Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all. 59° and foggy...again! It will more or less stay this way until Sunday. Have a few little chores for today, plus a walk, and some business to take care of. l also have to complete and drop off my mail in ballot.

Last night, after dinner, I went down to the train room, and tried to locate switches, based on my plan drawing. Didn't get very far, no inspiration, and retreated back to the family room. Looks like it's back to the drawing board, because what looks good on paper, doesn't look so good on plywood.

Figures and the Cub Cadet look great, Guy. Now, for Sherrel's girl from the advertisement....

Patrick: Hope your daughters last treatment is success. That has to be hard on everyone.

Justin: Tedious or not, those "Camp" houses look great. Can't wait to see a photo of them placed on the layout, and populated.

Dennis: Looks good.

Time to Take another Ride on the Reading...
RDG MU Fern Rock 10-21-1968.jpg

Fern Rock (PA) 10-21-1968

Good Morning All. Clear and 67° this beautiful fall morning, although I can only see stars right now. Moon set before midnight. Another day today with the afternoon temperature in the mid-80's, before another cool front in the morning really cools things off...high Saturday is only forecast at 63° with rain tomorrow accompanying the arrival (of the front) around 8:00.
Grocery/beer trek this morning, a light one since I won't be buying anything perishable today.

How about some sausage and egg biscuits this morning Flo. Get a doughnut for Troy from me.

Thanks for the likes, comments and other reactions made yesterday; Justin, Troy, James, Chad, Sherrel, Karl, Joe, Garry, Tom O, Gary, Tom, Phil, Guy, Chet, Ken, Jerome, Jerry, Patrick.

Things are slowing down in the train shed as vacation preparations are taking priority right now. Just ran some trains yesterday, and looked for a diesel horn that came off a SD45. Found it on the floor where I had stepped on it. Hoping that the glue job works out; they tend to not work.

Having nothing else to show, let's return to my railfan trip to the Alliance Yard in 2002. Here's a couple of 8-axle freight cars that happened to be side by side.
013_13.jpg

012_12.jpg

On the tanker, the wheels in the middle are on the adjacent track. Pictures were taken by a fellow railfan friend.

Guy - I prefer using enamels on figures, but I am using acrylics more and more lately. I still use enamels occasionally, but the cleanup and the fumes began to bother me as I aged. Nice job on the ones shown yesterday. I see that Sherrel enjoyed seeing Mary-Jo
Joe - Big confrontations here in Texas when Hobby Lobby (Michaels and Joann's as well) refused to close their stores back in April; claiming that they were essential businesses selling supplies to make masks and other safety equipment. My experience with HL is that it is a giant store and there are generally less than 30-40 customers there at any given time that it is impossible to not social distance, except at the checkouts. They all opened back up by June.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 67° this beautiful fall morning, although I can only see stars right now. Moon set before midnight. Another day today with the afternoon temperature in the mid-80's, before another cool front in the morning really cools things off...high Saturday is only forecast at 63° with rain tomorrow accompanying the arrival (of the front) around 8:00.
Grocery/beer trek this morning, a light one since I won't be buying anything perishable today.

How about some sausage and egg biscuits this morning Flo. Get a doughnut for Troy from me.

Thanks for the likes, comments and other reactions made yesterday; Justin, Troy, James, Chad, Sherrel, Karl, Joe, Garry, Tom O, Gary, Tom, Phil, Guy, Chet, Ken, Jerome, Jerry, Patrick.

Things are slowing down in the train shed as vacation preparations are taking priority right now. Just ran some trains yesterday, and looked for a diesel horn that came off a SD45. Found it on the floor where I had stepped on it. Hoping that the glue job works out; they tend to not work.

Having nothing else to show, let's return to my railfan trip to the Alliance Yard in 2002. Here's a couple of 8-axle freight cars that happened to be side by side.
View attachment 119816
View attachment 119817
On the tanker, the wheels in the middle are on the adjacent track. Pictures were taken by a fellow railfan friend.

Guy - I prefer using enamels on figures, but I am using acrylics more and more lately. I still use enamels occasionally, but the cleanup and the fumes began to bother me as I aged. Nice job on the ones shown yesterday. I see that Sherrel enjoyed seeing Mary-Jo
Joe - Big confrontations here in Texas when Hobby Lobby (Michaels and Joann's as well) refused to close their stores back in April; claiming that they were essential businesses selling supplies to make masks and other safety equipment. My experience with HL is that it is a giant store and there are generally less than 30-40 customers there at any given time that it is impossible to not social distance, except at the checkouts. They all opened back up by June.

Everybody have a great day.

Those are great shots of the 8-axle loads!

Good morning. Maybe not so good. Winter is giving s a preview of what's to come. Woke up to 17 degrees and what appears to be about 6 inches of snow.
thumbnail_20201022_090008.jpg

Went out and cleared the snow off of the wife's car and got a second cup of coffee. I am a bit stiff after working on the trim work at my friends house with all of the getting up and down and kneeling on the floor. I heard from him a short while ago and he is also stiff, (I did not admit to my stiffness) and was wondering if we could complete the trim work in the near future. Sounds good to me. Think I'll watch some railroad videos today.

Willie
- Great photos as usual. All of the small details and figures add so much to a scene. Nice work. Glad you got a clean bill of health.

Joe - Those electrics look like they could do some serious pulling. On the commuter car, what is the object over the top of the headlight?

Justin - Like the photos. The company houses look good.

dennis461 - Like your photo also. A nice scene to fill a pesky corner. They can be hard to work with.

Guess I'll post some old photos of the Gallatin Gateway In again. It is less than a mile from me built by the Milwaukee Road for passengers going to Yellowstone Park not very far south of us.

Gallatin%20Gateway%20bus.jpg

Gallatin_Gateway_Inn-JSP4.JPG

42158431_2001586253196680_991736385624866816_n.jpg

41958040_2001586279863344_5605957237915779072_n.jpg

21200558_1188509551294821_3852756552441115865_o.jpg

The highway atthe bottom of the last photo is US-191 which is the main highway south to West Yellowstone and the park. The sign that is just to the left of the driveway states that the Inn is a national Historic site. The In was renovated in the late 90's and they tried to make a go of the place as a business having an outstanding restaurant in the original dining room and also having rooms available but it didn't work out. The inn is now being leased for housing for workers at the Big Sky ski resort about 30 miles to the south.

Going to take the day off. Later

Good morning from Wisconsin. Pictures, I love the pictures you guys are posting. I regret not knocking on the door of a guy in Marshfield, Wi on Hwy T that had a couple speeders parked on a track in from of his train Station in his front yard. Speeders are cool and there were 100’s of types back in the early days.

Found a 1/2 roll of florist wire and made 20 more trees yesterday and last night. Just finished my last bottle of Hobby Tac and will be adding the polyfiber after lunch. There is always room for more trees on the layout. No more wire, no tacky glue and not much polyfiber left. The tree building dates are usually in March. Another project out of the way, so back to the a Paper Mill. Have a great day TomO
BA50FC4E-06D2-4AAD-A9DB-3E71E746C1DA.jpeg

My experience with HL is that it is a giant store and there are generally less than 30-40 customers there at any given time that it is impossible to not social distance, except at the checkouts. They all opened back up by June.

Willie:
Checkouts would be better if they actually employed more than one cashier at a time. :rolleyes: But that would add "pennies" to the cost of doing business.

Joe - Those electrics look like they could do some serious pulling. On the commuter car, what is the object over the top of the headlight?
Chet: That is the "Buss Bar" connector, allowing the train to operate with fewer pantographs contacting the wire. The Reading's catenary, was not built to the PRR's Heavy Electric standards, and the "Dutch" road operated on the basis of "Less is More". I see ths "snow" is back. I'm also very impressed how open the country around your place is.

Since it's a cold, dark day, thought I might play a bit. Just an old man making up stories with little people:

Hardware Harry picked up the new garden tractor today. He would like to get it into the store soon, as he knows Rebecca will be in shortly to have a look at it. Mary-Jo is recommending that he get a set of ramps, and she'll help unload:
Delivery1.jpg

They managed to get it into the store showroom, where Mary-jo offered to pose with it before the sale. She can't help but express her disappointment that the new tractor was scratched somewhere during delivery. That means a discount for Rebecca, unless they can fix it quick enough:
Finish1_10-22-2020.jpg

Wow! I had better find something else to do!

Since it's a cold, dark day, thought I might play a bit. Just an old man making up stories with little people:

Hardware Harry picked up the new garden tractor today. He would like to get it into the store soon, as he knows Rebecca will be in shortly to have a look at it. Mary-Jo is recommending that he get a set of ramps, and she'll help unload:
View attachment 119826

They managed to get it into the store showroom, where Mary-jo offered to pose with it before the sale. She can't help but express her disappointment that the new tractor was scratched somewhere during delivery. That means a discount for Rebecca, unless they can fix it quick enough:
View attachment 119827

for those of you cutting grass in the heat ! model this one
mower.jpg

Howdy

We still don’t have the computer back. Long story. The guy who helps us with computers had surgery. When he was able to work on it, he found the hard drive we purchased was not compatible with our computer even though it was supposed to be. We sent it back. That gave us time to rethink what kind of HD. Now it will be a solid state HD.

I had appreciated advice from Terry and other people I know about solid state hard drives . So I think I will be learning from experience.

Guy ... The lawn tractor is amazing.

On the layout , I weathered the steel trestle which was ahead of GP7 in the photo I posted. In that picture, the ties were too black. I also replaced some missing ties on the steel trestle.

I re-took the photo. This time it has a Burlington passenger train instead of. Great Northern Empire Builder.

822CAD63-4449-4965-9FBB-4E317A71970A.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Today youngest grandson spent the day with us. His Mom thinks he has pink eye although I see no signs of it. Of course his doctor was unavailable today so he has a overnight stay here then has a appointment at 8:30 tomorrow morning. Today on the layout I got the plastering done on the right end, Did some mock up planning and finally broke up 3 packs of clump foliage. Tomorrow I will paint the plaster then take some pictures.

Justin- Nice speeder and company house build.

Dennis- Great layout scene.

Joe- Another great photo.

Willie- Great photos. That tank car is huge.

Chet- Nice historical photos and current ones. Way, way, way too much snow.

Guy- Very nice modeling.

Garry- Beautiful layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

View attachment 119826

View attachment 119827

Where's the mower deck???

Evening all!! I hope that everyone had a good strong week. Does anyone know if the Hobbytown EMD E7 (37508F-1) flywheel drive power chassis is compatible with the Cary E3,E4,E6 bodies (#13-8)? If not, what is the recommended Hobbytown goodies for these bodies? I may have just paid more than I should have for a body but I've wanted an E4 for some time now. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back