Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all,

Everyone's progress inspired me to get going this morning on some of the main street area structures. I hope that everyone is doing well!
20201027_155010.jpg

Thank you for the links!

The particular kit I'm working is at least 45 years old. It an old Alexander Scale Models kit that hopefully has better instructions in the new kits. There is just a huge sheet with illustrations and what to use where, but no "Cut a piece of 1/16" stock to 2 1/4" and place it at X". It's more of a illustration and then what to do. I got it in a auction lot with about 15 other kits for less than the price of the new kit. The kit has their old address and not the new one.

Alexander Kit
Ikea style instructions! Been there, done that. I'm sure you've picked up some useful techniques from this build, like painting those trim strips before attaching them! We learn by doing. The biggest most important thing with any craftsman kit is to take your time. The second biggest is to test fit before gluing. I get quite a bit of satisfaction out of these. They are lots of fun.

When ya gonna build that FSM kit? You've been teasing us with that box for several posts now. 😁

I'm not sure if my skills are there yet. I do have a campbell wharf #307 to build and I need to finish the riverboat before I start on the fsm depot. I would like to get a smaller fsm kit (maybe a water tank or the coal and sand shed) to get a better feel for that level of kit. I really want one of the pile driver kits too but I don't want the layout to be overcrowded. I've got a heap of sea wall to build as well
20201027_162500.jpg
20201027_162528.jpg

Did I post anything today - I think not?
Anyhoo, neighbor and I finished the wheelchair ramp for the disabled VET. We put in just about 12 hours over three days (not counting material shopping and travel time) and both of us are dragging today. I found out that I have some muscles that I have not used in a long time. The Advil bottle is down considerably!
Not only that but the winds were artrosis yesterday almost blowing you over if caught off balance a little. Up North from us 70 miles thereabouts they were clocked at 96 mph and 30 miles or so from where we were, they've got a couple of fast moving wildfires with evacs and such going on - just another day out here!
Speaking of that - we are now fastly approaching an inch behind on our annual rainfall; there is none forecast during the next 10 days, but temps will climb back into the mid eighties from the low 70's where we are today.
A couple photos from our last work!
Ramp 01.jpg
Ramp 02.jpg

Good Afternoon Everybody. Different time on the coast this year. I just came in off the balcony and there isn't a single person on the beach. Despite being overcast, it was quite pleasant earlier today, and there were a few people out there. It's still 81° right now.
We went to the Gulf Shores Zoo this morning, that was quite a pleasant trip. Wife's knee didn't give her any problems. We're avoiding going to her sister's rented house, because four of the five occupants there have diarrhea.
We're currently exploring options right now, because we were notified that the condo management is going to turn off the elevator tomorrow morning at 10:00. It will be off for 24 hours minimum, depending on when someone can get back out to turn it on Thursday morning. Management has agreed to refund the next two nights (Wed & Thurs) if we choose to check out, something they normally don't do. We could just go over to the Hampton Inn for the rest of the time, my choice. Another option is to go to house with the virus where they have a spare unused room; or just go home, the least likely option.
I am not going to go to the railroad museum in Foley, it wasn't really planned this year. While the museum is open, the model rail display is not open due to the China Virus.
Just found out that the reason condo management is so willing to refund payment is because there is a voluntary evacuation order for non-residents on the island.
So back to decision making, at least my wife. I have expressed my opinion but it is generally ignored.

I'm not sure if my skills are there yet. I do have a campbell wharf #307 to build and I need to finish the riverboat before I start on the fsm depot. I would like to get a smaller fsm kit (maybe a water tank or the coal and sand shed) to get a better feel for that level of kit. I really want one of the pile driver kits too but I don't want the layout to be overcrowded. I've got a heap of sea wall to build as wellView attachment 120076View attachment 120077
Got a tip for you. Go on You Tube and search for a guy who goes by "asd asx" He has a bunch of videos up on building these kits. They do look intimidating when you open the box and see all that stuff, no doubt about it. Once you watch him do a couple, it's not so intimidating anymore. Also, most of those kits keep the buildings in separate bags, and you can build one at a time. As we used to say in the business "Eat the elephant one bite at a time"!

Got a tip for you. Go on You Tube and search for a guy who goes by "asd asx" He has a bunch of videos up on building these kits. They do look intimidating when you open the box and see all that stuff, no doubt about it. Once you watch him do a couple, it's not so intimidating anymore. Also, most of those kits keep the buildings in separate bags, and you can build one at a time. As we used to say in the business "Eat the elephant one bite at a time"!

Thank you so much. I'll definitely look that channel up tonight

Could always put them in the foreground as forced perspective? Might mean having to put them behind you though, for best effect.
RAY - I think that you have been standing on your head "down under" too long! LOL
It's getting spring there - go to the beach and look at some girls - do you good?

Good morning from the Oregon /Cancerfornia border. Doing the mid 20's right now, upper 60's lower 70's for highs the rest of the week, no moisture is immediately forecast.
Hash browns, 2 easy eggs, sausage patties w/side of gravy & texas toast (on the verge of flames) please Flo.
Neat pics of the coaling towers, there is nothing like that here in this portion of the railroad world. A few derelict grain elevators or packing sheds, but even most of them have been torn down.
Sherrel....great job on the ramp! 👍

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!
BE SAFE OUT THERE!

Morning all,

Well, temps rose overnight from 29° to 32° and stuff is starting to melt. Rain is moving in the area and while we're under a winter weather advisory, most are not expecting temps to fall where we get severe issues we've had the past couple of days. Roads nearly normal this morning. High today expected to be 41°. They are expecting 2-3" of rain over the next 24-36 hours posting a flood watch through Thursday night, but as dry as it's been, I really don't think we're going to have any serious issues.

Sherrel: Great job on the ramp.

Willie: Sorry your vacation isn't as much fun this year, but glad to hear the Mrs. knee replacement is doing well.

While not round, here is a photo of an old coaling tower that's in my old home town of Grand Haven, Mi.
3554194062_560e6554f8_b.jpg

And the engine is the Pere Marquette 1223 on static display. It is the sister engine to Pere Marquette1225 (The Polar Express engine).

Good Morning All from Gulf Shores AL. Cloudy and 79°, 89% humidity...seems like it's raining about 30 miles west of here according to the radar. Outer bands from the hurricane Zeta. Doesn't appear to be any headed directly here yet. Looking at the radar in the Gulf, it doesn't seem to be as much rain as I normally see associated with hurricanes. But they do tend to catch everyone off-guard. Jim Cantore is over in Gulfport MS, so we're probably OK here. Politicians here are freaking out, but most folks seem to be taking things in stride and don't seem to expect any major disaster. It did not rain here yesterday or last night as predicted.
Our condo is still going to shut down the elevator at 10:00, so we're leaving. While I would have preferred to head to the Hampton Inn one mile inland, my wife decided that she would rather go and stay with her sister, right on the beach! I guess that we'll see what happens out there.

How about a couple of breakfast burritos this morning Flo. Sausage, potato, egg and cheese will do. A healthy helping of spicy salsa on the side.

I surely miss the train shed back home. Thankfully I turned the heater on out there so it will be comfortable when I return Friday.

Joe - You're correct about there being two bad choices in many elections. At home, there is usually only one candidate in many down-ballot offices as well. In my 50 years of voting, I have only voted for the winning Presidential candidate three times. That's just a 25% success rate! It's too bad that personalities get in the way of policies so often.
Alan - Over the years, I would have really relished the thought of building a Sierra West kit. They just never fit my era or locale and if they came close they sold out before I had a chance to act. I imagine that they come up on Ebay every so often, but I am not an online shopper so I would probably miss them.
Garry - Continued well wishes and I hope the test comes back negative.

Gotta go now, time to start packing. Everybody stay safe and have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back