Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Everybody!

It's 69 with 81% humidity under partly cloudy skies here in southeast Baltimore. The weather this past week has been, interesting. From lows in the upper 50's to highs in the mid-90s. Everyday this week the high exceeded the forecast. Summer refuses to let go!

Yesterday traffic was as bad as it can get in the Baltimore-Washington corridor. I think many of the 8.5+million people in the area were on the roads. I started work at 2:15pm, traffic was already jamed and it was still bumper to bumper at almost 7pm. I worked a second block because after I finished my first the roads were nearly at a standstill. The GPS said it was more than an hour to get home, Amazon was only 18 minutes away. If I'm going to be sitting in the van I might as well be getting paid for it! The good news was I delivered less than 40 packages in under 2 hours and got paid 6.5 hours for it, the bad news, I spent over 2 hours in heavy traffic on the roads!

With the exception of the Baltimore Washington Parkway the roads are wide enough to accommodate the heavy traffic with only minor slowing. The problem is the aggressive drivers who will risk their lives and ours changing lanes to move up one car length. The accidents are what jam up the roads. My GPS shows each accident, but they were too many to count!

On the Brightside, the customers I delivered to that I got to see and or speak to were very nice and I was able to deliver all of my packages.

That reminds me, earlier in the week I delivered to Towson University(TU). It was after hours and the central mail room was closed. I could have returned all 14 packages to Amazon, but I don't like to do that. I ended up working 4 hours and only got paid for 3.5 hours, that is very unusual.

Like I always say; "everyday is a good day, some are just better than others."

I called each customer at TU and was able to deliver 10 of the 14. Of the 14 customers 10 were young ladies. Of the 10 young ladies I was able to deliver 9 of them. The young men were idiots! They either did not trust me on the phone or just hung up on me. "Hi this is Louis with Amazon, I have a package for you", CLICK! I had no regrets about returning their packages. The one young lady I was unable to deliver to did not answer the phone and her voice mail was full, I felt bad about returning her package, but I had no choice.

I am now very familiar with the Towson University Campus. I drove and walked all over it meeting the customers at their dorms to give them their packages. It was very time consuming, but well worth the effort. The very appreciative and friendly young ladies with pretty smiling faces was more than enough reward. The lone young man was nervous, to say the least.

Have a great day Everybody!

Garry, you should see some of the houseboats on the Chesapeake, lots of unusual boats, but that was the only one I ever saw made from brick! ;)

I like that black paint scheme of the Penn Central, but it looks much better when it's clean and shinning.

Chet, that must have been very interesting to see European rail museums. They do things a bit different than we do.

Willie, you were right, I did enjoy the Lionel layout and I really liked the ships!

Carl Venzke‎ - Railroad Images of Bygone Days
A pair of Delaware & Hudson's PA's depart northbound from Saratoga Springs, New York with the "Laurentian" en route to Montreal during the 1970s. Carl Sturner photo
1569667158695.png

Gary Wiles - ‎Steam Locomotive Photographs
A different use for locomotives. Date: 01/01/1906
Source: The U.S. National Archives - Link: https://catalog.archives.gov/
View attachment 39856
Would be a bit like riding a teeter-totter (See-Saw to us). Wonder if the "steering wheel" actually pivoted the tracks on a central pin, or operated brakes as most seem to. And why, the apparent tracks within tracks. Is that the Ezekiel principle?

Would be a bit like riding a teeter-totter (See-Saw to us). Wonder if the "steering wheel" actually pivoted the tracks on a central pin, or operated brakes as most seem to. And why, the apparent tracks within tracks. Is that the Ezekiel principle?
I can't answer the steering question, but I've seen the dual-track system on older bulldozers and similar equipment. The inner track is powered, and drives the outer track.

Good Morning All. 76° and partly cloudy here in beautiful North Central Texas.Cat is still here, plants on the back porch were all watered, looks like the neighbor's 17 year old daughter did her requested duties while we were gone. I'll hand her a twenty later this weekend, even though I know that she'll spend it on cigarettes.
Hello Flo, make it hash-browns, scrambled eggs and sausage patties this morning please.
My delivery from ScaleTrains (two Dash9-44CW's) has gone awry, UPS claims that they couldn't find my house and took it to the local post office. It's not like they haven't found us at least 150 times in the last two years...hopefully the post office delivers today (if it fits in the box over a mile away), so I don't have to wait until Monday to go to town and pick it up. I feel like it's a driver that wanted to go home early and not fool around out here in the country on Friday afternoon.:mad:

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the museum pictures over the last week; Chet, Sherrel, Tom, Clint, Chad, Mikey, Louis, Jerome, Patrick, Ray, Justin, Rick, Johnny, Dave, Garry, Z, and also to anyone that I may have missed. It was a fun trip and visiting all of those model railroad museums and displays made it all the more worth while.

Here are a couple of pictures of the N scale layout at the Old Depot Museum in Vicksburg.
09-27-19 trip 171.JPG

09-27-19 trip 172.JPG

I was actually touching the glass while taking the second shot. Bad!
One very good display there is a giant diorama depicting the Siege of Vicksburg. It covers 250 sq ft and has over 2000 figures on it.
09-27-19 trip 181.JPG

09-27-19 trip 182.JPG

09-27-19 trip 183.JPG

09-27-19 trip 184.JPG

09-27-19 trip 186.JPG

09-27-19 trip 187.JPG

09-27-19 trip 188.JPG

These pictures don't even begin to do justice to the diorama.

Clint - Nice series of videos.

Gotta go for now. I need to finish unloading the car, do some more laundry and go grocery shopping.
Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back