Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Shop Dwellers, 74*F and clear with a slight breeze in my central MD neighborhood. Much better than in the Southeast, especially near the coast! I realize it's been awhile since I posted here, mainly because of distractions and I didn't think I had anything useful to contribute to the current conversations.

One of those "distractions" is some new photo editing software (NOT PhotoShop) that has features that will help me create images of my layout that I'd be willing to post; I'm still putzing around trying to learn it. I also got my Canon Rebel EOS-T3 out of mothballs, and will use that [instead of the cell phone camera] to get these planned layout photos. I haven't done any panoramic shots since I rebuilt the layout [2010-2013] and really need to get some photos with B&O [not CSX] equipment in them.

My recovery from surgery is ~95% complete, other than I still have that teensy pinhole leak of blood. Oh well...no fever, no pain, no problem!

I got lured away while I was typing this message earlier, now it's past my bedtime...dang!

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Garry! :D

I got lured away while I was typing this message earlier, now it's past my bedtime...dang!

Oh, No! She didn't go to your place by mistake, did she?
1567566204042.png

I realize it's been awhile since I posted here, mainly because of distractions and I didn't think I had anything useful to contribute to the current conversations.

Ken,
it's good to hear you are recovering. That in and of itself is more than enough reason to contribute to the forum. I'm sure I speak for others when I say we are always glad to hear from you!

Good morning Everybody!

I took my grandson to school yesterday and got a very pleasant surprise! As always when I take him to school we arrived early. Normally, as we sit in the van, I give him my phone so that he can watch YouTube videos and I listen to NPR. Yesterday he surprised me and said "I found a video you would like poppy", he sure did! We watched this video as we waited to walk over to school.

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
1567589078103.png

Norfolk Southern confirms furloughs in Roanoke
By Jeff Sturgeon jeff.sturgeon@roanoke.com Roanoke Times

At least 230 Norfolk Southern railroaders were put out of work Sept. 3rd after being told they've been furloughed, media outlets in Altoona, Pa. and Roanoke, Va., reported.

Norfolk Southern media officials confirmed a statement published by WTAJ-TV, central Pennsylvania's CBS-affiliate, that says, in part: "In today’s rapidly changing environment, Norfolk Southern continues to focus on ensuring that we have the optimal number of people and assets at every location across our system in order to operate safely and efficiently. As we execute our new strategic plan, we expect that targeted hiring and furloughing will remain components of our operating model."

Altoona's NS workforce of about 750 is set to be cut by 100 people, while 130 will be let go in Roanoke's NS facilities--83 workers at Shaffer’s Crossing and 47 to 50 at the East End Shops. Television outlets in both cities reported that the cities had experienced previous job cuts this spring.
https://www.roanoke.com/…/article_ad3eaa1c-7e8a-5fa2-9628-5…

Baseball In Pics
Ty Cobb steals third base against St Louis Browns, Sportsman Park, St Louis, MO, October 2, 1908.
1567592555355.png

Ty Cobb played long before my time, but the man who taught me the game told me lots of stories about him. Ty Cobb was not a likable man for most or even a decent person by many accounts, but nobody could question his effort, commitment and desire to win!

Good morning everyone. 70 and mostly sunny. Nice weather expected for next several days.

Willie, Chet, Sherrel, Chessie, Chad, Patrick, Cambria, Louis, Dave, Flip, Toot, and anyone I may have missed - thank you all for the likes and comments on my post yesterday (the track crew scene and the barn building).
Toot - Growing up on Long Island, New York our seasons were really well-defined, and I liked that. Where we live now, not so well-defined; usually not much of a spring or too short an autumn.

Got home kind of late yesterday. Had to stop and get a haircut, then pick up some groceries. So not much time for the fun stuff. Did work briefly in the woodworking shop, just getting things ready for the next craft show - got to have enough items to attract buyers and make it worth while. Didn't run any trains, but did get a few small things done on the barn building, mostly paint touch-up and gluing a few small detail items on. Not enough to post a photo of. Any of you who have done this Walthers Old Barn - man, that forge is murder to put together.

So here's a photo from the layout for today: The Pine Valley Firehouse. Bought this over a year ago, at a train show, I think, and fixed it up. I put a lot of details inside the firehouse, and have lighting in there, but didn't have the lights on for this photo. I'll reshoot some day so you can see the details inside. The firetruck is from Chet (thank you, Chet). Still want to get another one some day, so the town has enough equipment to respond even to small (1:87) fires :rolleyes:. By the way, behind the fire chief's van you'll see a newspaper delivery boy on the ground. No, he's not dead - not even 1:87 dead. Not even a scrape on him ;). I just put him down there and forgot he was there when I took the photo. You know, the print on those 1:87 papers is hard to read. Okay enough HO scale jokes!

Firehouse_8_25_2019.jpg

Got our local fall train show this Saturday. Can't wait to see what bargains I can find.
Right now, time for more coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone. 70 and mostly sunny. Nice weather expected for next several days.

Willie, Chet, Sherrel, Chessie, Chad, Patrick, Cambria, Louis, Dave, Flip, Toot, and anyone I may have missed - thank you all for the likes and comments on my post yesterday (the track crew scene and the barn building).
Toot - Growing up on Long Island, New York our seasons were really well-defined, and I liked that. Where we live now, not so well-defined; usually not much of a spring or too short an autumn.

Got home kind of late yesterday. Had to stop and get a haircut, then pick up some groceries. So not much time for the fun stuff. Did work briefly in the woodworking shop, just getting things ready for the next craft show - got to have enough items to attract buyers and make it worth while. Didn't run any trains, but did get a few small things done on the barn building, mostly paint touch-up and gluing a few small detail items on. Not enough to post a photo of. Any of you who have done this Walthers Old Barn - man, that forge is murder to put together.

So here's a photo from the layout for today: The Pine Valley Firehouse. Bought this over a year ago, at a train show, I think, and fixed it up. I put a lot of details inside the firehouse, and have lighting in there, but didn't have the lights on for this photo. I'll reshoot some day so you can see the details inside. The firetruck is from Chet (thank you, Chet). Still want to get another one some day, so the town has enough equipment to respond even to small (1:87) fires :rolleyes:. By the way, behind the fire chief's van you'll see a newspaper delivery boy on the ground. No, he's not dead - not even 1:87 dead. Not even a scrape on him ;). I just put him down there and forgot he was there when I took the photo. You know, the print on those 1:87 papers is hard to read. Okay enough HO scale jokes!

View attachment 39171
Got our local fall train show this Saturday. Can't wait to see what bargains I can find.
Right now, time for more coffee. Have a good day everyone.
Was the paper boy just not looking where he was going? All the red dazzled him.

Almost forgot - - My cousin (retired Air Force) sent me this. Talk about someone who has it tough! But his attitude is great! This is amazing - please take time to watch.
(Sorry to just post the youtube link - I haven't done this enough to have learned how to post the actual youtube screen so you just hit the play arrow - someone explain that to me, please).

Good Morning All. 73° and clear here.
I'll take the old standby sausage, egg and cheese biscuit this morning Francine.
Changing my upcoming schedule a bit today. My wife cancelled her therapy session for today, so I am going to make a run to my LHS, Discount Model Railroads, located 55 miles away in Addison TX. Was going to go this Saturday but the opportunity to go early was too good to pass up. I have a lengthy shopping list, nothing major, mostly Evergreen styrene shapes, DPM walls, detail parts, vehicles and paints. As a discounter, 20% off msrp, they are less expensive than most things on Amazon and I believe in supporting the local "brick and mortar" store where I can handle stuff before purchasing.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Patrick, Chad, Justin, Dave, Sherrel, Chet, Louis, Tom, Phil. Always appreciated.

Did almost nothing in the train shed yesterday except read the newest issue of MRR and Trains magazines. Worked on my shopping list, now I just have to remember to take it with me!
Since I have no progress pictures, I will post a couple of the Walther's Dairy Queen, old version, that I think that I will be using in the foreground of the current scene with the industrial buildings on the other side of the tracks.
09-04-16 010.JPG

09-04-16 011.JPG

This dates back to before they added drive thrus to all of their locations. A bit dated for my era, but I liked the structure.

Johnny - I like that mini-scene of the track workers.
Patrick - I usually get 10+ years from my vinyl pool liner. However I leave the water in it during the winter and cover it up. I also lower the water level below the plastic skimmer to prevent issues with freezing in it. Taking the liner out and folding it leads to early deterioration, from what I have heard and read. On the other hand, only three usages a summer isn't really worth it. We use our pool daily from late May until mid to late September, sometimes even early October.
Mikey - I also make my sweet potato salad by boiling the potatoes, but have read recipes where they cube the sweet potatoes and then roast them in the oven until soft, thus giving them a somewhat charred taste. I intend to try it sometime.
The mortar wash is a mix of about one part white paint, ten parts water, fifteen parts isopropyl alcohol and a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing soap. It could vary a bit since I don't measure exactly; I think the wash I am using now has slightly more paint. I also sometimes use Polly S concrete paint instead of white so my structures vary a bit.
William - Good to see your post. Don't be such a stranger.
Ken - Looking forward to the new pictures. Good to read of your continued recovery. Good luck with the last 5%.
Ray - With a sugar-babe like Beady's, you wouldn't be able to see the mirror anyway!:eek:

OK Johnny. Today is National Newspaper Carrier Day, better help that boy up soon!
Everybody have a great day,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back