have been available in the model RR stores around here for years. I didn't realize that they had been around for that long. They're focused mainly on activities in the southwest it seems. They contain mostly short articles devoted to current rail activities. I never subscribed, but used to pick up a copy when my LHS was still in business. Select articles are online at Cowcatcher Magazine.

Willy said:
Johnny
- Yes it is nice to have that much space, but it is taking a while to add scenery to it all. Besides this peninsula that I am currently working on, I have four 2' x 16' areas left to go, as well as numerous smaller parcels. While I could have built a bigger train shed, I carefully considered how much I could maintain as time goes by. I have seen huge layouts that the owner never had the time to add scenery to, even though they wanted to. One gentleman who I regularly saw on layout tours had nearly 1000 sq ft, and a closet with hundreds of structure kits and thousands of freight cars. He never got past the plywood stage and died about twenty years after I first saw his layout. Unfortunately I didn't know about the estate sale until it was too late.
You are doing a remarkable job with yours.

Willy - Thanks for the compliment and encouragement. It's true - as I look toward retirement, I would need to consider just how much layout space I would be able to / willing to keep up. I guess it's a toss-up between "hobby job security for the next 25 years" and "how much estate sale stuff do I leave my wife and kids."

Good morning everyone. 56 and cloudy / rainy.

Celebrated son's 40th birthday over the weekend. Big party, about 40 people came, lots of Mexican food, and the requisite cake and ice cream, iced tea, lemonade. Continued putting in some lighting on the layout. A lot of jury-rigged wiring for now until I get the right selector switches and a dimmer switch.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 64°, mostly cloudy and breezy. Forecasters are still calling for thunderstorms for the next nine days in the long range forecast. Maybe longer but that's as far as the forecast goes. Temperatures between 65° and 82° for the whole time.

Thanks Justin, Jim, Dave (truckdad), Phil, Sherrel, Jerome, and Tom for the likes for yesterday's posting. Thanks also to Chet, Sherrel, Dave (LASM), and Curt for the comments. All are appreciated.

Made some more progress on the peninsula scene yesterday, ballasted a switch and spread ground foam. Began painting the road, a simple one that's just concrete colored paint on the plywood base. The three structures on the RH side are in and the one on the LH side looks to be a keeper. There's still a lot of blank space that will simply get a coat of brown paint, as I don't have any other suitable structures, either rail-served or not, on the shelf or already assembled. I have some laser-cut wood ones but they don't fit the theme of this area. I thought about a piggyback ramp, but the geometry just doesn't work out either. No progress pictures today since I had to stop and grill pork chops for supper.
Here's a couple of random shots of structures in unfinished areas.
05-20-18 020.JPG
05-02-18 003.JPG

Pizzaland is another Blair Line laser-cut kit, and Stan's is so old that I don't remember who the manufacturer was. I may have even kit-bashed it since the front part looks like a Smalltown structure. Now that I look at it, I may move it over to the industrial park and put something else where it currently stands.

Chet -
Willie - you sure don't waste any time getting to work on the layout.
If I have the time to devote to it, I can get a lot done. I had a couple of rainy days which curtailed outdoor activity. Additionally, I already had all of these structures built and waiting, and some of the track was already painted. I also like ballasting, and I can move rapidly along when doing that.
It's good to read that the show went well, as it shows interest from the public. Pictures looked really nice.
Sherrel - Good news regarding your daughter. Bearings were swimming in grease, so I don't know exactly why there was a problem. I suspect that I may not have had enough spacer washers on the end of the axle to prevent lateral movement.
Tom - Your clubs modules look excellent. You guys set a high standard and really should be proud of your work. Not sure which scene is my favorite.
Dave in PV - The upside of un-retiring for a short time is the extra $$$ to spend on the layout.
Johnny - Regarding layout size; I wouldn't want a layout so large that I spent eight hours a day working on, because it would then become another job instead of a hobby!:eek:
Justin - Don't fret about not working on the layout. You can run trains and imagine the rest. While "Dad" duties won't disappear, they will subside a bit soon.

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning, 44 and cloudy. Felt pretty sleepy this morning when the alarm went off, however got to work on time and don't feel too bad now.

Terry-- That's a lot of toys!

Truckdad-- thanks for posting the layout shot

Justin-- more nice coal shots

Tom-- interesting scenes at the show

Willie-- The AC unit on pizzaland is a clever touch

Garry-- I like the steam engine with the coal drag on the bottom

Here is today's layout shot, another view of sunday's GP-18:

_MG_5598.jpg

gravel operation in the background

more later, Dave

Greetings from the West! 57 and cloudy - we had a sprinkle last evening - just enough to smear the dust on the windscreen.
Daughter made it home yesterday and says that most hurt has gone by the wayside. Thanks for all the well-wishes from all.

Nothing important today, will check on the Newsed car at the shop, try and finish the Turtle house, and do a little more on re-arranging the garage -- It is looking better.
Here's a nice looking loco:
1556546336919.png

Complimentary copies are/have been available in the model RR stores around here for years. I didn't realize that they had been around for that long. They're focused mainly on activities in the southwest it seems. They contain mostly short articles devoted to current rail activities. I never subscribed, but used to pick up a copy when my LHS was still in business. Select articles are online at Cowcatcher Magazine.

I get into hobby shops on occasion and I have never seen this magazine offered! So, it's existence was unknown to me. Thanks Willie for the comeback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back