Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just passing by. Well maybe a malted would be OK.
2020.jpg

Greetings all, just coffee this morning, Flo. Here's hoping Willie gets another shower and those of you who got to meet Zeta get through your clean up cycles unharmed.

My hobby time yesterday was comprised of making this workbench from my old gaming table. Seven-foot, nine-inches of clutter collecting space.

workbench.jpg

No clue what today will bring. I need to move the power strip that's hiding under the shelf, behind the paint racks down below the workbench.

Don't forget - if you're in the USA - to set your clocks back Saturday night or Sunday morning. Because an EXTRA HOUR of 2020 is just what everyone needs. Blah.

New book comes out tomorrow, so I'll be refreshing my Amazon sales page and see if I can break top 100 in any of the small categories I list it in. Probably not, from past experience, but gives me something to do.

Good morning, I hope all are doing well! Looks like ol man winter has got a pretty good start in the upper portion of the states, and a lack of firewood continues in the lower portion......;)

The rails are set in concrete
Rich, the two articles are interesting, thanks for posting. Looks like the track side of "precision railroading" in Europe.

My railroad pic for today is this livestock/vehicle deterrent on the Modoc line. This is the only place I have ever seen one of these. There is not one on the other side of the crossing , apparently this side only experienced trouble with animals/people.
Anybody else ever see one of these?

IMG_20200410_142421519.jpg

EVERBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Good morning from Wisconsin, it is cold now and only a high of 40 later.

Day2 of online usage reduction. It wasn’t too bad until about 8 last night. But I survived. My wife is a news junkie and I am trying to get away from the news but I can’t hear anything in the trainroom so that where my time was spent yesterday.

Back to the 60’s. Not happening here. 1968 stupid 15 year old me in Chicago’s Grant Park checking out the demonstrations gets clobbered by a nightstick because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had to think back to that time this summer. I wanted to go see the devastation that the Madison riots caused to State Street in our capital. Terry said no F ing way. I had to agree a really stupid idea. Especially since they did it again that night.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Morning, everyone! Isn't it 'Devils' night tonight, the night the young people toilet-paper your trees if they don't like you. They never do my trees, but get the a-hole across the street every year. I've told him before, that he should quit drinking and try to be nice; maybe he'd have some friends.
30°F where I'm at, but, not near cold enough to keep the youngsters home tonight.

Guy - Did I miss something regarding the cast on your wife's leg? Best wishes for her recovery.

You didn't miss anything, Willie, I just haven't mentioned it. The wife has had issue's with her ankle since she sprained it in the spring. The type of work she does complicated healing, so the Doc decided to cast her up and order her off work for 3 weeks. Give the ankle time to loose the 'water' and heal properly. She has good benefits that will pay her short term disability for that time.

Greg - No spearfishing allowed here. We have to try and outsmart them with a tiny hook. - There must be no hunting allowed where that Elk was seen; that's the only reason they make themselves visible.

GUY -- love the bridge! Keep trying to get a pic with the loco about 1/4 coming out?

I finally got a photo of the bridge with engines, Sherrel. Sadly, the engines were going in; not coming out. One would notice, as the engine lights arn't on in the rear:
CN 5242_10-29-2020 (2).jpg

I'm going to have to keep trying. I want 'That' photo, with a freight coming off the bridge and the early morning sun behind me. Might be waiting until next spring to get that photo.

Troy - Nice work bench. There can never be enough building space in the hobby room.

Jerry - I like that cattle guard on the tracks. They are common on roads, but, I've never seen one on railway tracks before. That one is faulty; a cow can tip-toe around it on the left side there.

I leave you with one more October photo, a telephoto shot of 5242 away across the McLeod River. Caught her in an opening in the tree-line:
CN 5242_10-29-2020 (4).jpg

Have a good one!

I love the sound of chain saws in the morning.
We moved out of Florida in 2008 to avoid these things. They seem to be following us, even several hundred miles from the nearest ocen.

Sorry about that. You wont hear from my saw for the rest of the day. I just finished up cutting up the last tree from the driveway this morning. Still no power here and the alabama power website says "evaluating" when we pull up our address. I hope that all is well over your way.

Good morning, I hope all are doing well! Looks like ol man winter has got a pretty good start in the upper portion of the states, and a lack of firewood continues in the lower portion......;)

Rich, the two articles are interesting, thanks for posting. Looks like the track side of "precision railroading" in Europe.

My railroad pic for today is this livestock/vehicle deterrent on the Modoc line. This is the only place I have ever seen one of these. There is not one on the other side of the crossing , apparently this side only experienced trouble with animals/people.
Anybody else ever see one of these?

View attachment 120141

EVERBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

I saw my one and only cattle guard when leaving the Badlands National Park in South Dakota when on a motorcycle rip out west on our Gold Wing.

There should be fencing on either side of the guard and the guard aids in allowing a larger fenced in area that the railroad tracks run through and eliminate the need for additional fencing on both sides of the tracks. Cattle will not step on the metal crates with the sharp points.

Greg

Good Morning Everyone.....typical fall day here in Wisconsin.

Sort of slow start to my planned day. Cathy removed a aerator from a bathroom sink and then couldn't figure out how to fit the parts back into the facet. Simple job, but it needed immediate attention for her to continue her project. Then the chimney cleaner recommended some shingle work and an epoxy sealer around the machinery's flashing. They could do the sealer, but hitting a couple nailing into two shingles that were loose a major project!

Since my last MS update, my spell check is worst than ever. It will correct a word and then replace it with a word that didn't even show up on the list of suggestions. Last night I had to get out of bed at 11:30 PM to do updates since the computer wouldn't shut down.

Lost a friend to Covid up by the cabin. He was only 71 and a great guy. And, then when reading the Obits in the local newspaper found that another person we knew died at 94 and was active up until his death.

troyphoto: That hobby work bench is way too organized. Looks great!

Nice photo everyone. I like locomotive that have character and seen heavy service.

Going to plan a trip to Du Plainville, Wisconsin to rail-fan hopefully next week. When we went for ride in the country we passed along the CN tracks that parallel the Wisconsin Southern (WSOR) before the WSOR joins the CN mainline. There was a northbound CN and it looks like a south bound train holding on a siding next to the CN main. This was the site of a derailment when the crew of the WSOR didn't re-set the switch when it entered the CN main. A south bound CN jumped the rails when it hit the switch. This is near a spot called Ackerville, Wisconsin, not much there and its near Slinger, Wisconsin.

I almost got hit by a train when I was taking photos in this area and I was too close to the CN main standing on a road crossing to take the photos. An eye opener experience to feel the rush of the train going by at 50 miles an hour and the sound of the wheels on the rails from four feet away.

1604077619148.png

An old photo of Ackerville, Wisconsin copied from the internet.

gersitt: Never used the metal foil before, but I would think its like installing gold leaf on an object. Slow work, but should look great when you are finished.

I wonder when Wisconsin will go down to a complete shut down again with the virus numbers so alarming lately? I saw that at a funeral, the services will be broadcasted over the air to vehicle radios in the parking lot of the funeral home.

Maybe just maybe I get down to the railroad.

Later Model Railroaders.......................

Greg

Last edited:
Good morning. The snow has pretty well melted away as we've had temps in the mid 50's for the past few days. Will probably put the plow on the tractor this weekend. My cousin is hoping to be able to get back in his house tomorrow. Most of the damage was in their semi finished basement but the outdoor hydrant was on the outside wall of their kitchen. They were going to remodel it next summer but it is in progress now. The people working on the house ave really moved along quite quickly. They were able to get some stock cabinets that they liked and they were installed yesterday. The counter tops should be going in today and as soon as the new appliances arrive, hopefully today they'll be able to get back to normal. It was nice to spend a little more than an afternoon with he and his wife. They can only go bowling with us tonight if they sit up in the bar with the stupid restrictions that the local health department put in lace. They should know by late afternoon if they should head back home tomorrow.

Troy - Apparently you aren't doing much work on that bench, it's too clean.

Jerry - We have those cattle guards all over the state to keep cattle off of the highways. Once you get out into more rural areas of the state, almost every entrance and exit ramp on the interstate have them. Some parts of the state are what are called open range. Livestock have the right of way. If you hit a cow, you bought it.

McLeod - Like your proto photos. Keep them coming.

Joe - There's not much I can say about that GG-1 except that it really needs a bath. Love it.

Gary s - I tried something like that years ago and wasn't impressed, but it could have been the installers problem.

Guess I'll go into the archives and post some club photos today.

thumbnail_20190829_134007.jpg
thumbnail_20190822_144007.jpg

thumbnail_20190905_152622 (2).jpg
thumbnail_20200627_200933.jpg
thumbnail_20190829_143722.jpg
thumbnail_20190829_135416.jpg
thumbnail_20191005_202655.jpg
20180428_105526.jpg
20180428_111518.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Status